Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,204 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:01 AM

3 Ways To Deal With People Who Play Office Politics Against You - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 3 Ways To Deal With People Who Play Office Politics Against You (21440 Views)

How Do I Deal With Office Politics? / 7 Proven Ways To Play Office Politics! / 7 Reasons Why You Should Keep Away From Office Politics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 3 Ways To Deal With People Who Play Office Politics Against You by tripoli007(m): 7:59am On Jun 18, 2017
Abeg who read all that thing finish make e summarize for me
Re: 3 Ways To Deal With People Who Play Office Politics Against You by SpongeBobSP: 8:15am On Jun 18, 2017
Re: 3 Ways To Deal With People Who Play Office Politics Against You by SpongeBobSP: 8:15am On Jun 18, 2017
Re: 3 Ways To Deal With People Who Play Office Politics Against You by Dumba088(m): 8:19am On Jun 18, 2017
nice writeup
Re: 3 Ways To Deal With People Who Play Office Politics Against You by adedehinbo(m): 8:35am On Jun 18, 2017
TeejayMaya:

Credit: https://www.isaiahhankel.com/office-politics
wow I love this epistle, the same thing I am facing at work at the moment, I think I ve a solution now,thanks a lot
Re: 3 Ways To Deal With People Who Play Office Politics Against You by AreaFada2: 8:43am On Jun 18, 2017
Re: 3 Ways To Deal With People Who Play Office Politics Against You by jfleece(m): 8:55am On Jun 18, 2017
I don't wanna sound tribalistic, buh it is peculiar to the afonjas, especially when u re way above them in the management hierarchy, they see u as a big threat, conniving with their fellow afonjas to bring u down, thank God I was smart enough to to know his intentions, I beat him to his own game lessons learnt =if u ve an afonja as ur assistant always be watchful, and if allies himself with another afonja, it's best to send him back to the Labour market... Thank me later.

3 Likes

Re: 3 Ways To Deal With People Who Play Office Politics Against You by udemzyudex(m): 8:58am On Jun 18, 2017
Save page for offline reading, I didn't read the whole article but the little have read have opened my eyes to a lot of things..
Re: 3 Ways To Deal With People Who Play Office Politics Against You by jambojay: 9:36am On Jun 18, 2017
exactly what I needed for this trying times at work....dem don show me pepper.
Re: 3 Ways To Deal With People Who Play Office Politics Against You by ustavo(m): 10:05am On Jun 18, 2017
Very nice write-up, immediately bookmarked
Re: 3 Ways To Deal With People Who Play Office Politics Against You by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 10:06am On Jun 18, 2017
uzoclinton:
Join them

No.
If it is an option (and it should be),quit at the earliest opportunity.
If quitting your job is not an option, examine your career and choices deeply to find out why.
Your life is short and time is precious. Don't waste it working in a bad organization

2 Likes

Re: 3 Ways To Deal With People Who Play Office Politics Against You by Nobody: 10:46am On Jun 18, 2017
Insightful
Re: 3 Ways To Deal With People Who Play Office Politics Against You by HarveySpecter1: 11:08am On Jun 18, 2017
IamaNigerianGuy:

No.
If it is an option (and it should be),quit at the earliest opportunity.
If quitting your job is not an option, examine your career and choices deeply to find out why.
Your life is short and time is precious. Don't waste it working in a bad organization

Thank you Jare. Office politics could get so dirty especially if tribalism sets in. People want to see you sad so they do everything to make you sad. In my own case, my official car was taken from me. I was doing so well and deserved the car given to me. Some guys couldn't stand me driving a clean car while they managed their tokunbo cars. They manipulated the boss and the car was taken from me.

I'm expected to finish my project in weeks while these people do theirs in months. They were controlling the boss. They dictate to him and when their wishes weren't done, they would frustrate the progress of the projects. The boss would always succumb and do their bidding. Whether na JuJu I don't know.

I will hit the boss where it hurt the most, when he least expect it.
Re: 3 Ways To Deal With People Who Play Office Politics Against You by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 11:28am On Jun 18, 2017
HarveySpecter1:

Thank you Jare. Office politics could get so dirty especially if tribalism sets in. People want to see you sad so they do everything to make you sad. In my own case, my official car was taken from me. I was doing so well and deserved the car given to me. Some guys couldn't stand me driving a clean car while they managed their tokunbo cars. They manipulated the boss and the car was taken from me.

I'm expected to finish my project in weeks while these people do theirs in months. They were controlling the boss. They dictate to him and when their wishes weren't done, they would frustrate the progress of the projects. The boss would always succumb and do their bidding. Whether na JuJu I don't know.

I will hit the boss where it hurt the most, when he least expect it.

That is the problem with Nigerians.
Many managers neglect the objectives of the company to pursue personal or parochial goals. When the company fails, they wonder why.
In my company I will employ a Chadian, Ibo, Fulani, or Turkmenistani and elevate him to the highest rank if he can deliver on his targets.
We are so short sighted.

1 Like

Re: 3 Ways To Deal With People Who Play Office Politics Against You by MYDEBBY(m): 12:11pm On Jun 18, 2017
Thanks Teejaymaya you are really on point,as if you know what I am going through.But I have learnt from you more,also if I may add just mind your work seriously and let no fault be found in you and shame shall be the portion of all your office enemies when posterity and God shall rise on your behalf,amen.

1 Like

Re: 3 Ways To Deal With People Who Play Office Politics Against You by felix281(m): 12:24pm On Jun 18, 2017
[quote author=jfleece post=57622337]I don't wanna sound tribalistic, buh it is peculiar to the afonjas, especially when u re way above them in the management hierarchy, they see u as a big threat, conniving with their fellow afonjas to bring u down, thank God I was smart enough to to know his intentions, I beat him to his own game lessons learnt =if u ve an afonja as ur assistant always be watchful, and if allies himself with another afonja, it's best to send him back to the Labour market... Thank me later. [/quote

U are right....
They can go extra mile to bring you down, they sees a particular people as a threat.
They will be the first in everything both in greetings,backstabbing,gossips and office politics..
I know this people quite well.. I don't have them as friends in my working place...
Whenever they saw me, they flee.
Re: 3 Ways To Deal With People Who Play Office Politics Against You by Slazim: 12:31pm On Jun 18, 2017
Boss, this write up is the bomb. Nice one, keep it up. In politicking (Most especially Govt owned establishments in Nigeria ), people go as far as using diabolical means to gain favour and power.
Re: 3 Ways To Deal With People Who Play Office Politics Against You by LyfeJennings(m): 12:59pm On Jun 18, 2017
When I first got a job in a bank
I thought all was rosy till I experienced the office politics full time.
First was this nerrd igbo nicca (he speaks all major languages sha) I knew who was very hardworking and I was his only competition in the office. I wasn't as hardworking and disciplined as he is but I was smart and a bit more intelligent than high service (if I have to say).
This guy would sleep in the office over a task he can conveniently finish without that "high service". He would find a way to make the MD hear of it and everyone would praise him to the heaven while they would look at me like the Devil.
Many occasions, myself and this guy would have private discussions as to what to do in the office and to build force over a situation in the office. Once I turn my back, this guy would do OPPOSITE OF EVERYTHING WE DISCUSSED.
Not like I'm bothered but it surprises me the way this guy does his evil and would smile his way to murder me or any of his target. I don't act most times cos I'm not the type to finish gently and back off. I fight to destroy totally so before I ever try to do anything I let him hurt me to the point I'd shed blood.
This office politics of a thing ehn
Thank God I do not have a flair for banking
Just earning the money and passing out time

1 Like

Re: 3 Ways To Deal With People Who Play Office Politics Against You by decatalyst(m): 1:16pm On Jun 18, 2017
TeejayMaya:

Your piece makes me feel I am well equipped from birth.

Nice piece, Op.

1 Like

Re: 3 Ways To Deal With People Who Play Office Politics Against You by Nobody: 2:01pm On Jun 18, 2017
so i guess one should start hyping other colleagues in the office even though they dont perform well right?
Re: 3 Ways To Deal With People Who Play Office Politics Against You by Nobody: 2:05pm On Jun 18, 2017
Interesting smiley
Re: 3 Ways To Deal With People Who Play Office Politics Against You by salesforce: 2:11pm On Jun 18, 2017
Ha
Re: 3 Ways To Deal With People Who Play Office Politics Against You by allenog(m): 2:23pm On Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for the write up, is indeed informative. Thumbs up.
Re: 3 Ways To Deal With People Who Play Office Politics Against You by allenog(m): 2:26pm On Jun 18, 2017
Thumbs up. Nice write up.
Re: 3 Ways To Deal With People Who Play Office Politics Against You by onyxo76(m): 2:57pm On Jun 18, 2017
Lovely write up. Bottom line- be your own boss.
Re: 3 Ways To Deal With People Who Play Office Politics Against You by jobbers: 3:11pm On Jun 18, 2017
mind your fckin bizness
Re: 3 Ways To Deal With People Who Play Office Politics Against You by maleeks(m): 3:12pm On Jun 18, 2017
TeejayMaya:

I read it over and over..... thumbs up
Re: 3 Ways To Deal With People Who Play Office Politics Against You by jfleece(m): 4:03pm On Jun 18, 2017
[quote author=felix281 post=57626867][/quote]oh so u ve seen their toxicity?? I taught I was the only one, wat really baffles me is that they can betray u at any slightest moment, they will not even consider ur friendship (dats if u ve one as a close friend) and they are also good at perfect eyeservice, just to attract irrelevant praises.
Re: 3 Ways To Deal With People Who Play Office Politics Against You by sheyviruz(m): 5:59pm On Jun 18, 2017
-
Re: 3 Ways To Deal With People Who Play Office Politics Against You by omosaku(m): 6:01pm On Jun 18, 2017
Nice One. Some stuff here are applicable
Re: 3 Ways To Deal With People Who Play Office Politics Against You by orluwasheyi: 8:42pm On Jun 18, 2017
amazing

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Should He Stay In Nigeria Or Move To UK? / DPR Aptitude Test Questions & Answers 2016 / Police Service Commission Appoints 6 DIGs, Promotes 14 CPs, 230 SPs, others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.