Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,278 members, 7,829,621 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:46 AM

Questions You Need To Answer Before Getting A Dog - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Questions You Need To Answer Before Getting A Dog (1166 Views)

Have You Been Chased By A Dog Before? Share Your Experience. / Five Important Things To Consider Before Getting A Pet - Dr. Jacob Frydman / Is It Necessary To Keep A Local Dog First Before Getting A Highbreed Dog? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Questions You Need To Answer Before Getting A Dog by petsarena: 2:29pm On Jun 27, 2017
There are a lot of questions you need to answer before getting a dog.These questions shouldn’t be taken lightly since you are bringing a member of the family that will be staying with you for a long time . Owning a dog needs a lot of time, money, and commitment – over 15 years worth, in many instances. Dog ownership comes with enormous responsibility.

Here are some things to consider before buying a dog and you need to ask your self these questions

Why Do I Need A Dog?
This is one of the questions you need to ask yourself before buying or adopting a dog. Generally there are a lot of reasons why you may buy a dog. Getting a dog just should not be because your children have been disturbing for a puppy or because your friend just got a cute dog and you feel like getting one as well. Remember that you will be responsible for caring for your new family member for up to 10 years or more.

Can I Create Enough Time For A Dog?

Dogs are social animals that live in packs and once you buy one, you automatically becomes part of his new pack. They also crave for company of their pack members , so you cannot ignore her just because you’re busy or too tired. She needs a lot of care, which includes feeding, exercising, and socializing every day. Many wonderful dogs end up in shelters because their owners didn’t have the time to train and care for them.

Can I Afford The Cost Of Keeping Dog?

The costs of buying and keeping can be very high for a dog throughout her life. These cost include cost of purchase,healthcare,feeding,grooming, toys, treats, boarding, and other expenses .You need to brace up to foot the bills that accrue from getting a dog,you must be willing to spend huge money on these things otherwise you may end up punishing and losing the long in no distance time.

Can I Face The Challenges Associated With Dog Ownership?

Owning a puppy or an adult has associated problems which include health-related emergencies, certain damage to your personal belongings, fecal littering around the house especially when bringing up a puppy, or any dog not yet house trained.

Does My Rental Situation Allow Me To Own A Dog?

Some rental properties, even estates have a number of restrictions on keeping dogs. Some rental agreements do not allow certain breeds or size of dog to be kept in the property. Be sure you read your lease agreement or consult with your housing association before you bring a dog home to live with you.

Will My Family Structure Favour Getting A Dog?

If you have young children probably under 6 years of age,it’s better to wait for a few years before getting a dog. Dogs can be pretty energetic and overwhelming for many young kids; children also need to be mature enough to care correctly for the dog.

If you travel a lot for your job or a student with a demanding schedule, or are in the military, you need to wait until you settle down to getting a dog.

Can The Dog Fit Into My Living Environment?

The dog’s size relative to the size of your living space is not the only factor to think about here. Small dogs such as terriers, for example, are active and need a lot of exercise to be calm. Many small dogs tend to bark at any noise, which could be a problem for you, or for your neighbors. On the flip side, there are some big dogs who are very mellow and quite happy to sleep on the couch all day. Do some research into what different dogs need to make sure that your living situation is suitable, and that the dog you want fits into your current lifestyle.

Do I Have Someone To Look After Her In My Absence?

Think about the people you know who have or love dogs, and would be reliable enough to take care of your dogs when you are not around. Also consider doing some research on good boarding facilities or a pet-sitting service in your vicinity.

What Breed or Mixed Breed Do I Get?
This is another important questions you need to ask yourself before getting a dog. One of the biggest mistakes a prospective dog owner can make is choosing a dog based on its appearance. You need to research the breeds or breed mixes you’re interested in, and don’t expect your dog to be the exception to the breed’s typical temperament.

A herding breed like an Australian Shepherd, for example, may not be the best pet for an apartment dweller, and a sighthound such as a greyhound, may not be a good match for a home with cats.

Should I Get A Puppy Or An Adult?

Keep in mind that a dog’s personality and temperament is partially shaped through genetics, so even a perfectly raised puppy may have its own set of issues as an adult. It’s also important to decide whether you’re prepared for the responsibility of raising the near-equivalent of a human baby.

You have to be prepared for barking, whining, pooping, peeing, and chewing associated with puppies.

Adult dogs have a more developed personality and potty less often as a puppy, they too can come with some behavioral issues, that is why you need to buy a properly house trained adult that has least behavioral issues.

How Do I Pick The Right Dog?

You have to be serious when getting a dog since you are making a long-term commitment, and you want to choose a dog that will be a mutually good fit.

Get in touch with a responsible breeder, veterinary doctor and learn more about the dogs they have available for sale or adoption. and check if it is right dog for you.

Getting a dog can be an emotional one, but it’s important to think with your head, and not just your heart and try to consult a veterinary doctor or a responsible trainer before getting one.
Source:http://petsarena.com.ng/2017/06/questions-you-need-to-answer-before-getting-a-dog/

Re: Questions You Need To Answer Before Getting A Dog by Nutase: 2:42pm On Jun 27, 2017
angry
Re: Questions You Need To Answer Before Getting A Dog by Camlot000007: 2:55pm On Jun 27, 2017
See front page material
Re: Questions You Need To Answer Before Getting A Dog by Oluwasaeon(m): 3:09pm On Jun 27, 2017
Good job op
Re: Questions You Need To Answer Before Getting A Dog by Nobody: 3:14pm On Jun 27, 2017
Nice one op
Re: Questions You Need To Answer Before Getting A Dog by cruzydal(m): 6:35pm On Jun 27, 2017
[/b]ARE MY NEIGHBOURS CALABAR PEOPLE[b]
Re: Questions You Need To Answer Before Getting A Dog by dsmpetsitting: 10:31pm On Dec 29, 2019
petsarena:
Great post and couldn't agree more. We own a pet sitting services des moines and we sometimes run into people who are questionable dog owners and sometimes overhear people thinking about getting a pet or gifting a pet to someone, but not asking the proper questions first. Being a pet owner is a huge responsibility and important that people do research beforehand.
Re: Questions You Need To Answer Before Getting A Dog by daniecrown06(m): 11:16pm On Jan 01, 2020
I read this post from beginning to the end, very educative.

(1) (Reply)

Parvo Treating Drug / Female Lhasa Apso Available For A New Home / Urgent!! I Need A Dog Trainer In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.