Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,728 members, 7,809,775 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:42 PM

Candido Joao Da Rocha: Nigeria's First Millionaire - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Candido Joao Da Rocha: Nigeria's First Millionaire (56411 Views)

Meet Nigeria’s First Millionaire Candido Da Rocha Who Did Sent His Clothes To Br / Meet Nigeria’s First Millionaire Candido Da Rocha Who Did Sent His Clothes To Br / JOAO DA ROCHA. Nigeria First Millionaire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Candido Joao Da Rocha: Nigeria's First Millionaire by Mc4larin: 3:07pm On Jun 30, 2017
Have you ever asked any of your parents for money, especially continuously, and they gave you this reply: “Do you think I’m da Rocha?”

Well, I experienced it and growing up, I never knew the meaning of the statement, until I came across a book a friend gave me, when I stumbled on the name “Candido da Rocha”.

He was a rich man who would, from the balcony of his one-storey building, throw down coins to children who would, in a tangle of bodies and flapping hands, struggle for them. So, I remembered vividly why my parents denies being “a da Rocha” anytime I ask for monies I don’t literally need as a child.

Also known as Nigeria’s first millionaire, he was a rich entrepreneur, businessman, landowner and creditor who owned Water House or Casa d’Agua on Kakawa Street, Lagos Island, Lagos. It was named Water House because it was the first and only house in Lagos in those days to have a borehole and in turn sell water to the residents.

Candido da Rocha, a native of Ilesha, present day, Osun State, was born to the family of Joao Esan da Rocha, who was captured as a slave when he was 10 years old on his way to school in Ilesha. Candido was born in the Bahia region of Brazil. His mother was Angelica Josephina da Rocha. His father returned to Lagos, Nigeria in the 1870’s where he built his wealth and passed it to his son, Candido.
Due to his wealth, his friend, Herbert Macaulay, nominated him as a candidate in one of the elections of the time. And when da Rocha met the electorate, he told them: “I am Candido da Rocha, your candidate into the House. Vote for me if you like. And if you don’t, all well and good.” That statement ended his sojourn in politics as he lost the elections with acquiring just 20 votes.
Indeed, da Rocha was a very modest and generous capitalist.

During the Second World War (1939 - 1945), when the authorities of Kings College were looking for a place to relocate the students in the boarding house – among whom were Tiamiyu Bello-Osagie, who would become one of Nigeria’s most celebrated gynaecologists; Adenekan Ademola, son of Nigeria’s first indigenous Chief Justice, Adetokunbo Ademola; Dapo Aderemi, son of Sir Adesoji Aderemi, the legendary Onni of Ile-Ife – da Rocha volunteered his Bonanza Hotel on Customs Street, Lagos, and did not collect a dime for the period it was used.
Even after the war, when government asked influential Nigerians to contribute to the rehabilitations fund, he made substantial donations and he instructed that the amount should not be disclosed to the public.
Despite his wealth and political clout, no street in Lagos is named after him. Candido da Rocha died in 1959 and his remains lies at the Ikoyi Cemetery

Credits: Ayomide Akinbode

Candido Joao Da Rocha ( 1860 - March 11, 1959)[1][2] was a Nigerian businessman, landowner and creditor who owned Water House on Kakawa Street, Lagos Island, Lagos, and was the proprietor of the now defunct Bonanza Hotel in Lagos. Da Rocha, a native of Ilesha, was born to the family of Joao Esan Da Rocha, a former slave;[3] his father was 10 years old when he was captured as a slave in about 1840 and Candido was born in the Bahia region of Brazil.[4]

Left is Joao Esan and right is Candido as a young boy with his mother, Angelica
Candido is the brother of Moses Da Rocha, one of the earliest Western-trained Nigerian doctors. He lived in Water House on Kakawa Street, Lagos, a house built by his father. The home was commemorated in literature by a novel, The Water House, written by Antonio Olinto. The house had a borehole and the first water fountain in Lagos Island; water was sold from his house to consumers. Some of his business interests included a restaurant called The Restaurant Da Rocha[5] and Sierra Leone Deep Sea Fishing Industries Ltd. He collaborated with Lagos businessmen J. H. Doherty and Sedu Williams on a money lending business established under the name of the Lagos Native Bank. He was a founding member of the Lagos auxiliary to the Anti Slavery and Aborigines Right Society which was headed by James Johnson and had Samuel Pearse and Sapara Williams as members.[6]

Da Rocha died in 1959 and is buried at Ikoyi Cemetery.[2] Among his children were Alexander Da Rocha, Adenike Afodu, Angelica Folashade Thomas and Louissa Turton.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Darocha_Esan.jpg

60 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Candido Joao Da Rocha: Nigeria's First Millionaire by Modsenemy(f): 3:39pm On Jun 30, 2017

Even after the war, when government asked influential Nigerians to contribute to the rehabilitations fund, he made substantial donations and he instructed that the amount should not be disclosed to the public.
Despite his wealth and political clout, no street in Lagos is named after him. Candido da Rocha died in 1959 and his remains lies at the Ikoyi Cemetery

These days , if someone gives another ordinary 20k , it would be annouced all over the social media platforms and to crown it all , they will claim to have launched a charity foundation .

I didn't mention names but they are all over Instagram .

Lalasticlala this is more informative than mercy and tonto

167 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Candido Joao Da Rocha: Nigeria's First Millionaire by Nobody: 3:46pm On Jun 30, 2017
sure

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Candido Joao Da Rocha: Nigeria's First Millionaire by Nobody: 4:04pm On Jun 30, 2017
Mc4larin:
Have you ever asked any of your parents for money, especially continuously, and they gave you this reply: “Do you think I’m da Rocha?”
Well, I experienced it and growing up, I never knew the meaning of the statement, until I came across a book a friend gave me, when I stumbled on the name “Candido da Rocha”.
He was a rich man who would, from the balcony of his one-storey building, throw down coins to children who would, in a tangle of bodies and flapping hands, struggle for them. So, I remembered vividly why my parents denies being “a da Rocha” anytime I ask for monies I don’t literally need as a child.
Also known as Nigeria’s first millionaire, he was a rich entrepreneur, businessman, landowner and creditor who owned Water House or Casa d’Agua on Kakawa Street, Lagos Island, Lagos. It was named Water House because it was the first and only house in Lagos in those days to have a borehole and in turn sell water to the residents.
Candido da Rocha, a native of Ilesha, present day, Osun State, was born to the family of Joao Esan da Rocha, who was captured as a slave when he was 10 years old on his way to school in Ilesha. Candido was born in the Bahia region of Brazil. His mother was Angelica Josephina da Rocha. His father returned to Lagos, Nigeria in the 1870’s where he built his wealth and passed it to his son, Candido.
Due to his wealth, his friend, Herbert Macaulay, nominated him as a candidate in one of the elections of the time. And when da Rocha met the electorate, he told them: “I am Candido da Rocha, your candidate into the House. Vote for me if you like. And if you don’t, all well and good.” That statement ended his sojourn in politics as he lost the elections with acquiring just 20 votes.
During the Second World War (1939 - 1945), when the authorities of Kings College were looking for a place to relocate the students in the boarding house – among whom were Tiamiyu Bello-Osagie, who would become one of Nigeria’s most celebrated gynaecologists; Adenekan Ademola, son of Nigeria’s first indigenous Chief Justice, Adetokunbo Ademola; Dapo Aderemi, son of Sir Adesoji Aderemi, the legendary Onni of Ile-Ife – da Rocha volunteered his Bonanza Hotel on Customs Street, Lagos, and did not collect a dime for the period it was used.

Is that the photograph of Candido?
Re: Candido Joao Da Rocha: Nigeria's First Millionaire by HenryWilliams(m): 4:07pm On Jun 30, 2017
That picture..
Looks a lot like Pablo Escobar..

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Candido Joao Da Rocha: Nigeria's First Millionaire by Blackfire(m): 5:41pm On Jun 30, 2017
More reason we should be humble when we are rich.... Many had it before us..

28 Likes

Re: Candido Joao Da Rocha: Nigeria's First Millionaire by robosky02(m): 6:17pm On Jun 30, 2017
YOU DONT MEAN IT grin

1 Like

Re: Candido Joao Da Rocha: Nigeria's First Millionaire by Edopesin: 6:18pm On Jun 30, 2017
i dnt knw him undecided

2 Likes

Re: Candido Joao Da Rocha: Nigeria's First Millionaire by MrDandy(m): 6:18pm On Jun 30, 2017
Candido da Rocha, a native of Ilesha, present day, Osun State, was born to the family of Joao Esan da Rocha, who was captured as a slave when he was 10 years old on his way to school in Ilesha.

when it comes to setting records, I know it'll surely be an Oduduwa boy #afonjasthegreat

[img]http:///media/11-24-2015/a3dNU0.gif[/img]

246 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Candido Joao Da Rocha: Nigeria's First Millionaire by lonelydora: 6:19pm On Jun 30, 2017
Having borehole in his house as of then showed he lacked confidence in the government and knew they won't provide water for him and the environ.

No bi today Nigeria spoil shaa.

33 Likes

Re: Candido Joao Da Rocha: Nigeria's First Millionaire by teewai3(m): 6:19pm On Jun 30, 2017
Okay
Re: Candido Joao Da Rocha: Nigeria's First Millionaire by MrPresident1: 6:19pm On Jun 30, 2017
Him like to dey chop monkoto (corrupted to Brokoto). That hind part of the leg of the cow, you sabi am now grin

1 Like

Re: Candido Joao Da Rocha: Nigeria's First Millionaire by Evablizin(f): 6:20pm On Jun 30, 2017
Make brain
Re: Candido Joao Da Rocha: Nigeria's First Millionaire by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:20pm On Jun 30, 2017
This is a nice and very informative piece. Beautifully historical.... smiley

And somehow, all the while, I was made to believe that Louis Odumegwu Ojukwu (father of Emeka Ojukwu) was Nigeria's first acknowledged millionaire.....
He was also the first president of the Nigerian stock exchange.

Well... I guess that places Louis Second behind Da Rocha..... wink

So thanks for the history class Op. Very helpful.

24 Likes

Re: Candido Joao Da Rocha: Nigeria's First Millionaire by spartan117(m): 6:21pm On Jun 30, 2017
NCAN reporting live from the 1950's via time machine technology
Name: Jao da Rocha
Region: south west
Roof: brown
Tribe: afonja

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Candido Joao Da Rocha: Nigeria's First Millionaire by Jetleeee: 6:21pm On Jun 30, 2017
Nice one

5 Likes

Re: Candido Joao Da Rocha: Nigeria's First Millionaire by Sapiosexuality(m): 6:22pm On Jun 30, 2017
How did you arrive at the first millionaire claim? Who did the survey?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Candido Joao Da Rocha: Nigeria's First Millionaire by eitsei(m): 6:22pm On Jun 30, 2017
we need history back in our curriculum

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Candido Joao Da Rocha: Nigeria's First Millionaire by Nobody: 6:22pm On Jun 30, 2017
Very interesting story.

Liked the bit where he housed Kings College Students without collecting money. If na today....

2 Likes

Re: Candido Joao Da Rocha: Nigeria's First Millionaire by Nobody: 6:22pm On Jun 30, 2017
Mc4larin:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Darocha_Esan.jpg

U people just wake up and make someone the 1st millionaire in nigeria.

13 Likes

Re: Candido Joao Da Rocha: Nigeria's First Millionaire by Homeboiy: 6:23pm On Jun 30, 2017
He was a very hood friend of my grandfather

2 Likes

Re: Candido Joao Da Rocha: Nigeria's First Millionaire by Generalyemi(m): 6:23pm On Jun 30, 2017
ok
Re: Candido Joao Da Rocha: Nigeria's First Millionaire by Ezechionye: 6:24pm On Jun 30, 2017
criminal
Re: Candido Joao Da Rocha: Nigeria's First Millionaire by temmypotter(m): 6:24pm On Jun 30, 2017
not only does his name look and sound like the name of a Columbian or Mexican drug cartel lord, He also actually bears quite the semblance to Pablo Escobar especially Pablo's mugshot picture

2 Likes

Re: Candido Joao Da Rocha: Nigeria's First Millionaire by ALAYORMII: 6:25pm On Jun 30, 2017
Da Rocha

Have heard the name many times especially when referring to people that live extravagant lifestyle

4 Likes

Re: Candido Joao Da Rocha: Nigeria's First Millionaire by mjbaba: 6:25pm On Jun 30, 2017
OHKKKKKKKK!!!! This is d person my Ma was always refering to as "Da Rosa"

23 Likes

Re: Candido Joao Da Rocha: Nigeria's First Millionaire by Generalyemi(m): 6:25pm On Jun 30, 2017
MrDandy:

when it comes to setting records, I know it'll surely be an Oduduwa boy

the first shall be d last

[img]http:///media/11-24-2015/a3dNU0.gif[/img]

.the first shall be d last
Re: Candido Joao Da Rocha: Nigeria's First Millionaire by Nobody: 6:25pm On Jun 30, 2017
"I am Candido da Rocha, your candidate into the House. Vote for me if you like. And if you don’t, all well and good"

Know thyself! Bravo.

18 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Is Importing From China Better Than Buying From Lagos? / New Trend On Forex Indicators: Amazing Forex Strategy / Nigerians Must Begin To Overcome The Fear Of Becoming An Entrepreneur Now!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.