Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,796 members, 7,810,074 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:04 PM

Candido Da Fonseca Galvao, The Yoruba Prince Of Brazil. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Candido Da Fonseca Galvao, The Yoruba Prince Of Brazil. (3889 Views)

Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival / Ezelekhae Ewuare: The Crown Prince Of Benin Kingdom Unveiled In Edo (Photos) / The Story Of Candido Joao Da Rocha (1860 – 1959), One Of Nigeria’s First Million (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Candido Da Fonseca Galvao, The Yoruba Prince Of Brazil. by salford1: 6:08am On Jun 25, 2017
Candido da Fonseca Galvao, the Yoruba Prince of Brazil.
Candido da Fonseca Galvao ( Sheets , 1845 – 1890 ) was a military officer in Brazil.

Candido da Fonseca Galvao was probably a son or grandson of Yoruba King Abiodun of Oyo Empire in the area now known as South West, Nigeria. He was recognized as a foreign sovereign by the Brazilian monarchy, and was known as Dom Oba II d’Africa, or simply Dom Oba.

Originally sold into slavery, he however, exemplified the type of free men of African descent who lived in and contributed to Brazil. A royal prince with bloodline from Yorubaland; on a quest for adventure.
He voluntarily enlisted to fight in the War of Paraguay and due to his great bravery and outstanding martial skills he was awarded an honorary officer of the Brazilian army.

After the war, he settled in Rio de Janeiro, becoming a legendary figure of folkloric proportions. He was revered and adored as a royal prince by the millions of African Brazilians of his time. He was an inspiration, a leader and a father figure for those very African Brazilians in their struggle to live with dignity, to establish fairness in a prejudiced Brazil.
Dom Oba was a personal friend of the Emperor D. Pedro II whom he regularly visited in his court each year, and where he was received with all full honours due to a sovereign dignitary.

He was also a committed abolitionist and began a campaign to combat racism.

He was a monarchist in his political outlook. Thus, with the fall of the Empire in 1889 he fell out of favour with the republicans because of his monarchist sentiments. He died soon after in July 1890.
# Copied from Proudly Yoruba

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Candido Da Fonseca Galvao, The Yoruba Prince Of Brazil. by adebobconed(m): 6:20am On Jun 25, 2017
Ok
Re: Candido Da Fonseca Galvao, The Yoruba Prince Of Brazil. by Olu317(m): 12:30pm On Jun 25, 2017
True hero always live forever in the heart of their descendants... Yoruba people always come with exemplary bravery and greatness. A hero he was, which is the reason that he is always remembered for his DEED .

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Candido Da Fonseca Galvao, The Yoruba Prince Of Brazil. by Nobody: 3:06pm On Jun 25, 2017
I feel we ignore the link between us and Yorubas in the Caribbean and South America too often.

Respect to the man.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Candido Da Fonseca Galvao, The Yoruba Prince Of Brazil. by macof(m): 4:55pm On Jun 25, 2017
SirWere:
I feel we ignore the link between us and Yorubas in the Caribbean and South America too often.

Respect to the man.

Sadly true.

We need to create bridges with our brothers across the Atlantic

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Candido Da Fonseca Galvao, The Yoruba Prince Of Brazil. by Nobody: 6:13pm On Jun 25, 2017
macof:

Sadly true.

We need to create bridges with our brothers across the Atlantic

This is one of the limitations of not being in a separate Oodua nation, I suppose. We don't even acknowledge Yorubas in Benin Republic much talkess of Brazil.

It's a pity though, we can use the strength of these Cultural relationships to build trade bridges into South America and speed up National Development.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Candido Da Fonseca Galvao, The Yoruba Prince Of Brazil. by Konquest: 6:49pm On Jun 25, 2017
salford1:
Candido da Fonseca Galvao ( Sheets , 1845 – 1890 ) was a military officer in Brazil.

Candido da Fonseca Galvao was probably a son or grandson of Yoruba King Abiodun of Oyo Empire in the area now known as South West, Nigeria. He was recognized as a foreign sovereign by the Brazilian monarchy, and was known as Dom Oba II d’Africa, or simply Dom Oba.

Originally sold into slavery, he however, exemplified the type of free men of African descent who lived in and contributed to Brazil. A royal prince with bloodline from Yorubaland; on a quest for adventure.
He voluntarily enlisted to fight in the War of Paraguay and due to his great bravery and outstanding martial skills he was awarded an honorary officer of the Brazilian army.

After the war, he settled in Rio de Janeiro, becoming a legendary figure of folkloric proportions. He was revered and adored as a royal prince by the millions of African Brazilians of his time. He was an inspiration, a leader and a father figure for those very African Brazilians in their struggle to live with dignity, to establish fairness in a prejudiced Brazil.
Dom Oba was a personal friend of the Emperor D. Pedro II whom he regularly visited in his court each year, and where he was received with all full honours tongue tongue due to a sovereign dignitary.

He was a monarchist in his political outlook. Thus, with the fall of the Empire in 1889 he fell out of favour with the republicans because of his monarchist sentiments. He died soon after in July 1890.
^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^

@Salford1

This is a very insightful post. grin

I've never read about our prince
before now despite reading a lot
of Diasporan [Black Cuban, Brazilian,
Venezuelan, Sierra Leonian, etc,] history
since the early 80s.

Did you know that the wealthy Yoruba
Brazilian returnee from Bahia in Brazil
by the name Candido Da Rocha
was of Ijesa ancestry and he built
an exact replica of his Lagos Island
mansion known as the Water House
on Kakawa Street in Bahia as well?

His daughter was the founder
of ADRAO International school
on Victoria Island. Akara Ijesa is still
eaten with relish in Bahia and the
Yoruba religion is the only
significant African religion that made
it to the Americas and it is a World
Religion today.

Thanks for sharing! grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Candido Da Fonseca Galvao, The Yoruba Prince Of Brazil. by Olu317(m): 6:55pm On Jun 25, 2017
SirWere:

This is one of the limitations of not being in a separate Oodua nation, I suppose. We don't even acknowledge Yorubas in Benin Republic much talkess of Brazil.

It's a pity though, we can use the strength of these Cultural relationships to build trade bridges into South America and speed up National Development.
Honestly it's indeed a good reason. Imagine, when the United States of America has made conclusion to fuse Yoruba language into their academic curriculum and some few Yorubas are blind to see it. Eledumare will open our inner eyes to see the plan God has for us.

3 Likes

Re: Candido Da Fonseca Galvao, The Yoruba Prince Of Brazil. by Konquest: 6:57pm On Jun 25, 2017
salford1:

Dom Oba was a personal friend of the Emperor D. Pedro II whom he regularly visited in his court each year, and where he was received with all full honours due to a sovereign dignitary.

^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^
Seeing his picture just gives me
goose pimples right now...

The kind of feeling I got seeing another
photograph of Oluale, one of the
people of Yoruba ancestry who
was on board the last slave ship
to sail into the Southern United States
in 1860 shortly before the American
Civil War started. The Yoruba traders
were captured as prisoners of war
and sold by the king of Dahomey along
with a Fon nobleman, and some
Tapas or Nupes and taken to Alabama.

At the end of the Civil War, they did
not have money to go back to
Africa and so they lived in Africa Town
in Alabama.

I will attach Pa. Oluale's picture in his
old age shortly after 1900. Their descendants still live in Alabama
and other U.S. cities. A DNA test would
further prove where they come from
in Africa.

^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^
UPDATE:

I have just attached the 1912 picture of Pa Oluale Kossola
[who is also known as Charlie Lewis, the YORUBA man in Alabama
who was taken as a captive from Dahomey to the Southern United States
on board the CLOTILDA, the last slave ship or schooner to sail for the
United States and arrived in Mobile, Alabama on Sunday July 8, 1860].

The 1912 picture is the second PICTURE BELOW.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Candido Da Fonseca Galvao, The Yoruba Prince Of Brazil. by macof(m): 12:02am On Jun 26, 2017
SirWere:

true. I've always maintained the stand that a Sovereign or at least Autonomous Yoruba Nation would help Yorubas mentally and socioculturally (economically as well but I won't go into that) as we would be open to the world as a people of our own. The awareness of "Yoruba brotherhood" all over the world will be in full force

2 Likes

Re: Candido Da Fonseca Galvao, The Yoruba Prince Of Brazil. by Nobody: 12:39am On Jun 26, 2017
Olu317:
Honestly it's indeed a good reason. Imagine, when the United States of America has made conclusion to fuse Yoruba language into their academic curriculum and some few Yorubas are blind to see it. Eledumare will open our inner eyes to see the plan God has for us.
The irony, Westerners and Europeans are more interested in our culture than we Yorubas sef.

Amin

1 Like

Re: Candido Da Fonseca Galvao, The Yoruba Prince Of Brazil. by Nobody: 12:51am On Jun 26, 2017
macof:
true. I've always maintained the stand that a Sovereign or at least Autonomous Yoruba Nation would help Yorubas mentally and socioculturally (economically as well but I won't go into that) as we would be open to the world as a people of our own. The awareness of "Yoruba brotherhood" all over the world will be in full force
The funniest thing was that leaders like Awolowo had initially agitated for a secession clause to be inserted into the constitution but it was waved down due to our "indivisible unity".

I would really want us to have the power to control our own region. Nigeria seems to be dragging us down.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Candido Da Fonseca Galvao, The Yoruba Prince Of Brazil. by Konquest: 2:16pm On Jun 28, 2017
Konquest:

^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^
Seeing his picture just gives me
goose pimples right now...

The kind of feeling I got seeing another
photograph of Oluale, one of the
people of Yoruba ancestry who
was on board the last slave ship
to sail into the Southern United States
in 1860 shortly before the American
Civil War started. The Yoruba traders
were captured as prisoners of war
and sold by the king of Dahomey along
with a Fon nobleman, and some
Tapas or Nupes and taken to Alabama.

At the end of the Civil War, they did
not have money to go back to
Africa and so they lived in Africa Town
in Alabama.

I will attach Pa. Oluale's picture in his
old age shortly after 1900. Their descendants still live in Alabama
and other U.S. cities. A DNA test would
further prove where they come from
in Africa.

^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^
UPDATE:

I have just attached the 1912 picture of Pa Oluale Kossola
[who is also known as Charlie Lewis, the YORUBA man in Alabama
who was taken as a captive from Dahomey to the Southern United States
on board the CLOTILDA, the last slave ship or schooner to sail for the
United States and arrived in Mobile, Alabama on Sunday July 8, 1860].

The 1912 picture is the second PICTURE BELOW.

1 Like

Re: Candido Da Fonseca Galvao, The Yoruba Prince Of Brazil. by Tequilah: 11:11am On Jun 30, 2017
salford1:

What happened to his descendants in Brazil? Are they still alive? Someone should really do a film or something on his life history.

2 Likes

Re: Candido Da Fonseca Galvao, The Yoruba Prince Of Brazil. by Konquest: 2:15pm On Jun 30, 2017
Tequilah:

What happened to his descendants in Brazil? Are they still alive? Someone should really do a film or something on his life history.

^^^^^^^
@Tequilah

@salford1 might have a direct answer to YOUR question... but I think his descendants
might be in the Bahia State which is the EPICENTER of Yoruba Descendants in Brazil
where akara Ijesa and the Yoruba religion
of Ifa are widely practised.

Candido DaRocha, the very wealthy Ijesha-Yoruba returnee from Brazil built a replica of the Water House located along Kakawa Street on Lagos Island, in Bahia, Brazil before

Some of Candido DaRocha's family are still living in Bahia till today. He had 2 family
branches: the Nigerian branch and the
Brazilian branch.

The founder of ADRAO International School in Victoria Island is his daughter.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Candido Da Fonseca Galvao, The Yoruba Prince Of Brazil. by bettes(f): 11:38pm On Jul 18, 2017
Konquest:

^^^^^^^
@Tequilah

@salford1 might have a direct answer to YOUR question... but I think his descendants
might be in the Bahia State which is the EPICENTER of Yoruba Descendants in Brazil
where akara Ijesa and the Yoruba religion
of Ifa are widely practised.

Candido DaRocha, the very wealthy Ijesha-Yoruba returnee from Brazil built a replica of the Water House located along Kakawa Street on Lagos Island, in Bahia, Brazil before

Some of Candido DaRocha's family are still living in Bahia till today. He had 2 family
branches: the Nigerian branch and the
Brazilian branch.

The founder of ADRAO International School in Victoria Island is his daughter.

I will upload a short documentary that featured on CNN's Inside Africa on Afro Brazilians in Lagos island his great grand daughter featured in it,i featured in it as well.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Candido Da Fonseca Galvao, The Yoruba Prince Of Brazil. by SIRTee15: 6:35pm On Mar 28, 2019
The guy look so much like duro ladipo....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Candido Da Fonseca Galvao, The Yoruba Prince Of Brazil. by Nobody: 8:24pm On Oct 03, 2020
Re: Candido Da Fonseca Galvao, The Yoruba Prince Of Brazil. by Nobody: 8:24pm On Oct 03, 2020
tongue
Re: Candido Da Fonseca Galvao, The Yoruba Prince Of Brazil. by Cousin9999: 9:11pm On Oct 03, 2020

Respect to the man.

I think many people just don't know, especially since whites have worked hard to drive a wedge between us.
Re: Candido Da Fonseca Galvao, The Yoruba Prince Of Brazil. by BlackfireX: 2:34pm On Oct 05, 2020
If only Awo and Zik did the right thing when the pendulum swing in there favour..
Re: Candido Da Fonseca Galvao, The Yoruba Prince Of Brazil. by wealthtrak: 7:06am On Apr 18, 2021
bettes:
I will upload a short documentary that featured on CNN's Inside Africa on Afro Brazilians in Lagos island his great grand daughter featured in it,i featured in it as well.
That's really fantastic! grin

Yoruba-Brazilian descendants
in Bahia.

I'll search for the documentary
online.

(1) (Reply)

Country: Oduduwa Republic / The Most Common Names In Nigerian Tribes / Skinny Women Are Troublesome

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.