Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,346 members, 7,811,999 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:50 AM

Scarcity Of International Passport Booklet Caused By High Dollar Rate - Joe Abah - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Scarcity Of International Passport Booklet Caused By High Dollar Rate - Joe Abah (16478 Views)

See List Of International Airports In Nigeria - Photos / Latest Pictures Of Abuja International Airport - Shared By Dr. Joe Abah / Scarcity Of International Passport Booklets At The Nigeria Immigration (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Scarcity Of International Passport Booklet Caused By High Dollar Rate - Joe Abah by free2ryhme: 7:22pm On Jun 26, 2017
Iconoclaste:

Zombies and mor.ons don't suddenly happen, ppl are born with it.
Some persons need to ask their daddies pertinent questions.

Re: Scarcity Of International Passport Booklet Caused By High Dollar Rate - Joe Abah by BedLam: 7:22pm On Jun 26, 2017
Ilaje44:
These rogues will never stop to embarass themselves. Why wouldn't the poor quality Nigerian passport cost 100 Dollars to produce, when there is absolutely no transparency in the award of contracts?

I have better quality passport that cost way less than Nigerian passport, and government in those countries are not subsidising their citizens.
Funny enough , it's not rocket science to print these passports. Everything that's other than garri seems to be "technical" and difficult for us.

1 Like

Re: Scarcity Of International Passport Booklet Caused By High Dollar Rate - Joe Abah by Zetra(m): 7:23pm On Jun 26, 2017
after this government evangelical "change" campaign on buy nigeria to grow Naira, I though things like printing of passport will be local content once they resume but it's still the same "as it was of old".

well at least errors can now be corrected in Lagos no more it's must be Abuja
Re: Scarcity Of International Passport Booklet Caused By High Dollar Rate - Joe Abah by bukynkwuenu: 7:23pm On Jun 26, 2017
I paid #25,000 to get a 32pages of passport...pls where is the #15,000 coming from and where is my #10,000 change

2 Likes

Re: Scarcity Of International Passport Booklet Caused By High Dollar Rate - Joe Abah by KaptainAfrika: 7:28pm On Jun 26, 2017
A simple solution to this, is to make the passports, have a 10 year validity. But no someone, somewhere must eat through contract!
Re: Scarcity Of International Passport Booklet Caused By High Dollar Rate - Joe Abah by bluestreak(m): 7:28pm On Jun 26, 2017
Need the contact of anyone that sells reliable telecoms batteries which could be used for inverters.
Send mail to bluestreakint@gmail.com
Re: Scarcity Of International Passport Booklet Caused By High Dollar Rate - Joe Abah by mmsen: 7:30pm On Jun 26, 2017
free2ryhme:
This guy can lie for Africa shocked

Dr Joe Abah is a thoroughly useless human being.

I can recall asking him to verify a comment/claim that he made on twitter and one of his sycophants told me that he wouldn't lie because he is a doctor...

He couldn't/did not substantiate his claim with any kind of data. This from an 'academic'.

Na wa for these people.

2 Likes

Re: Scarcity Of International Passport Booklet Caused By High Dollar Rate - Joe Abah by Nobody: 7:30pm On Jun 26, 2017
So dis shitty country can't even produce its own passports
Re: Scarcity Of International Passport Booklet Caused By High Dollar Rate - Joe Abah by AreaFada2: 7:33pm On Jun 26, 2017
THEconqueror:
That's is the more reason the validity of our passport should be 10 years. The 5 yearly validity causes more strain on the system. #commonsense

Common sense nor common na.

They can even do it that 10 years passports should be compulsorily 64 pages, considering we need visas for many countries. To prevent frequent need for passports before 10 years expiry.

People will even happily pay 25k to get it in a week or thereabout.

They see passport as a money-making venture, not delivery service to citizens in the least stressful way.

3 Likes

Re: Scarcity Of International Passport Booklet Caused By High Dollar Rate - Joe Abah by MrRector(m): 7:41pm On Jun 26, 2017
I blame myself for wasting my vote

3 Likes

Re: Scarcity Of International Passport Booklet Caused By High Dollar Rate - Joe Abah by Sleezwizz: 7:42pm On Jun 26, 2017
Smh for Nigeria. Common passport we can't produce... What then can we produce on our own?

2 Likes

Re: Scarcity Of International Passport Booklet Caused By High Dollar Rate - Joe Abah by NwaliE01: 7:42pm On Jun 26, 2017
[i][/i][color=#000099][/color]
Does that meant that our President,CBN Governor and Finance Minister are Ignorant of all these reparcusion before they decided to devalue our currency.
Are they running our economy on trial by error? SMH
Re: Scarcity Of International Passport Booklet Caused By High Dollar Rate - Joe Abah by ephi123(f): 7:45pm On Jun 26, 2017
We can't seem to get anything right in this country. In 2017.
Re: Scarcity Of International Passport Booklet Caused By High Dollar Rate - Joe Abah by richybanky(m): 8:01pm On Jun 26, 2017
Awon wayray, is more dan 6 weeks now I have paid for d passport, wat dey keep saying is no booklet at d moment one's is available u will get it.. Useless country
Re: Scarcity Of International Passport Booklet Caused By High Dollar Rate - Joe Abah by datigbogirl: 8:03pm On Jun 26, 2017
bumi10:
The Director-General of Bureau of Public Service Reforms, Dr Joe Abah said that the present scarcity of the Nigerian passports to the increase exchange rate of the dollar. He made the disclosure in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria on Monday in Abuja.

Mr. Abah noted the dollar which was formerly exchanging between N150 to N160 was now N300 and above. He added that the passport was not produced in Nigeria as only three companies in the world had the capacity and techniques to produce an international travel passport.

In his words:

“The reason for the scarcity is because since it’s not produced in the country, Nigeria had a contract with the foreign firm to do most of the production. “And at the time the contract was signed, 100 dollars was worth N15,000 which is the cost of the Nigerian passport of 32 pages, the 64 pages costs N20, 000.

“So with the naira being so much against the dollar, it meant that the N15, 000 paid by individuals will only amount to 30 dollars not 100 dollars. “So the money citizens were paying simply could not buy it anymore and government was a bit reluctant to increase the price three fold. “Currently, the government is making efforts to look for ways to subsidise the cost until we can produce the passport in country or dollar drops.’’

According to him, it would take quite a bit of investment to have all the component of the passport produced in the country as the tread used in stitching it and paper for the leaflet was difficult to come by. Abah said that the Federal Ministry of Interior and Nigeria Immigration Service were making efforts to ensure that the passports were produced in Nigeria to address the scarcity.

He noted that the passport would soon be produced like the drivers’ licence in the country, adding that the available passport booklets were presently being used to clear the backlog of applicants.

“A few months ago the Comptroller-General of Immigration announced that we now have passport booklets available across the country and across the world. “However, there had been a backlog of about six months or so people who apply newly are still waiting because they are still dealing with the people who applied before them. “So our expectation is that in the next few months, it will ease up and we will go back to the standard timing which is supposed to be 72 hours from where all your documentation are checked and correct.

He said that the bureau had also carried out a study on the process of obtaining an international passport and driver’s licence to address the challenges. Abah said that findings from the study revealed problem of internet, electricity as well as touting in some parts of the country. He explained that the study was carried out through interaction with customers on their experiences and officers of the bureau going undercover to monitor operations.

Abah said that the full report was yet to be submitted to the Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety and the Comptroller-General of Immigration, who had been briefed on the findings.

more @ http://www.exlinklodge.com/2017/06/the-scarcity-of-international-passport.html

thank God mine expires 2020...by that time naija go don better...if you read meaning into it na you and your over sabi na hin know oh!

3 Likes

Re: Scarcity Of International Passport Booklet Caused By High Dollar Rate - Joe Abah by Nairaboi(m): 8:22pm On Jun 26, 2017
This is bullsheet. 64 pages booklet is always available and 32 booklet pages of the e-passport always scarce. The 32 is the most frequently sought for and 32 mostly for frequent travellers. How this administration has failed to live up to the expectations of the masses still beats my imagination, the usual way past governments have always had a reason to fail, given stupid and flimsy excuses.
How the hell an item such as the Nigerian passport is handed over to Iris, a Malaysian firm still beats my imagination

1 Like

Re: Scarcity Of International Passport Booklet Caused By High Dollar Rate - Joe Abah by Acethekid(m): 8:22pm On Jun 26, 2017
Is it really scarce? I renewed mine last week at an exorbitant cost but it was ready within 24 hours. Apparently, it answers to money
Re: Scarcity Of International Passport Booklet Caused By High Dollar Rate - Joe Abah by imran90(m): 8:24pm On Jun 26, 2017
watin yu guys dey find passport for? we all vote for change nao the change is here but you guys want run abi? ko le werk, all embassy and immigration should be close till baba buhari leave aso rock.

1 Like

Re: Scarcity Of International Passport Booklet Caused By High Dollar Rate - Joe Abah by agrovick(m): 8:36pm On Jun 26, 2017
This Nigeria sef

Live here, trouble

Try to escape, another wahala

1 Like

Re: Scarcity Of International Passport Booklet Caused By High Dollar Rate - Joe Abah by Nobody: 8:39pm On Jun 26, 2017
bumi10:
The Director-General of Bureau of Public Service Reforms, Dr Joe Abah said that the present scarcity of the Nigerian passports to the increase exchange rate of the dollar. He made the disclosure in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria on Monday in Abuja.

Mr. Abah noted the dollar which was formerly exchanging between N150 to N160 was now N300 and above. He added that the passport was not produced in Nigeria as only three companies in the world had the capacity and techniques to produce an international travel passport.

In his words:

“The reason for the scarcity is because since it’s not produced in the country, Nigeria had a contract with the foreign firm to do most of the production. “And at the time the contract was signed, 100 dollars was worth N15,000 which is the cost of the Nigerian passport of 32 pages, the 64 pages costs N20, 000.

“So with the naira being so much against the dollar, it meant that the N15, 000 paid by individuals will only amount to 30 dollars not 100 dollars. “So the money citizens were paying simply could not buy it anymore and government was a bit reluctant to increase the price three fold. “Currently, the government is making efforts to look for ways to subsidise the cost until we can produce the passport in country or dollar drops.’’

According to him, it would take quite a bit of investment to have all the component of the passport produced in the country as the tread used in stitching it and paper for the leaflet was difficult to come by. Abah said that the Federal Ministry of Interior and Nigeria Immigration Service were making efforts to ensure that the passports were produced in Nigeria to address the scarcity.

He noted that the passport would soon be produced like the drivers’ licence in the country, adding that the available passport booklets were presently being used to clear the backlog of applicants.

“A few months ago the Comptroller-General of Immigration announced that we now have passport booklets available across the country and across the world. “However, there had been a backlog of about six months or so people who apply newly are still waiting because they are still dealing with the people who applied before them. “So our expectation is that in the next few months, it will ease up and we will go back to the standard timing which is supposed to be 72 hours from where all your documentation are checked and correct.

He said that the bureau had also carried out a study on the process of obtaining an international passport and driver’s licence to address the challenges. Abah said that findings from the study revealed problem of internet, electricity as well as touting in some parts of the country. He explained that the study was carried out through interaction with customers on their experiences and officers of the bureau going undercover to monitor operations.

Abah said that the full report was yet to be submitted to the Corps Marshal of the Federal Road Safety and the Comptroller-General of Immigration, who had been briefed on the findings.

more @ http://www.exlinklodge.com/2017/06/the-scarcity-of-international-passport.html

Scarcity,yes! But6 months na lie! E no dey reach
Re: Scarcity Of International Passport Booklet Caused By High Dollar Rate - Joe Abah by THEconqueror: 9:00pm On Jun 26, 2017
AreaFada2:

Common sense nor common na.

They can even do it that 10 years passports should be compulsorily 64 pages, considering we need visas for many countries. To prevent frequent need for passports before 10 years expiry.

People will even happily pay 25k to get it in a week or thereabout.

They[b] see passport as a money-making venture, not delivery service to citizens in the least stressful way.
[/b]

Seeing it as a money-making venture is the main problem. Every other problem sterns from that
Re: Scarcity Of International Passport Booklet Caused By High Dollar Rate - Joe Abah by Nobody: 9:14pm On Jun 26, 2017
free2ryhme:
This guy can lie for Africa shocked

A immigration officer told me same thing like over 12 months ago.
Re: Scarcity Of International Passport Booklet Caused By High Dollar Rate - Joe Abah by Nobody: 9:49pm On Jun 26, 2017
Acethekid:
Is it really scarce? I renewed mine last week at an exorbitant cost but it was ready within 24 hours. Apparently, it answers to money

Bros, gimme connect na.
Re: Scarcity Of International Passport Booklet Caused By High Dollar Rate - Joe Abah by Nobody: 9:51pm On Jun 26, 2017
So having my passport for movement is a challenge. This country is as useless as buhari's hausa message.

2 Likes

Re: Scarcity Of International Passport Booklet Caused By High Dollar Rate - Joe Abah by madbuhari: 10:08pm On Jun 26, 2017
abeg I want to auction my international passport , any a mouth I go sell
Re: Scarcity Of International Passport Booklet Caused By High Dollar Rate - Joe Abah by Nobody: 10:13pm On Jun 26, 2017
Since Buhari and Abba Kayri and all APC people came to government, its been one scarcity to another.

Who knows if husbands will be scarce to get than before.

Maybe God kill Nigeria leaders in government. It should be a prayer from Nigerians to those corrupt leaders in government.
Re: Scarcity Of International Passport Booklet Caused By High Dollar Rate - Joe Abah by ensamy(m): 10:34pm On Jun 26, 2017
can't they print the booklet in Aba.
Re: Scarcity Of International Passport Booklet Caused By High Dollar Rate - Joe Abah by bellenornor(f): 11:18pm On Jun 26, 2017
Jamescosmas:
my brother came back from Qatar because his own has expired and the club he played football for there gave him one week to travel and get it. we couldn't get it in umuahia but contact was made with Benue state immigration command, he had to travel there to get it at very high price..
Na waa o
Re: Scarcity Of International Passport Booklet Caused By High Dollar Rate - Joe Abah by Onbami(m): 11:25pm On Jun 26, 2017
Op can you Ask Even GT Bank that at what rate are they exchanging Visa fee for US Visa in which USA visa is 150 dollars and yet it's 64k at GTB.. cos even in black market dollar is N380 per dollar and it's not up to 60k.. so GT bank are exploiting us.
Re: Scarcity Of International Passport Booklet Caused By High Dollar Rate - Joe Abah by davillian(m): 2:21am On Jun 27, 2017
Booklet

ISTL has a separate contract for the production of the passport booklet and design and implemented a production process from the production of paper (SAPPI in South Africa), supply of the embedded chip (NXP), to the printing and binding of the booklet and chip embedding (Malaysia) to final delivery to Nigeria.
Nigeria is a country full of wonders.
Re: Scarcity Of International Passport Booklet Caused By High Dollar Rate - Joe Abah by ddeola: 3:30am On Jun 27, 2017
Some excuses are not necessary. Find a lasting solution and solve the problem abegi

Governments around the world are talking about reaching the moon while our people are still dancing around small small things
Re: Scarcity Of International Passport Booklet Caused By High Dollar Rate - Joe Abah by okechuks22: 6:15am On Jun 27, 2017
And scarcity of national I d card and PVC is caused by what because when u want to get this Id card they will only give u temporary one and u will still wait forever to get permanent ones

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Six Nigerian Asylum-seekers Die As Cameroon Forcefully Repatriates Them / United Airline To Stop Flights To Nigeria / LASG Announces Traffic Diversion At Marina For Lagos Rail Mass Transit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.