Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,713 members, 7,816,929 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:26 PM

Why Are Babies Held Upside Down?? - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why Are Babies Held Upside Down?? (48974 Views)

COVID-19 Has Turned Everything Upside Down In Nigeria – PTF / "I Swapped Close To 5,000 Babies In 12 Years" - Zambian Nurse Confesses / ‘I Lost Over 19 Babies’;Lady Who Gave Birth To Baby Girl Narrates Ordeal. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Babies Held Upside Down?? by uglodoh(f): 6:11pm On Jun 15, 2017
The essence is to make the baby cry so that the baby can take in oxygen to that part of the brain that needs it. it is done to the baby if the baby fails to cry during birth. A baby that fails to cry after birth may suffer what is called cerebral palsy. It is very important for for every woman to ask if the baby cried immediately he or she was delivered. Although there are other causes of cerebral palsy. I have son suffering it.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Babies Held Upside Down?? by Mospring(m): 6:12pm On Jun 15, 2017
ChiefSweetus:
To redirect shitty ideas

for making me shed tears and laugh uncontrollably; I would ve said something! ! but you're forgiven
Re: Why Are Babies Held Upside Down?? by uglodoh(f): 6:14pm On Jun 15, 2017
ikorodureporta:

...but i'v seen older babies being held upside down
Does it have to do with prevention of cerebral palsy
Re: Why Are Babies Held Upside Down?? by uglodoh(f): 6:16pm On Jun 15, 2017
Arthurity:
To stimulate the activation of surfactant in the lungs which will make d lungs to start functioning.Lungs start functioning for first time only when d baby is born.Respiratory function in intrauterine life is through the placenta.It also helps d cardiopulmonary functioning and adaptation. It also prevents postural hypotension

Does it have to do with the prevention of cerebral palsy.
Re: Why Are Babies Held Upside Down?? by Drabrah(m): 6:34pm On Jun 15, 2017
MORRYDIHEART:
I don't think good doctors do it coz it may harm d baby,some grand mothers and mothers does to prepare d baby for unexpected fall or movement DAT could make d baby fear in order to prevent d baby from shock and convulsion. some midwives do it if d baby didn't cry at birth,dis is to scare d baby and monitor it's vital signs.

Sowi ma'am, u've a lot of things 2geda & most of dem are wrong.
Twas a c'mon practice in d past, even among Drs, buh it's no longer d case. It's majorly quacks dat still do so.
Reason y it's done (at birth) is to stimulate d baby thereby helping it initiate spontaneous breathing buh this has gat nothing to do wt monitoring vital signs.
Mothers (esp d elderly ones) do it to train d (startle) reflex buh it's gat nothing to do wt convulsions. Ur thot on "prevention of shock" is also debatable, cos in actual sense, it can tip d baby to (neurogenic) shock buh frm another perspective, it prepares d baby to withstand shocking events wc I guess u mean.
Re: Why Are Babies Held Upside Down?? by Drabrah(m): 6:39pm On Jun 15, 2017
uglodoh:

Does it have to do with the prevention of cerebral palsy.

Not at all. Dat has 2 do wt reflex training.
Palsy most c'monly develops shortly b4/during/shortly after d delivery period. Few cases occur later buh are almost always due to physical injury or metabolic problems or CNS infections
Re: Why Are Babies Held Upside Down?? by Jace234(m): 6:41pm On Jun 15, 2017
My late maternal great granny used to do this to my younger ones after bathing them. And when i asked the reason for always doing so, she told me its to make them fearless.
Re: Why Are Babies Held Upside Down?? by Nobody: 7:02pm On Jun 15, 2017
cutieberie1:

Not necessary to turn upside down, if they want circulation from head to toe
I didn't make the comment
Re: Why Are Babies Held Upside Down?? by orjaha(m): 7:38pm On Jun 15, 2017
strengthen of their bone and joint of their body
Re: Why Are Babies Held Upside Down?? by sandammy(m): 8:00pm On Jun 15, 2017
To show them that this world the just entered has turned upside-down cheesy
Re: Why Are Babies Held Upside Down?? by zealadjay(m): 9:45pm On Jun 15, 2017
To show dem da skills wen getting down wt d guys wen dey grow up eventually...
Re: Why Are Babies Held Upside Down?? by bayodayo(m): 10:12pm On Jun 15, 2017
This reason is that baby receives nutrients and oxygen through the placenta and once the baby is delivered the placenta route is cut of. And it takes about 1-5 mins for a baby to initiate spontaneous respiration ,this brain must not be deprived of oxygen at any given time,so the baby is turned upside down to redirect the remaining oxygenated blood to the brain while waiting for babys respiration wch will add more oxygen to the blood to take place. if baby fails to initiate respiration in maximum of 5 mins ,the brain will be deprived of oxygen and lead to brain death( cerebral palsy).
SUMMARY: to give oxgenated blood to the brain( priority) before baby initiate respiration.
Re: Why Are Babies Held Upside Down?? by misteryman: 11:07pm On Jun 15, 2017
Ronie24:
To be fearless

Re: Why Are Babies Held Upside Down?? by judgedredd22(m): 5:44am On Jun 16, 2017
StephDamielola:
cheesy cheesy cheesy

SO THEY SEE THE WORLD DIFFERENTLY FROM HOW THE PARENT SEES IT.

THE PARENT SEES THE WORLD TO BE DIFFICULT, BAD, EVIL ETC

BUT A CHILD BEING AN EMPTY BOOK, WAS PROGRAMMED TO SEE IT DIFFERENTLY UNTIL THE FAMILY ENVIRONMENT AND ECONOMY WILL TEACH THE CHILD A DIFFERENT THING.

THATS WHY, THE PARENT KNOWS THAT FIRE BURNS BUT THE CHILD WILL NEVER SEE IT THAT WAY. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Re: Why Are Babies Held Upside Down?? by jbblues24(m): 6:29am On May 31, 2019
Found myself staring at it for minutes. undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Side Effects Of AC (air Conditioner): We Should Watch Out For / Marriage And The Sickle Cell Genotype Issue / Lockdown: Lagos Government Donates Food Items To Residents

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.