Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,129 members, 7,814,944 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:04 AM

The American Civil War Of 1861: Lessons For The Igbos And The Biafran Struggle - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The American Civil War Of 1861: Lessons For The Igbos And The Biafran Struggle (763 Views)

I Will Abandon The Biafran Struggle If Buhari's Office Is Accessed- Nnamdi Kanu / My Concerns About Including Non-igbo Southsouth In The Biafran Struggle. / My Hands Are Off The Biafran Struggle. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The American Civil War Of 1861: Lessons For The Igbos And The Biafran Struggle by kayez: 10:07am On Jun 16, 2017
Recently, I published an article with the title, “The Merchant Called Nnamdi Kanu and His 2019 Senatorial Ambition". The responses have been quite amazing as reactions keep pouring into my email from far and near; some commendations, and others outright threats. Well I want to deeply appreciate everyone for their well thought out reactions.

I will further my arguments in this article on the renewed agitations for Biafra, particularly taking a deep retrospect of history. A great philosopher once said, “...hindsight is better than foresight”. The truth is that the more historical minded you are the better you can appreciate the present and chart an effective cause for the future. For this reason, I am going to lay a foundation today that will aid further examination of the abundant opportunities before the Igbos, now that secessionist agitations are raging.

Meanwhile, some excerpts in this article were taken from published works on the American Civil War, particularly, https://www.civilwar.org.

Now the American Civil War was fought between the United States of America and the Confederate States of America, a collection of eleven southern states that left the Union in 1860 and formed their own country in order to protect the institution of slavery.

The southern states of South Carolina, Mississippi, Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, Texas, Virginia, Arkansas, North Carolina, and Tennessee, seceded immediately Abraham Lincoln was elected President in 1860. Lincoln though was from the slave-state of Kentucky in the North refused to recognize the Confederate States, instead fought to keep the South in the Union.

The interesting fact was that between 1776 when America gained independence and George Washington was elected President, to the year of the secession in 1860, America had fifteen presidents, ten of which were from the South, and five of whom were presidents for two terms each. Indeed the south dominated the American political space.

However, the abolition of slave trade in Britain in 1807 changed the world order, in which the narrative of slave trade transformed drastically against holding fellow humans bondage. While religious and political leaders in the North of America began to agitate and call for the complete abolition of slave trade, the South who had maintained political dominance blatantly refused to heed the clarion call.

They were so blinded by the economic benefits they made from slave-trade that they began to lose political control to the North by the 1840s. In fact the last three presidents before the secession in 1860 were all from the North of America.

The greatest lessons from this political misfortune were represented by the years after the civil war, as the South completely lost political relevance in America. For a long time after the Civil War, politicians from the South were considered unelectable.

Abraham Lincoln's Vice President, Andrew Johnson was the last Southern president for nearly half a century. After President Woodrow Wilson administration in 1921, it took nearly another half a century before the next Southern president was elected.

During these periods Democratic Party rarely nominated Southern presidential candidates, as southerners were tagged with the brush of secession.

The northern electorates were equally extremely reluctant to cast a ballot for a southerner. That was how the south lost out completely in the political power structure in America for about 100 years, albeit the 1960s when the South began to regain political control.

The first lesson here is that every failed secession attempt comes with its own burden of distrust. The South-East region like the South in America has continued to suffer political consequences from the brushes of the failed secession attempt between 1967 and 1970.

Other component parts of Nigeria are seldom convinced that the Biafran dream has been laid to rest. Such distrusts which have grossly affected the political fortunes of the Igbos in the Nigerian project, have been fanned and fuelled by the occasional and at times sustained call for secession.

It’s like an aggrieved husband who constantly threatens the wife with divorce at the slightest provocation - that marriage will never see the light of day. As long as he feels there is a better “bride” out there, he WILL NEVER put in the required efforts to work out his current marriage.

The wife on her part will perpetually live on the edge of being thrown out of her matrimonial home. But however, the transgression(s) of the wife, the day both parties, starting with the aggrieved husband choose to deal with the emotions of offence and accommodate true forgiveness in his heart that marriage is heading for a successful outcome.

The Nigerian civil war remains the bloodiest experience for the Igbos as a people. Fifty years after, the memories of the war remains fresh in our minds. With well over 2.5 million deaths, it has not been easy to allow the emotions of that dastardly experience die, “just like that”.

The sentiments remain so strong that it has the capacity of being retained for the next 1000 years. But the danger is this, our children and grandchildren may continue to face the challenge of political and social exclusions in the Nigerian project.

Therefore, like Nelson Mandela who successfully helped his people to deal with the emotions of slavery and apartheid regimes in South-Africa, the Igbos now needs a sound leadership that will sincerely advocate and help the people deal with the lingering emotions of the Nigerian civil war and convert the negative experience as their strongest weapons of strength.

The South learnt their bitter lessons, took it in their stride and worked assiduously to build the American project. They couldn’t have done that if the quest for secession was not completely laid to rest; and today they have Donald J. Trump as the President of the United States of America.

There is no doubt that the Igbos are major stakeholders in the Nigerian project. We must, however, reject Biafran vendors who frequently come on the scene offering false hopes while making merchandize of our inherent burdens.

So far, even under the present arrangement, we have proved not to be pushovers, not at all. We must, therefore, deal with negative impediments of the failed secession bid of the 1960s, and choose to integrate ourselves in the Nigerian project.

We must work towards dealing with the distrusts which have continued to affect our collective fortunes. We must kill that perception by other Nigerians that we as a people are still desperately seeking ways, by hook or crook, to jettison the Nigerian project.

As outlined in the second lesson from the American Civil War which shall be published in my next article, N’digbo is here to stay; and just as without much political power we have largely conquered the economy of this country, with diligence and hard work we are bound to rise and occupy the pride of place in the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

“Nwaanyi muta ite ofe mmiri mmiri, di ya amuta ipi utara aka were suru ofe.....” Meaning we must learn to change tactics if we are to thrive and emerge victorious in the situation we find ourselves.

Frank Eze
frankeze1967@gmail.com

https://vigil360.com.ng/exclusive-report/646-the-american-civil-war-of-1861-lessons-for-the-igbos-and-the-biafran-struggle-%E2%80%93-frank-eze.html

Re: The American Civil War Of 1861: Lessons For The Igbos And The Biafran Struggle by Nobody: 10:17am On Jun 16, 2017
Ok
Re: The American Civil War Of 1861: Lessons For The Igbos And The Biafran Struggle by haqueurate(m): 10:33am On Jun 16, 2017
intelligent review
lalasticalala please let them learn
Re: The American Civil War Of 1861: Lessons For The Igbos And The Biafran Struggle by Kenzico(m): 10:36am On Jun 16, 2017
Am an Igbo....And i dont support Biafra
Consequences of this Agitation can lead to

1) War
2) Total national distrust and hate
3) Division among other ethinic groups
4) More Deaths and more blood will be shed
5) Even the devil is happy becos more ignorant souls will end up in hell and many more...
I believe this country is in total ruins both political and social bases but i believe there are better ways of dealing with our problems more amicably.
Biafra is not a WAY-FORWARD....TRIBALISM is totally wrong
Re: The American Civil War Of 1861: Lessons For The Igbos And The Biafran Struggle by Pharaoh9(m): 11:22am On Jun 16, 2017
Kenzico:
Am an Igbo....And i dont support Biafra

Consequences of this Agitation can lead to

1) War

2) Total national distrust and hate

3) Division among other ethinic groups

4) More Deaths and more blood will be shed

5) Even the devil is happy becos more ignorant souls will end up in hell
and many more...

I believe this country is in total ruins both political and social bases
but i believe there are better ways of dealing with our problems more amicably.

Biafra is not a WAY-FORWARD....TRIBALISM is totally wrong

Why can't Nigeria be peacefully separated or even restructured?

are you sure Nigeria is not still under Northern empire/British empire?

Nigeria is using the wealth from Niger Delta to develop Abuja but the North asked the Igbo to leave the North for agitating for Biafra, That should tell you that the North is using the money to develop their land and can sack anyone at now or in future

Re: The American Civil War Of 1861: Lessons For The Igbos And The Biafran Struggle by Nobody: 12:00pm On Jun 16, 2017
No basis for comparison. The two events were fundamentally unrelated. Theirs was a fight between light and darkness. They fought to secure the enduring values of humanity. The defeat of the south in the war death a heavy blow on the principle of slave trade. This is totally different when compared with the Biafran war. Nigeria fought a war of subjugation and won. The subjugation has not ended till this day.
Re: The American Civil War Of 1861: Lessons For The Igbos And The Biafran Struggle by Kingbabu: 12:14pm On Jun 16, 2017
Good piece
Re: The American Civil War Of 1861: Lessons For The Igbos And The Biafran Struggle by Crystolexy: 12:18pm On Jun 16, 2017
I haven't seen backward people like you guys.. When has asking for self determination become asking for war? which Biafra said they want war? Nnamdi Kanu and IPOB/Biafran have given you lots more job than Nigeria government can imagine..

I guess you lack basic comprehension so to sound it clear and loud.. We're calling for referendum not war.. you can keep talking the trash but, I tell you we'll defend ourselves when you bring it on.
Re: The American Civil War Of 1861: Lessons For The Igbos And The Biafran Struggle by akpanoka: 6:22pm On Jun 16, 2017
I feel the Igbos are agitating for VP slot ahead of 2019.
that position may then prepare them for the Presidency in 2023.
however, their sustained call for secession may fuel subsisting distrust and make northerners fear that an igbo presidency could lead to the end of the country.
my advise: they shouls change tactics
Re: The American Civil War Of 1861: Lessons For The Igbos And The Biafran Struggle by Duru1(m): 6:47pm On Jun 16, 2017
kayez:

Recently, I published an article with the title, “The Merchant Called Nnamdi Kanu and His 2019 Senatorial Ambition". The responses have been quite amazing as reactions keep pouring into my email from far and near; some commendations, and others outright threats. Well I want to deeply appreciate everyone for their well thought out reactions.

I will further my arguments in this article on the renewed agitations for Biafra, particularly taking a deep retrospect of history. A great philosopher once said, “...hindsight is better than foresight”. The truth is that the more historical minded you are the better you can appreciate the present and chart an effective cause for the future. For this reason, I am going to lay a foundation today that will aid further examination of the abundant opportunities before the Igbos, now that secessionist agitations are raging.

Meanwhile, some excerpts in this article were taken from published works on the American Civil War, particularly, https://www.civilwar.org.

Now the American Civil War was fought between the United States of America and the Confederate States of America, a collection of eleven southern states that left the Union in 1860 and formed their own country in order to protect the institution of slavery.

The southern states of South Carolina, Mississippi, Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, Texas, Virginia, Arkansas, North Carolina, and Tennessee, seceded immediately Abraham Lincoln was elected President in 1860. Lincoln though was from the slave-state of Kentucky in the North refused to recognize the Confederate States, instead fought to keep the South in the Union.

The interesting fact was that between 1776 when America gained independence and George Washington was elected President, to the year of the secession in 1860, America had fifteen presidents, ten of which were from the South, and five of whom were presidents for two terms each. Indeed the south dominated the American political space.

However, the abolition of slave trade in Britain in 1807 changed the world order, in which the narrative of slave trade transformed drastically against holding fellow humans bondage. While religious and political leaders in the North of America began to agitate and call for the complete abolition of slave trade, the South who had maintained political dominance blatantly refused to heed the clarion call.

They were so blinded by the economic benefits they made from slave-trade that they began to lose political control to the North by the 1840s. In fact the last three presidents before the secession in 1860 were all from the North of America.

The greatest lessons from this political misfortune were represented by the years after the civil war, as the South completely lost political relevance in America. For a long time after the Civil War, politicians from the South were considered unelectable.

Abraham Lincoln's Vice President, Andrew Johnson was the last Southern president for nearly half a century. After President Woodrow Wilson administration in 1921, it took nearly another half a century before the next Southern president was elected.

During these periods Democratic Party rarely nominated Southern presidential candidates, as southerners were tagged with the brush of secession.

The northern electorates were equally extremely reluctant to cast a ballot for a southerner. That was how the south lost out completely in the political power structure in America for about 100 years, albeit the 1960s when the South began to regain political control.

The first lesson here is that every failed secession attempt comes with its own burden of distrust. The South-East region like the South in America has continued to suffer political consequences from the brushes of the failed secession attempt between 1967 and 1970.

Other component parts of Nigeria are seldom convinced that the Biafran dream has been laid to rest. Such distrusts which have grossly affected the political fortunes of the Igbos in the Nigerian project, have been fanned and fuelled by the occasional and at times sustained call for secession.

It’s like an aggrieved husband who constantly threatens the wife with divorce at the slightest provocation - that marriage will never see the light of day. As long as he feels there is a better “bride” out there, he WILL NEVER put in the required efforts to work out his current marriage.

The wife on her part will perpetually live on the edge of being thrown out of her matrimonial home. But however, the transgression(s) of the wife, the day both parties, starting with the aggrieved husband choose to deal with the emotions of offence and accommodate true forgiveness in his heart that marriage is heading for a successful outcome.

The Nigerian civil war remains the bloodiest experience for the Igbos as a people. Fifty years after, the memories of the war remains fresh in our minds. With well over 2.5 million deaths, it has not been easy to allow the emotions of that dastardly experience die, “just like that”.

The sentiments remain so strong that it has the capacity of being retained for the next 1000 years. But the danger is this, our children and grandchildren may continue to face the challenge of political and social exclusions in the Nigerian project.

Therefore, like Nelson Mandela who successfully helped his people to deal with the emotions of slavery and apartheid regimes in South-Africa, the Igbos now needs a sound leadership that will sincerely advocate and help the people deal with the lingering emotions of the Nigerian civil war and convert the negative experience as their strongest weapons of strength.

The South learnt their bitter lessons, took it in their stride and worked assiduously to build the American project. They couldn’t have done that if the quest for secession was not completely laid to rest; and today they have Donald J. Trump as the President of the United States of America.

There is no doubt that the Igbos are major stakeholders in the Nigerian project. We must, however, reject Biafran vendors who frequently come on the scene offering false hopes while making merchandize of our inherent burdens.

So far, even under the present arrangement, we have proved not to be pushovers, not at all. We must, therefore, deal with negative impediments of the failed secession bid of the 1960s, and choose to integrate ourselves in the Nigerian project.

We must work towards dealing with the distrusts which have continued to affect our collective fortunes. We must kill that perception by other Nigerians that we as a people are still desperately seeking ways, by hook or crook, to jettison the Nigerian project.

As outlined in the second lesson from the American Civil War which shall be published in my next article, N’digbo is here to stay; and just as without much political power we have largely conquered the economy of this country, with diligence and hard work we are bound to rise and occupy the pride of place in the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

“Nwaanyi muta ite ofe mmiri mmiri, di ya amuta ipi utara aka were suru ofe.....” Meaning we must learn to change tactics if we are to thrive and emerge victorious in the situation we find ourselves.

Frank Eze
frankeze1967@gmail.com

https://vigil360.com.ng/exclusive-report/646-the-american-civil-war-of-1861-lessons-for-the-igbos-and-the-biafran-struggle-%E2%80%93-frank-eze.html

The above statement of assumed fact and ignorant analogy of what were obtain after the end of the civil wars in USA and Niger-Area showed that the author of the crap is either stark ignorant or indulged in the foolishness of oneself. Since the end of USA civil war of 1863, the southern states have produced more President of USA than any region. The southern sates house the largest seaport and largest and busiest airport in USA. In terms of everyday life amenities, there is no southern states can second fiddle to states in northern region of USA. However the case is different in Nigeria. The victorious side in Nigeria is still waging the civil war against Biafran till today. They have introduces the quota system, engaged in the privatization of industries when Biafrans were economically disadvantage, the idiotic federal character when it favors the northern states and draconian government policies in localization of industries. There is nothing in Nigeria worthy of praise.

If war is the only option to solve the issue of Biafra, I am all for it and there will be no lesson to learn on the part of Biafrans. Humanity has seen war over and over again. Another war will not stop Biafra but certainly will end Nigeria. No country on earth has survived a second civil war. On this note, Biafra is sure to be actualized if war is the only option.

(1) (Reply)

Why I Understand Nnamdi Kanu. / Igbo Man Fights Polio In North But Almajiris Insult Us. / OMG!! Young 15 Year Old Nigerian Develops Android Game Named "Cube Sprint Sp"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.