Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,490 members, 7,823,146 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:17 AM

6 Things You Are Doing Now That’s Gradually Damaging Your Smartphone’s Battery - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / 6 Things You Are Doing Now That’s Gradually Damaging Your Smartphone’s Battery (2464 Views)

9 Ways You Are Accidentally Damaging Your Smart Phone / How Smartphones Are Gradually Damaging Your Eyes - MUST READ / 4 Ways You’re Accidentally Damaging Your Smartphone (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Things You Are Doing Now That’s Gradually Damaging Your Smartphone’s Battery by CodecJay(m): 8:43am On Jun 22, 2017
Charging your phone from zero to 100%
I came across a blog post on scienceAlert. The post was about a study carried out by Battery University; a leading resource for information about batteries. The report stated that Li-ion Batteries does not need to be fully charged, nor is it desirable to do so. This is because a high voltage stresses the battery and wears it away in the long run.

Li-ion batteries are one out of two types of battery found on Smartphones today and might be the one in your phone right now. Keep them charged 50% or most of the time but not up to 100%. Whenever it drops below 50%; top it up a little. A little charge few times a day seems to be the optimum to aim for.

Charging your battery overnight
While charging your phone overnight is not going to cause any damage to your Smartphone battery by means of overcharging it. In our today’s Smartphone technology, that word, “overcharge” doesn’t exist anymore. Smartphone’s have a chip that automatically disconnects the phone from absorbing any extra electrical current once the battery is fully charged.

Does charging your phone overnight ruin the battery?

No, but the main problem with charging your phone overnight has to do with the amount of charge/discharge cycles a Smartphone battery can go through. The cells in a Smartphone battery were not built to last forever, but at least, two or more years of being in perfect condition is okay.

Businessinsider reported that the companies that make your smartphone batteries say they should barely last a year.

Battery University stated that your smartphone’s lithium-ion battery have at least a lifespan of 300-500 charging cycles.

If the normal daily charging and discharging of the Smartphone battery over time can wear off the battery leading to a reduction in the amount of charge it can hold. Charging and discharging more frequently will quicken the death of your smartphone battery cells.

That’s just con in charging your Smartphone overnight, when it drops 1% your charger will fill it back up immediately, reducing the charging cycle drastically.

Charging and using the phone at the same time
Is it bad to use your phone while charging?

You must have heard this question countless times.

Imagine playing that wonderful game that hooked you up to your Smartphone, then all of a sudden you ran out of battery and you probably need to charge the phone or stop playing the game if the battery finally goes flat. What will you do?

The normal Smartphone user will quickly plug in the charger and continue playing the game. Everybody is guilty of this one.

Everybody is guilty on this one.

We should all learn to desist from this practice; I know will be very hard to do.

While you will not notice any immediate damage to your Smartphone’s battery but the damage will come over time.

First, the battery will start overheating and when it does, your battery starts swelling up gradually and a swollen battery is never as good and healthy as its previous self.

Secondly, every Smartphone battery has its designated time to charge to 100%. A 2000mAH battery will take around 1hr to be fully charged. If you are charging your battery and using it at the same time, it will take longer to charge. The result is that the battery heats up and its components heat up too.

I will talk about temperature and how it can damage your battery later on this post.

Using any Charger that comes your way
Even looking at your Smartphone’s manual, the manufacturer wrote that you should only charge with chargers meant for the phone. They are not trying to be wicked, they are just trying to make sure you enjoy your phone for a very long time and also secure their brand name.

There are so many fake and original chargers in the market today, and while the original chargers meant for your phone can be very expensive, you might be tempted to go for the cheaper fake ones.

Your charger is the most important Smartphone accessory your Smartphone has. It stands in between your precious Smartphone and the massive electric current that wouldn’t waste time to blow up your phone into ashes. Whether lower or higher than normal, the charger takes in any amount of power presented to it and outputs the absolute amount of power your battery needs to charge and function properly. This is because your original charger was built with your Smartphone’s battery in mind, but the fake charger out there wasn’t and it will not feed your battery the optimum power it needs and in some cases, this might cause the slow and steady death of your Smartphone’s battery.

This is because your original charger was built with your Smartphone’s battery in mind, but the fake charger out there wasn’t and it will not feed your battery the optimum power it needs and in some cases, this might cause the slow and steady death of your Smartphone’s battery.

Whether lower or higher than normal, the charger takes in any amount of power presented to it and outputs the absolute amount of power your battery needs to charge and function properly. This is because your original charger was built with your Smartphone’s battery in mind, but the fake charger out there wasn’t and it will not feed your battery the optimum power it needs and in some cases, this might cause the slow and steady death of your Smartphone’s battery.

Leaving the battery without charge for too long
If you are going to leave your phone for a very long time, don’t leave it with a 0% or a 100% charge.

According to Techadvisor.com, try to leave it at around 40-50%.

Li-ion batteries tend to drain at about 5-10% a month when not in use. If you leave the battery completely discharged for a very long period of time, the battery may eventually become incapable of holding a charge whenever you come back to it.

Some people believe that leaving a battery 100% charged for a very long time might make the battery explode, no proof has been drawn up to back up this belief but I think it is possible if the battery is kept in a place that the temperature will rise beyond normal.

To be on the safer side, just leave the battery with 40-50% charge, Li-ion batteries retain charge a lot at that level.

The effects of low and high temperature on Smartphone batteries.
Let me start with how high temperatures can damage your Smartphone battery and maybe your Smartphone too.

These days; all the Smartphones around the world must have either one of the two types of batteries found on smartphones; a lithium-ion battery (Li-ion) or a Lithium polymer battery.

Smartphone brands that want to embrace the new revolution of technology and produce slim weightless smart phones will always go for the Li-ion battery; this is because the latter adds more weight to your pocket when used in a Smartphone.

But, the Li-ion battery with all of its advantages doesn’t fare well with high temperature while Lithium polymer batteries don’t have any problem with high temperature unless it is frying.

The Li-ion battery was cursed with a problem whereby a rise in temperature will promote even more excess heat and finally leading to overheating issues. This process is called “thermal runaway” and I will elaborate more on it in another post.

Well, not just a rise in temperature. A drastic fall in temperature can also cause severe damage to your Smartphone battery.

Smartphone batteries were designed to fare well in low temperatures more than high temperatures, but a temperature as low as -40 degrees will cause so much damage to a Smartphone battery.

Smartphone studies have shown that Android phones perform better in the cold more than its Apple counterparts.

In cold temperatures, your battery will always drain out rapidly and when this repeats itself, it might damage the battery very fast. The device may shut down spontaneously with a drained battery. This is because the cells are not in the normal temperature that will help them function properly.

2 Likes

Re: 6 Things You Are Doing Now That’s Gradually Damaging Your Smartphone’s Battery by CodecJay(m): 8:46am On Jun 22, 2017
Re: 6 Things You Are Doing Now That’s Gradually Damaging Your Smartphone’s Battery by HallaDaTruth: 8:54am On Jun 22, 2017
GUILTY AS CHARGED
Re: 6 Things You Are Doing Now That’s Gradually Damaging Your Smartphone’s Battery by CodecJay(m): 9:54am On Jun 22, 2017
HallaDaTruth:
GUILTY AS CHARGED
Go and sin no more. You've been forgiven

1 Like

Re: 6 Things You Are Doing Now That’s Gradually Damaging Your Smartphone’s Battery by 7footre(m): 12:31pm On Jun 22, 2017
Playing clash of clans! That game don cast my battery
Re: 6 Things You Are Doing Now That’s Gradually Damaging Your Smartphone’s Battery by Nobody: 1:08pm On Jun 22, 2017
I dont even need to stress myself. Once my Tecno L9+ charges, it gives me longer hrs of use and I dont need to use while charging cos it charges fast and just 5mins of charge gives me an optimum use
Re: 6 Things You Are Doing Now That’s Gradually Damaging Your Smartphone’s Battery by CodecJay(m): 6:25pm On Jun 22, 2017
7footre:
Playing clash of clans! That game don cast my battery

Not only u. The game Dy fry my own battery.
Re: 6 Things You Are Doing Now That’s Gradually Damaging Your Smartphone’s Battery by CodecJay(m): 6:29pm On Jun 22, 2017
Iamdemola:
I dont even need to stress myself. Once my Tecno L9+ charges, it gives me longer hrs of use and I dont need to use while charging cos it charges fast and just 5mins of charge gives me an optimum use

This new fast charge technology is very good and helpful. Very soon a smartphone will be middle range of it's launched without fast charge technology.

My xaiomi redmi note 4 charges so fast that I sometimes ppl wonder when if I ever charge my phone
Re: 6 Things You Are Doing Now That’s Gradually Damaging Your Smartphone’s Battery by 7footre(m): 7:14pm On Jun 22, 2017
CodecJay:

Not only u. The game Dy fry my own battery.

Baba that game de addictive die
Re: 6 Things You Are Doing Now That’s Gradually Damaging Your Smartphone’s Battery by Larwin(m): 9:35pm On Jun 22, 2017
ok

Re: 6 Things You Are Doing Now That’s Gradually Damaging Your Smartphone’s Battery by Nobody: 11:51am On Jun 26, 2017
CodecJay:

This new fast charge technology is very good and helpful. Very soon a smartphone will be middle range of it's launched without fast charge technology.

My xaiomi redmi note 4 charges so fast that I sometimes ppl wonder when if I ever charge my phone

yes, the fast charge Technology is good and I like the fact that OEMs are exploring that option. Since it's not advisable to use while charging, you can be sure of quick charge to enable you attend to an urgent use. Some of us have our phones as our offices now
Re: 6 Things You Are Doing Now That’s Gradually Damaging Your Smartphone’s Battery by oregan(m): 5:43pm On Jun 26, 2017
Charging from laptop
Re: 6 Things You Are Doing Now That’s Gradually Damaging Your Smartphone’s Battery by ddjay: 7:29pm On Jun 26, 2017
oregan:
Charging from laptop
and from inside a car (cigarette lighter socket)

1 Like

Re: 6 Things You Are Doing Now That’s Gradually Damaging Your Smartphone’s Battery by Techm8: 12:10pm On Jul 01, 2017
Iamdemola:

yes, the fast charge Technology is good and I like the fact that OEMs are exploring that option. Since it's not advisable to use while charging, you can be sure of quick charge to enable you attend to an urgent use. Some of us have our phones as our offices now
I agree with you. Fast charge is one of the most underated feature in a smartphones. Good thing it's becoming common place among mid range devices

1 Like

Re: 6 Things You Are Doing Now That’s Gradually Damaging Your Smartphone’s Battery by Nobody: 11:15am On Jul 08, 2017
Techm8:

I agree with you. Fast charge is one of the most underated feature in a smartphones. Good thing it's becoming common place among mid range devices

Gbam! no one wants to charge for hours these days abeg

(1) (Reply)

Tecno W6 / Get Free N100 Airtime Now!! / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.