Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,428 members, 7,864,880 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 08:38 AM

Allergy Information Part 2 - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Allergy Information Part 2 (586 Views)

Please Doctors In The House What Is allergy And How Do I Get Ride Of It? / Does My Sperm Cause Allergy / Breast Milk Reduces Risk Of Infant’s Allergy -study (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Allergy Information Part 2 by Nobody: 11:01pm On Jun 13, 2017
I created a thread here >>>>
https://www.nairaland.com/3212635/allergy-information >>>>>>
on which I can't post without getting banned, hence the need to open this one.

I was avoiding medication in that thread, I will focus on medication in this one, based on personal experience.

It is to misdiagnose allergies as flu, pneumonia, food poisoning, etc

Its only after I Googled recurring symptoms (after they got serious) in my case that I suspected the symptoms
Re: Allergy Information Part 2 by Nobody: 11:01pm On Jun 13, 2017
COMMON SYMPTOMS

1.The most common - and deceptively mildest, symptom is sneezing. (I tackled allergens in the first topic.)
2. Running nose. This often accompanies sneezing
3. Congested sinuses and chest
4. Itchy throat and sinuses

If after eating, inhaling or otherwise ingesting something all the above occur within an hour, you are on the verge of a severe allergic reaction also known as ...

5. Anaphylaxis - shortness of breath and difficulty in breathing, a life threatening condition.

OTHER SYMPTOMS

6. hives - a patch of raised skin ( these are also considered severe as they increase in size and increase sensitivity and reaction to other allergens)

7. Rashes

8.Stomach ache (after eating certain allergens) etc smiley
Re: Allergy Information Part 2 by Nobody: 11:17pm On Jun 13, 2017
Indomethacine

I experienced my first anaphylactic reaction after being introduced by a friend to a pain killer, indomethacine. It works faster than over the counter paid killers and I did not suspect it at all. I rarely used it too. Until I googled "diagnosis chocking on mucus" after waking up severally struggling to breathe.

The symptoms and reactions develope gradually over several years, may be faster for a more frequent user.

This medicine has to be removed completely from a person affected by allergies, unless a doctor advises otherwise and offers remedies of its adverse effects to be taken with it. This is why its important to inform your doctor of any allergies before she subscribes medicine.
Re: Allergy Information Part 2 by Nobody: 11:25pm On Jun 13, 2017
Piriton
Always have this around. Piriton is an anti histamine, though it is abused by people who take it for its side effect - sleepiness.

Piriton is not steroid based (non steroidal) so caution is advised when dealing with severe allergic relations as it may make it worse.

For hives, normal piriton intake as subscribed by a proffessional combined with application of hormone based creams (also abused) directly on the hive.

Piriton helps with mild symptoms like sneezing and rashes too.
Re: Allergy Information Part 2 by Nobody: 11:31pm On Jun 13, 2017
CETRIZIN

This can be found at your local Chemist as Cetrimed, etc. There are generic types of various names(esp the last few letters) and strengths. A pharmacist will be able to advice on the frequency of intake according to its strength.

Cetrizin is steroid based. This is why it important to always keep a few on hand around the house. Its effective on severe symptoms which may occur when you are far from hospital of its too late at night or you just need immediate relief as you await to see the doctor.
Re: Allergy Information Part 2 by Nobody: 11:44pm On Jun 13, 2017
PRESCRIBED MEDICINE

I will not post specifics here to avoid self medication.

Many of the prescribed are steroidal anti histamines and are effective and not prescribed in isolation. They also have serious side effects.

Prescribed steroid based anti histamines mostly work by silencing and shutting down the entire body immune system in order to stop extreme allergic reactions as may be experienced in people suffering from Rhinitis. Doctors prescribe two types of anti histamines which work differently and in addition, strong anti bacterial drugs to caution the body against infections.

This is because the body is very susceptible to infections when taking prescribed anti histamines. Patients with preexisting diseases must disclose before their immune system is shut down, risking flare ups.
Re: Allergy Information Part 2 by Nobody: 11:57pm On Jun 13, 2017
Anti Histamine Creams / Insect Bite Creams

Most of these are steroid based and can be gotten at your local chemist. They are effective for rashes on the skin, hives etc

Some insects like ticks can lurk in public places like buses, other people's houses or any place with furniture, as people move them around from their houses unknowingly. Ticks cause hives as allergic reactions, and their hives can be aggressive if ignored. Other insects cause a rash that may need application of anti histamines.
Re: Allergy Information Part 2 by Nobody: 12:01am On Jun 14, 2017
LIFE STYLE

The best medicine is care before reactions. And after reactions too.

Keep the house dust free, and other insects free, (insecticides cause allergic reactions too)

Keep warm in cold weather

Eat foods that are friendly to you,

(1) (Reply)

Excess Intake Of Soft Drink Can Lead To Erectile Dysfunction -experts / Sleep Positions During Pregnancy Period / Must Read!- Health Benefits Of Drinking Green Tea

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.