Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,940 members, 7,824,957 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 09:50 PM

How Much Does It Cost To Ring A Car? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Much Does It Cost To Ring A Car? (13376 Views)

How Much Does It Actually Cost To Get A Drivers License In Nigeria? / How much does it cost to renew car papers in your state - 2019 / How Much Does A Keke Napep Cost? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Much Does It Cost To Ring A Car? by mikotek(m): 7:11pm On Jun 14, 2017
What kind of car do you use? And how much does it cost to ring it? Share your experience
As for me I use Toyota Carina 2, and its smoking. So I'm considering ringing it.

Re: How Much Does It Cost To Ring A Car? by solid3(m): 7:13pm On Jun 14, 2017
Instead of ringing a car engine, just buy a new engine.

6 Likes

Re: How Much Does It Cost To Ring A Car? by diportivo: 7:38pm On Jun 14, 2017
solid3:

why?
Re: How Much Does It Cost To Ring A Car? by mikotek(m): 11:03pm On Jun 14, 2017
solid3:
Please can you explain why you say that?
Re: How Much Does It Cost To Ring A Car? by aAK1(m): 11:14pm On Jun 14, 2017
mikotek:

because you are in Nigeria where incompetent mechanics rule. Mover over you are most likely getting substandard parts

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Much Does It Cost To Ring A Car? by Jakjak: 11:44pm On Jun 14, 2017
my Honda accord was seriously smoking but after when the ringing was done last month with #30K.... now everything working fine like tokunbo engine

7 Likes

Re: How Much Does It Cost To Ring A Car? by Emekasmart(m): 3:20am On Jun 15, 2017
Jakjak:
my Honda accord was seriously smoking but after when the ringing was done last month with #30K.... now everything working fine like tokunbo engine
Please can I get the number of the mechanic that ringed the engine for u. Where Is he located...
Re: How Much Does It Cost To Ring A Car? by mikotek(m): 11:46am On Jun 15, 2017
Jakjak:
Good for you, I hope I will be that fortunate to see a good mechanic.
Re: How Much Does It Cost To Ring A Car? by mikotek(m): 11:50am On Jun 15, 2017
because your are in Nigeria where incompetent mechanics rule. Mover over you are most likely getting substandard parts[/quote]
I agree with you, but good mechanic still exist in Nigeria though rare to find. Same with spare parts
Re: How Much Does It Cost To Ring A Car? by mployer(m): 3:42pm On Jun 15, 2017
solid3:

That's is the story mechanics will tell you so they can buy your engine as scrap, ring it and sell it as tokunbo.

A mechanic told me that 3 years ago. I got another mechanic, ringed the engine and it has been good since then. It cost me 25k and it had no issues.

6 Likes

Re: How Much Does It Cost To Ring A Car? by Jakjak: 4:45am On Jun 16, 2017
Emekasmart:

Please can I get the number of the mechanic that ringed the engine for u. Where Is he located...
The young guy came from ondo state
Re: How Much Does It Cost To Ring A Car? by thebigkendo(m): 12:12pm On Jun 16, 2017
mployer:

That's is the story mechanics will tell you so they can buy your engine as scrap, ring it and sell it as tokunbo.

A mechanic told me that 3 years ago. I got another mechanic, ringed the engine and it has been good since then. It cost me 25k and it had no issues.

What car and year??
Re: How Much Does It Cost To Ring A Car? by mployer(m): 12:15pm On Jun 16, 2017
thebigkendo:

What car and year??

2001 corolla.
Re: How Much Does It Cost To Ring A Car? by thebigkendo(m): 12:24pm On Jun 16, 2017
mployer:

2001 corolla.

I though as much, a friend ringed the same engine too and its over a year now, engine is still running... Heard its better to replace honda engines than ring

1 Like

Re: How Much Does It Cost To Ring A Car? by ikeepitreal(m): 1:48pm On Jun 16, 2017
Go on ahead and ring the engine. don't listen to those saying you should get a new one.. besides the new one will cost you more

2 Likes

Re: How Much Does It Cost To Ring A Car? by decision01: 2:05pm On Jun 16, 2017
Am into haulage with nigeria brewery. Was adviced to always go for a tokumbo engine each time my engines are bad. The reason been that there was no good mechanics for v6 mercedez heavy duty truck engines. But along the line i found out that the said tokumbo engines i buy are the same ones i sale out to them as scrap. I was serious to get a mechanic and i did.
Get a good mechanic and best parts in the market you will never regret it. Always check the engine and gear oil and water. If u still have thermostat in your car, always check your temperature switch to avoid overheating if you are the overspeeding type. Have fun

4 Likes

Re: How Much Does It Cost To Ring A Car? by smellingmenses: 2:38pm On Jun 16, 2017
thebigkendo:

I though as much, a friend ringed the same engine too and its over a year now, engine is still running... Heard its better to replace honda engines than ring
Cc Gazzuzz
Re: How Much Does It Cost To Ring A Car? by smellingmenses: 2:40pm On Jun 16, 2017
decision01:
Am into haulage with nigeria brewery. Was adviced to always go for a tokumbo engine each time my engines are bad. The reason been that there was no good mechanics for v6 mercedez heavy duty truck engines. But along the line i found out that the said tokumbo engines i buy are the same ones i sale out to them as scrap. I was serious to get a mechanic and i did.
Get a good mechanic and best parts in the market you will never regret it. Always check the engine and gear oil and water. If u still have thermostat in your car, always check your temperature switch to avoid overheating if you are the overspeeding type. Have fun
Does overheating destroy piston rings​?

2 Likes

Re: How Much Does It Cost To Ring A Car? by atiku07(m): 7:05pm On Jun 16, 2017
smellingmenses:

Does overheating destroy piston rings​?
yes
Re: How Much Does It Cost To Ring A Car? by smellingmenses: 8:54pm On Jun 16, 2017
atiku07:
yes
How?
Re: How Much Does It Cost To Ring A Car? by senator2k9(m): 10:46am On Jun 17, 2017
mikotek:

u will never get original rings in Nigeria. those mechanics will lie to u that it's original. if u ring it u will still come back after 6 months with a smoking engine. That's if your engine still have COMPRESSION
Re: How Much Does It Cost To Ring A Car? by honmusa(m): 7:59am On Jun 18, 2017
Ringing an engine is just penny-wise pound foolish .Engine overall procedure requires lot of adhering to strict engineering specification which your kazeem is not aware of and might not even have the required equipment to perform this .
Also procuring the original overall kit is much more expensive than getting the tokunbo engine from the local spare part market.
And for those claiming that their local engine rebuild has stand the test of time ,what engineering parameter are u using to substantiate this claim ??

3 Likes

Re: How Much Does It Cost To Ring A Car? by smellingmenses: 8:09am On Jun 18, 2017
honmusa:
Ringing an engine is just penny-wise pound foolish .Engine overall procedure requires lot of adhering to strict engineering specification which your kazeem is not aware of and might not even have the required equipment to perform this .
Also procuring the original overall kit is much more expensive than getting the tokunbo engine from the local spare part market.
Are you skilled enough to ring an engine?
Re: How Much Does It Cost To Ring A Car? by Nobody: 8:30am On Jun 18, 2017
Ironically, Some of the so-called 'tokumbo' engines in the market are re-ringed engines. If you can find a parts dealer with original rings, go for it.

5 Likes

Re: How Much Does It Cost To Ring A Car? by honmusa(m): 8:40am On Jun 18, 2017
smellingmenses:

Are you skilled enough to ring an engine?
I can do it as a pet project but not for business purposes cos like I said earlier it much cheaper and less resource intensive to procure a top grade "A" tokunbo engine than engaging in engine rebuild job.

1 Like

Re: How Much Does It Cost To Ring A Car? by smellingmenses: 8:42am On Jun 18, 2017
honmusa:

I can do it as a pet project but not for business purposes cos like I said earlier it much cheaper and less resource intensive to procure a top grade "A" tokunbo engine than engaging in engine rebuild job.
Hmm ok.
Re: How Much Does It Cost To Ring A Car? by Lokoyen(m): 10:15pm On Jun 18, 2017
mikotek:

Good for you, I hope I will be that fortunate to see a good mechanic.

Our mechanics can rebuild an engine just that most are crooks. They don't buy original parts. But few ones especially those that ring for commercial vehicles are very good.
Re: How Much Does It Cost To Ring A Car? by Lokoyen(m): 10:16pm On Jun 18, 2017
honmusa:

unless u buy from the right source most of these tokunbo engine sellers are fraudulent.
Re: How Much Does It Cost To Ring A Car? by Lokoyen(m): 10:22pm On Jun 18, 2017
ikeepitreal:
Go on ahead and ring the engine. don't listen to those saying you should get a new one.. besides the new one will cost you more

Exactly. Dey will tell him to buy a tokunbo. Tokunbo that is even not good. A good mechanic that is honest will give you guarantee on your engine after ringing.

If you are ringing target those mechanics that ring for hummer bumber buses. Anyone that can ring commercial vehicle is good.

2 Likes

Re: How Much Does It Cost To Ring A Car? by Lokoyen(m): 10:25pm On Jun 18, 2017
Emekasmart:

If you are in Ibadan, I av some that can ring very well. The guy dey ring commercial buses and cars.

His location is around wema iwo road.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Much Does It Cost To Ring A Car? by smellingmenses: 10:04am On Jun 19, 2017
Lokoyen:

unless u buy from the right source most of these tokunbo engine sellers are fraudulent.
Word
Re: How Much Does It Cost To Ring A Car? by mikotek(m): 7:29pm On Jun 22, 2017
In all I spent almost 35k to ring my car

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Your Honda Accord (EOD) Experience! / Are White Coloured Cars Cheaper? / Transmission Related Problems

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.