Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,742 members, 7,824,142 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:24 AM

Lekki Flooded After A Heavy Rainfall In Lagos State Today (Photos) - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lekki Flooded After A Heavy Rainfall In Lagos State Today (Photos) (63084 Views)

Okorocha: I Don't Know If Rainfall In Imo Is Acidic, It Has Destroyed All Roads / Senator Akpabio Chooses Broom Over Umbrella During Rainfall In Akwa Ibom. Photos / Victoria Island Garden City Flooded After Hours Of Rainfall In Lagos Today (Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lekki Flooded After A Heavy Rainfall In Lagos State Today (Photos) by laudate: 2:10am On Jun 21, 2017
judgedredd22:
it is not rocket science... well planned drainage system that empties into the nearby ocean in real time is the solution!

You are right. But ocean is too far, nah...the lagoon is just at the backyard of Lekki Phase 1. sad The drainage system can empty its waters in there.
Re: Lekki Flooded After A Heavy Rainfall In Lagos State Today (Photos) by laudate: 2:18am On Jun 21, 2017
0b10010011:
If you familiar with Lekki, the flood will clear in hours. As for the countries you mention, do they have heavy liquefied down pour like that of lagos. No! The channel and canals you mentioned re there. It's just an unavoidable scenario! Its all round bounded by water and you can't just forcefully channel. You have to be patient.

Areas like park view, Banana, Osborne foreshore will continue to be like that cos of human encroachment is a point I was expecting.

Lagos still has a lot of land mass and it keeps concentrating on a spot!
Oga, it will NOT clear in hours. shocked You do not know that section of Lekki. sad That particular spot has a very poor drainage system. It will take another few days to clear. Our rich men and govt keep sand filling the lagoon and all available areas, in order to create high priced pieces of real estate for the nouveau riche.

They have all sandfilled Lekki Phase 1 & Banana Island to the brim, and are still reclaiming more land from the lagoon, in order to increase the size of that area so they can sell more high priced plots, to the public. undecided They have not paid adequate attention to proper drainage channels, culverts, blocked canals etc through which floods can flow out of the district into the lagoon easily, whenever there is a downpour. Anyway, na wetin concern me? Water will always find its level. It is the landlords in that area, that i feel sorry for....

3 Likes

Re: Lekki Flooded After A Heavy Rainfall In Lagos State Today (Photos) by laudate: 2:22am On Jun 21, 2017
Obi1kenobi:
That it clears in few hours is precisely evidence that rather than ecological challenges, it's infrastructural challenges that cause flooding here. The kind of challenges that have sacked communities like New Orleans would wipe Lagos off the map. grin Nigeria is a lucky country. I shudder to think what would happen if this country had tsunamis, earthquakes, hurricanes, tornadoes, cyclones etc. We would have gone extinct by now.

The scenario is not "unavoidable" at all. Build expansive, closed, underground drainage systems that are integrated with municipal water treatment and supply faciities, and adequate channels, canals etc which drain out into the ocean and you'll see a stop to flooding. Keep digging 2-feet deep, open gutters flowing nowhere and blocked by garbage and waste and you'll keep getting floods.

Bros, you are so right! May those who have ears to hear, get to hear, understand & accept your gospel.... sad

1 Like

Re: Lekki Flooded After A Heavy Rainfall In Lagos State Today (Photos) by laudate: 2:27am On Jun 21, 2017
Jakumo:
It is only those who do never bothered to master Olympic swimming techniques that should fear flood waters. Residents of flood-prone areas need only acquire canoes, jet-skis and surf boards that they can conveniently deploy as transport for their work commute, on those days then flood-waters rise to neck-deep levels, and cars have to be parked submerged at home.

Egbon, na your face be dis? shocked Na your keyboard I dey see so, without collecting change? cheesy
Re: Lekki Flooded After A Heavy Rainfall In Lagos State Today (Photos) by laudate: 2:29am On Jun 21, 2017
Obi1kenobi:
There are loads of cities in the world with higher average rainfall than Lagos. Lagos also averages high annual rainfall due to the frequency of rains rather than the intensity. Lagos doesn't experience any intense weather conditions. You don't get cyclones or typhoons, hurricanes etc. Infact, in my time in the North, I've experienced far heavier rainfall than I ever have in Lagos and seen dangerous thunderstorms, flashfloods, hailstones etc which I've never seen in Lagos. These excuses don't hold up.

And Onitsha is not a coastal city. For starters, it is not located on the coast.

Hehehe.... cheesy

1 Like

Re: Lekki Flooded After A Heavy Rainfall In Lagos State Today (Photos) by Nobody: 7:15am On Jun 21, 2017
No drainage system?? Na wa o...
Re: Lekki Flooded After A Heavy Rainfall In Lagos State Today (Photos) by BIA3: 9:28am On Jun 21, 2017
arsenal33:

A thousand likes for you.
Some people do not realise that many people actually prefer living on the mainland.... Easy access, ewa agoin, buka, down to earth peeps etc
LMAO! U sabi amala tins! I know alot if people that are now running away from lekki to the mainland, na dem make me know say lekki get bad water
Re: Lekki Flooded After A Heavy Rainfall In Lagos State Today (Photos) by beautiful232(f): 9:48pm On Jun 21, 2017
Sacluxpaint:

Aunty, u stay close to epe, no dey form abeg.

hahahaha,so funny how some people on nl reason.....what has forming got to do with my comment? Where do you stay bros?
Re: Lekki Flooded After A Heavy Rainfall In Lagos State Today (Photos) by Nobody: 9:54pm On Jun 21, 2017
beautiful232:

hahahaha,so funny how some people on nl reason.....what has forming got to do with my comment? Where do you stay bros?

Pm
Re: Lekki Flooded After A Heavy Rainfall In Lagos State Today (Photos) by beautiful232(f): 10:00pm On Jun 21, 2017
Sacluxpaint:

Pm

I'm staying in epe,and there Is no flood like that in my area..thank you sir..Mr Lekki

Very annoying people on nl
Re: Lekki Flooded After A Heavy Rainfall In Lagos State Today (Photos) by Nobody: 10:15pm On Jun 21, 2017
beautiful232:

I'm staying in epe,and there Is no flood like that in my area..thank you sir..Mr Lekki

Very annoying people on nl

Sent u pm,no vex

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

PDP Mocks Buhari's One-Year In Office With Cartoon Images / Obiageli Mazi: Nigerians To Donate Money To Borno Teacher With Governor Zulum / Intersociety: Nnamdi Kanu Was Arrested In Kenya. His Tribesmen ‘Sold Him Out’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.