Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,335 members, 7,819,170 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:15 PM

Well Here Is A Governor That Is Making Sense - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Well Here Is A Governor That Is Making Sense (617 Views)

5 Months As A Governor, I Am Already Tired - El Rufai / Aregbe The First Governor that Create 40,000 Jobs For Four Years. / Shema Is The Only Governor That Will Be Leaving Office Without Debt – Ribadu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Well Here Is A Governor That Is Making Sense by Gayigaskia(m): 4:27pm On Jan 27, 2010
Niger State Governor, Dr. Babangida Aliyu has observed that the rotational presidency which was adopted by the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) is alien to the constitution of Nigeria.

Aliyu made this assertion in Minna yesterday during a courtesy visit on him by some traditional rulers from the Federal Capital Territory .

He said "we must respect the constitution even when it is imperfect until we are able to amend it, as the issue of rotational presidency is not in the constitution, it is only a PDP affair to have their candidates zoned in elections."

According to him, the only way to ensure the sanctity of the constitution and allow the rule of law to prevail is for all Nigerians to respect the nation's constitution.

The governor explained that going by the provisions of the constitution, President Umar Yar'Adua ought to have handed over to Vice- President Goodluck Jonathan before traveling to Saudi Arabia for medical treatment.

Aliyu appealed to the political class to avoid segregation on the basis of religion, noting that the lives of over 150 million Nigerians could be put in jeopardy if such mundane interests are not put in check.

His words: "are we to compromise the lives of 150 million people because of a party constitution and why must we determine leaders base on their religious background? After all Abiola and Kingibe were Muslims when they ran on same ticket as President and Vie-President.

"The Nigerian Constitution is very specific about certain issues in the country and that includes that of the President when he is not on seat as it allows the Vice-President to take over pending when the president comes back," he added./quote]

sourcehttp://www.leadershipnigeria.com/index.php/news/cover-stories/11280-rotation-of-presidency-is-unconstitutional--aliyu

What do you think? At least we know there are some northern governors that want to do the right thing for this country.
Re: Well Here Is A Governor That Is Making Sense by desgiezd(m): 4:33pm On Jan 27, 2010
I read this somewhere this morning and my reaction was whaoo!! I guess it takes a lot of maturity and good conscience to take the kind of stand that the governor of Niger State has taken. How I wish many others would stand up and be counted at this crucial moment of our national history.
Re: Well Here Is A Governor That Is Making Sense by kuramo: 4:40pm On Jan 27, 2010
This shows things are starting to unravel around the evil men who call themselves the President's Kitchen cabinet.
Re: Well Here Is A Governor That Is Making Sense by Nobody: 4:45pm On Jan 27, 2010
I have always respected Gov Babangida Aliyu, he is well educated and when he talks he makes sense.

The beauty of this whole Yar'adua debate is that there are Northerners who oppose Yar'adua and their are Northerners who support him. The same can be said of the South.

As much as the international media led by BBC has tried to emphasize ethnicity . . . . . we have made progress in terms of the spread of people with varying views.
Re: Well Here Is A Governor That Is Making Sense by blacksta(m): 4:46pm On Jan 27, 2010
is this man Dr. Babangida Aliyu a member of the PDP or otherwise
Re: Well Here Is A Governor That Is Making Sense by kuramo: 5:00pm On Jan 27, 2010
Maybe Governor Babangida Aliyu is one of the good ones in the PDP.
Re: Well Here Is A Governor That Is Making Sense by naijaswag1: 5:09pm On Jan 27, 2010
These people should take their time because if they like it or not 2015 is inevitable for Ndi Igbo or the heaven's will fall.After the Yoruba's and Hausa's have taken their turn that they now realize that rotational presidency is alien to our constitution.He should have explained to the royal fathers why they don't have a president for two long months.Rotational presidency is not an alibi for misrule and corruption.It helps to allay the fears of any region of the suppression of their ethnic and religious identity.Each ethnic in Nigeria can produce a person who is very capable of ruling Nigeria.
Re: Well Here Is A Governor That Is Making Sense by MeAboki(m): 5:51pm On Jan 27, 2010
True talk, rotational presidency is not only alien to the constitution but also alien to real democracy. All this zoning crap along regional/ethnic line is undemocratic, period.
Re: Well Here Is A Governor That Is Making Sense by donjon: 9:22pm On Jan 27, 2010
I hate to say this, but.,.,.,.,.,
Re: Well Here Is A Governor That Is Making Sense by donjon: 9:27pm On Jan 27, 2010
Am impressed!!!
Re: Well Here Is A Governor That Is Making Sense by Shoot2Kill: 10:52pm On Jan 27, 2010
I am not fooled.Talk is cheap.

(1) (Reply)

The Raiding Of Ogoni Land And The Trial Of Ken Saro-wiwa (video) / Ijaw Militants Protest Allison-madueke’s Choice For Oil Ministry / World News Headlines

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.