Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,962 members, 7,817,821 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:27 PM

M E N D Calls Off Ceasefire -Jomo Gbomo! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / M E N D Calls Off Ceasefire -Jomo Gbomo! (2867 Views)

President Jonathan & Patience At Jomo Kenyatta Airport / Does Jomo Gbomo Really Exist? / Mend (Jomo Gbomo) Speaks About Atlas Cove (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

M E N D Calls Off Ceasefire -Jomo Gbomo! by Sunnybobo3(m): 4:07am On Jan 30, 2010
MEND says after careful consideration and extensive consultation, the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND) today, Saturday, January 30, 2010, has decided to call off a unilateral ceasefire ordered on Sunday, October 25, 2009. This ceasefire was ordered in the hope that the government of Nigeria would consider true dialogue founded on a sincere desire to bring justice to the people of the Niger Delta, and true peace to Nigeria.

Acting like a victor over a conquered people, the government rolled out a list of its plans for the Delta which it assumed would end decades of agitation, promising at the same time to deal with all who remained dissatisfied with its lame effort to re-dress the injustice in the Niger Delta.

It is sufficiently clear at this point in time that the government of Nigeria has no intentions of considering the demands made by this group for the control of the resources and land of the Niger Delta to be reverted to the rightful owners, the people of the Niger Delta.

The government and oil companies believe the spirit of agitation in the Niger Delta has been blown away with the bribing of a few thugs it has labeled stakeholders. They assume giving alms to the youth of the Delta will secure installations.

"Concessions" suggested by the government in its bid to "address" the injustice in the Niger Delta include ceding10% of its stake in the joint venture partnerships to oil producing communities and 9% to other interested Nigerians. This suggestion is preposterous!

The same government that is unable to maintain or repair the death traps called roads or the archaic rail facilities in Nigeria, is promising to build super highways and modern rail lines through the Niger Delta using funds it hopes to realise from divesting 19% of its shares in the joint ventures partnerships.

Which is an oil producing community to the government of Nigeria? The Nigerian government in all its wisdom defines an oil producing community as one where oil installations are sited; where oil is drilled or where flow stations and other facilities relevant to the continued bleeding of the Niger Delta and exportation of its mineral resources are found. Does this government not realise that all surrounding communities are sitting atop the same oil deposits and would be producers if their communities were drilled as well?

By this crude definition, the government will consider Kaduna state and other Northern states where pipelines pass through to the refinery in Kaduna, oil producing states. What gives this government the right to share the resources of the Niger Delta between its cronies in ceding this suggested 19 percent? The Nigerian government claims ownership of the Niger Delta where it dares not do so in the North. The land in the North belongs to Northerners while the Niger Delta belongs to the North as well. Communities in the Niger Delta without installations suffer the effects of gas flaring, spillages amongst others so why does the Nigerian government not consider these communities in all its planning?

http://saharareporters.com/news/4992-mend-calls-off-qceasefireq.html
Re: M E N D Calls Off Ceasefire -Jomo Gbomo! by EzeUche(m): 4:12am On Jan 30, 2010
And so begins the breakup of Nigeria, grin grin grin

The ethnic groups of the south are starting to wake up. Hopefully, our Western counterparts will see the light soon.
Re: M E N D Calls Off Ceasefire -Jomo Gbomo! by ezeagu(m): 4:18am On Jan 30, 2010
The worst thing the Ijaw ever did, and I know this has been repeated over and over, is to murder their 'cousins'. I can understand that the Igbo are very menacing in the sense that once they step into you're land they can take everything over, but it's better dominated by a culture that's practically identical to yours (look at Wales) than another that would . . . . . . bla, bla, bla, look where we are now.

Anyway, all the best to the people who are where the Niger ends.
Re: M E N D Calls Off Ceasefire -Jomo Gbomo! by Beaf: 4:19am On Jan 30, 2010
By this crude definition, the government will consider Kaduna state and other Northern states where pipelines pass through to the refinery in Kaduna, oil producing states. What gives this government the right to share the resources of the Niger Delta between its cronies in ceding this suggested 19 percent? The Nigerian government claims ownership of the Niger Delta where it dares not do so in the North. The land in the North belongs to Northerners while the Niger Delta belongs to the North as well. Communities in the Niger Delta without installations suffer the effects of gas flaring, spillages amongst others so why does the Nigerian government not consider these communities in all its planning?

Of course, some "Nigerians" are more Nigerian than others.
Thank God for MEND.
Re: M E N D Calls Off Ceasefire -Jomo Gbomo! by babapupa: 4:19am On Jan 30, 2010
Who cares? Bunch of clowns,
Re: M E N D Calls Off Ceasefire -Jomo Gbomo! by kosovo(m): 4:20am On Jan 30, 2010
Noise!!!
Re: M E N D Calls Off Ceasefire -Jomo Gbomo! by Beaf: 4:22am On Jan 30, 2010
babapupa:

Who cares? Bunch of clowns,

Very easy to type bullsh!t. . .

@topic
The Niger Delta, South East and SW need to pull out of this prison called Nigeria.
Re: M E N D Calls Off Ceasefire -Jomo Gbomo! by EzeUche(m): 4:24am On Jan 30, 2010
Now I will go as far to say, that these Niger Deltan militants should beg the Ndi Igbo for our support. But, first they need to apologize to us for backstabbing their own 'cousins.'

Then maybe, just maybe we may lend them our support. undecided
Re: M E N D Calls Off Ceasefire -Jomo Gbomo! by Beaf: 4:27am On Jan 30, 2010
EzeUche:

Now I will go as far to say, that these Niger Deltan militants should beg the Ndi Igbo for our support. But, first they need to apologize to us for backstabbing their own 'cousins.'

Then maybe, just maybe we may lend them our support.  undecided

Not all Niger Deltans are Ijaw. Secondly, there have been very high level meetings between South South and Ndigbo concerning Southern politics in Nigeria. That support is not as far off as you think and will be much appreciated.

We need each other.
Re: M E N D Calls Off Ceasefire -Jomo Gbomo! by Nobody: 4:29am On Jan 30, 2010
Beaf forget that talk, this group of folks will not hesitate to remind you how their war with Nigeria is different with the one you had.

So I think any sensible person from the SouthEast understand the need to continue to play a spectator while going about our normal business.
Trust me when I say this, the SouthEast is neither interested nor willing to team up with anybody to engage in any war. Nigeria is such a great place the way it is today, let us all live with it and enjoy it.
Re: M E N D Calls Off Ceasefire -Jomo Gbomo! by EzeUche(m): 4:31am On Jan 30, 2010
Beaf:

Not all Niger Deltans are Ijaw. Secondly, there have been very high level meetings between South South and Ndigbo concerning Southern politics in Nigeria. That support is not as far off as you think and will be much appreciated.

We need each other.

Of course I know that not all Niger Deltans are Ijaw. Frankly, I consider my state, Abia State as part of the Niger Delta as well as Imo State. You also have Urhobos, Itsikeri, Ogoni, Ibibio and a host of other groups that I do not know their name.

I still do not think the Ijaw can be trusted unless the entire Ijaw Nation ask for Igbo backing. Because, without the Ndi Igbo, there struggle will be crushed. The Ijaw know that the Igbos would make a good ally because of our large numbers.
Re: M E N D Calls Off Ceasefire -Jomo Gbomo! by Nobody: 4:33am On Jan 30, 2010
I'd advise Yorubas living in that area to get out of there if they're not in the fraternities (cults) which hold sway in that region.

These people do[b] not[/b] like you- take it or leave it.

you dont know who you're dealing with. undecided
Re: M E N D Calls Off Ceasefire -Jomo Gbomo! by ezeagu(m): 4:33am On Jan 30, 2010
Hot thread coming up. . . . . . .
Re: M E N D Calls Off Ceasefire -Jomo Gbomo! by EzeUche(m): 4:33am On Jan 30, 2010
mikeansy:

So I think any sensible person from the SouthEast understand the need to continue to play a spectator while going about our normal business.
Trust me when I say this, the SouthEast is neither interested nor willing to team up with anybody to engage in any war. Nigeria is such a great place the way it is today, let us all live with it and enjoy it.

Frankly, I would rather have my own nation, but I would rather see the Ijaws and Yoruba fight it out first before the Ndi Igbo get involved in this struggle against the north.

Since the Ndi Igbo are always made the scapegoat, let us just watch and see.  cool

However, if any Igbos are caught in the crossfire, there should be hell to pay!!! And the entire Igbo Nation should rise up and fight any invader.
Re: M E N D Calls Off Ceasefire -Jomo Gbomo! by ezeagu(m): 4:38am On Jan 30, 2010
An Igbo nation would be good for the preservation of culture and language. A 'Biafra' would have English as it's official language, which is just carrying on the colonial agenda. Same goes for an Ijaw and Ekoid nation, unless these people create a confederation.
Re: M E N D Calls Off Ceasefire -Jomo Gbomo! by EzeUche(m): 4:41am On Jan 30, 2010
ezeagu:

An Igbo nation would be good for the preservation of culture and language. A 'Biafra' would have English as it's official language, which is just carrying on the colonial agenda. Same goes for an Ijaw and Ekoid nation, unless these people create a confederation.

I wouldn't mind having a confederation in the southeast. Allow the Ijaws to have control over their oil. Then that will solve their problem. English is widely spoken around the world. Focusing on English is not a sin. It helps us compete in this more globalized world. But we should never forget our culture in the process.
Re: M E N D Calls Off Ceasefire -Jomo Gbomo! by trueword: 4:48am On Jan 30, 2010
well it looks like another piece has been thrown into the chaotic situation in nigeria. now that the niger deltans seem like they will begin to make noise those crooks in the FEC and govt can't keep continue to lie in order to make sure that no one becomes acting president. I'm sure that there are some actions that would need president signature to take place . So now what will those thieves do.

Instead of these militants to be blowing up oil installations, I suggest that they just go and kidnap/deal with those people in Fed. govt. that are preventing the forward movement of nigeria. These crooks have looted so much money already so disrupting petroleum will probably affect the common nigerian more than them.

I remember about 2 and half years ago when the FG was doing all this talk about how they had created a masterplan for the niger delta and how supposedly the place would be turned into paradise. I knew it was a bunch of BS.
Re: M E N D Calls Off Ceasefire -Jomo Gbomo! by Beaf: 4:50am On Jan 30, 2010
mikeansy:

Beaf forget that talk, this group of folks will not hesitate to remind you how their war with Nigeria is different with the one you had.

War should not be the first consideration. We need to form deep political alliances.

EzeUche:

Of course I know that not all Niger Deltans are Ijaw. Frankly, I consider my state, Abia State as part of the Niger Delta as well as Imo State. You also have Urhobos, Itsikeri, Ogoni, Ibibio and a host of other groups that I do not know their name.

I still do not think the Ijaw can be trusted unless the entire Ijaw Nation ask for Igbo backing. Because, without the Ndi Igbo, there struggle will be crushed. The Ijaw know that the Igbos would make a good ally because of our large numbers.

E.K Clark represents the Ijaws (and has very strong affiliations to other ND groups). He is the de facto leader of the ND.
I understand that Igbo's have issue's with his person post civil war, but no issue is too big to be ironed out.
There are too many inter-marriages and cultural linkages between the Igbo and Ijaw for quarrels to persist indefinitely. You never know, things might be worked out, there are more opportunities in alliances. What needs to be set out are clear red lines for all sides.
Re: M E N D Calls Off Ceasefire -Jomo Gbomo! by ezeagu(m): 4:56am On Jan 30, 2010
EzeUche:

I wouldn't mind having a confederation in the southeast. Allow the Ijaws to have control over their oil. Then that will solve their problem. English is widely spoken around the world. Focusing on English is not a sin. It helps us compete in this more globalized world. But we should never forget our culture in the process.

I would say 60% of the Igbo children in the diaspora cannot speak Igbo. Every other nation has their language as an official language even creole like in Haiti, I never said don't learn English, but put it as official. Look at BBC Alba in Scotland, despite the fact that most Scottish people speak English.
Re: M E N D Calls Off Ceasefire -Jomo Gbomo! by Nobody: 5:00am On Jan 30, 2010
I think folks should stop fanning the ambers of war anyhow. The threat by Niger-Delta millitants is misguided as they can't do much.

On the part of the Igbos, the fact remains that we are the tribe with most people in other regions of the country doing business, investing on long term bases and for these people there is no reason to judge from their antecedents that they are planning that in the nearest future they will be immigrants where they live at the moment and leading their lives.

So those who exploit every misguided and sporadic threat from thugs to call for cecession must consider that such an action must be grass-root driven. In my view we Igbos have'nt related with the rest of the country as if our stay in those parts of the country are temporary. So lets be reasonable.

I don't think I am offended any less by the civil war, I just think 40years later after gun shuts ended the term 'Biafra' should be a call or reminder to why we must be our brother's keeper. Are you in politics? Your Biafra should be to provide for those you lead; Are you a Teacher? Your Biafra should be to give your best so that the next generation of Igbos will have more reknowned scientists amongst them; Are you a Lawyer? Your Biafra can be to take up cases with less fee Charges for Igbo Business who pay for shops only to find them destroyed without compensation when Government policies change.

This business of coming to internet to spue threatning comments about cecession every week when the evidence on the ground does not reflect any of these is at best juvenile and at worst stupid and misguided. Enough is Enough.
Re: M E N D Calls Off Ceasefire -Jomo Gbomo! by ezeagu(m): 5:23am On Jan 30, 2010
mikeansy:

So those who exploit every misguided and sporadic threat from thugs to call for cecession must consider that such an action must be grass-root driven. In my view we Igbos have'nt related with the rest of the country as if our stay in those parts of the country are temporary. So lets be reasonable.

Really? Last I heard Igbo people are gradually moving back to the east. . . .
Re: M E N D Calls Off Ceasefire -Jomo Gbomo! by babapupa: 5:25am On Jan 30, 2010
Beaf:

Very easy to type bullsh!t. . .

@topic
The Niger Delta, South East and SW need to pull out of this prison called Nigeria.

Call it what you want, aguda ko je l'abe geesi. (Aguda folks don't eat off the palms of the white man)

If I ruled the world I'll give you every inch of your oil trouble and let you drink t all.
Re: M E N D Calls Off Ceasefire -Jomo Gbomo! by Nobody: 5:27am On Jan 30, 2010
ezeagu:

Really? Last I heard Igbo people are gradually moving back to the east. . . .

Well maybe you need a tour of Nigeria

People are frustrated at the injustices in Nigeria, but the actions of majority of Igbos when you talk about long term investments and keeping faith in the system businesswise against all odds. I make bold to say the Igbos believe is Nigeria more. Go to Kano, Lagos, Abuja, Maidugiri, Ibadan, Kaduna, Jos . . . . . . . . Igbos own long term investments. And guess what? these investments were all made after the civil war to support their businesses.

Does that strike you as a group of people who considered that they will wake up one day and need a passport to live in Kano? Not really.

Yes folks are angry but issues need to be put in context. Ojukwu defended our people against Genocide. But our story of Biafra can be different. For us now it can be economic justice, accountability, better education, a call to service.

Even those who want to call themselves die hard followers of Ojukwu are not even listening to Ojukwu or his body language. Ojukwu was never an inherent cecessionist. Bisides on his return from Ivory Coast he joined multi-party politics in Nigeria. Today he has run for President of Nigeria under APGA albeit unsuccessfully, and is openly supporting an APGA Governor in Anambra State in a democratic Nigeria. That sounds to me like a man that has moved on, why can't the rest of us do the same.
Re: M E N D Calls Off Ceasefire -Jomo Gbomo! by JosBoy4Lif(m): 5:47am On Jan 30, 2010
EzeUche:

And so begins the breakup of Nigeria, grin grin grin

The ethnic groups of the south are starting to wake up. Hopefully, our Western counterparts will see the light soon.

You are very disillusioned my broda. You should wake up and see the light. Secession is a figment of your imagination.
Re: M E N D Calls Off Ceasefire -Jomo Gbomo! by Beaf: 5:51am On Jan 30, 2010
JosBoy4Lif:

You are very disillusioned my broda. You should wake up and see the light. Secession is a figment of your imagination.

Really? It might not be visible today, but tomorrow can bring anything. I believe that it might be forced on Nigerians by circumstances spiralling out of control.
If enough groups are disgruntled, it will be peaceful.
Re: M E N D Calls Off Ceasefire -Jomo Gbomo! by slap1(m): 6:52am On Jan 30, 2010
Hey, Becomericch, get us some damn maps!
Re: M E N D Calls Off Ceasefire -Jomo Gbomo! by henry101(m): 7:34am On Jan 30, 2010
slap1:

Hey, Becomericch, get us some damn maps!

Abi ooo.
At least the map containing benin republic, the Sw and Nd.
Re: M E N D Calls Off Ceasefire -Jomo Gbomo! by Abagworo(m): 7:45am On Jan 30, 2010
Lets not view this from oil point of view.let us view things from injustice point of view.is mend fighting for oil or against injustice?if against injustice,then they are the messiah of the nigerian masses.if for oil,then i see them as the enemies of true niger deltans.
Re: M E N D Calls Off Ceasefire -Jomo Gbomo! by Abagworo(m): 7:48am On Jan 30, 2010
Lets not view this from oil point of view.let us view things from injustice point of view.is mend fighting for oil or against injustice?if against injustice,then they are the messiah of the nigerian masses.if for oil,then i see them as the enemies of true niger deltans.
Re: M E N D Calls Off Ceasefire -Jomo Gbomo! by edoyad(m): 7:49am On Jan 30, 2010
As much as i'd like this rubbish we live in to break into a hundred pieces, It's become clear that it will not be cowards like us on NL and beyond that could bring about such an event. The best i can hope for now is a constitutional review to make the Local Government or Local Council the most important unit in govt and scrapping of state govts. Many of the unrealistic trash i hear on NL never happens, if you're going to blow a pipeline, just fcking do it and the news of it will make headlines, instead of all the tiring talk we hear of things that will never come about.
Re: M E N D Calls Off Ceasefire -Jomo Gbomo! by slap1(m): 11:37am On Jan 30, 2010
I detest violence in any form, but I wish the militants pick up arms again. That way our Reps will understand the fierce urgency of now. They'd know were a sheep without a captain is headed.
Re: M E N D Calls Off Ceasefire -Jomo Gbomo! by slap1(m): 11:40am On Jan 30, 2010
^^ sorry, ship. Becomericch, were are the maps of Niger Delta? We want to know the minorities. . . . .

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Assault: Arogundade, Navy Lose Appeal In Miss Uzoma Okere Assault Case / "the Culture Of Narcissism" By Christopher Lasch / Presidential Amnesty Programme Is Over - Ceo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.