Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,045 members, 7,835,530 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:25 AM

Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To God? Judges 11:29-31 - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To God? Judges 11:29-31 (690 Views)

Why Did The God Tell Abraham To Sacrifice His Child / Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? / Spirit Meat: The Nature That Won’t Go To War With God - Judges 7:1-7 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To God? Judges 11:29-31 by Ellegacy(m): 11:12am On Jun 18, 2017
Baptist Family use Jephthah as Daily devotion to God. In as much it focus about the rise of of Jephthah, it carries with it's many controversies one of which;

Judges 11:30-31 30 And Jephthah vowed a vow unto the Lord, and said, If thou shalt without fail deliver the children of Ammon into mine hands 31 Then it shall be, that whatsoever cometh forth of the doors of my house to meet me, when I return in peace from the children of Ammon, shall surely be the Lord’s, and I will offer it up for a burnt offering.

So when it comes time to follow trough on his promise with his daughter, the text says:

Judges 11:39-40 39 And it came to pass at the end of two months, that she returned unto her father, who did with her according to his vow which he had vowed: and she knew no man. And it was a custom in Israel, 40 That the daughters of Israel went yearly to lament the daughter of Jephthah the Gileadite four days in a year.

It seems clear that she was, in fact, offered as a burnt offering in violation of

Deuteronomy 18:10 - 10 There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch and

Jermiah 7-31 31 And they have built the high places of Tophet, which is in the valley of the son of Hinnom, to burn their sons and their daughters in the fire; which I commanded them not, neither came it into my heart.

So what Jephthah did was a complete violation of God commandment. God forbid Human sacrifice and he will never allow it. Remember when he told Abraham to sacrifice his only Son, God did not let him go with it, instead he made another option for Abraham.

But the Bible made us realize that Jephthah did Sacrifice his only daughter! As in kill her only daughter as burnt offering The question is to what God?

Definitely not to God!
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To God? Judges 11:29-31 by xpizzy(m): 11:23am On Jun 18, 2017
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To God? Judges 11:29-31 by Nobody: 12:17pm On Jun 18, 2017
Ellegacy:
Baptist Family use Jephthah as Daily devotion to God. In as much it focus about the rise of of Jephthah, it carries with it's many controversies one of which;

Judges 11:30-31 30 And Jephthah vowed a vow unto the Lord, and said, If thou shalt without fail deliver the children of Ammon into mine hands 31 Then it shall be, that whatsoever cometh forth of the doors of my house to meet me, when I return in peace from the children of Ammon, shall surely be the Lord’s, and I will offer it up for a burnt offering.

So when it comes time to follow trough on his promise with his daughter, the text says:

Judges 11:39-40 39 And it came to pass at the end of two months, that she returned unto her father, who did with her according to his vow which he had vowed: and she knew no man. And it was a custom in Israel, 40 That the daughters of Israel went yearly to lament the daughter of Jephthah the Gileadite four days in a year.

It seems clear that she was, in fact, offered as a burnt offering in violation of

Deuteronomy 18:10 - 10 There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch and

Jermiah 7-31 31 And they have built the high places of Tophet, which is in the valley of the son of Hinnom, to burn their sons and their daughters in the fire; which I commanded them not, neither came it into my heart.

So what Jephthah did was a complete violation of God commandment. God forbid Human sacrifice and he will never allow it. Remember when he told Abraham to sacrifice his only Son, God did not let him go with it, instead he made another option for Abraham.

But the Bible made us realize that Jephthah did Sacrifice his only daughter! As in kill her only daughter as burnt offering The question is to what God?

Definitely not to God!

kwakwakwakwakwakwakwakwakwakwakwakwa

Pls don't discard the Old Testament oh
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To God? Judges 11:29-31 by Liveair: 1:42pm On Jun 18, 2017
OP, you have answered the question already. Yes, he sacrificed his daughter as burnt offering to God whom he made the promise to.

BTW, there isn't anywhere in the Bible that God reprimanded him for that.

When you study how the Bible came about, you'll understand why the numerous contradictions and why it shouldn't be taken seriously.
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To God? Judges 11:29-31 by judedwriter(m): 2:11pm On Jun 18, 2017
Ellegacy:

Definitely not to God!

No Jephthah didn't offer his only daughter as a burnt offering to God per se; he offered her up as a maidservant of God in His temple. This was why she and her companions went up the hills to mourn her virginity; she was a virgin till the day of her death. Just like the catholic nuns of today, who are expected to be sexual chaste, devoted to God.
I have researched this, though i am not 100percent sure, but i believe this occured.

1 Like

Re: Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To God? Judges 11:29-31 by Adekdammy: 2:13pm On Jun 18, 2017

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

The Secret Of My Money - TB Joshua / Should A Christian Use Horoscope And Zodiac Signs? / Video Of Prophet TB Joshua Carrying Cement Alongside Foreign Visitors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.