Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,738 members, 7,817,031 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:02 AM

GMAT Prep: From Personal Experience - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / GMAT Prep: From Personal Experience (4176 Views)

How I Got A Fully Funded Scholarship To Study Abroad! A Personal Experience / Revising Bbc Scandal: My Personal Experience / How To Improve Your Academic Performance; My Personal Experience! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

GMAT Prep: From Personal Experience by Nobody: 5:43pm On Jun 14, 2017
The GMAT can be a bother. The mere thought of being forced to sit through 3-4 hours in front of a screen answering questions that at moments can seem esoteric isn't exactly a widely-shared hobby. On the other hand there's the multiple horror stories of failures and repeats and the general prevalence of pessimism in most anecdotal material on the exam, from both the faceless and familiar.
Just took the exam and made a 75th percentile score( not too amazing, but still good ) but i believe that others could potentially do better if they know these few tricks.

#1: Know why you want to take the exam. Business education is costly and time sensitive, therefore having clearly defined goals is a necessity. When your mindset is structured and purpose-driven you find yourself viewing things in a relatively-as opposed to baseless pondering- more relatable fashion. There's goals, obstacles and solutions. The world is easier when there's fewer categories.

#2: Understand the exam from the test-maker's angle. Do not jump into one-sided immersive algebra, arithmetic or geometry exercises that provide no references to testable material. Nothing will come out like they do in the beginning of the guide or any the workout manuals.
For example embedding simple relationships like 'distance-time-speed' and their multiple iterations goes a long way in figuring out the various iterations in which they appear.
I mean like where two elevators meet at different points or how far a preceding traveller can travel before being caught up by a trailing partner etc. Embed the math relationships and those of Verbal as well.

Sentence Correction is another area where this works. Your goal is to understand business english and literally improve communication skills. Thing is worrying about the difficulty of spotting incoherence in structure/form/grammar or parallelism/consistency in comparisons isn't the central aim. You are just acquiring those skills so that in your future job in that glitzy Lagos(/PH/Abuja etc) tower wink you unequivocally get your point across.

#3: Solve the entire guide( Official OG) as well as the verbal and math reviews of GMAC. Go to b-ok.org to get these texts. On the same site you can get princeton review and other publishers' works on gmat like the 'math workout' and 'verbal workout'. Then proceed to the GMAT software on your computer and solve every single question. It helps to copy and paste every question from the math portion with 'gmatclub' attached at the end. This search would open several gmatclub pages on explanations and solutions on that particular problem. Giving you new ways to conceptualize the problems. You want to be able to think laterally when dealing with those tricky combination/permutation problems.

#4: Relax when reading.Calm those nerves bud!!! Do not to lose control of your composure and have yourself reading a line more than two times. Cap re-reads to twice or even 1.5( i.e only key words that stand out). You want to practice reading and understanding passages in one go. The key is assimilation. You know how that Dino Melaye article on Aje kun etc etc ( don't know the full meaning and what not) got to you in one glance? Cos you were interested, captivated and then afterwards disappointed.

#5: Use the internet properly. Peruse Magoosh forums, gmatclub, search random questions, use services like gmatquantum , go on youtube, hit up every thing you can that could possibly help you find solutions to whatever problems. And pls understand all solutions( line of reasoning).

#6: You want to be reading success stories and prepping yourself for your own version on D-Day. Bad things happen, yes , but not to you!! Believe in that above all things. Not by your power of course, Im a Christin so my own version is that God's mercy is essential to success.

#7: Do not forget the essay-analytical writing assessment. Yes it isn't tested int he main exam, but it opens up ur testing experience. It could add a lot of GINGER to your test taking experience if it comes out well.
Pro-Forma is as follows:
State your standpoint point alongside the overall flaw in the general passage. Then of course look out for the usual unjustified assumption, false equivalency statements and ulterior motives etc. Be thorough!! I did a 5.5/6 on it. Happy I used that strategy.

#8: After the exam life goes on. Do not take it seriously-as in life or death serious. You will be using some of those skills you garnered to write your essays for business school, taking your analytical and grammar skills back to work. End of the day it is a cathartic experience. You gain from the whole thing.

GMAC isn't Baal( not to talk of God himself). Hit the brakes coolly and have fun. Learning is fun.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: GMAT Prep: From Personal Experience by Biut(m): 3:53pm On Aug 22, 2017
Dasuks:
The GMAT can be a bother. The mere thought of being forced to sit through 3-4 hours in front of a screen answering questions that at moments can seem esoteric isn't exactly a widely-shared hobby. On the other hand there's the multiple horror stories of failures and repeats and the general prevalence of pessimism in most anecdotal material on the exam, from both the faceless and familiar.
Just took the exam and made a 75th percentile score( not too amazing, but still good ) but i believe that others could potentially do better if they know these few tricks.

#1: Know why you want to take the exam. Business education is costly and time sensitive, therefore having clearly defined goals is a necessity. When your mindset is structured and purpose-driven you find yourself viewing things in a relatively-as opposed to baseless pondering- more relatable fashion. There's goals, obstacles and solutions. The world is easier when there's fewer categories.

#2: Understand the exam from the test-maker's angle. Do not jump into one-sided immersive algebra, arithmetic or geometry exercises that provide no references to testable material. Nothing will come out like they do in the beginning of the guide or any the workout manuals.
For example embedding simple relationships like 'distance-time-speed' and their multiple iterations goes a long way in figuring out the various iterations in which they appear.
I mean like where two elevators meet at different points or how far a preceding traveller can travel before being caught up by a trailing partner etc. Embed the math relationships and those of Verbal as well.

Sentence Correction is another area where this works. Your goal is to understand business english and literally improve communication skills. Thing is worrying about the difficulty of spotting incoherence in structure/form/grammar or parallelism/consistency in comparisons isn't the central aim. You are just acquiring those skills so that in your future job in that glitzy Lagos(/PH/Abuja etc) tower wink you unequivocally get your point across.

#3: Solve the entire guide( Official OG) as well as the verbal and math reviews of GMAC. Go to b-ok.org to get these texts. On the same site you can get princeton review and other publishers' works on gmat like the 'math workout' and 'verbal workout'. Then proceed to the GMAT software on your computer and solve every single question. It helps to copy and paste every question from the math portion with 'gmatclub' attached at the end. This search would open several gmatclub pages on explanations and solutions on that particular problem. Giving you new ways to conceptualize the problems. You want to be able to think laterally when dealing with those tricky combination/permutation problems.

#4: Relax when reading.Calm those nerves bud!!! Do not to lose control of your composure and have yourself reading a line more than two times. Cap re-reads to twice or even 1.5( i.e only key words that stand out). You want to practice reading and understanding passages in one go. The key is assimilation. You know how that Dino Melaye article on Aje kun etc etc ( don't know the full meaning and what not) got to you in one glance? Cos you were interested, captivated and then afterwards disappointed.

#5: Use the internet properly. Peruse Magoosh forums, gmatclub, search random questions, use services like gmatquantum , go on youtube, hit up every thing you can that could possibly help you find solutions to whatever problems. And pls understand all solutions( line of reasoning).

#6: You want to be reading success stories and prepping yourself for your own version on D-Day. Bad things happen, yes , but not to you!! Believe in that above all things. Not by your power of course, Im a Christin so my own version is that God's mercy is essential to success.

#7: Do not forget the essay-analytical writing assessment. Yes it isn't tested int he main exam, but it opens up ur testing experience. It could add a lot of GINGER to your test taking experience if it comes out well.
Pro-Forma is as follows:
State your standpoint point alongside the overall flaw in the general passage. Then of course look out for the usual unjustified assumption, false equivalency statements and ulterior motives etc. Be thorough!! I did a 5.5/6 on it. Happy I used that strategy.

#8: After the exam life goes on. Do not take it seriously-as in life or death serious. You will be using some of those skills you garnered to write your essays for business school, taking your analytical and grammar skills back to work. End of the day it is a cathartic experience. You gain from the whole thing.

GMAC isn't Baal( not to talk of God himself). Hit the brakes coolly and have fun. Learning is fun.

Nice writeup, plan on writing soon too but dunno where to start my preparations from.
Re: GMAT Prep: From Personal Experience by pretimina: 6:19am On Aug 25, 2017
Biut:

Nice writeup, plan on writing soon too but dunno where to start my preparations from.

When do you plan to write? I'm looking at December and I need a study partner
Re: GMAT Prep: From Personal Experience by Nobody: 10:27pm On Sep 21, 2017
Biut:

brody Im so sorry I didn't see this earlier. I would recommend starting in depth with the manhattan series on number properties, fractions, decimals and percents, algebra, word problems and geometry. You can find them search 'manhattan strategy guides' on b-ok.org. You can find any book you want on the gmat. I'd also advise you solve everything in the official GMAC guide, any year from 2015 till date. Followup your workings with gmatquantum.com.
And ofc the gmatclub forum for any possible question. Simply type out the key statements of the question and add gmatclub at the end, guaranty you that there is already an in-depth convo regarding the logic to the solution.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: GMAT Prep: From Personal Experience by Nobody: 10:28pm On Sep 21, 2017
pretimina:

Bro/Miss have you started studying ?
Re: GMAT Prep: From Personal Experience by odimbannamdi(m): 10:12pm On Jun 21, 2018
pretimina:

Hi Pretimina,

Did you eventually write yours?
Re: GMAT Prep: From Personal Experience by odimbannamdi(m): 10:16pm On Jun 21, 2018
The GMAT (Graduate Management Assessment Test), administered by GMAC, is a fundamental requirement for admission into over 7,000 graduate management and business programs (such as the MBA) in 2,300 business schools worldwide.

The exam comprises of 4 aspects

- A computer adaptive quantitative section
- Analytical Writing Assessment (AWA)
- Integrated reasoning
- Verbal reasoning

If you are looking to enroll into one of the business programs, your first step would be to take and pass the GMAT exam with a minimum score of 550/800. Some competitive programs require a minimum score of 600/800. Also, a good score gives you an edge in scholarship and funding considerations.

Passing the GMAT exam is no easy feat at all, but it is very much achievable. It involves a great deal of mental preparation, structured study plan and usage of the right materials and past questions.

Personally, i would be taking the exam by September to use in making applications for an MBA program from October, so i want to commence preparations as from today. I know i am not alone in this endeavour so i am looking to recruit interested persons so that we can form a viable whatsapp study group to encourage ourselves and share information and materials.

Our first project will be legally and officially laying our hands on the GMAT® Official Guide 2019 (ebook and online material). It is valued at $79.95, but there is an ongoing discount sale at $47.95. This discount will expire on the 30th of this month. You can check out its features via this link, www.efficientlearning.com/gmat/prepguides/official-ebook/

If you are interested in joining this train, kindly whatsapp me on 09083748635 for further directives.

Thanks!
Re: GMAT Prep: From Personal Experience by odimbannamdi(m): 10:16pm On Jun 21, 2018
Dasuks:

Bro/Miss have you started studying ?

Hi Dasuks,

Please how do i reach u?
Re: GMAT Prep: From Personal Experience by odimbannamdi(m): 5:56pm On Jun 28, 2018
Dasuks:

brody Im so sorry I didn't see this earlier. I would recommend starting in depth with the manhattan series on number properties, fractions, decimals and percents, algebra, word problems and geometry. You can find them search 'manhattan strategy guides' on b-ok.org. You can find any book you want on the gmat. I'd also advise you solve everything in the official GMAC guide, any year from 2015 till date. Followup your workings with gmatquantum.com.
And ofc the gmatclub forum for any possible question. Simply type out the key statements of the question and add gmatclub at the end, guaranty you that there is already an in-depth convo regarding the logic to the solution.

Starred
Re: GMAT Prep: From Personal Experience by Nobody: 4:46pm On Jul 30, 2018
odimbannamdi:

Hi Dasuks,

Please how do i reach u?

Brody just message me your email. I will definitely be in touch. Past month was a bit hazy and rushed. Back on the platform again. hope you are good.
Re: GMAT Prep: From Personal Experience by Cbliz(m): 8:47pm On May 16, 2019
Good day fam.
I just created a whatsapp group for those who are taking the GMAT soon and will like to share ideas on how to ace the exam and get admission into a top B -School. Kindly drop your number so I can add you to the group.
Re: GMAT Prep: From Personal Experience by Paultaiwo101: 8:03pm On May 18, 2019
Hi guys,pls I'd be writing the GMAT in two months, kindly add me to that WhatsApp group and pls share relevant material with me sirs and ma's. email: paultaiwo934@gmail.com, contact: 07067717883 thanks!
Re: GMAT Prep: From Personal Experience by Cbliz(m): 7:43am On May 29, 2019
You can send your number to avosehkehinde97@gmail.com

1 Like

Re: GMAT Prep: From Personal Experience by Brightness04: 4:16am On Nov 28, 2021
[quot

And ofc the gmatclub forum for any possible question. Simply type out the key statements of the question and add gmatclub at the end, guaranty you that there is already an in-depth convo regarding the logic to the solution. [/quote]

Reading this 2021,and it is really helpful.
In case anyone sees this, I need a study partner pls
Wanna write man come January

(1) (Reply)

An Experience With A Yahoo Friend. / Who Knows About Umaru Musa Yar'adua University Katsina 2nd List / Part Time Form Of Osun State Polytechnic Iree

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.