Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,374 members, 7,836,520 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 09:15 AM

Top 5 Big Courses In Nigeria That Are Prone To Unemployment - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Top 5 Big Courses In Nigeria That Are Prone To Unemployment (62797 Views)

Three Rare University Courses In Nigeria That Can Give One A Multimillionaire / How ASUU Strike Is Promoting Prostitution, Unemployment, Poverty – Stakeholders / List Of Universities In Nigeria That Offer Admission Without JAMB True or False? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top 5 Big Courses In Nigeria That Are Prone To Unemployment by omikel(m): 12:08pm On Jun 17, 2017
what of ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH TECHNOLOGY?
Re: Top 5 Big Courses In Nigeria That Are Prone To Unemployment by Hokage94(m): 12:10pm On Jun 17, 2017
Collins10:
In which state, please brother is there any space there?
The hustle is real
Re: Top 5 Big Courses In Nigeria That Are Prone To Unemployment by Hokage94(m): 12:13pm On Jun 17, 2017
AreaFada2:

Very unfortunate. The brightest people I have met have either biochem background or use biochem to do research. Whether they are now doctors, basic researchers or whatever. The also have won Nobel Prize in Medicine or Physiology than almost all other backgrounds.

I would employ a biochemist sooner than any other person if I was an employer. From personal experience of school teachers back in Nigeria & medics/researchers in diaspora.

Trust your abilities. You will get there. Despite the difficulties of 9ja job market.
Proudly a #Biochemist
Re: Top 5 Big Courses In Nigeria That Are Prone To Unemployment by dauddy97(m): 12:14pm On Jun 17, 2017
HighIQ:
Welcome, here are some big courses with a potential of rendering those who studied it into a state of regrets.They are big courses. There names sound good to the hearing. But are these big courses really what they claim to be?. Or are their other courses or profession competing with them.? Let take a look at them in MY top 5 listings below.

1) PETROLEUM ENGINEERING: This is a very big course to many. And a lot of people who study this course are potential workers at the oil refineries and oil companies. But after these places where can a petroleum engineer work? Absolute no where! Apart for the fact that these graduates compete with graduates of other engineering courses for the limited vacancies they are equally likely to be ignored since it is a restricted course. Chemical engineering which encompasses major chemistry of engineering including Petroleum engineering are great competitors of these people. It means if a petroleum engineer is unable to get a place in the oil industry or oil company. It may become virtually impossible to get any other job due to its nature of restriction.

2) MASS COMMUNICATION: This course also sound so good but apart from the fact they are only resticted to only the mass media, graduates of English language and other related fields are also strong competitors of these people.

3) BANKING AND FINANCE: This course also sound so beautiful and it can easily attract the.mind of Jamb candidates into studying it. But the fact is that the banking sector is a very open sector to virtually any graduates even the science students and yoruba graduates. So at this time, your been a graduate of Banking and finance won't matter at all. The worst is that you are likely not going to get any Job outside the Banking sector.

4) INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS: Everyone want to be an international man but does the course really profess the name it bears?

5) MEDICAL BIOCHEMISTRY: Even biochemists are highly respected not to talk of a whole Medical Bichemist. But the fact is Medical biochemistry is under Bichemistry and as a result a restricted course. So they are likely to depend only in the hospital for a job. But sadly, graduates of Medical laboratory science have taken over most of their hospitayls and likely to be a great competitor or combater of these set of people.

What of Mechatronics engineering, any hope for them
Re: Top 5 Big Courses In Nigeria That Are Prone To Unemployment by Hokage94(m): 12:17pm On Jun 17, 2017
So which course we person wan study nah... see if Dino make am, I gats make am also oooo. .. #hope
Re: Top 5 Big Courses In Nigeria That Are Prone To Unemployment by AjiChris(f): 12:40pm On Jun 17, 2017
farouk0403:

Is he a prophet to predict for you?

just have self worth, sense of belonging and perseverance then you are good to go.
k
Re: Top 5 Big Courses In Nigeria That Are Prone To Unemployment by chukzyfcbb: 12:45pm On Jun 17, 2017
Hokage94:
So which course we person wan study nah... see if Dino make am, I gats make am also oooo. .. #hope
to me
these courses are very versatile
- Geology
- Computer science or computer engineering
- electrical and electronics engineering
- Accounting
study any of these and u will have various options where to work.

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Big Courses In Nigeria That Are Prone To Unemployment by AnaCheks(m): 12:47pm On Jun 17, 2017
If you are coming here to confirm whether the course u are studying is employable, I so so pity you. It means you don't even have a clue of where you are going to, what you want to achieve and why you are even studying the course. I am so sorry for you... Ndo oo

3 Likes

Re: Top 5 Big Courses In Nigeria That Are Prone To Unemployment by Gerrard59(m): 1:08pm On Jun 17, 2017
Nigerian students should understand that the course one studies does not matter anymore, rather the grade and other achievements you graduate with.

Focus on doing well in the course not the course's marketability. You can become anything by studying anything - just do well.

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Big Courses In Nigeria That Are Prone To Unemployment by aadoiza: 1:18pm On Jun 17, 2017
maxnedu11:
I thought building is area of specialization In civil engineering ..am not understanding u
No. It's a separate course on its own. It would have been lucrative but structural engineers and architects have usurped the positions of builders
Re: Top 5 Big Courses In Nigeria That Are Prone To Unemployment by jkbee(m): 2:34pm On Jun 17, 2017
TheHistorian:
History? grin
cheesy U no nice at all... see as U just nailed it gbam! Truth though.... many people studied certain courses because of delay in admission.
#NaijaPalava
Re: Top 5 Big Courses In Nigeria That Are Prone To Unemployment by Erums(m): 2:38pm On Jun 17, 2017
Habeyy:
banking and finance sounds good only in the air, even economics student get advantage pass them for bank

They're suppose to own thier bank
Re: Top 5 Big Courses In Nigeria That Are Prone To Unemployment by stonemasonn: 2:38pm On Jun 17, 2017
If you're an undergrad in any engineering and applied science course I'd advice you to go learn programming and any relevant programming language, and apply it to your field of study for fun.

You'll thank me much later.
Re: Top 5 Big Courses In Nigeria That Are Prone To Unemployment by Nobody: 2:45pm On Jun 17, 2017
[b]
GdexFolami:
Abeg put anatomy and physiology ...infact all paramedical courses

Perhaps, you don't know that there are nairalanders among anatomy and physiology students in college of health science ilorin, ur pics gave u out... It's alright.. .

U are a. 200l physiology, without real experience on the opportunities in anatomy and physiology, u don't know shit, except what u think u know.. .there are a lot of success stories from anatomy and physiology, if u like. Go for mbbs, no one is stopping you, but don't talk on what u don't know about other courses...

What is more sad, is the population of adults who back a 200l student up, whoin college is still a fresher.. ..

Though, I have nothing against you, but pls, next time, have knowledge on am issue b4 talking.

Back to the topic, while there are some truth in what the op said, but, it's all about how u market urself, and create chances for itself, don't limit urself and don't think that there is no way for u, it all depend on ur ideology and hard work... Trust me, the moment, u pose hope in urself, then u are done for.. ...but pray, work hard and pray, and success would be urs
[/b]
Re: Top 5 Big Courses In Nigeria That Are Prone To Unemployment by Hokage94(m): 2:53pm On Jun 17, 2017
chukzyfcbb:

to me
these courses are very versatile
- Geology
- Computer science or computer engineering
- electrical and electronics engineering
- Accounting
study any of these and u will have various options where to work.
Theriz god oh... so the others are hopeless. . Even medical doctors grin
Re: Top 5 Big Courses In Nigeria That Are Prone To Unemployment by chukzyfcbb: 3:01pm On Jun 17, 2017
Hokage94:

Theriz god oh... so the others are hopeless. . Even medical doctors grin
lol, doctors na shola na
the no1 job security in the world is peculiar to medical doctors. I didn't add them because everyone knows that already
Re: Top 5 Big Courses In Nigeria That Are Prone To Unemployment by Onyiridike(f): 3:23pm On Jun 17, 2017
@OP, you lack deep reasoning and anaytical skill.
You even included Biochemistry. The fact that you do not know a way does not mean that there is no way. A Biochemist works in:
1. Every science-related Research Institute in Nigeria
2. Universities, Polytechnics and monotechnics
3. UNICEF and WHO
4. FCMG Industries as Quality Control Analysts.
5. Medical and Sales Rep. in Phamaceutical Industries.
6. Environmentalists in Petroleum industries
7. Banks
8. Audit firms like KPMG, Ernst & Young, Delloite e.t.c
8. Public affairs analyst

9. Consultant to Food industries

10. Entrepreneurship e.g production of industrial enzymes, Industrial raw materials like ethanol, starch e.t.c

11. Among others.

NO COURSE OF STUDY IS IRRELEVANT. NIGERIA ONLY PRODUCE MORE GRADUATES THAN THEY CAN EMPLOY. EVEN GRADUATES OF MEDICINE ARE HAVING CHALLENGES.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 5 Big Courses In Nigeria That Are Prone To Unemployment by Chyma1(m): 3:28pm On Jun 17, 2017
ARCHITECTURE does
omosaku:
NO COURSE GUARANTEES EMPLOYMENT. Sincerely speaking no course guarantees employment. The issue is about the person in question. Gone are the days when people go to Universities in other to get employed. We need to change our mindset. You don't have to work with the course you studied. We go to school so that we can be better in whatever we find ourselves doing. While in schools, students should try to discover themselves. This is the most important thing to do. Deposited inside every one of us are about 700 talents, skills and giftings we can make the career from.
Re: Top 5 Big Courses In Nigeria That Are Prone To Unemployment by luckyz4rea(m): 3:35pm On Jun 17, 2017
HighIQ:
Welcome, here are some big courses with a potential of rendering those who studied it into a state of regrets.They are big courses. There names sound good to the hearing. But are these big courses really what they claim to be?. Or are their other courses or profession competing with them.? Let take a look at them in MY top 5 listings below.

1) PETROLEUM ENGINEERING: This is a very big course to many. And a lot of people who study this course are potential workers at the oil refineries and oil companies. But after these places where can a petroleum engineer work? Absolute no where! Apart for the fact that these graduates compete with graduates of other engineering courses for the limited vacancies they are equally likely to be ignored since it is a restricted course. Chemical engineering which encompasses major chemistry of engineering including Petroleum engineering are great competitors of these people. It means if a petroleum engineer is unable to get a place in the oil industry or oil company. It may become virtually impossible to get any other job due to its nature of restriction.

2) MASS COMMUNICATION: This course also sound so good but apart from the fact they are only resticted to only the mass media, graduates of English language and other related fields are also strong competitors of these people.

3) BANKING AND FINANCE: This course also sound so beautiful and it can easily attract the.mind of Jamb candidates into studying it. But the fact is that the banking sector is a very open sector to virtually any graduates even the science students and yoruba graduates. So at this time, your been a graduate of Banking and finance won't matter at all. The worst is that you are likely not going to get any Job outside the Banking sector.

4) INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS: Everyone want to be an international man but does the course really profess the name it bears?

5) MEDICAL BIOCHEMISTRY: Even biochemists are highly respected not to talk of a whole Medical Bichemist. But the fact is Medical biochemistry is under Bichemistry and as a result a restricted course. So they are likely to depend only in the hospital for a job. But sadly, graduates of Medical laboratory science have taken over most of their hospitals and likely to be a great competitor or combater of these set of people.

Are you serious?
Re: Top 5 Big Courses In Nigeria That Are Prone To Unemployment by Chyma1(m): 3:47pm On Jun 17, 2017
itslinkin4005:
Very very true ,am a graduate of petroluem engineering from futo..since 2010 i graduated no job
God will see you through

2 Likes

Re: Top 5 Big Courses In Nigeria That Are Prone To Unemployment by Emanodimo(m): 4:25pm On Jun 17, 2017
moscobabs:
Op I beg What did Evans study?

CRIMINOLOGY
Re: Top 5 Big Courses In Nigeria That Are Prone To Unemployment by Emanodimo(m): 4:26pm On Jun 17, 2017
Objective and factual
Re: Top 5 Big Courses In Nigeria That Are Prone To Unemployment by makinson2865: 4:26pm On Jun 17, 2017
addizzle:
dats my course in skul
Agricultural engineering is one of those lucrative jobs both in Nigeria and abroad.u can work as agricultural scientists as well as food science and engineer, u can stil fit in as mechanical engr in some organisation's where fabrication of machines is needed.u can work as biogas and biodieael engr.infact AGE is wide discipline. ....I rep AGE...LAUTECH CLASS 09

2 Likes

Re: Top 5 Big Courses In Nigeria That Are Prone To Unemployment by makinson2865: 4:36pm On Jun 17, 2017
zerojoy:
What do u think about Agric Engineering, tell me the job oppurtunities
Agricultural engineering is one of those lucrative jobs both in Nigeria and abroad.u can work as agricultural scientists as well as food science and engineer, u can stil fit in as mechanical engr in some organisation's where fabrication of machines is needed.u can work as biogas and biodieael engr.infact AGE is a wide and versatile discipline. ....I rep AGE...LAUTECH CLASS 09

1 Like

Re: Top 5 Big Courses In Nigeria That Are Prone To Unemployment by princessayesha(f): 4:59pm On Jun 17, 2017
Fishery grin
Re: Top 5 Big Courses In Nigeria That Are Prone To Unemployment by Ayoguy(m): 5:25pm On Jun 17, 2017
Computer science is proven to be very very lucrative whether with a job or not you would always have something to do except ure lazy
Re: Top 5 Big Courses In Nigeria That Are Prone To Unemployment by Suleh620(m): 5:49pm On Jun 17, 2017
HighIQ:

5) MEDICAL BIOCHEMISTRY: Even biochemists are highly respected not to talk of a whole Medical Bichemist. But the fact is Medical biochemistry is under Bichemistry and as a result a restricted course. So they are likely to depend only in the hospital for a job. But sadly, graduates of Medical laboratory science have taken over most of their hospitals and likely to be a great competitor or combater of these set of people.

That's why I Cherish my course Pharmacy. U can even employ others at your community pharmacy. U dont depend on Government for job
Re: Top 5 Big Courses In Nigeria That Are Prone To Unemployment by Oladipo1166(m): 6:08pm On Jun 17, 2017
I gat friends 4 plb,zoology and sta. dy use 2 make jest of my bkus I dy study chemistry edu...
Re: Top 5 Big Courses In Nigeria That Are Prone To Unemployment by Nobody: 6:39pm On Jun 17, 2017
op think is every medical doctor that gets employed go and ask dem some of dem will discourage u from following their steps
Re: Top 5 Big Courses In Nigeria That Are Prone To Unemployment by bolinjkezzy(m): 6:40pm On Jun 17, 2017
Add civil engineering abeg....Been searching for I.t placement for 3month, if u con dy find work nko?
If to say I know make I don learn fashion designing with that four years I go don sabi work
Bullshit course
Re: Top 5 Big Courses In Nigeria That Are Prone To Unemployment by bolinjkezzy(m): 6:42pm On Jun 17, 2017
Oladipo1166:
I gat friends 4 plb,zoology and sta. dy use 2 make jest of my bkus I dy study chemistry edu...
Laugh them self cos na same level all of those dy....I dy study civil engineering though but I tell you its not better than your course.... all same bullshit
Re: Top 5 Big Courses In Nigeria That Are Prone To Unemployment by Gbelexy(m): 6:48pm On Jun 17, 2017
Botany

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

How Students Are Punished In Cameroon For Coming Late To School / Reps Ask FG To Ban Queen Primer Textbook, It Contains ‘sexual Perversions’ (pic / Overhead Water Tank Falls Into Pre-Nursery Classroom In Anambra, Kills 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.