Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,685 members, 7,809,590 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:43 AM

South/South Senators Frustrating Handover To Jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / South/South Senators Frustrating Handover To Jonathan (2050 Views)

Former MD NNPC Handover to New MD NNPC,Dr. Ibe Kachuikwu Today / Basketmouth Wants GEJ To Handover To Buhari Now!! / Suleiman Abba Handover To Solomon Arase (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

South/South Senators Frustrating Handover To Jonathan by nduchucks: 2:49pm On Jan 25, 2010
Why would the state governors from the South/South be against handing over the presidency to Jonathan?  I invite comments that can shed some light on this issue.

While Nigerians await the final decision of the Senate over the continued absence of President Umaru Yar’Adua, senators from the North are blaming their colleagues from the South South of frustrating moves to hand over power to Vice President Goodluck Jonathan. The Senate will tomorrow take a decision on how best to tackle the constitutional crisis thrown up by the continued absence of Yar’Adua in the event of none transmission of a letter to the National Assembly. It was learnt, weekend, that some senators who were said to be insisting on compliance with the constitution to hand over to Jonathan accused senators especially from the South South for bowing to pressure from their state governors not to support the handover.

Read the rest of the story here:

http://www.businessdayonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7824:northern-senators-accuse-ssouth-colleagues-of-frustrating-hand-over-to-jonathan&catid=85:national&Itemid=340

Re: South/South Senators Frustrating Handover To Jonathan by Onlytruth(m): 2:09am On Jan 26, 2010
ndu_chuks you don come again. Wetin you want now?  grin  cool
My very special aboki!

Don't believe everything you read in the news.grin
Re: South/South Senators Frustrating Handover To Jonathan by nduchucks: 2:17am On Jan 26, 2010
^^^

How are we sure you people and your ilk are not the ones bribing the south/south senators into working against Jonathan. One can't put anything past you secessionists.

One hopes you are using aboki as a term of endearment here - I recall that when you people say aboki, you really mean Ewu.
Re: South/South Senators Frustrating Handover To Jonathan by Onlytruth(m): 2:20am On Jan 26, 2010
ndu_chucks:

^^^

How are we sure you people and your ilk are not the ones bribing the south/south senators into working against Jonathan. One can't put anything past you secessionists.

One hopes you are using aboki as a term of endearment here - I recall that when you people say aboki, you really mean Ewu.

grin grin grin

No relax I meant the real aboki - friend, enyim, got it?

You think we gain anything by doing that? That's silly and you know it. We prefer Jonathan, but I won't tell you why.
Re: South/South Senators Frustrating Handover To Jonathan by nduchucks: 2:22am On Jan 26, 2010
Onlytruth:

grin grin grin

No relax I meant the real aboki - friend, enyim, got it?

You think we gain anything by doing that? That's silly and you know it. We prefer Jonathan, but I won't tell you why.

biko, enlighten us. Why would you prefer Jonathan to, let's say, Ojukwu or anyone else? No need to be afraid to answer, you are safe, for now.
Re: South/South Senators Frustrating Handover To Jonathan by Onlytruth(m): 2:24am On Jan 26, 2010
ndu_chucks:

biko, enlighten us. Why would you prefer Jonathan to, let's say, Ojukwu or anyone else? No need to be afraid to answer, you are safe, for now.

What if I tell you that we want the constitution to work as written? Would that be asking too much of your folks who are hell bent on keeping power?
Re: South/South Senators Frustrating Handover To Jonathan by nduchucks: 2:26am On Jan 26, 2010
Onlytruth:

What if I tell you that we want the constitution to work as written? Would that be asking too much of your folks who are hell bent on keeping power?

I hope you are not attempting to misinform us again. Pray tell, what constitutional provision has Yar'Adua violated to date?
Re: South/South Senators Frustrating Handover To Jonathan by Onlytruth(m): 2:36am On Jan 26, 2010
What about section 145?
Section 141 provides for a president and a vice which were both sworn into office same day.
In my view, even if the constitution is vague on this issue (which it is not), there is what is called legislative intent of every law. What did the writers of this constitution have in mind when they decided to provide for a president and a vice?
That is really the issue.
Re: South/South Senators Frustrating Handover To Jonathan by mamagee3(f): 2:37am On Jan 26, 2010
Jonathan Goodluck is going to be just like Yaradua
I hope he's not elected as president, he's doing okay as Vice President
Re: South/South Senators Frustrating Handover To Jonathan by Onlytruth(m): 2:39am On Jan 26, 2010
mama-gee:

Jonathan Goodluck is going to be just like Yaradua
I hope he's not elected as president, he's doing okay as Vice President

I hope you are speaking for south south people. These governors may be going rogue. cool
Re: South/South Senators Frustrating Handover To Jonathan by Ibime(m): 2:43am On Jan 26, 2010
paddy_lo:

senators from the North are blaming their colleagues from the South South of frustrating moves to hand over power to Vice President Goodluck Jonathan

hahahaha. . . whats next. . . Northern Senators accuse South-East of frustrating constiution amendment?

We've heard all these divide and rule tactics from the North before. . . it may be true that some SS senators oppose handover to Jonathan, but that is a drop in the ocean compared to the no of Northern senators who oppose handover.

If Im lying, how many seats does South-South hold in the Senate?
Re: South/South Senators Frustrating Handover To Jonathan by nduchucks: 2:43am On Jan 26, 2010
Onlytruth:

What about section 145?
Section 141 provides for a president and a vice which were both sworn into office same day.
In my view, even if the constitution is vague on this issue (which it is not), there is what is called legislative intent of every law. What did the writers of this constitution have in mind when they decided to provide for a president and a vice?
That is really the issue.

What are the specific violations of section 145?  You talk of legislative intent, well, that applies to laws made by the legislative branch. We are talking about the constitution here and not any particular law.

I'm sure you've read section 145, so I await your itemization of Yar'adua's violations.  Most people agree that Yar'Adua should have notified  authorities of his extended absense to make way for an acting President. He is not required by the constitution to do so, is he?

@Ibime,  divide and rule ko, gather and worship ni.  na people like you dey worship Alams the crooked ex gov when he escaped imprisonment in the UK.  shine ya eyes, olodo.

Here's an extract from the article:

According to a source, “What is happening now is a complete mess; tomorrow, we are going to let the whole world know that some senators from the South South are frustrating moves to hand over to Jonathan”. He said “what we learnt is that two governors from the South South are vehemently opposed to Jonathan taking over, in addition to a former governor from the zone who is also against the hand over but we must resolve this tomorrow”.
Re: South/South Senators Frustrating Handover To Jonathan by Onlytruth(m): 3:01am On Jan 26, 2010
^^^
The constitution is still a legal document and its intents are interpreted by the law courts. It is only the "Grand law" but still law nevertheless. It is also a legislative document (which is why the legislature can amend it as they are currently trying to do), never mind that ours was imposed by the military.
Re: South/South Senators Frustrating Handover To Jonathan by Onlytruth(m): 3:12am On Jan 26, 2010
Ibime:

hahahaha. . . whats next. . . Northern Senators accuse South-East of frustrating constiution amendment?

We've heard all these divide and rule tactics from the North before. . . it may be true that some SS senators oppose handover to Jonathan, but that is a drop in the ocean compared to the no of Northern senators who oppose handover.

If Im lying, how many seats does South-South hold in the Senate?

Don't mind ndu_chuks. I like reading his mind occasionally to know what goes on in that thick head of his. grin
He fascinates me with his skills in divide and rule.  cool

The guy is almost a genius. grin
Re: South/South Senators Frustrating Handover To Jonathan by Ibime(m): 3:25am On Jan 26, 2010
ndu_chucks:

@Ibime,  divide and rule ko, gather and worship ni.  na people like you dey worship Alams the crooked ex gov when he escaped imprisonment in the UK.  shine ya eyes, olodo.

Mugu, how many seats does South South hold in the senate as compared to the North?. . . answer correctly and win a prize!  tongue

Im sure you get the point. . . if you dont, lemme spell it out for you. . . if the Northern Senators really want Jonathan to take over, there is nothing SS senators can do about it. . . by sheer weight of numbers, the North can pass (or deny) any resolution they want in the senate. . . they should stop treating the Nigerian people like illiterates. . .
Re: South/South Senators Frustrating Handover To Jonathan by FACE(m): 11:27am On Jan 26, 2010
Ibime:

Mugu, how many seats does South South hold in the senate as compared to the North?. . . answer correctly and win a prize! tongue

Im sure you get the point. . . if you dont, lemme spell it out for you. . . if the Northern Senators really want Jonathan to take over, there is nothing SS senators can do about it. . . by sheer weight of numbers, the North can pass (or deny) any resolution they want in the senate. . . they should stop treating the Nigerian people like illiterates. . .

You would not get a clear answer from him.

Is it possible for 18 people to dictate to 90 others ? If it is possible, how come they are not able to dictate when it comes resource control and other national issues ?

I have noticed that divide and rule is Ndu_Chuks' method of operation and it wont work. He always tries his best to instigate hatred amongst SS & SEners and creating non existent animosity . You gotta call a dog a bad name in order to hang it don't you ?

What have you people really gained from your regional rulers that you give them such unflinching support regardless of whether Nigeria is moving forward or backwards ?

Ndu_Chuks, "yes" or "no", should Jonathan be the president in acting capacity already ?
Re: South/South Senators Frustrating Handover To Jonathan by WilyWily5: 11:42am On Jan 26, 2010
FACE:

I have noticed that divide and rule is Ndu_Chuks' method of operation and it wont work. He always tries his best to instigate hatred amongst SS & SEners and creating non existent animosity . You gotta call a dog a bad name in order to hang it don't you ?
What did you expected from Dirty Stinking Hausa/Fulani, You thought they want to see us live peaceful with Igbos.
Re: South/South Senators Frustrating Handover To Jonathan by Dede1(m): 11:57am On Jan 26, 2010
Any southern Nigerian that has just recently acknowledged the tactics of “divide and rule” by the northern Nigerian political elites is simply a fool. The same ploy has given rise to south-south, south-east and the so-called Niger Delta.
Re: South/South Senators Frustrating Handover To Jonathan by nduchucks: 1:03pm On Jan 26, 2010
Ibime:

Mugu, how many seats does South South hold in the senate as compared to the North?. . . answer correctly and win a prize!  tongue

FACE:

You would not get a clear answer from him.

Is it possible for 18 people to dictate to 90 others ? If it is possible, how come they are not able to dictate when it comes resource control and other national issues ?

I have been wasting my time trying to have a reasonable discussion with you people. Your statements above makes one think that you are simpletons and ignoramuses.   Let me inform you that there are house/senate rules that must be followed and several motions voted upon before an issue is finally brought to the full senate for debate and voting.  Specifically, there are committees that must first agree to table issues for discussions in the commitees befores the issues can ever be tabled on the full floor for debate. If you don't know that a handful of senators can stall procedings, then you people are not very bright.

Here is your homework: go and find out which south/south senators belong to the commitees responsible for initiating the actions that could make Jonathan the acting president. Once you have that answer, things will be clearer to you. It is not enough to wish your points away, you need to know the facts.

FACE:

Divide and rule is the new keyword that you people are using to support your denials, ko? Continue to bury your heads in the sand, until kudunkudu(or guluso - that ant-like creature that walks backwards that lives in the sand) gouges your eyes out. I noticed that people like Dede1 have come to offer you moral support on the one hand, while  calling you people idiots and fools on the other.  lipsrsealed Serves you right.

Your dear governor Diepreye Alamieyeseigha is currently praying that the court compel the Federal Government and the National Assembly to reinstate him as the governor of the state. I suppose pointing out that that man is a thief that belongs in jail will be tantamount to using a divide and rule tactic on you. Dan tselewa!

@Wily+Wily, what will be the location of you suicide when your favourite daughter elopes and marries a hausa-fulani man?
Re: South/South Senators Frustrating Handover To Jonathan by nduchucks: 1:17pm On Jan 26, 2010
FACE:

Ndu_Chuks, "yes" or "no", should Jonathan be the president in acting capacity already ?

What a dumb question! You don't get to become the acting president simply because people think you should. You get to become the acting president based on what the constitution says - it is not surprising that lawless people like you and other criminal organizations like MEND do not believe in the rule of law.

Most people would rather that we had an acting president than one that is in absentia - unfortunately wishes cannot make this happen.
Re: South/South Senators Frustrating Handover To Jonathan by Nobody: 2:51pm On Jan 26, 2010
foolish mumu, shehu, aboki, your time is coming, enjoy as much as you can now, your time is coming, infact  it has already started, you are not deaf you heard what happened in jos!
Re: South/South Senators Frustrating Handover To Jonathan by nduchucks: 4:01pm On Jan 26, 2010
df2006:

foolish mumu, shehu, aboki, your time is coming, enjoy as much as you can now, your time is coming, infact  it has already started, you are not deaf you heard what happened in jos!

df2006, please crawl back into the hole from which you were just expunged.  Learn how to express yourself before making entries like a dimwit on NL. olodo. What does the happenings in Jos have to do with the topic of this thread?

By the way, who the heck is Shehu? Has the character named Onlytruth succeeded in confusing your gullible mind?
Re: South/South Senators Frustrating Handover To Jonathan by Nobody: 10:06pm On Jan 26, 2010
Nduchuks don't tell me you don't know that Yar'adua has been violating section 145 of the constitution in the last 60 days.

It requires him to write a letter to the National Assembly if he is going on vacation of any kind or for any reason can't do his job. In a serious country with a truly effective Senate if he does not do that they will not be begging him in the media to do it. They will immediately start a process to impeach the President for gross misconduct based of section 143 for refusing to adhere to section 145.

The President is the Chief custodian of the law, he swore an oath to protect the constitution at all times. So open violations of certain sections of the constitution is gross misconduct. This is even the worst kind of gross misconduct because he has left the country vulnerable for 60days by creating a power vacuum.

for you information see provisions of section 145 and 143 below.

145. Whenever the President transmits to the President of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives a written declaration that he is proceeding on vacation or that he is otherwise unable to discharge the functions of his office, until he transmits to them a written declaration to the contrary such functions shall be discharged by the Vice-President as Acting President.

143. (1) The President or Vice-President may be removed from office in accordance with the provisions of this section.

(2) Whenever a notice of any allegation in writing signed by not less than one-third of the members of the National Assembly:-

(a) is presented to the President of the Senate;

(b) stating that the holder of the office of President or Vice-President is guilty of gross misconduct in the performance of the functions of his office, detailed particulars of which shall be specified,

the President of the Senate shall within seven days of the receipt of the notice cause a copy thereof to be served on the holder of the office and on each member of the National Assembly, and shall also cause any statement made in reply to the allegation by the holder of the office to be served on each member of the National Assembly.

Re: South/South Senators Frustrating Handover To Jonathan by Nobody: 10:13pm On Jan 26, 2010
So if the President has refused to obey section 145 by informing the Senate that he is on vacation, then the suggestion simply will be that he President Yar'adua is still in charge.
If he President Yar'adua is still in charge he should tell us whether he has been recieving Nigeria's National Security Briefing on a sick bed in a Foreign land.

If that is what he is saying, then that also amounts to gross misconduct because he will be putting country at risk by choosing to do that.

So lets not confuse lack of leadeship in the NASS with vagueness of the constitution. The constitution is rich enough to deal with the current situation it's just that men have allowed themselves to be compromised because of selfishness.
Re: South/South Senators Frustrating Handover To Jonathan by udezue(m): 10:19pm On Jan 26, 2010
Pure nonsense.

Only a fool will believe that SS senators alone have the might to stop Jonathan from getting sworn in. If they had such power in the Senate Ressource control and many laws favoring the us would have been in passed with or without the North.
Re: South/South Senators Frustrating Handover To Jonathan by nduchucks: 10:40pm On Jan 26, 2010
mikeansy:

Nduchuks don't tell me you don't know that Yar'adua has been violating section 145 of the constitution in the last 60 days.

It requires him to write a letter to the National Assembly if he is going on vacation of any kind or for any reason can't do his job. In a serious country with a truly effective Senate if he does not do that they will not be begging him in the media to do it. They will immediately start a process to impeach the President for gross misconduct based of section 143 for refusing to adhere to section 145.

mikeansy, your attempt at informing us that Yar'Adua has violated section 145 is frankly juvenile and elementary. Please re-read the same section 145 you quoted, and note that the statement "Whenever the President transmits to the President of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives that he is proceeding on vacation or e.t.c" is not the same as "The President must transmit or the President is required to transmit to e.t.c"

Please don't waste your time on this non issue. The senate may find other reasons to impeach Yar'Adua, but the reasons will not include violation of section 145 of the constitution.

Your conclusions are simply dead wrong. olodo.
Re: South/South Senators Frustrating Handover To Jonathan by nduchucks: 10:42pm On Jan 26, 2010
udezue:

Pure nonsense.

Only a fool will believe that SS senators alone have the might to stop Jonathan from getting sworn in. If they had such power in the Senate Ressource control and many laws favoring the us would have been in passed with or without the North.

Your statement is very naive. You have no idea what egunge from south/south governors in collusion with south/south senators and others can do.
Re: South/South Senators Frustrating Handover To Jonathan by udezue(m): 10:48pm On Jan 26, 2010
Abeg shuut up

Let them vote and lets see if minority vote against Goodluck can defeat the will of the majority. Stupid.
U act like the North is willing to let Jonathan take over. What happened to the retarded rotational presidency?
Re: South/South Senators Frustrating Handover To Jonathan by nduchucks: 10:52pm On Jan 26, 2010
udezue:

Let them vote and lets see if minority vote against Goodluck can defeat the will of the majority. silly.
U act like the North is willing to let Jonathan take over. What happened to the retarded rotational presidency?

Let them vote to do what? We don't even have an impeachment proceeding in progress. Do you think that we have a parliamentary system of government in Nigeria or are you simply ignorant?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

It’s Shameful That People Rally Against Subsidy And Not Boko Haram -Oritsejafor / Enahoro Speaking On Biafra And Making Perfect Sense. / Mark My Words - Military Goverment Would Take Over .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.