Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,933 members, 7,817,722 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:57 PM

South Africans Debate Changing Name To Azania - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / South Africans Debate Changing Name To Azania (647 Views)

South Africans Beg Nigerians For Forgiveness (Video) / South Africans Are Worried After China Open 13th Police Station In Their Country / South Africa To Be Renamed Azania (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

South Africans Debate Changing Name To Azania by NwaforIgbo: 11:17am On Jun 15, 2017
A call by South Africa's Culture Minister Nathi Mthethwa for the country's name to be changed to Azania has sparked a debate in the country, IOL reports.

Mr Mthethwa said the country's name was just a geographical reference and should be changed, like other colonial-era names in Africa.

Thamba Godi, from the African People’s Convention, supported the call saying that South Africa should have followed the model of Namibia and Zimbabwe "which after gaining liberation changed from colonial names South West Africa and Rhodesia respectively," IOL says.

Reactions on social media have been mixed as reflected on the Cape Argus newspaper’s Facebook page:

"It can take millions or even billions of rand to change the name, I don’t see the point. The money could be spent on things that are needed. Try to change inequality in the country instead.”

"I would like to be identified as Azanian as it is personal. Yes, it will take time for people to get used to it but eventually they will. The name suits us and there is great history behind the name.

No, it should have been done after liberation”

http://africanleadership.co.uk/blog/?p=17761
Re: South Africans Debate Changing Name To Azania by bantudra: 11:19am On Jun 15, 2017
kikikiki.... grin
Re: South Africans Debate Changing Name To Azania by bantudra: 11:21am On Jun 15, 2017
south africa dont even make sense...
Re: South Africans Debate Changing Name To Azania by OVI75(m): 11:29am On Jun 15, 2017
Azania,as it Suits them...

Niger delta Republic is Wat we Want
Re: South Africans Debate Changing Name To Azania by bantudra: 11:34am On Jun 15, 2017
OVI75:
Azania,as it Suits them...

Niger delta Republic is Wat we Want

kikikiki... grin

Re: South Africans Debate Changing Name To Azania by decatalyst(m): 11:35am On Jun 15, 2017
How about they name it ASHANA, cuz them like sex well well grin grin
Re: South Africans Debate Changing Name To Azania by bantudra: 11:36am On Jun 15, 2017
decatalyst:

hahahahaha... grin
Re: South Africans Debate Changing Name To Azania by Nobody: 7:53pm On Jun 15, 2017
Pointless...Changing the name won't change any bloody thing about the country. If you doubt me then change Nigeria's name tomorrow and see what happens. Same goes for our black friends in SA who want to feel more "African". So,the pan-Africanist should just let sleeping dogs lie instead of embarking on this exercise in futility. On a 2nd thought,they should consider changing it to the Pan-African Republic of Bantustan. It just might work,y'know.
Re: South Africans Debate Changing Name To Azania by ifyan(m): 8:47am On Jun 16, 2017
mansakhalifa:
Pointless...Changing the name won't change any bloody thing about the country. If you doubt me then change Nigeria's name tomorrow and see what happens. Same goes for our black friends in SA who want to feel more "African". So,the pan-Africanist should just let sleeping dogs lie instead of embarking on this exercise in futility. On a 2nd thought,they should consider changing it to the Pan-African Republic of Bantustan. It just might work,y'know.

It seems to me you are confused
Re: South Africans Debate Changing Name To Azania by ifyan(m): 8:47am On Jun 16, 2017
decatalyst:

You know say crase get level
Re: South Africans Debate Changing Name To Azania by Nobody: 2:16pm On Jun 16, 2017
ifyan:

confused? heck no,sir.
Re: South Africans Debate Changing Name To Azania by Nobody: 2:16pm On Jun 16, 2017
ifyan:

confused? heck no,sir.

(1) (Reply)

Iran Ballistic Missile & US Sanctions: / Top 5 Most Developed Countries In Africa / Trump Orders All US Companies To Leave China, Says Our Country Has Lost Trillion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.