Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,191 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:07 AM

Info-stealing Malware, Xavier Has Infected Almost A Thousand Apps On Playstore - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Info-stealing Malware, Xavier Has Infected Almost A Thousand Apps On Playstore (463 Views)

Chinese Are Selling Tecno Phones With Built-in Malware In Africa / Some Chinese Phones Are Shipping With Money-stealing Malware(tecno) / 5 Signs That Shows Your Android Smartphone Is Infected With Malware (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Info-stealing Malware, Xavier Has Infected Almost A Thousand Apps On Playstore by Reediano(m): 10:35am On Jun 19, 2017
The Google playstore which used to be very secure is now getting porous as programmers/hackers are now deducing means to infiltrate the store with malicious apps without getting detected by the playstore anti malware bots.

In one of my previous posts, I mentioned the Dvmap malware which has managed to infect over 50,000 devices already. Now, Trend Micro security experts just announced in a new report that over 800 apps on the Google playstore are now infected with a new information collecting malware known as Xavier.

According to the report, the malware has been pre-installed on a large number of free Android applications, such as photo editors and wallpapers, and has been downloaded millions of times already.

The Xavier malware started off as an ad library which integrates free apps with pop-up ads as a way of generating revenue. But now it has evolved into a more dangerous malicious software which has the ability to steal sensitive users information which includes email address, device id, model, OS version, country, manufacturer, SIM card operator, resolution, and installed apps.

What makes this malware more dangerous is it's ability to evade detection which will even make it more dangerous for anti-malware app to detect it.
The highest number of infected devices are said to be from South-east Asian countries like Vietnam, Philippines, and Indonesia, with a lower number from the US and Europe.

I will advice you guys to be watchful of the apps you download. Even if you are downloading from playstore, make sure it's from a trusted developer it at least try to read the reviews. For tips on how to protect your android phone against malware, check out this LINK.

http://www.yomitech.com/2017/06/a-new-info-stealing-malware-Xavier-on-Playstore.html
Re: Info-stealing Malware, Xavier Has Infected Almost A Thousand Apps On Playstore by NCP: 12:10pm On Jun 19, 2017
Thanks for this information. I will work with it.

Re: Info-stealing Malware, Xavier Has Infected Almost A Thousand Apps On Playstore by Reediano(m): 2:48am On Jun 20, 2017
NCP:
Thanks for this information. I will work with it.
L cheesy L.....

U welcome

(1) (Reply)

Techno L8 / Dominzy Daily Tech Tricks / Who Else Get This Message From Glo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.