Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,864 members, 7,810,292 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:56 AM

7 Tips To Help First-time Parents Prepare Financially For A Newborn - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 7 Tips To Help First-time Parents Prepare Financially For A Newborn (19263 Views)

Newborn Brazilian Baby Frowns At Doctor Seconds After Delivery, Turns Meme / Son-in-law Impregnates Mother-in-law Who Came To Take Care Of Newborn Baby (pics / 7 Tips To Help First-time Parents Prepare Financially For A Newborn (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Tips To Help First-time Parents Prepare Financially For A Newborn by JARUSHUB: 1:04pm On Jun 13, 2017
Congratulations! In the next few months, your first piccaninny will be in your hands. You will be unable to control your joy and of course, you have thought of different things you will do for your newborn. This is why preparing for a baby takes a lot of work, planning, and energy. For your plans to come to fruition, you need money. So, whether you are a first time parent or planning to have one in the future, Jumia Travel, the leading online travel agency, shares ways to financially prepare for a newborn especially if you are having a baby for the first time.

Start saving

Having a baby means that your financial responsibilities are about to double or triple. The best way to cushion the effect or impact of this is to start saving. Do not wait until you see your wife’s protruding belly before you start.

Set up a baby fund

Some banks have packages for customers who want to establish a baby fund. You only need to approach them. Tell them to deduct a certain percentage from your account at the end of the month for your baby fund. If you like, it can be a joint account.

Adjust your budget

A budget is the ultimate way to check your spending. With a new member coming into your family, you have to overhaul your budget to accommodate or reflect the changes. Check your budget again and again and remove non-essential items you do not need. Do this with your better half.

Figure out your income

When you have a baby, it doesn’t mean your income will increase. Will you work more jobs to earn more income? Even if the income is enough, how do you intend to assign the money so that it can go round? Remember that there are other responsibilities besides having your baby.

Review your spending

After you get married, you have to streamline your spending. There is no room for extravagance. Even if this is the case before you had a baby, you have to stop after having a baby. This doesn’t mean you should live below the line.

Keep your baby purchases in check

There is the tendency that you may want to spend so much on your baby whether they need whatever you are buying or not because you are excited. Do not make this mistake , buy things that are important and essential for their upkeep. Other things can come later.

Do not throw a lavish christening

We love parties in Nigeria and we love to celebrate everything. If you have to celebrate the christening of your child, it has to be in moderation. There is no need to go all out.

source: http://www.opinions.ng/7-tips-help-first-time-parents-prepare-financially-newborn/

cc: lalasticlala mynd44

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 7 Tips To Help First-time Parents Prepare Financially For A Newborn by bencarter(m): 1:19pm On Jun 13, 2017
hmm all this process just for new born baby wat if u no get work u go kill ur self

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Tips To Help First-time Parents Prepare Financially For A Newborn by Crauxx(m): 1:19pm On Jun 13, 2017
This guy on top na bastard.

Tip: dont get pregnant if you know you cannot take care of the baby period. angry

21 Likes

Re: 7 Tips To Help First-time Parents Prepare Financially For A Newborn by SamAbims(m): 1:20pm On Jun 13, 2017
Ok
Re: 7 Tips To Help First-time Parents Prepare Financially For A Newborn by Aromas: 1:21pm On Jun 13, 2017
Na so...... Baby, your Daddy is ready.....
Re: 7 Tips To Help First-time Parents Prepare Financially For A Newborn by naughtylagosguy(m): 1:22pm On Jun 13, 2017
Olubee22, let's start planning.
Re: 7 Tips To Help First-time Parents Prepare Financially For A Newborn by dapyd1(m): 1:24pm On Jun 13, 2017
Don't give birth of you are not psychologically and financially ready.

Iya a jẹ orí ẹ.

6 Likes

Re: 7 Tips To Help First-time Parents Prepare Financially For A Newborn by brixton: 1:24pm On Jun 13, 2017
Thank u! Aww baby smiles and yawns are so infectious!!!
Re: 7 Tips To Help First-time Parents Prepare Financially For A Newborn by horciglowri(f): 1:25pm On Jun 13, 2017
I am here to learn

Expecting fathers and mothers how have u been dealing?

Already fathers and mothers how did you deal?
Re: 7 Tips To Help First-time Parents Prepare Financially For A Newborn by BizLifeE: 1:26pm On Jun 13, 2017
There's no way they can prepare financially if they're both jobless or dead broke.

Perfect Money/Payeer/Epay/Neteller: .com.ng
Re: 7 Tips To Help First-time Parents Prepare Financially For A Newborn by Thoby1(m): 1:28pm On Jun 13, 2017
Nice 1

1 Like

Re: 7 Tips To Help First-time Parents Prepare Financially For A Newborn by userplainly(m): 1:30pm On Jun 13, 2017
What ever u r tipping will not work in Nigeria........ U forget say price dey change everyday? Abeggi

1 Like

Re: 7 Tips To Help First-time Parents Prepare Financially For A Newborn by ioreth69(f): 1:30pm On Jun 13, 2017
bencarter:
hmm all this process just for new born baby wat if u no get work u go kill ur self
E no easy o,very expensive, hospital bill, baby tinz,hmm

2 Likes

Re: 7 Tips To Help First-time Parents Prepare Financially For A Newborn by asdfjklhaha(f): 1:33pm On Jun 13, 2017
K
Re: 7 Tips To Help First-time Parents Prepare Financially For A Newborn by Wynnah(m): 1:34pm On Jun 13, 2017
Learnt.
Re: 7 Tips To Help First-time Parents Prepare Financially For A Newborn by holluphemydavid(m): 1:37pm On Jun 13, 2017
let me start saving grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: 7 Tips To Help First-time Parents Prepare Financially For A Newborn by agent01(m): 1:37pm On Jun 13, 2017
You forgot to add this. Be prepared for family planning to avoid ''had I known''.

2 Likes

Re: 7 Tips To Help First-time Parents Prepare Financially For A Newborn by dauddy97(m): 1:38pm On Jun 13, 2017
dapyd1:
Don't give birth of you are not psychologically and financially ready.

Iya a jẹ orí ẹ.
hello bro,how were u able to write in yoruba,which keyboard are u using and how did u go about it?
Re: 7 Tips To Help First-time Parents Prepare Financially For A Newborn by Nobody: 1:41pm On Jun 13, 2017
grin grin grin cheesy

Op the Op..nah Nigeria people dey work more than one job abi? Okay ooo continue...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 7 Tips To Help First-time Parents Prepare Financially For A Newborn by okonja(m): 1:51pm On Jun 13, 2017
Cut your coat according to your pocket.

Don't buy everything you see other people bought all in the name of you too must have it, Not all will be useful at the end of the day.

My baby stopped sleeping in his cot right from 2nd week...and many other things you will find out later anyway grin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Tips To Help First-time Parents Prepare Financially For A Newborn by ckmayoca: 2:03pm On Jun 13, 2017
All these for 18k earner also in this nigeria?
Re: 7 Tips To Help First-time Parents Prepare Financially For A Newborn by integrity85(m): 2:09pm On Jun 13, 2017
dauddy97:
hello bro,how were u able to write in yoruba,which keyboard are u using and how did u go about it?

Download SwiftKey. It gives you the option to download and type in many indigenous languages. It aids my Igbo Language typing with all the underneath dots.

1 Like

Re: 7 Tips To Help First-time Parents Prepare Financially For A Newborn by Rett0: 2:11pm On Jun 13, 2017
Nice one
Re: 7 Tips To Help First-time Parents Prepare Financially For A Newborn by Orpe7(m): 2:35pm On Jun 13, 2017
Open an ARMLIFE EDUCATION PLAN account for the child n start saving
Re: 7 Tips To Help First-time Parents Prepare Financially For A Newborn by peacettw: 2:55pm On Jun 13, 2017
What I learnt over time were these
1. Breastfeed your baby at least for the first 4 months: You will save a ton on baby feeds, bottles, sterilizers, reduced incidences of illness and hospital visits etc.

2. Use pampers: Surprised I didn't say napkins? With pampers, the.risk of diaper dermatitis and candidiasis are greatly reduced. You will also save on the water, soap and the general stress experienced keeping the napkins clean. Again, if you are not strict on adhering to hygiene when disposing the waste as you wash the napkins, your baby can fall sick with Diarrhea etc. Dont forget to factor in the time spent. All in all, getting a disposable diaper is much cheaper.

3. Rather than investing in a cot etc. Just get the mini cot constructed with mosquito net and you are good to go.

4. Never buy any baby clothes within 0 to 3 months: You will be amazed at how fast your baby will grow in less than a month hence might not fit into any of those clothes. Rather invest in clothes for 3 to 6 months and buy just a few.

5. If you must feed with artificial milk or when your baby is above 4 months and ready to take semi solid foods, use cup and spoon rather than bottles. The risk of Diarrhea is greatly reduced as well as the cost of general maintenance amd hygiene.

6. I never used powder, creams and disinfectants in bathing water for any of my babies. Not only can they be harmful but I am living witness that without them your baby will do just fine.

7. Do you really need baby shoes? Think about it for a minute here. What will a pair of expensive shoes do that a beautifully designed socks can't do? Exactly, absolutely nothing except to drain your pockets.

8. You also don't need special foreign detergents to wash your baby clothes. I did that for my first born well cos I felt I had to protect her delicate skin. That novelty quickly wore off when I realised that ordinary detergents aren't exactly made to corrode one's skin either, just rinse repeatedly and you are good to go.

9. I am not hating on designer clothes cos lots of them are really pretty and durable. Rather than buy a new one, second hand designers might be a cheaper alternative.

10. Last but not the least, when your baby is of age, use all that extra cash and invest it in a rich complimentary feed that contains both macro and micronutrients. Personally, I prefer cerelac rather than making pap fortified with all manner of things which I consider stressful, expensive and sometimes not entirely hygienic esp if you arent the one preparing it yourself. I always augment the ceralac with family diet by the side. I switch to family diet fully when they are 2 years of age.

31 Likes

Re: 7 Tips To Help First-time Parents Prepare Financially For A Newborn by kevoh(m): 2:57pm On Jun 13, 2017
okonja:
Cut your coat according to your pocket.

Don't buy everything you see other people bought all in the name of you too must have it, Not all will be useful at the end of the day.

My baby stop sleeping in his cot right from 2nd week...and many other things you will find out later anyway grin
Your own even tried...mine never slept in it for one night. grin Also don't rush spending heavily on expensive new baby clothes, my DS is always outgrowing his clothes within 2 to 3 weeks, I and wifey gave ourselves brain and bought okrika instead. tongue New clothes were restricted to only outing clothes.
There's baby food, Huggies, baby drugs, shoes and a whole lot of things to buy and always buy. Infact there's nothing like being broke when it comes to their matter! You must bring out the money! cool

1 Like

Re: 7 Tips To Help First-time Parents Prepare Financially For A Newborn by okonja(m): 3:06pm On Jun 13, 2017
kevoh:

Your own even tried...mine never slept in it for one night. grin Also don't rush spending heavily on expensive new baby clothes, my DS is always outgrowing his clothes within 2 to 3 weeks, I and wifey gave ourselves brain and bought okrika instead. tongue New clothes were restricted to only outing clothes.
There's baby food, Huggies, baby drugs, shoes and a whole lot of things to buy and always buy. Infact there's nothing like being broke when it comes to their matter! You must bring out the money! cool

That's it bro... cool cool, But if you see him now running around with his walker after taking Cerelac + Nan, Sebatian Vettel no fight catch ham grin grin
Re: 7 Tips To Help First-time Parents Prepare Financially For A Newborn by kevoh(m): 3:13pm On Jun 13, 2017
okonja:

That's it bro... cool cool, But if you see him now running around with his walker after taking Cerelac + Nan, Sebatian Vettel no fight catch ham grin grin
Na so, the joy you derive in seeing them grow! grin grin grin Mine is already walking and interested in grown up activities. You are making a call, he wants your fone, working on your laptop, he wants to work on your laptop too. Mum is mopping, he will play with the water in the bucket... cool cool Only you know how much you will be spending every day but the joy in seeing your family happy far outweighs any money you've spent.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Tips To Help First-time Parents Prepare Financially For A Newborn by GOFRONT(m): 3:41pm On Jun 13, 2017
My Galfrnd is pregnant and am about to be a father.....If I hav a Dorra, guess wat amma Call her!!!
Re: 7 Tips To Help First-time Parents Prepare Financially For A Newborn by futureroyal(m): 4:12pm On Jun 13, 2017
@josh121, I'm expecting you here. comma learn a thing or two oo because as e don be so. you already know sha
Re: 7 Tips To Help First-time Parents Prepare Financially For A Newborn by dauddy97(m): 4:14pm On Jun 13, 2017
integrity85:

Download SwiftKey. It gives you the option to download and type in many indigenous languages. It aids my Igbo Language typing with all the underneath dots.

10x bro

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Is Your Preferred Gender When It Comes To Having Children / Lady Accused Of Stealing Mother's Day Writeup (Photos) / Pastor Joel Obazee & Wife Welcome A Baby After 13 Years Of Waiting (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.