Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,585 members, 7,812,913 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:14 PM

Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise - Politics (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise (35278 Views)

Are The Igbos Really Jews? See The Colonial Flag And Currency Of Nigeria / Why Do Igbos Hate Buhari? - Mustapha Gembu, Hausa Activist / Are Igbos Really 'Special Brothers' With The Delta Ethnicities? If So, How? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by sukkot: 8:05am On Jul 15, 2023
XAUBulls:

Indeed Sukkot... Lol.
Do have a great weekend!

lol cest finir. was dude serious ? skit ?

2 Likes

Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by XAUBulls: 8:44am On Jul 15, 2023
sukkot:
lol cest finir. was dude serious ? skit ?
G'morning again Sukkot.

Yeah, the dude being interviewed in the skit was serious... He gave his contradictorily hilarious opinion about rape being a punishable offense, but then he went on to say in his funny mother tongue accent that in marriage, there is NO rape which of course is false.
The fact that a man is married to a woman doesn't mean he can brutally have his way with her sexually without both of them being in sync. This is based on the rule of law.

Last but not least, I forgot to ask you about the "map" that you referenced on page 1 of this your 2017 thread. I couldn't find an attachment of it. Can you get me the map you were talking about from Google Images?

Despite the Ibos NOT being on the map like you stated, the group of people now called Ibos where already known to the Europeans in the history books I have read as "Eboes" during the slave trade in the late 1700s and 1800s because they were captured in large numbers by especially the Aros (and their allies like the Ohafia and Mbams in the current Abia State) and sold to the Ijaws, Efiks, Ibibios, etc, who were the middlemen through Bonny Island, Calabar and other slave ports in the Bight of Bonny Region.

American, Spanish and British slave ships regularly visited Bonny Island, Calabar, Kalabari Kingdom because the demand for human labor on the plantations was high in the Americas. A certain white American slave ship Captain wrote in his log book in the 1790s that 3 out of 4 enslaved people that where taken on slave ships out of Bonny Island, were from the Eboes.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by sukkot: 12:04pm On Jul 15, 2023
XAUBulls:

G'morning again Sukkot.

Yeah, the dude being interviewed in the skit was serious... He gave his contradictorily hilarious opinion about rape being a punishable offense, but then he went on to say in his funny mother tongue accent that in marriage, there is NO rape which of course is false.
The fact that a man is married to a woman doesn't mean he can brutally have his way with her sexually without both of them being in sync. This is based on the rule of law.

Last but not least, I forgot to ask you about the "map" that you referenced on page 1 of this your 2017 thread. I couldn't find an attachment of it. Can you get me the map you were talking about from Google Images?

Despite the Ibos NOT being on the map like you stated, the group of people now called Ibos where already known to the Europeans in the history books I have read as "Eboes" during the slave trade in the late 1700s and 1800s because they were captured in large numbers by especially the Aros (and their allies like the Ohafia and Mbams in the current Abia State) and sold to the Ijaws, Efiks, Ibibios, etc, who were the middlemen through Bonny Island, Calabar and other slave ports in the Bight of Bonny Region.

American, Spanish and British slave ships regularly visited Bonny Island, Calabar, Kalabari Kingdom because the demand for human labor on the plantations was high in the Americas. A certain white American slave ship Captain wrote in his log book in the 1790s that 3 out of 4 enslaved people that where taken on slave ships out of Bonny Island, were from the Eboes.

top of the morning to you brother XAUBulls. Yeah forget that guy, just another ignorant primitive demonic specimen we call a citizen of Nigeria lmao. Trust me these mouth breathing knuckle dragging species are all over this land . As per the map, I wouldn't even know how to get it for you. Most of the sites I got these resources from May not even be working today. The thread was made 7 years ago, most of these sites have defaulted on their hosting fees and been removed and so I don't even know but save that picture because if nairaland goes down you may never have access to that particular picture again. Chief I hear what you are saying about the history but how is such a ' prominent' tribe left out of the map of the time ? Is there an explanation for that ? It's like creating a map today and every tribe is present except Hausa. Would that be possible ? It's impossible right ? Unless of cause no tribe named Hausa exist then it would make sense right ? Can you offer an explanation why a prominent tribe is not included on the map ?

1 Like

Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by XAUBulls: 2:07pm On Jul 15, 2023
sukkot:
top of the morning to you brother XAUBulls. Yeah forget that guy, just another ignorant primitive demonic specimen we call a citizen of Nigeria lmao. Trust me these mouth breathing knuckle dragging species are all over this land . As per the map, I wouldn't even know how to get it for you. Most of the sites I got these resources from May not even be working today. The thread was made 7 years ago, most of these sites have defaulted on their hosting fees and been removed and so I don't even know but save that picture because if nairaland goes down you may never have access to that particular picture again. Chief I hear what you are saying about the history but how is such a ' prominent' tribe left out of the map of the time ? Is there an explanation for that ? It's like creating a map today and every tribe is present except Hausa. Would that be possible ? It's impossible right ? Unless of cause no tribe named Hausa exist then it would make sense right ? Can you offer an explanation why a prominent tribe is not included on the map ?
Indeed Sukkot. Thanks for your excellent feedback as usual.

Too many website owners don't bother to renew their domain names and hosting for at least 10 years thereby giving room to domain hijackers to literally grab those domain names. Then they literally lose the rights to use the domain names and webhost again.

Yes, about those folks... Because of my vast knowledge of African and indeed world history, the people you call Ibos as of today did NOT call themselves Ibo, but refered to themselves by the names of their subgroups such as Orlu, Nsukka, Owerre, Ngwa, etc.

This is much like we have Ijebus, Ekitis, Ijesas, Awori for the Yorubas. But unlike the Yorubas who had a unifying Oyo Empire that was militarily strong with a powerful cavalry, weathy and engaged in long-distance trading with other big neighbors like the Asanti Empire, Benin Empire, Mali Empire, the Hausa States via the Nupe country, etc, the groups of people that the British came to refer to collectively as Ibo today lived in isolated republican communities that were NOT centralized like Oyo or Benin Empires and were usually antagonistic to one another, and spoke various dialects. It was the arrival of the British that was responsible for the coalescing of these tribes into a centralized Ibo group with the creation of a central Ibo language created by the British to make communication easy among the different subgroups whose dialects or languages where unintelligible to other "Ibos" from other areas of their region.

So, yeah in that kind of situation where there was antagonism, canibalism in some of those communities, and their neighbors close to the waters or ocean, like the Efiks, Ibibios, Ijaws, Igalas, looked down on those tribes in the Ibo interior as primitive or bush people... (Igbo or bush) was a derogatory word to them.

In summary, the absence of a centralized system like an empire definitely limited the placing of the Ibo country on the maps that you talked about... And also, in terms of landmass, the Ibo area is the size of Swaziland, so I too noticed that the Ibo occupy a small area on those maps or even not at all.

In his hugely popular history book of the 1920s called "The History of Nigeria" by Sir Allan Burns, who was the Acting-Governor General of Nigeria clearly refered to the Yorubas, Binis, Fulanis, Hausas, Kanuris, as the Advanced Civilizations. The other ethnicities such as the Ibos were clearly refered to by Sir. Burns as the Primitive Civilizations! I have a hard copy of the book, but you can also read it online via Google. As of the years beyond 1900, many of these ethnic groups in Nigeria (as revealed by the white missionaries and colonists in books and archival materials), still engaged in walking naked, or partly clothed and were into eating human beings and this is why the whites referred to them as the primitive tribes.

I hope this helps.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by delpee(f): 2:21pm On Jul 15, 2023
Na wa! Why is this even necessary?
We know that Igbos are Nigerians and have lived where they are for centuries. The Olukumis (old name) in present day Delta (Anioma) were Yorubas who moved there during the wars. We learnt that some elderly ones there still speak a dialect of Yoruba though most younger ones now bear Igbo names. I believe that they met people there who welcomed them.
Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by sukkot: 4:18pm On Jul 15, 2023
XAUBulls:

Indeed Sukkot. Thanks for your excellent feedback as usual.

Too many website owners don't bother to renew their domain names and hosting for at least 10 years thereby giving room to domain hijackers to literally grab those domain names. Then they literally lose the rights to use the domain names and webhost again.

Yes, about those folks... Because of my vast knowledge of African and indeed world history, the people you call Ibos as of today did NOT call themselves Ibo, but refered to themselves by the names of their subgroups such as Orlu, Nsukka, Owerre, Ngwa, etc.

This is much like we have Ijebus, Ekitis, Ijesas, Awori for the Yorubas. But unlike the Yorubas who had a unifying Oyo Empire that was militarily strong with a powerful cavalry, weathy and engaged in long-distance trading with other big neighbors like the Asanti Empire, Benin Empire, Mali Empire, the Hausa States via the Nupe country, etc, the groups of people that the British came to refer to collectively as Ibo today lived in isolated republican communities that were NOT centralized like Oyo or Benin Empires and were usually antagonistic to one another, and spoke various dialects. It was the arrival of the British that was responsible for the coalescing of these tribes into a centralized Ibo group with the creation of a central Ibo language created by the British to make communication easy among the different subgroups whose dialects or languages where unintelligible to other "Ibos" from other areas of their region.

So, yeah in that kind of situation where there was antagonism, canibalism in some of those communities, and their neighbors close to the waters or ocean, like the Efiks, Ibibios, Ijaws, Igalas, looked down on those tribes in the Ibo interior as primitive or bush people... (Igbo or bush) was a derogatory word to them.

In summary, the absence of a centralized system like an empire definitely limited the placing of the Ibo country on the maps that you talked about... And also, in terms of landmass, the Ibo area is the size of Swaziland, so I too noticed that the Ibo occupy a small area on those maps or even not at all.

In his hugely popular history book of the 1920s called "The History of Nigeria" by Sir Allan Burns, who was the Acting-Governor General of Nigeria clearly refered to the Yorubas, Binis, Fulanis, Hausas, Kanuris, as the Advanced Civilizations. The other ethnicities such as the Ibos were clearly refered to by Sir. Burns as the Primitive Civilizations! I have a hard copy of the book, but you can also read it online via Google. As of the years beyond 1900, many of these ethnic groups in Nigeria (as revealed by the white missionaries and colonists in books and archival materials), still engaged in walking naked, or partly clothed and were into eating human beings and this is why the whites referred to them as the primitive tribes.

I hope this helps.

ok I see you chief, I think you finally cracked the case. You decoded the mystery. A well apt and nicely presented answer. Kudos to you. Well I guess the mystery is solved then grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by XAUBulls: 4:27pm On Jul 15, 2023
sukkot:
ok I see you chief, I think you finally cracked the case. You decoded the mystery. A well apt and nicely presented answer. Kudos to you. Well I guess the mystery is solved then grin
Indeed! The 2017 mystery is decoded in 2023...Lol.

You are welcome Sukkot.

Have a great weekend ahead.
Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by sukkot: 4:39pm On Jul 15, 2023
XAUBulls:

Indeed! The 2017 mystery is decoded in 2023...Lol.

You are welcome Sukkot.

Have a great weekend ahead.
oh you did an excellent job on that piece. Splendid!!!! . Marvellous. I am about to make a thread with that piece and I would quote you and give you credit but the topic would be should Igbo ditch the name Igbo and acquire a new name since it is given as a derogatory nAme . Would you say they should keep the name or ditch it ?

1 Like

Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by 1Sharon(f): 11:25pm On Jul 15, 2023
delpee:
Na wa! Why is this even necessary?
We know that Igbos are Nigerians and have lived where they are for centuries. The Olukumis (old name) in present day Delta (Anioma) were Yorubas who moved there during the wars. We learnt that some elderly ones there still speak a dialect of Yoruba though most younger ones now bear Igbo names. I believe that they met people there who welcomed them.

You mean they became itsekiri, not Igbo. It was igbo people that became the Ika people.
Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by ruffhandu: 12:24am On Jul 16, 2023
sukkot:
so am looking at this map of nigeria in the 1800s and it shows yoruba and hausa and nupe territories and there is no mention of igbo. the igbo territories belonged to Niger protectorate and coast. my question is are igbos really from nigeria ? I am starting to think they migrated from cameroon to that region in the late 1800s. so the question is if they are Cameroonians why do they want to form biafra in nigeria ? look at this map and tell me i am wrong

www.nairaland.com/attachments/5490048_e1_jpeg0589c142e9397ad011c439904c1d6068

You all but said exactly what they wanted. They don't want to form Biafra in Nigeria, they want to return to wherever they came from , out of Nigeria. Please present this map to Nigeria let's see if they will see any sense in it. it is high we let them go.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by delpee(f): 10:28pm On Jul 21, 2023
1Sharon:

You mean they became itsekiri, not Igbo. It was igbo people that became the Ika people.

No, they're different from the Itshekiris. I read their history a while ago. There was also a feature about them in one newspaper. It was not an Itsekiri village that the journalist visited.
Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by tunjijones(m): 9:31am On Jul 22, 2023
Fremancipation:

I will take the correcting in good fate but that doesn't undermine the main point which is that igbos difnt make it easy for the British unlike some groups that surrendered their land with little to no fight. Some groups even invited them to take over

It's foolishness to indulge in a war you know u can't win. You just will just waste time , energy, resources and lives.

Just like Biafra war
Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by onumadu: 9:54am On Jul 22, 2023
I went through this useless thread and concluded that the OP is a lazy pseudo-intellectual plagued by the same INFERIORITY COMPLEX that fuels hate from his corner of Nigeria.
They hate a race of people that is racing far ahead of them in contemporary development.
They simply cannot help themselves!
They cannot show any tangible superior traits over others today, so they resort to history that they barely understand (or even pretend to want to understand).
If not for the Bible, who would have known about Israel prior to 1948?
Till date, some haters of Israel still argue that Israel never existed!
What hate can do does not exist. lol
Most of the so called "empires" in Africa were classified savages by the Europeans.
King Sobuza II of Swaziland, an absolute monarch of his time, was simply called "Paramount Chief of the Savages" by a British documentary I watched some time in past.
Each time these people brag about "Oyo empire", etc. all I can think of is that termites also have "empires".
They build termitariums and have "queens" and are "organized societies", too.
Ndi ara.
The Igbo are REPUBLICANS. Deal with it!
And I argue that a republican system is a HUMAN system which termites can NEVER mimic or replicate.
I prefer that, and so did my Igbo ancestors. cool

Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by XAUBulls: 3:11pm On Jul 27, 2023
sukkot:
Hello again @Sukkot.

Take out the time to watch this illuminating video properly that someone posted here on NL just yesterday. You can download it on your computer device for continuous viewing. Asari Dokubo was very accurate here on his historical sources. He could sometimes seem belligerant but he is a very brilliant man based on his eloquence in the video and backed up with accurate historical sources that I have read decades back from the official history books of the white folks who were in Nigeria within the last 200 years!

The FULLER VERSION of the video is on the Facebook page below and it is 1 hour 28 minutes long [1:28:34].
=> https://www.facebook.com/cibi.dabo/videos/209094868787836/?mibextid=rS40aB7S9Ucbxw6v

This YT video below is an abridged version of the one on the FB page above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxvpZBGGh2s.

Coincidentally, this recent video by Asari Dokubo explains what I discussed with you on this same thread page this month about the enslavement of primitive Ibo tribes [aka Eboe tribes according to the whites in the late 1700s to 1800s] from the interior by the Arochukwus [Aro confederacy] and there associates such as the Abams, Ohafia, etc, who sold them to the Ijaws, Ibibios and Efiks who were the middlemen linking with the white slave traders on the coast.

All the best.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by sukkot: 7:50am On Jul 28, 2023
XAUBulls:

Hello again @Sukkot.

Take out the time to watch this illuminating video properly that someone posted here on NL just yesterday. You can download it on your computer device for continuous viewing. Asari Dokubo was very accurate here on his historical sources. He could sometimes seem belligerant but he is a very brilliant man based on his eloquence in the video and backed up with accurate historical sources that I have read decades back from the official history books of the white folks who were in Nigeria within the last 200 years!

The FULLER VERSION of the video is on the Facebook page below and it is 1 hour 28 minutes long [1:28:34].
=> https://www.facebook.com/cibi.dabo/videos/209094868787836/?mibextid=rS40aB7S9Ucbxw6v

This YT video below is an abridged version of the one on the FB page above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxvpZBGGh2s.

Coincidentally, this recent video by Asari Dokubo explains what I discussed with you on this same thread page this month about the enslavement of primitive Ibo tribes [aka Eboe tribes according to the whites in the late 1700s to 1800s] from the interior by the Arochukwus [Aro confederacy] and there associates such as the Abams, Ohafia, etc, who sold them to the Ijaws who were the middlemen linking with the white slave traders on the coast.

All the best.

nice bit Of history there chief. Can’t wait to dig in. Past few days being hectic but yeah I got time now. Asari is a very intelligent man. I have heard him speak many times and I am always impressed. He understands Nigeria very well. I believe a gentleman like him with his vast knowledge of Nigeria should be offered a post in government. He would contribute

2 Likes

Re: Do Igbos Really Come From Nigeria ? This Old Map Says Otherwise by XAUBulls: 2:34pm On Jul 31, 2023
sukkot:
nice bit Of history there chief. Can’t wait to dig in. Past few days being hectic but yeah I got time now. Asari is a very intelligent man. I have heard him speak many times and I am always impressed. He understands Nigeria very well. I believe a gentleman like him with his vast knowledge of Nigeria should be offered a post in government. He would contribute
Hello again @Sukkot.
Here is a free web-based Facebook video downloader [SAVEFROM.net] you can use to quickly download Asari Dokubo's video below:
=>https://en.savefrom.net/9-how-to-download-facebook-video-217.html

Just copy the FULLER VERSION of the FB video below into Savefrom link above.

All the best!

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Wike Releases Names Of Suspected Kidnappers, Cultists, Robbers In Rivers, LIST / Buhari Has Not Endorsed N30,000 Minimum Wage – Presidency / Atiku Went To US As Aide To Saraki - Lauretta Onochie

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.