Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,223 members, 7,818,764 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:10 AM

He Wants To Sue Uber Nigeria For Damages Worth 300 Million Naira - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / He Wants To Sue Uber Nigeria For Damages Worth 300 Million Naira (1189 Views)

Man Calls Out Bolt (Taxify) For 'Stealing' From Him, Threatens To Sue / Lady To Sue Four Points Lagos Hotel For Refusing Her To Lodge Without A Man / He Wants To Sue Uber Nigeria For Damages Worth 300 Million Naira (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

He Wants To Sue Uber Nigeria For Damages Worth 300 Million Naira by CanadianNurse: 3:09pm On Jun 21, 2017
I have a friend who recently booked a trip from Victoria Island Lagos to Lekki, For Those of us in lagos we all know how "far" these two places are between each other. When he was booking the ride uber estimated 4,000 and at the end of the trip he was charged 18,256 which he paid and later reported the trip through the uber app.

Uber reviewed the trip and saw that they had made a mistake calculating the cost of the trip, the cost is meant to be 5,000 naira and agreed to refund 13,256 naira, However they made a refund of 13,256 in uber credits which can only be used when next he enters uber ride but my friend wants his money in cash because he paid for the trip in cash and also he uses uber only on emergency situations which might not be anytime soon.

He plans on suing them for damages and extortion to the tune of 300 million naira, any advice would be welcomed

Cc: @mydn44 @lalasticlala @seaun @justwise @dominique fp please

1 Like

Re: He Wants To Sue Uber Nigeria For Damages Worth 300 Million Naira by CanadianNurse: 3:12pm On Jun 21, 2017
@Hollawayn05 this is the thread I don't know how it was duplicated!
Re: He Wants To Sue Uber Nigeria For Damages Worth 300 Million Naira by Hollawayn05(m): 3:35pm On Jun 21, 2017
DIS IS BAD..
THEY NEED BE SUED..
100% IN SUPPORT
Re: He Wants To Sue Uber Nigeria For Damages Worth 300 Million Naira by CanadianNurse: 3:44pm On Jun 21, 2017
Hollawayn05:
DIS IS BAD..
THEY NEED BE SUED..
100% IN SUPPORT
mention some people who can give adequate advice and also tips on steps to follow

Thanks
Re: He Wants To Sue Uber Nigeria For Damages Worth 300 Million Naira by CanadianNurse: 3:45pm On Jun 21, 2017
@mcobex
@smartlawyer legal advice is needed
Re: He Wants To Sue Uber Nigeria For Damages Worth 300 Million Naira by Hollawayn05(m): 4:09pm On Jun 21, 2017
CanadianNurse:
mention some people who can give adequate advice and also tips on steps to follow

Thanks

just go get human right activist to do the job
Re: He Wants To Sue Uber Nigeria For Damages Worth 300 Million Naira by CanadianNurse: 4:10pm On Jun 21, 2017
Hollawayn05:

just go get human right activist to do the job
do you know anyone please?
Re: He Wants To Sue Uber Nigeria For Damages Worth 300 Million Naira by Smartlawyer: 4:21pm On Jun 21, 2017
Interesting story! I believe your friend has a case, so he has to brief a lawyer.

Now this is my pro bono advise - First, you have to find out if Uber has a registered office in Nigeria. If it does, then let your lawyer write a formal complaint and demand that the balance be paid back into your friend's account plus damages for the loss suffered due to withholding of the funds. Give them days within which to respond and proceed to file an action once the time lapses without any positive response.

The foregoing said, please confirm from your friend that while filing the Uber application form or downloading the App, he has not agreed to terms and conditions which mostly exempt this type of liabilities.

My pro bono advise ends here...lol

6 Likes

Re: He Wants To Sue Uber Nigeria For Damages Worth 300 Million Naira by CanadianNurse: 4:32pm On Jun 21, 2017
Smartlawyer:

Interesting story! I believe your friend has a case, so he has to brief a lawyer.

Now this is my pro bono advise - First, you have to find out if Uber has a registered office in Nigeria. If it does, then let your lawyer write a formal complaint and demand that the balance be paid back into your friend's account plus damages for the loss suffered due to withholding of the funds. Give them days within which to respond and proceed to file an action once the time lapses without any positive response.

The foregoing said, please confirm from your friend that while filing the Uber application form or downloading the App, he has not agreed to terms and conditions which mostly exempt this type of liabilities.

My pro bono advise ends here...lol

Thanks
Re: He Wants To Sue Uber Nigeria For Damages Worth 300 Million Naira by Nobody: 5:11pm On Jun 21, 2017
I'm not a lawyer but that screenshot unless edited for privacy reasons is not enough to take Uber on you need the drivers name and the model plus the license plate. The time you departed, The time you arrived you paying cash is skeptical because uber does stress its best to pay online particularly to protect you from opportunistic drivers. They made the effort to return the credit as that is their policy.
Re: He Wants To Sue Uber Nigeria For Damages Worth 300 Million Naira by Nobody: 5:13pm On Jun 21, 2017
From what I know it is very common or Uber to pay you back in credits but if your friend pressures Uber they can take back the credits and return the funds in cash. Had similar experiences with Uber before but not in Nigeria sha so they might use nigerian agidi for your friend.
Re: He Wants To Sue Uber Nigeria For Damages Worth 300 Million Naira by CanadianNurse: 5:23pm On Jun 21, 2017
solasoulmusic:
I'm not a lawyer but that screenshot unless edited for privacy reasons is not enough to take Uber on you need the drivers name and the model plus the license plate. The time you departed, The time you arrived you paying cash is skeptical because uber does stress its best to pay online particularly to protect you from opportunistic drivers. They made the effort to return the credit as that is their policy.

that screen shot above is the receipt from the trip (it includes all those details u mentioned but for obvious reasons I can't post that here)
The second pic is the price I was supposed to pay as against the previous price which I was billed by uber and not the driver!

The have accepted it's a mistake on their part and refunded in uber credits, I can't pay for their mistake neither can they tell me what to do with my money

If it was cancellation fee then their policy can hold because I cancelled my trip and the price is fixed! But this situation is their mistake and the price could be any amount it could have been 100k as they claim it's GPS problem

So madam I'm not bounded by their policy in this case, imagine me ordering something from Amazon and paying with my card then Amazon debits me 20k extra and tell me they can't credit me back have to use it when shopping on Amazon!

InfactInI refuse to accept it's a mistake until proven otherwise! I take it as a deliberate act to rip me off until they can prove it's a mistake by doing the right thing
Re: He Wants To Sue Uber Nigeria For Damages Worth 300 Million Naira by CanadianNurse: 5:30pm On Jun 21, 2017
LightandDarkness:
From what I know it is very common or Uber to pay you back in credits but if your friend pressures Uber they can take back the credits and return the funds in cash. Had similar experiences with Uber before but not in Nigeria sha so they might use nigerian agidi for your friend.
it's pure and straightforward if we use our natural sense of justice... So if it was 500k they mistakenly overcharged me.... I will now use uber worth of 500k when I have my own car and use uber just during emergency? What about other purposes for the money nko

My brother naija agidi no dey this one ooo cos I get am pass them... We go see the end of this matter
Re: He Wants To Sue Uber Nigeria For Damages Worth 300 Million Naira by Nobody: 5:36pm On Jun 21, 2017
CanadianNurse:

that screen shot above is the receipt from the trip (it includes all those details u mentioned but for obvious reasons I can't post that here)
The second pic is the price I was supposed to pay as against the previous price which I was billed by uber and not the driver!

The have accepted it's a mistake on their part and refunded in uber credits, I can't pay for their mistake neither can they tell me what to do with my money

If it was cancellation fee then their policy can hold because I cancelled my trip and the price is fixed! But this situation is their mistake and the price could be any amount it could have been 100k as they claim it's GPS problem

So madam I'm not bounded by their policy in this case, imagine me ordering something from Amazon and paying with my card then Amazon debits me 20k extra and tell me they can't credit me back have to use it when shopping on Amazon!

InfactInI refuse to accept it's a mistake until proven otherwise! I take it as a deliberate act to rip me off until they can prove it's a mistake by doing the right thing

I understand but don't they charge per mile or something like that what they gave is an estimate of the trip and not the final cost what I'm looking for is like the logo of Uber or even the app I would have screenshot that as well to buttress the point and then hide the private details like the name since they've admitted they made a mistake it's fine Next time use a card because you can do a charge back yourself with the card company with proof of communication and their ignorance of it
Re: He Wants To Sue Uber Nigeria For Damages Worth 300 Million Naira by CanadianNurse: 7:01pm On Jun 21, 2017
Your argument/excuse do not hold water because of the following points

UUber debits cards when the driver ends your trip, so even if I paid using card I would have still been overcharged

As long as cash payment is an option, I have a right to choose which is convenient for me, what if I tell you I don't use cards? The same consumer protection law that covers someone using card covers me too if not they should remove the option of paying with cash in their app

A flight from abuja to lagos is 25k-30k so how do you justify going from vi to lekki for 18k even the uber staff I met called it "ridiculously outrageous"

So there is no way to justify this please
Re: He Wants To Sue Uber Nigeria For Damages Worth 300 Million Naira by CanadianNurse: 7:01pm On Jun 21, 2017

UUber debits cards when the driver ends your trip, so even if I paid using card I would have still been overcharged

As long as cash payment is an option, I have a right to choose which is convenient for me, what if I tell you I don't use cards? The same consumer protection law that covers someone using card covers me too if not they should remove the option of paying with cash in their app

A flight from abuja to lagos is 25k-30k so how do you justify going from vi to lekki for 18k even the uber staff I met called it "ridiculously outrageous"

solasoulmusic:

I understand but don't they charge per mile or something like that what they gave is an estimate of the trip and not the final cost what I'm looking for is like the logo of Uber or even the app I would have screenshot that as well to buttress the point and then hide the private details like the name since they've admitted they made a mistake it's fine Next time use a card because you can do a charge back yourself with the card company with proof of communication and their ignorance of it
Re: He Wants To Sue Uber Nigeria For Damages Worth 300 Million Naira by Nobody: 7:36pm On Jun 21, 2017
CanadianNurse:

Please don't mistake my advice as trying to justify the action you are dealing with an international brand their logo must be there or it's your word against theirs
Re: He Wants To Sue Uber Nigeria For Damages Worth 300 Million Naira by CanadianNurse: 8:19pm On Jun 21, 2017
solasoulmusic:

Please don't mistake my advice as trying to justify the action you are dealing with an international brand their logo must be there or it's your word against theirs
lol madam I understand you but logo can be photoshopped! The main thing is all the emails I received it from them and they are not denying it

1 Like

Re: He Wants To Sue Uber Nigeria For Damages Worth 300 Million Naira by Nobody: 9:02pm On Jun 21, 2017
How can you even think of suing them for N300 million. Contact them and tell then you don't want the credits that should refund your money, that's all.
Re: He Wants To Sue Uber Nigeria For Damages Worth 300 Million Naira by CanadianNurse: 9:43pm On Jun 21, 2017
Pidgin2:
How can you even think of suing them for N300 million. Contact them and tell then you don't want the credits that should refund your money, that's all.
exactly what I've done but not yielding any response..... They don't even have a customer care Center only on Twitter
Re: He Wants To Sue Uber Nigeria For Damages Worth 300 Million Naira by Pronmix(m): 11:36pm On Jun 21, 2017
Contact RipOffNG on twitter. This is their area of expertise. Uber has an office in Lekki. Not sure the particular area but they do.

1 Like

Re: He Wants To Sue Uber Nigeria For Damages Worth 300 Million Naira by CanadianNurse: 6:46am On Jun 22, 2017
Pronmix:
Contact RipOffNG on twitter. This is their area of expertise. Uber has an office in Lekki. Not sure the particular area but they do.
they have an office at Samsung building in Providence street lekki.... I went there and they say they don't attend to riders(customers) they only attend to partners and driver welfare
Re: He Wants To Sue Uber Nigeria For Damages Worth 300 Million Naira by CanadianNurse: 1:24pm On Jun 22, 2017
@yemdogg biko your legal advice needed

(1) (Reply)

Accident At Igbo Efon Lekki / Get In Here....uk / 11 S'African Taxi Drivers Returning From Colleague Funeral Shot Dead By Gunmen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.