Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,058 members, 7,859,817 topics. Date: Thursday, 13 June 2024 at 07:28 PM

Why Married Ladies Won't Drop Their Father's Name. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Married Ladies Won't Drop Their Father's Name. (2313 Views)

10 Reasons Why Married Men Cheat / Why Married Men Prefer Us To Their Wives - Commercial Sex Workers / 7 Reasons Why Married Men Sleep With Their House Helps (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Married Ladies Won't Drop Their Father's Name. by Maximus85(m): 8:08pm On Jun 28, 2017
It makes me wonder. Our mothers aren't bearing their father's name.

Now we have a lady, married bearing Atinuke Oguntade Johnson.

Oguntade her father's name and Johnson her husband's name.

What is behind this Pls. Share your opinion.

As for me, my wife will not still carry her Father's name.

I hope this go front page.

Admins abeg
Re: Why Married Ladies Won't Drop Their Father's Name. by engrMikemd(m): 8:19pm On Jun 28, 2017
it's a no no for me

3 Likes

Re: Why Married Ladies Won't Drop Their Father's Name. by Maximus85(m): 8:23pm On Jun 28, 2017
engrMikemd:
it's a no no for me

I felt I was the only one.
Re: Why Married Ladies Won't Drop Their Father's Name. by Khonifer: 8:32pm On Jun 28, 2017
We both know that women who don't drop their father's name are the minority, so you probably not have anything to worry about.

Now I'm wondering. Does keeping her father's name make a woman less married to her man?

7 Likes

Re: Why Married Ladies Won't Drop Their Father's Name. by Biodun37: 8:33pm On Jun 28, 2017
A woman is permitted to retain her father's name as surname even without adding that of her husband (Islamic view pls.)

6 Likes

Re: Why Married Ladies Won't Drop Their Father's Name. by Maximus85(m): 8:39pm On Jun 28, 2017
Biodun37:
A woman is permitted to retain her father's name as surname even without adding that of her husband (Islamic view pls.)

Wow, Strange.
Re: Why Married Ladies Won't Drop Their Father's Name. by sbm060(m): 8:45pm On Jun 28, 2017
What now the use of couples wanting to give birth to a male child to prolong there surname

1 Like

Re: Why Married Ladies Won't Drop Their Father's Name. by sbm060(m): 8:45pm On Jun 28, 2017
What now the use of couples wanting to give birth to a male child to prolong there surname
Re: Why Married Ladies Won't Drop Their Father's Name. by twosquare(m): 9:05pm On Jun 28, 2017
It has always been like that since pre-colonial times. The coming of colonialism changed the rules that a woman must bear the name of her husband. Nothing special if she does or not in this age, what matters is the vow and faithfulness to it. In pre-colonial times, she is simply Ifeoma, or Yetunde, daughter of Okonkwo, wife to Obinna/ daughter of Ogungbenle, Wife to Seun (Palm wine tapper).

7 Likes

Re: Why Married Ladies Won't Drop Their Father's Name. by SirVintageCock: 9:14pm On Jun 28, 2017
Take care of her well and you will see her shedding both her first, second and third names like snake wey dey shed im skin. She will even shed all her given name and chose yours instead, like Mrs Maximus85 Nairaland or some sh!t like that.

Stop whining over sh!t that will give you prolong headaches or stroke. You are sounding as if you are buying a pet dog or som'g that MUST bear some name chosen by the owner cos that's how it has always been

14 Likes

Re: Why Married Ladies Won't Drop Their Father's Name. by Maximus85(m): 9:30pm On Jun 28, 2017
SirVintageCock:
Take care of her well and you will see her shedding both her first, second and third names like snake wey dey shed im skin. She will even shed all her given name and chose yours instead, like Mrs Maximus85 Nairaland or some sh!t like that.

Stop whining over sh!t that will give you prolong headaches or stroke. You are sounding as if you are buying a pet dog or som'g that MUST bear some name chosen by the owner cos that's how it has always been

Some people talk just because they have to say something. We've heard you sir. You're welcome.

1 Like

Re: Why Married Ladies Won't Drop Their Father's Name. by SirVintageCock: 9:33pm On Jun 28, 2017
Maximus85:

Some people talk just because they have to say something. We've heard you sir. You're welcome.
you lack the ability to comprehend issues.
Did you open this thread to rant and vent or to have meaningful discussion

5 Likes

Re: Why Married Ladies Won't Drop Their Father's Name. by Maximus85(m): 9:50pm On Jun 28, 2017
SirVintageCock:
you lack the ability to comprehend issues.
Did you open this thread to rant and vent or to have meaningful discussion

OK sir. Let's see the opinions of others sir.
Re: Why Married Ladies Won't Drop Their Father's Name. by DarkRebel69: 11:04pm On Jun 28, 2017
twosquare:
It has always been like that since pre-colonial times. The coming of colonialism changed the rules that a woman must bear the name of her husband. Nothing special if she does or not in this age, what matters is the vow and faithfulness to it. In pre-colonial times, she is simply Ifeoma, or Yetunde, daughter of Okonkwo, wife to Obinna/ daughter of Ogungbenle, Wife to Seun (Palm wine tapper).

Funnily enough, I had this self-same “surname” argle-bargle with a Nairalander, in this same section and sometime around last year. I presented to him that which bore striking similitude to what you've written. I served it to him in a varied number of ways, exhausted every blessed angle on the subject. But the insufferable dullard was too arrogant, too set in his ways, and had his empty head too far sunk in his arse. If I'm not mistaken, I think that must have been the day I gave up on humanity.

England, for example, began to adopt surnames only around the 12th century. In other words, in the years prior to the 1100s, the concept of surnames was virtually non-existent in the very country that imported unto our shores the self-same concept of “wives having to make a tradeoff between their father and husband's surname”.

But, like the Africans we are, we always strive to outdo our colonial masters in their own ways. Pfft!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Married Ladies Won't Drop Their Father's Name. by twosquare(m): 11:17pm On Jun 28, 2017
DarkRebel69:

Funnily enough, I had this self-same “surname” argle-bargle with a Nairalander, in this same section and sometime around last year. I presented to him that which bore striking similitude to what you've written. I served it to him in a varied number of ways, exhausted every blessed angle on the subject. But the insufferable dullard was too arrogant, too set in his ways, and had his empty head too far sunk in his arse. If I'm not mistaken, I think that must have been the day I gave up on humanity.

England, for example, began to adopt surnames only around the 12th century. In other words, in the years prior to the 1100s, the concept of surnames was virtually non-existent in the very country that imported unto our shores the self-same concept of “wives having to make a tradeoff between their father and husband's surname”.

But, like the Africans we are, we always strive to outdo our colonizers in their own ways. Pfft.

Humm, I can understand your frustration on trying to make some people see the truth and light, yet they can't see due to the influences of colonialism becoming traditions in Africa.

1 Like

Re: Why Married Ladies Won't Drop Their Father's Name. by Nobody: 5:58am On Jun 29, 2017
Maximus85:

Wow, Strange.

What's strange about that, is there anywhere in the Bible that says a woman should drop her father's name?

3 Likes

Re: Why Married Ladies Won't Drop Their Father's Name. by Antina(f): 8:40am On Jun 29, 2017
Biodun37:

Yeske!!

2 Likes

Re: Why Married Ladies Won't Drop Their Father's Name. by jashar(f): 9:48am On Jun 29, 2017
Name change or not, are you married or not? undecided

ki ni big deal.... how does the name change affect the outcome of the marriage?

4 Likes

Re: Why Married Ladies Won't Drop Their Father's Name. by joyAA(f): 10:16am On Jun 29, 2017
Haha haha haha haha
What's in a name really

I know someone whose hobby insisted she not only use his surname but his first name also!

So she bears something like Mrs Adekemi Oluwafemi Coker undecided
For wetin na

When she is not a pet

A woman should be free to choose if she will retain her papas name or not

We all know the children will bear their own fathers name

Its just a name and should not be a big deal really

I even know of a grandpa who calls his wife by the shortened form of her maiden name till date (well, he's passed on actually) and he was the only one who called her by that name.

So it shouldn't b a concern to give you sleepless nights Sir wink
Re: Why Married Ladies Won't Drop Their Father's Name. by eyinjuege: 11:07am On Jun 29, 2017
Much ado about nothing.

Most women are fine with it, but If a woman doesn't want to, no big deal to be honest.
It's got its pros and cons.

Some women e.g Dangote's children will probably be bearing their father's name( it's not an issue amongst Hausa Muslims anyway). The name will open q lot of doors for them.
Some women like Zahra will bear their husband's name. Indimi is equally a powerful name.
Some women would bear their father's names because they can't be bothered to start doing change of name. Some don't even have a marriage certificate, so how do they go about changing the name on their passports, work, and other official documents? It's just easier, and less of a headache if all your documents (school etc) have the same name.
However, some would change their names so that when they travel as a family abroad, getting visas will be easier, you won't be questioned specially by immigration if you and your children have separate names etc.

2 Likes

Re: Why Married Ladies Won't Drop Their Father's Name. by MissIndependent(f): 12:16pm On Jun 29, 2017
eyinjuege:
Much ado about nothing.

Most women are fine with it, but If a woman doesn't want to, no big deal to be honest.
It's got its pros and cons.

Some women e.g Dangote's children will probably be bearing their father's name( it's not an issue amongst Hausa Muslims anyway). The name will open q lot of doors for them.
Some women like Zahra will bear their husband's name. Indomie is equally a powerful name.
To me I guess it will have to be an agreement between both parties(couples) cos some men carry this matter for head o while some don't. Lol
Re: Why Married Ladies Won't Drop Their Father's Name. by ImaIma1(f): 1:12pm On Jun 29, 2017
I gave up my middle name and surname. ..lol.

My middle name was my dads first name anyway (cultural practice). So my husband's first name is now my middle name...complicated shiit
Re: Why Married Ladies Won't Drop Their Father's Name. by yvelchstores(f): 3:09pm On Jun 29, 2017
I can't even remember what it was like answering my father's name before marriage. I took my husbands name after marriage, I haven't looked back since. D only time I remember my father's name is when I see my bank details or international passport. I don't like complication, why prolong matter? One person will answer (for example) Gift nwadike Okoroafor. Extreme hardcore names. Abeg.
Re: Why Married Ladies Won't Drop Their Father's Name. by Nobody: 11:08pm On Jun 30, 2017
"what is in a name? that which we call a rose by any other word would smell as sweet"

William Shakespeare

1 Like

Re: Why Married Ladies Won't Drop Their Father's Name. by Sterope(f): 4:32am On Jul 01, 2017
Is that even a question? smiley

quote author=Khonifer post=57932185]We both know that women who don't drop their father's name are the minority, so you probably not have anything to worry about.

Now I'm wondering. Does keeping her father's name make a woman less married to her man?[/quote]

1 Like

Re: Why Married Ladies Won't Drop Their Father's Name. by eyinjuege: 6:06am On Jul 01, 2017
yvelchstores:
I can't even remember what it was like answering my father's name before marriage. I took my husbands name after marriage, I haven't looked back since. D only time I remember my father's name is when I see my bank details or international passport. I don't like complication, why prolong matter? One person will answer (for example) Gift nwadike Okoroafor. Extreme hardcore names. Abeg.

Sorry, just want to clarify something, but how come your int passport and bank still have your father's name and you say you're bearing your husband's name?
If you are apply for a postgraduate program abroad, and register with your husband's name, how do you prove you're the said person if your passport still bears a different surname?

1 Like

Re: Why Married Ladies Won't Drop Their Father's Name. by Acidosis(m): 6:17am On Jul 01, 2017
A lot of people do not see the bigger picture. Yes, it is true that names do not affect anything, no one will die by simply deciding to retain a father's name. However, a woman who's bold enough to challenge a "precolonial" trend (according to a poster) will challenge many other things, including submission, loyalty, food, respect, even se. x.

We all know this isn't about the name only. A lot of people who retain their father's names do not see themselves staying with their partner till death. It's simply a strategy to avoid complications when either of the party decides to walk away. Let's stop pretending and acting ignorant. Name won't kill anyone but the issue is far larger than mere names.
Re: Why Married Ladies Won't Drop Their Father's Name. by Acidosis(m): 6:21am On Jul 01, 2017
jashar:
Name change or not, are you married or not? undecided

ki ni big deal.... how does the name change affect the outcome of the marriage?

Help me ask them o, how does lack of s. ex or cheating affects a marriage?

Just common cheating

grin grin
Re: Why Married Ladies Won't Drop Their Father's Name. by yvelchstores(f): 6:31am On Jul 01, 2017
eyinjuege:

Sorry, just want to clarify something, but how come your int passport and bank still have your father's name and you say you're bearing your husband's name?
If you are apply for a postgraduate program abroad, and register with your husband's name, how do you prove you're the said person if your passport still bears a different surname?
well I had those before marriage. When I want to do a new passport, all I need to do is use my court marriage cert to get change of name at area council. As for bank, I don't care about that one. Thanks for the concern.
Re: Why Married Ladies Won't Drop Their Father's Name. by Nobody: 2:31pm On Jul 01, 2017
Acidosis:
A lot of people do not see the bigger picture. Yes, it is true that names do not affect anything, no one will die by simply deciding to retain a father's name. However, a woman who's bold enough to challenge a "precolonial" trend (according to a poster) will challenge many other things, including submission, loyalty, food, respect, even se. x.

We all know this isn't about the name only. A lot of people who retain their father's names do not see themselves staying with their partner till death. It's simply a strategy to avoid complications when either of the party decides to walk away. Let's stop pretending and acting ignorant. Name won't kill anyone but the issue is far larger than mere names.

Can we all do what works for us and let others have rest?

OP, there's no need trying to force anything down people's throat. People are different and so are there reasons for wanting to change their name or not.

3 Likes

Re: Why Married Ladies Won't Drop Their Father's Name. by jashar(f): 7:15pm On Jul 01, 2017
Acidosis:

Help me ask them o, how does lack of s. ex or cheating affects a marriage?

Just common cheating

grin grin
Re: Why Married Ladies Won't Drop Their Father's Name. by Nobody: 9:11pm On Jul 01, 2017
NairaSand:

Can we all do what works for us and let others have rest?

OP, there's no need trying to force anything down people's throat. People are different and so are there reasons for wanting to change their name or not.

"masculinity so fragile "

imagine him equating retaining maiden name with cheating and denying sex

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Two Men Kill Their Elder Brother After He Assaulted Their Mother Over Food / Mothers, Trust Us Please! / I Married A Devils Incarnate: Am Been Very Sincere Nt Fables

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.