Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,028 members, 7,866,886 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 07:31 AM

Your God Is Too Small - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Your God Is Too Small (695 Views)

Funke Adejumo's UK Ban: Daddy Freeze, Adelaja & Mayowa Are Too Small To Ban Rev. / How Great Is Your God? / "T.B Joshua Is Too Small" - Apostle Johnson Suleman (Throwback Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Your God Is Too Small by UncleSnr(m): 10:53am On Jun 21, 2017
People often refer to the Christian God as the creator of the universe. Most of the time, I do a mental face-palm whenever I hear this and get on with my day. But every once in a while, I laugh. I laugh quite hard actually, if my mood is good enough at that particular moment in time. The idea of Yahweh being the creator of something as vast and as complex as our universe is so ridiculous, so obviously stupid, so blatantly wrong that it's laughable. And don’t call me Shirley.

Why, though? Why is the idea laughable? Billions of people believe it, so why not? It seems only rational if you're one of those people. After all, all those people can't be wrong, can they?

A Lesson in Astronomy

To understand why it's laughable, it's good to have an understanding of what the universe is. Most of what makes up the observable, material universe is matter—or atoms. Each atom has a certain number of protons, neutrons, and electrons, and the number of each determines what kind of element an atom is and how it behaves. The vast majority of the universe consists of the smallest atoms, hydrogen and helium. These elements also make up the vast majority of a star's composition for the majority of it's life, fusing hydrogen atoms in helium atoms. Our sun is a low mass star, which means that in about 6-7 billion years, it will grow into a red giant before collapsing into a white dwarf.

Stars tend to be found in large groups, such as star clusters or galaxies. Our sun is located towards the edge of one of the spiral arms in the Milky Way galaxy. The Milky Way itself is approximately 100,000 light-years across, and contains about 200 billion stars. The current estimates suggest there are about 170 billion galaxies in the observable universe. That means that there could be as many as 10^24 stars in the universe, or 1 with 25 zeros behind it. The universe itself is thought to be as large as 150 million light-years across, according to current estimates. That’s approximately 9*10^20 miles, or 9 with 20 zeros behind it. Even riding on the fastest man-made object, it would take us about 5 and a half quadrillion years to go from one side to the other.

All-Powerful Daddy

Now why is this relevant, you ask? “Of course, my god could have made all that, he's all-powerful!” Well, you can say that and anything else about your god that you so desire. But let's look at what your holy book says, shall we? After all, it is what you base your faith on, yes?

There are multiple passages in the Bible that talk about the stars and the sky. An example would be Genesis 1:14-18:

And God said, “Let there be lights in the expanse of the heavens to separate the day from the night. And let them be for signs and for seasons, and for days and years, and let them be lights in the expanse of the heavens to give light upon the earth.” And it was so. And God made the two great lights; the greater light to rule the day and the lesser light to rule the night; and the stars. And God set them in the expanse of the heavens to give light on the earth, to rule over the day and over the night, and to separate the light from the darkness. And God saw that it was good."

For most Christians, this passage, along with every other passage about stars the Bible, demonstrates that God created the stars and knew everything there is to know about them. But look at the passage again. All it says is that God created the stars, the moon and the sun, and was proud of his work. Why does it not say how the stars were made? Why are the words stellar nucleosynthesis or hydrogen or helium never mentioned in a thousand pages of scripture? It also says the stars, and the sun. Why doesn't it ever make the connection that the sun is a star, just like all the others in the sky? It's quite simple when one thinks about it. So simple that it escapes most religious people when asked about it.

They. Didn't. Know.

How could they? They had no access to telescopes or the math necessary to calculate the motions of our solar system. Algebra wouldn't even emerge until around 2000 BC, a good 2000 years or more after the events in Genesis, (depending on which YEC you ask) and even then it was not understood by all but a few people.

But why? Why would an all-powerful, all-loving creator of the universe keep that information from his followers? Surely, such a loving god would want his children to learn about the universe in which they were born so they could have better lives through understanding it. Surely, a god as loving as the God of the Bible would leave a detailed, accurate account of the universe and how it works for future generations to read and learn from, and prosper as a result. Surely, a loving god would help us grow to be more than what we are and not keep us docile and grounded.

Instead, we’re left with a book that was formed by multiple authors who chose to write about such things as working on certain days and wearing different clothes. These concerns were canonized by a small group of people who decided that they were important enough to make the best-selling book of all time a steaming pile of bullshit for other ‘leaders’ to profit from and use to convince people to do their bidding.

What If?

I do sometimes wonder if there is a consciousness guiding the laws of the universe, using people of faith to suit its whim. After all, the second law of thermodynamics states that order and structure tends to decay into chaos and disorder, given enough time. At some point, billions of years from now, our universe will die a slow but certain heat death. There will be no more galaxies, no stars, no planets, no us. Atoms will crumble into electrons and neutrons and protons, and eventually those will collapse into quarks.

And yet, everything I have seen so far seems to defy that rule. Our sun is still burning, converting hydrogen and helium atoms into heavier elements and electromagnetic radiation. That radiation continues to fuel our planet and its ecosystem, and consequently us. Our population continues to grow and learn and discover things about the universe that we didn’t know previously, as well as things about ourselves. We learned that going back to the beginnings of life on our little mote of dust, our ancestors were nothing more than single-cell organisms. Before that, we were dust amongst the stars, and before that, we, along with the rest of the universe, were a blinding explosion of light.

With the sheer number of stars and planets in our galaxy alone, statistics and probability tell us that life likely exists elsewhere in the universe. Perhaps such life exists in our galaxy, if we’re lucky. Unfortunately, I will never know, if the current rate of technological advancement is anything to go by, for I won’t be around when the first ships capable of traveling faster than light are being built. (And they will be built. We are just now discovering that faster-than-light could be possible after all.)

But if life does exist elsewhere, is it possible that whatever civilization there might be could be contemplating some, if not many, of the same questions we are asking as well? And if that’s true, what conclusions have they come to so far? Have they looked to the stars and wondered what else is out there? Or have they buried their heads in the ground in fear of the wrath of a god, like so many of us have before?

It's not the Answer that drives us. It's the Question.

The truth is, that if life does exist elsewhere, then my previous question needs to be changed. The question isn’t if a consciousness is dictating the universe. The question is, are we part of that consciousness? Are we a part of something so vast, so powerful, so beautiful that we simply aren’t capable of understanding yet? It’s one of the few plausible answers to that highly abused, misspoken question about the beginning of the universe and whether the universe has a creator. After all, we aren’t in the universe, we are the universe. Those same elements that I spoke of earlier aren’t some alien substance under a microscope. They’re not just in your body, they are your body, your heart, your brain. We are the product of billions of years of energy, repetition, and variation, guided by the natural laws of this place we call the universe. And we, along with any other sentient life out there, are the only shot at the universe having any kind of intelligence at all.

If, for whatever cruel twist of fate, the God of the Bible exists, I want no part of him. I, along with what I hope is the vast majority of humanity, am better than him. I know more than he ever taught. I see beyond horizons that he could never reach. I love more genuinely than He. I help more than He. I understand myself better than He ever could. I see planets, stars, solar systems, galaxies just on the edge of humanity’s perception. I can even sometimes catch a small glimpse of our universe, and all the wonder and beauty it holds.

Your god is too small for me.

-Inspired by Phillhelenes

http://www.atheistrepublic.com/blog/tom-hanak/your-god-too-small

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Your God Is Too Small by hopefulLandlord: 11:05am On Jun 21, 2017
interesting read
Re: Your God Is Too Small by Realist1(m): 2:27am On Jun 22, 2017
Good stuff,exactly what I tell my cousin. I tell him the God of the bible can't create the universe I know .The universe is bigger than any God to create . More so the universe is too dangerous and unsafe for an omnipotent,omniscient and perfect God to create something like that.

They praise him for a universe so perfect he made for us, whereas everything in the universe is going to be destroyed eventually.EVERYTHING IN THE UNIVERSE AND ON EARTH IS TRYING TO KILL US ! Is it the harmful sun rays, Asteroid/meteors that bombard earth and fly by earth every now and then,the fluctuating extreme temperature of space that astronauts face,the explosions of nearby stars including our sun that wipes out anything around them(Gamma ray burst) which our planet might face one day, collision of galaxies,rogue neutron stars that are just flying through space destroying everything on it's path,black holes sucking in everything around them.

Even on earth, Tornadoes, earthquake,volcanic eruptions,landslides,Tsunami,Lightning,diseases,even the humans kill themselves through terrorism,assassination e.t.c Most importantly even our body system fail also,Kidney failure,heart failure, etc. Sometimes our own previously normal body cells turn against us ,cancer. Unless perfection has a new meaning would I believe this is perfect
Re: Your God Is Too Small by NoWorries7(m): 3:35am On Jun 22, 2017
You know nothing...

1 Like

Re: Your God Is Too Small by hopefulLandlord: 4:05am On Jun 22, 2017
NoWorries7:
You know nothing...
he's UncleSnr not Jon Snow

1 Like

Re: Your God Is Too Small by IKC10(m): 6:02am On Jun 22, 2017
Realist1:
Good stuff,exactly what I tell my cousin. I tell him the God of the bible can't create the universe I know .The universe is bigger than any God to create . More so the universe is too dangerous and unsafe for an omnipotent,omniscient and perfect God to create something like that.

They praise him for a universe so perfect he made for us, whereas everything in the universe is going to be destroyed eventually. Everything in the universe and on earth is trying to kill us. Is it the harmful sun rays, meteors that bombard earth and fly by earth every now and then,the fluctuating extreme temperature of space that astronauts face,the explosions of nearby stars including our sun that wipe out anything around them(Gamma ray burst) which our planet might face one day, collision of galaxies,rogue neutron stars that are just flying through space destroying everything on it's path,black holes sucking in everything around them.

Even on earth, Tornadoes, earthquake,volcanic eruptions,landslides,Tsunami,Lightning,diseases,even the humans kill themselves through terrorism,assassination e.t.c Most importantly even our body system fail also,Kidney failure,heart failure, etc. Sometimes our own previously normal body cells turn against us ,cancer. Unless perfection has a new meaning would I believe this is perfect
Why talk like this, friend? Did you just come to be? What is your theory of creation? Let me know
Re: Your God Is Too Small by luvmijeje(f): 7:59am On Jun 22, 2017
Oh No! Another lacram lapour.
Re: Your God Is Too Small by Nobody: 8:29am On Jun 22, 2017
Unfortunately, you will never know
Re: Your God Is Too Small by IKC10(m): 8:38am On Jun 22, 2017
Frederick7:
Were you referring to me, sir?
Re: Your God Is Too Small by Realist1(m): 10:12am On Jun 22, 2017
IKC10:
Why talk like this, friend? Did you just come to be? What is your theory of creation? Let me know

We are still trying to know and understand how we came to be,atleast that is honest enough.Believing stories hook line and sinker of what some uneducated and probably hallucinating men cooked up centuries ago is no longer holding up. Man got this far by proper reasoning and always finding out why are things what they are.

Finally in terms of creation I go with science's Big bang theory their explanation is logical enough atleast.Science so far has made my life better and kept me alive or else na common malaria for kill me. Do you know diseases was once believed to be caused by evil spirits? However we now know diseases are caused by micro-organisms.Thanks to to a common inquisitive man,a Dutch cloth material seller,Antony van Leeuwenhoek who in 1674 discovered the microbial world, I for still dey bind Malaria now although some people still do.He was the first man that discovered microbes with just a simple magnifying lens.
Freeing the mind from mental slavery is really a difficult thing it's even more difficult if one wasn't a science student.It becomes more difficult to visualise scientific explanation and arguments but if you open your mind to proper reasoning it's not hard to pick holes in an argument
Re: Your God Is Too Small by IKC10(m): 10:42am On Jun 22, 2017
Realist1:

We are still trying to know and understand how we came to be,atleast that is honest enough.Believing stories hook line and sinker of what some uneducated and probably hallucinating men cooked up centuries ago is no longer holding up. Man got this far by proper reasoning and always finding out why are things what they are.

Finally in terms of creation I go with science's Big bang theory their explanation is logical enough.Science so far has made my life better and kept me alive or else na common malaria for kill me. Do you know diseases was once believed to be caused by evil spirits?

Dear Realist1, there is no assuming anything that Jesus Christ is the creator of the universe. The bible holds it very clearly, and there is not even an iota of assumption anywhere in it. I am putting up a post soon that will clear the confusion off every atheist. If you go with The Big Bang Theory thing, then you can be sure you are following the most illogical thing in the world. I am happy that you are science-inclined, fine, but do yourself the favour of making a research work of the organization of the things that exist today and tell me how that came to be by just a big bang. How did the big bang create the marks on your palm, which is definitely different from mine and anyone else's? Huh? Tell me? Please, you are educated, I wouldn't want you to think like one who isn't. The "Big Bang Theory" is seriously misleading!
Re: Your God Is Too Small by Realist1(m): 10:59am On Jun 22, 2017
IKC10:

Dear Realist1, there is no assuming anything that Jesus Christ is the creator of the universe. The bible holds it very clearly, and there is not even an iota of assumption anywhere in it. I am putting up a post soon that will clear the confusion off every atheist. If you go with The Big Bang Theory thing, then you can be sure you are following the most illogical thing in the world. I am happy that you are science-inclined, fine, but do yourself the favour of making a research work of the organization of the things that exist today and tell me how that came to be by just a big bang. How did the big bang create the marks on your palm, which is definitely different from mine and anyone else's? Huh? Tell me? Please, you are educated, I wouldn't want you to think like one who isn't. The "Big Bang Theory" is seriously misleading!

My friend I know we are not going to be able convince or win each other to each other's side.All I can say is I have been a christian all my life shutting down my reasoning all these years but I couldn't anymore when the errors became too much. I can do without and live fine without Christianity ,but my life will be a living hell without science and what it brings. Heck check what we use to communicate now Smart phone and internet, great thinking.Do have a nice day .
Re: Your God Is Too Small by IKC10(m): 11:06am On Jun 22, 2017
Realist1:

My friend I know we are not going to be able convince or win each other to each other's side.All I can say is I have been a christian all my life shutting down my reasoning all these years but I couldn't anymore when the errors became too much. I can do without and live fine without Christianity ,but my life will be a living hell without science and what it brings. Heck check what we use to communicate now Smart phone and internet, great thinking.Do have a nice day .
Whatever science has created will be shelved someday because it is not everlasting. There is a hereafter The Question is, how and where are you going to spend it? Are you gonna do that in and with science? Science isn't everlasting, anyway. I am not preaching anything order than that Jesus Christ loves you! Have a good day, too. And await my upcoming post!
Re: Your God Is Too Small by Robynwelo1(f): 12:03pm On Jun 22, 2017
IKC10:

This is where the Christian bullshit lies- the bible!
Destroy the bible, destroy Christianity. You can't think outside the tales of fictitious Jewish book.

If a book or epistle asking you to cut off your left pinky in order to be redeemed. was added to that fictional book, you sure would do it.

Just take a look at the old testament; Noah's ark, pillar of salt, tower of babel, dividing red sea, talking snakes, burnt offerings, Elijah and whirlwind. Does any of that make sense to you? If the old testament is wrong, the new testament is even wronger! Tell yourself the truth.

If God in the bible truly loved all his creations, he wouldn't support killings and wars. Remember he is the same today, tomorrow and forever. If he loved us, he would show himself to everyone and end the confusion happening in this world today. If he loved us, he wouldn't let the devil roam around the earth to devour his children. If he truly loved us, his children would not spend an eternity in hell despite their little or many wrong doings. Think about it!

Is he any different from allah? If no, why do you still believe in him?
Re: Your God Is Too Small by OtemAtum: 8:25pm On Jun 22, 2017
The energy released through the big bang is responsible for the creation of the universe. Atum, Vishnu, Yahweh, Allah, Mazda, Olorun, Eshu, Nzame and millions of their brothers and sisters were the first sets of beings created by this GREAT ENERGY which we can call the ALMIGHTY God.
A part of this great energy is what they themselves saw in their own image for a period of time. Then they didn't see it anymore because the energy has changed from what is visible to what is invisible to empower and energize all things including human beings.

So I have the ENERGY called GOD in me, so do you and everybody else in the world. And so is everything, such that God the HIGHEST ENERGY has become us. Then it is useless to overlook ourself and start looking into the sky for God.
God is not in the sky, but he is in US all. Yahweh and all the other gods and goddesses combined together don't amount to 0.0000000000000000000000000000001% of the energy of GOD ALMIGHTY their creator.
Re: Your God Is Too Small by OtemAtum: 8:33pm On Jun 22, 2017
IKC10:
Whatever science has created will be shelved someday because it is not everlasting. There is a hereafter The Question is, how and where are you going to spend it? Are you gonna do that in and with science? Science isn't everlasting, anyway. I am not preaching anything order than that Jesus Christ loves you! Have a good day, too. And await my upcoming post!
One thing human beings don't know is that the truth about nature and God are not found through religious books. One thing connects us to the truth about nature and that is the CRITICAL USE OF THE BRAIN. Scientist used their brains critically and within 100 years, they changed the world with mouthwatering inventions, something which religion could not achieve for more than 6000years.

Now when a scientist observes something and says it, pls take it serious because his observation contains ten times more than the truth of any religous book. Why? Because the scientist actually spoke by observation, using the brain.

THE BIG BANG THEORY didn't just come about as a guesswork, but as a very thorough observation from using the brain. So it should be taken very serious because it is the theory closest to the actual manner God the Highest Consciousness expanded the universe.

Yahweh, Allah, Mazda etc are just some creatures from this great energy called God, just as you and I are.

WE ARE ONE WITH GOD.

(1) (Reply)

Why many Christians struggle in life / About 49 Days Remaining For South Korean Churches To Start Paying Taxes!!! / The Evil Called Ponography

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.