Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,754 members, 7,813,481 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:52 PM

Herbicide For Cassava Farm - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Herbicide For Cassava Farm (8653 Views)

I Need Selective Herbicide For Yam Crops / Weeding Machines For Cassava Farms For Sale!! / Herbicide To Control Weed In Maize Farming. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Herbicide For Cassava Farm by kingralph(m): 3:25pm On Jun 30, 2017
Hello everyone. Please I am in serious need of information on which herbicide is effective for controlling weeds on my cassava farm. The farm is quite massive hence manual Labour would be costly.
It's urgent please
Re: Herbicide For Cassava Farm by yomie040(m): 3:40pm On Jun 30, 2017
how old are your cassava now?
Re: Herbicide For Cassava Farm by kingralph(m): 3:45pm On Jun 30, 2017
yomie040:
how old are your casshava now?
They are about 6 weeks old and doing very well only that the weeds are restricting their optimum growth
Re: Herbicide For Cassava Farm by soil9: 6:09pm On Jun 30, 2017
kingralph:
Hello everyone. Please I am in serious need of information on which herbicide is effective for controlling weeds on my cassava farm. The farm is quite massive hence manual Labour would be costly.
It's urgent please
buy xtraforce for pre-emergence weed control or double force for post-emergence control from jubaili agrotec. send a mail to technical.abuja@jubailiagrotec.com for enquiries
Re: Herbicide For Cassava Farm by soil9: 6:11pm On Jun 30, 2017
kingralph:

They are about 6 weeks old and doing very well only that the weeds are restricting their optimum growth
get double force and apply by direct spraying
Re: Herbicide For Cassava Farm by kingralph(m): 9:24pm On Jun 30, 2017
soil9:
Thanks soil9. Are you also a farmer? Is there any way I can contact you?
Re: Herbicide For Cassava Farm by OluchiDelly: 9:32pm On Jun 30, 2017
soil9:

Is the double force also selective to maize? I mean cassava farm intercrop with maize.
Re: Herbicide For Cassava Farm by kingralph(m): 10:07pm On Jun 30, 2017
OluchiDelly:

Is the double force also selective to maize? I mean cassava farm intercrop with maize.
I spoke on phone with soil9. He says it is not selective to Maize but only cassava. Are you also a farmer. Maybe we can meet and exchange ideas and progress report
Re: Herbicide For Cassava Farm by yomie040(m): 11:28pm On Jun 30, 2017
soil9:
what is the active ingredient in this double force?
Re: Herbicide For Cassava Farm by yomie040(m): 11:35pm On Jun 30, 2017
kingralph:

Visit any agro store and ask for fusilade or any herbicide with fusipop-buty as the active ingredient and apply as direct spray.
Re: Herbicide For Cassava Farm by Nobody: 1:46am On Jul 01, 2017
Brother, please use any contact herbicide preferably paraquat.
Reason: it kills only the part of plant it touches. Secondly since the farm is about 6weeks old it is the best time to use paraquat.
You said the farm is intercropped with maize so do target spraying..how?.. spray only weeds and any big weed should be bent out of the crop pack with nozzle or your booth and sprayed.
Note: after spraying follow up with fertilizer application on the 8th week. During the fertilizer application any weed not killed during the spaying (may be due to being too close to crop)would be hand-pulled .At 10th week see your crop canopy will stunt any other stubborn weed by denying it light.

You may also consider reading: https://splashagro./2017/06/16/cassava-weed-management-for-rural-farmers/
Na me be happybrother of Splashagro
Re: Herbicide For Cassava Farm by yomie040(m): 8:15am On Jul 01, 2017
happybrother:
Brother, please use any contact herbicide preferably paraquat.
Reason: it kills only the part of plant it touches. Secondly since the farm is about 6weeks old it is the best time to use paraquat.
You said the farm is intercropped with maize so do target spraying..how?.. spray only weeds and any big weed should be bent out of the crop pack with nozzle or your booth and sprayed.
Note: after spraying follow up with fertilizer application on the 8th week. During the fertilizer application any weed not killed during the spaying (may be due to being too close to crop)would be hand-pulled .At 10th week see your crop canopy will stunt any other stubborn weed by denying it light.

You may also consider reading: https://splashagro./2017/06/16/cassava-weed-management-for-rural-farmers/
Na me be happybrother of Splashagro
please do not try this, it is suicidal. At 6 weeks, your cassava are still very tender. No matter how good, its a risk.

1 Like

Re: Herbicide For Cassava Farm by kingralph(m): 8:27am On Jul 01, 2017
This is strange. I have realized that many of the advice given here are not borne out of experience. Agrochemicals sales agents recommend one chemical to you just to make sales hardly rea hard lying efficacy of the chemicals. A sales agent says one thing while another says another thing entirely. True farmers are really having a hard time. I heard of a farmer over here who bought some recommend chemicals only for it to destroy his crops
Farmers in the house please how can I surmount this challenge?
Re: Herbicide For Cassava Farm by yomie040(m): 2:25pm On Jul 01, 2017
kingralph:
This is strange. I have realized that many of the advice given here are not borne out of experience. Agrochemicals sales agents recommend one chemical to you just to make sales hardly rea hard lying efficacy of the chemicals. A sales agent says one thing while another says another thing entirely. True farmers are really having a hard time. I heard of a farmer over here who bought some recommend chemicals only for it to destroy his crops
for any farm issues, i will be glad to help you resolve them. Do not rely on everything a sales agent tells you. Its suicidal.
Re: Herbicide For Cassava Farm by jakesbaba: 4:07pm On Jul 01, 2017
[quote author=yomie040 post=58018565] for any farm issues, i will be glad to help you resolve them. Do not rely on everything a sales agent tells you. Its suicidal.[/quote

Please advice needed. Can I plant maize in July considering the heavy rainfall in the month. Thank you.
Re: Herbicide For Cassava Farm by yomie040(m): 4:25pm On Jul 01, 2017
[quote author=jakesbaba post=58021096][/quote] Where is your location?
Re: Herbicide For Cassava Farm by jakesbaba: 6:00pm On Jul 01, 2017
yomie040:
Where is your location?

Ondo state.
Re: Herbicide For Cassava Farm by yomie040(m): 6:14pm On Jul 01, 2017
[quote author=jakesbaba post=58021096][/quote]
Re: Herbicide For Cassava Farm by yomie040(m): 6:16pm On Jul 01, 2017
jakesbaba:

Ondo state.
yes you can bro
Re: Herbicide For Cassava Farm by soil9: 6:46pm On Jul 01, 2017
kingralph:
your advice here is not far from the truth. however, always consult a technical officers or sales agronomists of any of the big agrochemical companies like jubaili, saro, candel, wacot and African Agro. they provide free agronomic advice on the safe and effective use of their respective products. they are not pressured into meeting sales targets like ordinary salesmen. they conduct on-farm demonstrations, and collaborate with research institutes such as IITA, ICRISAT, IFDC, CIAT, ICARDA, IAR&T e.t.c. farmers should always ensure they read the labels on the products they purchase.
Re: Herbicide For Cassava Farm by soil9: 6:53pm On Jul 01, 2017
yomie040:
Visit any agro store and ask for fusilade or any herbicide with fusipop-buty as the active ingredient and apply as direct spray.
fusillade or StarForce are also selective but would only control grasses. be rest assured that broadleaved weeds would be smiling at you. you can carefully use Bentazone which I doubt will bw available in any market. note that all Aryloxypheoxypropanoite whether, fluazifop p butyl (starforce or fusilade)or haloxyfop p ethyl (e.g Gallant super) will only control grasses
Re: Herbicide For Cassava Farm by soil9: 7:12pm On Jul 01, 2017
yomie040:
what is the active ingredient in this double force?
diuron and paraquat. paraquat kills existing weeds while diuron kills germinating weeds. alternatively, apply diuron alone if the weeds are young and actively because it has some level of early post emergence activity in cassava. paraquat could injure your crop if double force is not applied well
Re: Herbicide For Cassava Farm by yomie040(m): 7:31pm On Jul 01, 2017
soil9:
fusillade or StarForce are also selective but would only control grasses. be rest assured that broadleaved weeds would be smiling at you. you can carefully use Bentazone which I doubt will bw available in any market. note that all Aryloxypheoxypropanoite whether, fluazifop p butyl (starforce or fusilade)or haloxyfop p ethyl (e.g Gallant super) will only control grasses
yes i know but not advicing him to use paraquat. An inexperienced agroprenuer 4 that matter.
Re: Herbicide For Cassava Farm by jakesbaba: 8:48pm On Jul 01, 2017
yomie040:
yes you can bro

Thank you. Hope l can always knock at your door whenever I need advice/info?
Re: Herbicide For Cassava Farm by yomie040(m): 9:49pm On Jul 01, 2017
jakesbaba:

Thank you. Hope l can always knock at your door whenever I need advice/info?
yes you are always welcome, Any time
Re: Herbicide For Cassava Farm by kingralph(m): 5:25pm On Jul 02, 2017
Everyone guess what? I finally made a discovery. Via nairaland I made some contact who eventually told me the best chemical for treating weeds on cassava farm is "force uron". The active ingredient in this chemical is "di-uron". The contact happened to be an agrochemicals supplier who incidentally supplies agrochemicals to the person I buy these chemicals from.. Lol
The funny thing is that my neighbor on the farm who I hardly meet has confirmed to me that it is this chemical he too used to eradicate weeds on his farm
Tomorrow we will try it out unfailingly by God's grace
I will keep the house informed on my progress
Re: Herbicide For Cassava Farm by soil9: 6:34pm On Jul 02, 2017
kingralph:
Everyone guess what? I finally made a discovery. Via nairaland I made some contact who eventually told me the best chemical for treating weeds on cassava farm is "force uron". The active ingredient in this chemical is "di-uron". The contact happened to be an agrochemicals supplier who incidentally supplies agrochemicals to the person I buy these chemicals from.. Lol
The funny thing is that my neighbor on the farm who I hardly meet has confirmed to me that it is this chemical he too used to eradicate weeds on his farm
diuron was mentioned earlier in the conversations. it can be used pre and early post-emergence

1 Like

Re: Herbicide For Cassava Farm by bisam(m): 9:16pm On Jul 02, 2017
Re: Herbicide For Cassava Farm by urbanfarmer(m): 11:15pm On Jul 11, 2017
kingralph:

Hi kigralph, please what's the update on your use of " force uron" herbicide in your Cassava farm? Was it effective against the broadleaf weed as well? What effect did it have on your Cassava crop, and the intercrop Maize?
Looking forward to your response sir.
Re: Herbicide For Cassava Farm by ogb5(m): 7:10am On Mar 15, 2018
soil9:
your advice here is not far from the truth. however, always consult a technical officers or sales agronomists of any of the big agrochemical companies like jubaili, saro, candel, wacot and African Agro. they provide free agronomic advice on the safe and effective use of their respective products. they are not pressured into meeting sales targets like ordinary salesmen. they conduct on-farm demonstrations, and collaborate with research institutes such as IITA, ICRISAT, IFDC, CIAT, ICARDA, IAR&T e.t.c. farmers should always ensure they read the labels on the products they purchase.

This is very good advice
Re: Herbicide For Cassava Farm by Abdullahi4u7(m): 1:00pm On May 26, 2019
kingralph:
Pls tell us how things went with diuron.
Re: Herbicide For Cassava Farm by kripen(m): 8:19am On Jul 05, 2019
Abdullahi4u7:
Pls tell us how things went with diuron.

We have waited for life and still waiting for his update to tell us how it went.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ogun State Revives Dormant Imasayi Cashew Nut Processing Plant / How To Grow Plantain Commercially In Nigeria *pictures* / 2,000 Kano Farmers Dragged To Court For Default On N270 Million Loan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.