Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,940 members, 7,821,296 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:04 AM

Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? (5018 Views)

Did Jephthah Actually Sacrifice His Daughter To God? Judges 11:29-31 / Did Jephthah Sacrifice His Daughter As A Burnt Offering To The Lord? / Woman Pledges Daughter As Tithe In Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? by Splinz(m): 4:55pm On Jan 21, 2017
And Jephthah made a vow to the LORD, and said, "If thou wilt give the Ammonites into my hand, then whoever comes forth from the doors of my house to meet me, when I return victorious from the Ammonites, shall be the LORD's, and I will offer him up for a burnt offering. (Judges 11:30-31)

Yes, it was a vow. And some people believed that it was a vow of literally burning his daughter in fire as a sacrifice. But is this true? Was this vow that of roasting his daughter in fire, the very wicked practices God adhorred? We only need look at few verses after this vow, to find out what really happened. So lets see.

Then Jephthah came to his home at Mizpah; and behold, his daughter came out to meet him with timbrels and with dances; she was his only child; beside her he had neither son nor daughter. And when he saw her, he rent his clothes, and said, "Alas, my daughter! you have brought me very low, and you have become the cause of great trouble to me; for I have opened my mouth to the LORD, and I cannot take back my vow, verse 34-35.

After God has granted Jephthah victory over his enemies, he returned home to meet with his one and only child, and it made him exceedingly sorrowful because of the vow he made.

And she said to him, "My father, if you have opened your mouth to the LORD, do to me according to what has gone forth from your mouth, now that the LORD has avenged you on your enemies, on the Ammonites. And she said to her father, "Let this thing be done for me; let me alone two months, that I may go and wander on the mountains, and bewail my virginity, I and my companions. And he said, "Go." And he sent her away for two months; and she departed, she and her companions, and bewailed her virginity upon the mountains. And at the end of two months, she returned to her father, who did with her according to his vow which he had made. She had never known a man..., verse 36-39.

From these later verses, we see that Jephthah's daughter agrees to her father's vow, but asked for two months to "bewail her virginity". What does it mean by "bewailing her virginity?". Simple.

Jephthah's daughter wails because she was to remain a virgin all her life, as the vow her father made was that of consecration, i.e, she was to serve God in the temple all her life as a virgin. In fact, Jephthah vowed the same vow Hannah vowed to God in 1 Samuel 1:11. Like Jephthah's daughter, Samuel too served in the temple all his life.

Now you know what happened, and I believed it is cleared enough.

[b]THE END![/b

ManMen

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? by sonmvayina(m): 7:40pm On Jan 21, 2017
Dont beat yourself too hatd it is just a parable told to educate you on making vows..if you make any vow to God, you must fulfill it..
the story did not happen in history.just to teach you you some spiritual truth...

thr letter killeth. the spirit gives life.....
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? by jayriginal: 10:48pm On Jan 21, 2017
This is nonsense.

She was burnt (according to the story) end of!
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? by Splinz(m): 7:39am On Jan 22, 2017
Cc: Seun Lalasticlala Mynd44
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? by Nobody: 11:59am On Jan 22, 2017
If the Bible says she was then she was. Simple.

God does not answer to any created being , visible and invisible.

He created everything and he does whatever he likes with it all.

We are his possession.

1 Like

Re: Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? by Splinz(m): 12:13pm On Jan 22, 2017
Ioannes:
If the Bible says she was then she was. Simple.

God does not answer to any created being , visible and invisible.

He created everything and he does whatever he likes with it all.

We are his possession.

But unfortunately for you, the Bible says she wasn't.

Learn to rightly divide the word of God.
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? by Nobody: 12:15pm On Jan 22, 2017
Splinz:

But unfortunately for you, the Bible says she wasn't.

Learn to rightly divide the word of God.

Obviously you missed my point.
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? by Splinz(m): 12:21pm On Jan 22, 2017
Ioannes:

Obviously you missed my point.
Which is
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? by Nobody: 12:29pm On Jan 22, 2017
Splinz:

Which is

God doesn't answer to anybody. If he asked somebody to sacrifice their son for him, then so be it.

1 Like

Re: Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? by Splinz(m): 1:10pm On Jan 22, 2017
Ioannes:

God doesn't answer to anybody. If he asked somebody to sacrifice their son for him, then so be it.

And I said God never and will never ask for such a sacrifice because He clearly abhorred and condemned it in the strongest of terms.

Yes, He is not answerable to anyone. But at the same time, He doesn't abuse His powers!
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? by hopefulLandlord: 1:15pm On Jan 22, 2017
Oga apologist, Bewailing virginity does not mean she wasn't killed

1 Like

Re: Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? by Nobody: 1:18pm On Jan 22, 2017
Splinz:

And I said God never and will never ask for such a sacrifice because He clearly abhorred and condemned it in the strongest of terms.

Yes, He is not answerable to anyone. But at the same time, He doesn't abuse His powers!

Lol there are passages where God actually instructed the kings of Israel to massacre another kingdom men, women and children and that none should be spared.

You don't known the mind of God. Nobody knows.

1 Like

Re: Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? by Splinz(m): 2:02pm On Jan 22, 2017
hopefulLandlord:
Oga apologist, Bewailing virginity does not mean she wasn't killed

Prove that she was killed.
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? by Splinz(m): 2:05pm On Jan 22, 2017
Ioannes:

Lol there are passages where God actually instructed the kings of Israel to massacre another kingdom men, women and children and that none should be spared.

You don't known the mind of God. Nobody knows.

And I know when He issues such commands and its justification. Maybe it's you that doesn't know His mind.
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? by hopefulLandlord: 2:36pm On Jan 22, 2017
Splinz:

Prove that she was killed.

I doubt you know what you're talking about

Let's examine the verses, shall we?

I'll be quoting from KJV

Judges 11:31

"Then it shall be, that whatsoever cometh forth of the doors of my house to meet me, when I return in peace from the children of Ammon, shall surely be the Lord's, and I will offer it up for a burnt offering."

Take note of the bolded because it'll be referenced later

Vs34

And Jephthah came to Mizpeh unto his house, and, behold, his daughter came out to meet him with timbrels and with dances: and she was his only child; beside her he had neither son nor daughter.

Vs36

And she said unto him, My father, if thou hast opened thy mouth unto the Lord, do to me according to that which hath proceeded out of thy mouth; forasmuch as the Lord hath taken vengeance for thee of thine enemies, even of the children of Ammon.

Take note of this bolded too

Vs39

And it came to pass at the end of two months, that she returned unto her father, who did with her according to his vow which he had vowed

All the bewailing has next to nothing to do with this

1 he promised to offer whatever comes out to meet him as BURNT OFFERING

2 she said Jephthah should do what he vowed

2 His father DID TO HER ACCORDING TO HIS VOW WHICH HE HAD VOWED

scholars who found the story hard to swallow simply started using bewailing and lamentation as a copout and you're regurgitating the same thing

she bewailed her virginity because she'll die a virgin, this bewailing doesn't tell if she's killed or not because being burnt as a virgin doesn't suddenly make you deflowered

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? by Splinz(m): 3:40pm On Jan 22, 2017
HopefulLandord, you haven't proven anything. The "burnt offering" as it is used in that context is the same thing as saying "offer a sacrifice of praise to God" (Hebrews 13:15). If you were to translate it literally, how do you sacrifice praise?

I repeat, Jephthah's daughter was wholly sacrifice- consecrated- or sanctified to served God all her life, just like the vow Hannah made!
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? by hopefulLandlord: 4:06pm On Jan 22, 2017
Splinz:
HopefulLandord, you haven't proven anything. The "burnt offering" as it is used in that context is the same thing as saying "offer a sacrifice of praise to God" (Hebrews 13:15). If you were to translate it literally, how do you sacrifice praise?

I repeat, Jephthah's daughter was wholly sacrifice- consecrated- or sanctified to served God all her life, just like the vow Hannah made!

bros, you're not talking to a novice here, I decided to open the Bible verse you quoted

Hebrew 13:15

Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise—the fruit of lips that openly profess his name.

what has this got to do with Jephthah promising to sacrifice whatever comes out to meet him after battle as "BURNT OFFERING"? then " Do to her as he had vowed"?

"Burnt Offering" is clearly the vow so I honestly don't know what you're getting at here

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? by Splinz(m): 4:16pm On Jan 22, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

bros, you're not talking to a novice here, I decided to open the Bible verse you quoted

Hebrew 13:15

Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise—the fruit of lips that openly profess his name.

what has this got to do with Jephthah promising to sacrifice whatever comes out to meet him after battle as "BURNT OFFERING"? then " Do to her as he had vowed"?

"Burnt Offering" is clearly the vow so I honestly don't know what you're getting at here

Simple. Same way the sacrifice of praise is understood to be "fruits of lips" according to you (of course these are all metaphors, or does the lips bears fruits in the literal sense of it?), is the same way the "burnt offering vow" is understood to be what has already been explained, and this understanding is in perfect harmony with other Scriptures.
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? by hopefulLandlord: 4:21pm On Jan 22, 2017
Splinz:

Simple. Same way the sacrifice of praise is understood to be "fruits of lips" according to you (of course these are all metaphors, or does the lips bears fruits in the literal sense of it?), is the same way the "burnt offering vow" is understood to be what has already been explained, and this understanding is in perfect harmony with other Scriptures.

bros, look for another example, this one fails obviously

it has no harmony, the Hannah example you gave also fails in the sense that Hannah never vowed to sacrifice Samuel as "BURNT OFFERING" look for another example

so far my claims have been straightforward

1 he vowed that whatever comes out to him would be the Lord's and he'll SACRIFICE AS BURNT OFFERING to God

2 He was sad when his only daughter came to him

3 the daughter told him to do to her as he vowed

4 he did to her as he vowed

the story is pretty straightforward and till you show me where someone promised "BURNT OFFERING" but carried out another type of offering, you're just grasping at straws

offering can be anything but when the word "BURNT" is there its being specific

1 Like

Re: Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? by Splinz(m): 4:27pm On Jan 22, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

bros, look for another example, this one fails obviously

it has no harmony, the Hannah example you gave also fails in the sense that Hannah never vowed to sacrifice Samuel as "BURNT OFFERING" look for another example

so far my claims have been straightforward

1 he vowed that whatever comes out to him would be the Lord's and he'll SACRIFICE AS BURNT OFFERING to God

2 He was sad when his only daughter came to him

3 the daughter told him to do to her as he vowed

4 he did to her as he vowed

the story is pretty straightforward and till you show me where someone promised "BURNT OFFERING" but carried out another type of offering, you're just grasping at straws

Same thing bro. Until you prove otherwise, that she was actually slaughtered or burnt to dead, you're not really saying anything.

The question is: why ain't you taking sacrifice of praise which you've translated as "fruit of lips", literally too since burnt offering must be taken as it is
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? by hopefulLandlord: 4:36pm On Jan 22, 2017
Splinz:

Same thing bro. Until you prove otherwise, that she was actually slaughtered or burnt to dead, you're not really saying anything.

The question is: why ain't you taking sacrifice of praise which you've translated as "fruit of lips", literally too

bros, it seems you don't understand this

this interpretation you're giving about Jephthah is the type you give when you and your fellow Christians are gathered, when you try to tell someone outside your faith it becomes an issue

"Fruit of lips" what other fruit can lips give?

its obvious its only "words"

but "BURNT OFFERING" is one way and one way alone, "BURNT OFFERING"

he first said "it shall be the Lords" if he had stopped there your explanation would've been very meaningful, you don't even need to create a thread on this BUT he added "AND I SHALL OFFER IT AS BURNT OFFERING"

that latter part of his vow makes it very specific that he's not promising living sacrifice but a burnt one if it were living he wouldn't have specified it

what you're doing now is attempting to do away with the latter part and to prove this, try an experiment; ignore the latter part and you'll see your explanation hits the spot

1 Like

Re: Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? by Splinz(m): 5:05pm On Jan 22, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

bros, it seems you don't understand this

this interpretation you're giving about Jephthah is the type you give when you and your fellow Christians are gathered, when you try to tell someone outside your faith it becomes an issue

"Fruit of lips" what other fruit can lips give?

its obvious its only "words"

but "BURNT OFFERING" is one way and one way alone, "BURNT OFFERING"

he first said "it shall be the Lords" if he had stopped there your explanation would've been very meaningful, you don't even need to create a thread on this BUT he added "AND I SHALL OFFER IT AS BURNT OFFERING"

that latter part of his vow makes it very specific that he's not promising living sacrifice but a burnt one if it were living he wouldn't have specified it

what you're doing now is attempting to do away with the latter part and to prove this, try an experiment; ignore the latter part and you'll see your explanation hits the spot

Do not try to force your own understanding on me. It is obvious you have yours, and I also have mine.

I find it hypocritical on your part that you could interpret sacrifice of praise another way, but not burnt offering. And I ask you again: how come you know that sacrifice of praise doesn't literally mean "sacrificing praise" but words of the mouth?

It is just like some people will sing: "Holy Ghost fire... fire fall on me...". Are these people saying that fire should consume them literally

All throughout the whole Bible, the only sacrifices offered to God were either animal sacrifices or fruits of humans. Also in the same Bible, God clearly abhorred and condemned in strongest of terms human sacrifices as done by the Amorites and the rest of the people to their gods- Ashtoreth, Molech, etc. So why would He suddenly welcomes a human sacrifice from Jephthah, the very thing He abhorred?

Lets not waste our time. This argument wouldn't lead us anywhere.
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? by hopefulLandlord: 5:14pm On Jan 22, 2017
Splinz:

Do not try to force your own understanding on me. It is obvious you have yours, and I also have mine.

I find it hypocritical on your part that you could interpret sacrifice of praise another way, but not burnt offering. And I ask you again: how come you know that sacrifice of praise doesn't literally mean "sacrificing praise" but words of the mouth?

It is just like some people will sing: "Holy Ghost fire... fire fall on me...". Are these people saying that fire should consume them literally

All throughout the whole Bible, the only sacrifices offered to God were either animal sacrifices or fruits of humans. Also in the same Bible, God clearly abhorred and condemned in strongest of terms human sacrifices as done by the Amorites and the rest of the people to their gods- Ashtoreth, Molech, etc. So why would He suddenly welcomes a human sacrifice from Jephthah, the very thing He abhorred?

Lets not waste our time. This argument wouldn't lead us anywhere.

actually you're the one trying very hard to force your own explanation on me and the readers

All throughout the whole Bible, the only sacrifices offered to God were either animal sacrifices or fruits of humans

actually NO ONE in the entire bible except Jephthah ever vowed to sacrifice someone as a burnt offering to Yahweh either, i challenge you to bring anyone else who did and replaced the sacrifice with something else

the latter part of his vow made it very clear as day that he's talking burnt offering and that's a fact!!!!

he promised that whatever comes out would be Yahweh's, good! but he also added the burnt offering clause to it which makes it totally different from the offering you're trying to force me and other readers to accept

do not try to muddle things up by bringing unrelated bible verses into this discussion, such tricks can work when you're gathered with your fellows but not on Nairaland where everyone can think independently and bring objections and arguments; this is not a church

all you've done so far is try to bully someone into accepting that the latter part of his vow wasn't made

"whatever comes out shall be the Lord's and I shall offer it to you as BURNT offering"

you are not the first to open this kinda thread and you won't be the last

I've been through this twice before so bullying me to accept your tales would be pretty close to impossible, I'm not green behind the ears

the story is straightforward enough, doesn't need any other verse(s) elsewhere in the Bible for it

first was you talking "Bewailing" and you stopped when I showed bewailing has NOTHING to do with it, you also brought Hannah's sacrifice and I also showed she never promised anyone as "Burnt" offering, now you're talking "sacrifice of praise"

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? by Splinz(m): 5:23pm On Jan 22, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

actually you're the one trying very hard to force your own explanation on me and the readers

actually NO ONE in the entire bible except Jephthah ever vowed to sacrifice someone as a burnt offering to Yahweh either, i challenge you to bring anyone else who did and replaced the sacrifice with something else

the latter part of his vow made it very clear as day that he's talking burnt offering and that's a fact!!!!

he promised that whatever comes out would be Yahweh's, good! but he also added the burnt offering clause to it which makes it totally different from the offering you're trying to force me and other readers to accept

do not try to muddle things up by bringing unrelated bible verses into this discussion, such tricks can work when you're gathered with your fellows but not on Nairaland where everyone can think independently and bring objections and arguments; this is not a church

all you've done so far is try to bully someone into accepting that the latter part of his vow wasn't made

"and I shall offer it to you as BURNT offering"

And I refused your own understanding, and you're also free to do same. This is a public forum were views are shared, which is what I've done by creating this thread. You either believe it or leave, I'm not forcing it down anybody throat!

Again, Jephthah simply offered his daughter to the services of God all her life.
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? by hopefulLandlord: 5:32pm On Jan 22, 2017
God clearly abhorred and condemned in strongest of terms human sacrifices as done by the Amorites and the rest of the people to their gods- Ashtoreth, Molech, etc. So why would He suddenly welcomes a human sacrifice from Jephthah, the very thing He abhorred?

oh! I just read the above clearly

god also harboured many things when done by people outside his own chosen people

he killed all Egyptian firstborn sons, hardened Pharaoh's heart so that he can punish the Egyptians more and more, even drowned Egyptian soldiers in the red sea all because he did not like the fact that they were involved in slavery of the Israelites

that same god then quickly gave those he killed for in order to free from slavery instructions on how to keep slaves and even making it permanent while telling them not to take their fellow Israelites as slaves but foreigners are fair game

he also said "Thou Shalt not Kill" but instructed them to carry out genocides, murder etc

he said thou shalt not lie but sent lying spirits to Ahab's prophets

as we can see Yahweh's words are not binding to him because he can decide to break the law he gives anytime he damn likes, so your post above don't hold water

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? by hopefulLandlord: 5:33pm On Jan 22, 2017
Splinz:

And I refused your own understanding, and you're also free to do same. This is a public forum were views are shared, which is what I've done by creating this thread. You either believe it or leave, I'm not forcing it down anybody throat!

Again, Jephthah simply offered his daughter to the services of God all her life.

And I refused your own understanding, and you're also free to do same. This is a public forum were views are shared, which is what I've done by attending to this thread. You either believe it or not, I'm not forcing it down anybody throat!

Again, Jephthah simply offered his daughter to the Lord as BURNT OFFERING
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? by Splinz(m): 5:39pm On Jan 22, 2017
hopefulLandlord:

And I refused your own understanding, and you're also free to do same. This is a public forum were views are shared, which is what I've done by attending to this thread. You either believe it or not, I'm not forcing it down anybody throat!

Again, Jephthah simply offered his daughter to the Lord as BURNT OFFERING

Very petty of you... cheesy. Yeah... as a burnt offering is offered to God, Jephthah offered her daughter to the services of God all her life... cool
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? by frank317: 5:58pm On Jan 22, 2017
It was burnt offering that's why the man was sad. He was going to lose his daugther to death, that's why he felt really bad when he saw her.
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? by Splinz(m): 6:06pm On Jan 22, 2017
frank317:
It was burnt offering that's why the man was sad. He was going to lose his daugther to death, that's why he felt really bad when he saw her.

You mean it wasn't also sad enough that he was going to give up his one and only child to the services of God, without any hope of being a grandfather or preserving his lineage
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? by frank317: 6:11pm On Jan 22, 2017
Splinz:

You mean it wasn't also sad enough that he was going to give up his one and only child to the services of God, without any hope of being a grandfather or preserving his lineage

What are u doing...U have practically given a whole new meaning to burnt offering... Pleas what has burnt got to do with service of God?

Are u trying to say reverend father's or sister who give their life to service of God are giving burnt offering to God?
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? by Splinz(m): 6:18pm On Jan 22, 2017
frank317:

What are u doing...U have practically given a whole new meaning to burnt offering... Pleas what has burnt got to do with service of God?

Are u trying to say reverend father's or sister who give their life to service of God are giving burnt offering to God?

Yes, they are offering sacrifices to God. A good example is sacrifice of praise, which our friend up there translated as "words of mouth".

Burnt offering also mean sacrifice!
Re: Did Jephthah Actually Burnt His Daughter As A Sacrifice To God? by frank317: 6:34pm On Jan 22, 2017
Splinz:

Yes, they are offering sacrifices to God. A good example is sacrifice of praise, which our friend up there translated as "words of mouth".

Burnt offering also mean sacrifice!

See ya life... Who is arguing with u on if burnt offering means sacrifice.... Incase u are lost, we are trying to understand the kind of SACRIFICE. So stop telling me burnt offering means sacrifice, u are not talking to uneducated kids

Are reverend fathers who give their life as service to God also giving Thier lives as burnt offering?

Like I said, u have given a whole new meaning to burnt offering. Tell the holy spirit who interpreted this for u that it has failed.

According to u, when an animal is given to God as burnt offering, it means it's life has been given to God as service to God.

This is shameful.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Live In The Presence Of God Almighty Like The Scriptures Commanded / Expose Into The Real Reasons For Noah's Flood Missing From The Bible / The Dove Symbol - Pure Idolatry Or True Worship?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.