Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,164 members, 7,821,949 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:34 PM

IGBOEXIT: Lesson From The Quit Notice Given To Indians By Ugandan Idi Amin - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / IGBOEXIT: Lesson From The Quit Notice Given To Indians By Ugandan Idi Amin (6945 Views)

Group Reacts To 48--hour Notice Given To Herdsmen To Vacate Enugu By MASSOP / Fayose Reacts To Quit Notice Given To Igbos / Abdulsalami Abubakar Reacts To Quit Notice Given To Igbos By Arewa Youths (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

IGBOEXIT: Lesson From The Quit Notice Given To Indians By Ugandan Idi Amin by Techwriter: 9:56pm On Jun 17, 2017
Ok I call this IgboExit from the Brexit coinage. It is the desire of the Igbos to leave the Nigerian Union and form Biafra, but what Im about to talk about borders on the quit notice given to Igbos by Arewa Youths so they can inherit their properties. The misconception of somepeople about Biafra is that Igbos will leave Nigeria after the nation is formed. Far from that, Nigeria declare In dependence from Britain and there are still many Nigerians in Britain. But the topic today is about Uganda, someone wrote

In 1972, General Idi Amin, the Head of State of Uganda, ordered the 80,000 South Asians living in his country to leave, they had 90 days to comply and could only take $50 out of Uganda

Of the 80,000 Asians ordered to leave Uganda, 23,000 were Ugandan citizens whose parents had lived in the country even before Uganda became a nation. Indians first moved to Uganda in the 1890s to work in large railway and infrastructure projects. By the 1970s, they were leading in business and commerce. Before the expulsion, Asians owned many large businesses in Uganda. A BBC News report posted that the Indians owned 90% of Uganda businesses and accounted for 90% of Uganda's tax revenues.

Why did Idi Amin expel 50,000 Asians that gave him 90% of tax revenues?

Well he accusing them of "sabotaging Uganda's economy and encouraging corruption" in addition to "milking Uganda's money". The expulsion was in Idi Amin"s words a “deliberate policy to transfer the economic control of Uganda into the hands of Ugandans for the first time in our country's history.”

It was in effect a money grab by Idi Amin, according to a book by Jan Jorgensen titled Uganda : A Modern History, about 5,655 individual firms, ranches, farms, and agricultural estates even cars and televisions were reallocated by Idi Amin to selected beneficiaries, mostly individuals who whose only qualification to "inherit" these business was that they were Ugandan and friends of Idi Amin. This was an eradication of the Ugandan economic middle-class, with the express intent to seizure and transfer their wealth.

So the Asians left Uganda, most moved to the UK, some to Canada, US, West Germany, it was an exodus. What was Uganda loss became the gain of the nations that accepted the Asians. In 2012, David Cameron the British PM called the Asians from Uganda “one of the most successful groups of immigrants anywhere in the history of the world”, why? because they prospered and paid taxes in the UK.

What happened to Uganda? A working paper by the Maastricht School of Management examined the social and economic effects of the Asian expulsion from Uganda, the paper found and we quote...

"The Ugandan economy was devastated by Amin’s expulsion of the Asian community........The real value of salaries and wages fall by 90% in less than a decade. ........In retrospect, the expulsion put an end to Uganda's post-independence prosperity.....Investments dried up, exports declined, and per capita incomes fell continuously from 1973 (Asians expelled in 1972).

The working paper continues. "Thus, there were three main effects of the Asian expulsion:

1. Skilled managers were replaced by largely unskilled people, often drawn from the military and with little education;

2. The appropriation of their properties earned the country a long-lived reputation for lawlessness and property confiscation;

3. The manner in which former Asian businesses were acquired created insecurity of tenure, leading to asset stripping.

in summary, the expulsion of the Asians from Uganda was an economic disaster.

in 1985, President Yoweri Museveni, asked the Asian exiles to return to Uganda, some have. Now despite making up less than 1% of the population, the Asians are now estimated to contribute up to 65% of Uganda's tax revenues, in fact Uganda richest man, Sudhir Ruperalia, is an Asian. So the plan by Idi Amin to redistribute Asian property to Ugandan backfired, and today the Uganda economy is back in Asian hands.

Collective wealth it seems is created organically, deliberately and strategically. its cannot be expropriated from one group of citizens and handed over to different group of citizens.....no.

Those that forget history are condemned to repeat it.

9 Likes

Re: IGBOEXIT: Lesson From The Quit Notice Given To Indians By Ugandan Idi Amin by KillJoy62(m): 10:09pm On Jun 17, 2017
Igboexit, lol. Exodus movement of Jah people. we leaving nigerylon, moving to our father land. Biafra we hail thee. ipobexposed am not surprised if ur family members wer among the saboteurs we had during the civil war back den, but hate it or like it we aint gonna be having snitch like u around biafra, so remain in the north wit ur arewa friends nd i hope u wld be pleased to see how dey wld entertain u. lol

16 Likes

Re: IGBOEXIT: Lesson From The Quit Notice Given To Indians By Ugandan Idi Amin by GavelSlam: 10:38pm On Jun 17, 2017
To thy tent.
Re: IGBOEXIT: Lesson From The Quit Notice Given To Indians By Ugandan Idi Amin by Pharaoh9(m): 11:47pm On Jun 17, 2017
How Fulani Herdsmen Destroyed 50 Million Naira worth of Agricultural Investment In Edo State

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5LZMNBaNaU

3 Likes

Re: IGBOEXIT: Lesson From The Quit Notice Given To Indians By Ugandan Idi Amin by salford1: 12:10am On Jun 18, 2017
In summary, we should all live together as one
Re: IGBOEXIT: Lesson From The Quit Notice Given To Indians By Ugandan Idi Amin by Built2last: 12:21am On Jun 18, 2017
Ok
Re: IGBOEXIT: Lesson From The Quit Notice Given To Indians By Ugandan Idi Amin by madridguy(m): 12:47am On Jun 18, 2017
The OP should also include how the Igbos hate everyone. Igbos are tired of the zoo, they don't want to do anything with the Almajiri people again so what is the point of holding them back? Let the IGBOS leave and make their Biafra Japan of Africa.

8 Likes

Re: IGBOEXIT: Lesson From The Quit Notice Given To Indians By Ugandan Idi Amin by Techwriter: 12:57am On Jun 18, 2017
madridguy:
The OP should also include how the Igbos hate everyone. Igbos are tired of the zoo, they don't want to do anything with the Almajiri people again so what is the point of holding them back? Let the IGBOS leave and make their Biafra Japan of Africa.
you didnt read the post: asking for a country called Biafra is not demanding to quit from where they presently live. Britain didnt ask Nigerians and other Africans to leave their country because they asked for independence

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: IGBOEXIT: Lesson From The Quit Notice Given To Indians By Ugandan Idi Amin by madridguy(m): 1:07am On Jun 18, 2017
I diligently read through your post. I will suggest you stop bringing wrong instances to buttress your ill point. I will like you to educate me if the Nigerians back then in the Britain called GB zoo, tell me if they wake up in the morning and praying for the death of the queen, and I will like to know if they wish Great Britain war or any form of calamity.

We Nigerians are tired of you people, we don't hate you but we want you leave. Pack your bag and leave our country.

Techwriter:

you didnt read the post: asking for a country called Biafra is not demanding to quit from where they presently live. Britain didnt ask Nigerians and other Africans to leave their country because they asked for independence

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: IGBOEXIT: Lesson From The Quit Notice Given To Indians By Ugandan Idi Amin by Techwriter: 1:30am On Jun 18, 2017
madridguy:
I diligently read through your post. I will suggest you stop bringing wrong instances to buttress your ill point. I will like you to educate me if the Nigerians back then in the Britain called GB zoo, tell me if they wake up in the morning and praying for the death of the queen, and I will like to know if they wish Great Britain war or any form of calamity.

We Nigerians are tired of you people, we don't hate you but we want you leave. Pack your bag and leave our country.

Unfortunately your fathers think otherwise. So when you say WE, elaborate that u mean we Nigerian Teens

20 Likes

Re: IGBOEXIT: Lesson From The Quit Notice Given To Indians By Ugandan Idi Amin by madridguy(m): 1:34am On Jun 18, 2017
Stop shifting the goal post because it isn't funny. Pack your load and go. October is fast approaching, IPOB must go. Shikena

Techwriter:

Unfortunately your fathers think otherwise. So when you say WE, elaborate that u mean we Nigerian Teens

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: IGBOEXIT: Lesson From The Quit Notice Given To Indians By Ugandan Idi Amin by feelgoodInc: 1:53am On Jun 18, 2017
the same mistake that Zimbabwe did, thinking that Lazy ass Zimbs are going to transform the economy after chasing out white farmers who were doing better.

14 Likes

Re: IGBOEXIT: Lesson From The Quit Notice Given To Indians By Ugandan Idi Amin by Nobody: 2:43am On Jun 18, 2017
madridguy:

Am not in support of Biafra. But get your facts right. The first person to call Nigeria animal kingdom is a Yoruba man by the name fela. And who lives in a country for 50 years without electricity and not consider it a zoo.

21 Likes

Re: IGBOEXIT: Lesson From The Quit Notice Given To Indians By Ugandan Idi Amin by madridguy(m): 2:46am On Jun 18, 2017
Let the IPOB leave our zoo or animal kingdom and go to their paradise.

blueseacats:
Am not in support of Biafra. But get your facts right. The first person to call Nigeria animal kingdom is a Yoruba man by the name fela. And who lives in a country for 50 years without electricity and not consider it a zoo.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: IGBOEXIT: Lesson From The Quit Notice Given To Indians By Ugandan Idi Amin by HiddenShadow: 3:40am On Jun 18, 2017
madridguy:
Let the IPOB leave our zoo or animal kingdom and go to their paradise.

Tell FG to return back the document of surrender signed at the end of the war

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: IGBOEXIT: Lesson From The Quit Notice Given To Indians By Ugandan Idi Amin by Outofsync(m): 3:51am On Jun 18, 2017
Same old same old.
Re: IGBOEXIT: Lesson From The Quit Notice Given To Indians By Ugandan Idi Amin by madridguy(m): 4:01am On Jun 18, 2017
Cowards grin grin grin

HiddenShadow:

Tell FG to return back the document of surrender signed at the end of the war

5 Likes

Re: IGBOEXIT: Lesson From The Quit Notice Given To Indians By Ugandan Idi Amin by salford1: 4:41am On Jun 18, 2017
Difference is that Hausas, Yorubas and other minorities are neither Zimbabweans or Ugandans. They are Nigerians.

7 Likes

Re: IGBOEXIT: Lesson From The Quit Notice Given To Indians By Ugandan Idi Amin by kheart(m): 5:39am On Jun 18, 2017
All dis ur grama no be am, d major point of contention be say na only animals dey for zoo and since Igbos re not animals dey must vacate d zoo.

Shikena

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: IGBOEXIT: Lesson From The Quit Notice Given To Indians By Ugandan Idi Amin by newbornmacho(m): 6:07am On Jun 18, 2017
madridguy:

You want education? OK.
I'm aware of Nigerians that marched against great Britain, right on Trafalgar square demonstrating against the British apartheid government in south Africa. They were never deported nor even manhandled. Well if you're educated, you must know the arewa threat of ethnic' mop up' or cleansing, or whatever played you people right into a dead end! I'm an Igbo in the north, and very happy to call your bluff. I can't be shooed away. I am here until the country is divided legally, and then I go to my own country. Until then I will continue to call out the northern criminals. I dare the arewa youth to carry out their threat. They know where to find us. Let me stop here for now.

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: IGBOEXIT: Lesson From The Quit Notice Given To Indians By Ugandan Idi Amin by Lushore1: 7:05am On Jun 18, 2017
newbornmacho:

You want education? OK.
I'm aware of Nigerians that marched against great Britain, right on Trafalgar square demonstrating against the British apartheid government in south Africa. They were never deported nor even manhandled. Well if you're educated, you must know the arewa threat of ethnic' mop up' or cleansing, or whatever played you people right into a dead end! I'm an Igbo in the north, and very happy to call your bluff. I can't be shooed away. I am here until the country is divided legally, and then I go to my own country. Until then I will continue to call out the northern criminals. I dare the arewa youth to carry out their threat. They know where to find us. Let me stop here for now.

You guys should have thought about the aftermath of hate campaign you directed at Nigerians since the conception of iPod. Most of us are getting tired of your daily threat and at this junction we are just wondering why you still want to continue leaving amongst us. Its either you want to live and continue your business in place you have referred to as a zoo or you want to go and live in Biafra.
Just make up your mind.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: IGBOEXIT: Lesson From The Quit Notice Given To Indians By Ugandan Idi Amin by blackpanda: 7:12am On Jun 18, 2017
Nigerians are sick and tired of igbos victim mentality. If you hate our beloved country Nigeria, then get out of our land. Period.

14 Likes

Re: IGBOEXIT: Lesson From The Quit Notice Given To Indians By Ugandan Idi Amin by newbornmacho(m): 7:32am On Jun 18, 2017
Lushore1:

You guys should have thought about the aftermath of hate campaign you directed at Nigerians since the conception of iPod. Most of us are getting tired of your daily threat and at this junction we are just wondering why you still want to continue leaving amongst us. Its either you want to live and continue your business in place you have referred to as a zoo or you want to go and live in Biafra.
Just make up your mind.
Listen. As it is now, I want to leave the north to Biafra or whatever else emerges. Do you understand that? Let the country be divided , let me be sure that me and my people are not going into a place with only hostile nigerian soldiers carrying guns and standing guard over me. Give me my own country let me go. Until then I will continue to invoke international law to protect my rights.

4 Likes

Re: IGBOEXIT: Lesson From The Quit Notice Given To Indians By Ugandan Idi Amin by pazienza(m): 7:37am On Jun 18, 2017
Lushore1:

Just make up your mind.

What hate campaign do you speak of?

6 Likes

Re: IGBOEXIT: Lesson From The Quit Notice Given To Indians By Ugandan Idi Amin by Lushore1: 7:50am On Jun 18, 2017
newbornmacho:

Listen. As it is now, I want to leave the north to Biafra or whatever else emerges. Do you understand that? Let the country be divided , let me be sure that me and my people are not going into a place with only hostile nigerian soldiers carrying guns and standing guard over me. Give me my own country let me go. Until then I will continue to invoke international law to protect my rights.

I am not aware of any law prohibiting you from leaving north or any other part of the "Zoo". I perfectly understand that you wanted to leave the "Zoo", I just don't know what's stopping you from leaving right away.

6 Likes

Re: IGBOEXIT: Lesson From The Quit Notice Given To Indians By Ugandan Idi Amin by newbornmacho(m): 7:56am On Jun 18, 2017
Lushore1:

I am not aware of any law prohibiting you from leaving north or any other part of the "Zoo". I perfectly understand that you wanted to leave the "Zoo", I just don't know what's stopping you from leaving right away.
A referendum that gives birth to a new nation , followed by the Nigerian army withdrawing from my territories. Do that and if you see me here do whatever you like.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: IGBOEXIT: Lesson From The Quit Notice Given To Indians By Ugandan Idi Amin by Lushore1: 7:57am On Jun 18, 2017
pazienza:

What hate campaign do you speak of?

Bro, I'm sure you are aware of how much the ipod hate the "Zoo".

2 Likes

Re: IGBOEXIT: Lesson From The Quit Notice Given To Indians By Ugandan Idi Amin by pazienza(m): 8:00am On Jun 18, 2017
Lushore1:

Not as much as the zoo hate IPOB.

Your hate towards IPOB and Biafra is being returned back to you by IPOB and Biafrans, were you expecting them to return your hate with love?

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: IGBOEXIT: Lesson From The Quit Notice Given To Indians By Ugandan Idi Amin by obailala(m): 8:04am On Jun 18, 2017
Of course history doesnt lie and the wise man learns from the experiences of others. If Igbos are chased away fron Nigeria, the economy of Nigeria will definitely crumble and it may take decades to fix it.

However, considering the vitriolic tirades of the ipob organisation and its thoughtless adherents in the last 2 years who havent relented in throwing needless abuses at any and everyone, how can we really blame anyone in Nigeria for reciprocating by asking Igbos to leave (in order to claim abandoned property)?

5 Likes

Re: IGBOEXIT: Lesson From The Quit Notice Given To Indians By Ugandan Idi Amin by Lushore1: 8:07am On Jun 18, 2017
newbornmacho:

A referendum that gives birth to a new nation , followed by the Nigerian army withdrawing from my territories. Do that and if you see me here do whatever you like.

Good, but unfortunately referendum in regards to independent nation is not part of Nigeria constitution and you will have to put pressure on your elective representatives in the "Zoo" government to do something about that.

Until then, show us that this is just not a noise making exercise by moving your family and business out of the "Zoo".

5 Likes

Re: IGBOEXIT: Lesson From The Quit Notice Given To Indians By Ugandan Idi Amin by UncleJudax(m): 8:09am On Jun 18, 2017
Lushore1:

That happens to be the greatest crime of this century huh angry
Other Nigerians call the country worse names but thats no problem...so long as they are not IGBOs

You don't have to be agitating for Biafra to know that Nigeria is presently a dead-end.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ganduje's Wife Once Walked Out Ajimobi's Son Until Governor Tambuwal Stepped In / PDP Made Southeast Land Of Abandoned Projects, UPP Chairman Alleges / 2019 Elections: Buhari To Sign Peace Accord With Atiku, Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.