Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:24 AM

Muslim "inventions" That Changed The World. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Muslim "inventions" That Changed The World. (4936 Views)

Buhari’s Speech That Changed The North / 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World / 12 Great African Inventions That Changed The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Muslim "inventions" That Changed The World. by ElRazur: 12:18pm On Jan 30, 2010
Okay, apologies if this thread is in the wrong place. Having noticed how these claims tend to pop up during heated debate, I thought it will be a good idea to try and look at some of these claims and for people to make their own mind up I guess.

I came across an article on CNN, which basically is about the aforementioned topic. Now what baffles me is that the source of all the information appears to be from an Islamic scholar of some kind, this in my opinion is biased. I mean, If I want unbiased information about anything, I guess it will make sense to get such information from an unbiased source?

Anyway, amongst the "inventions" created by Muslims are as follows:

Surgery
Coffee
Flying machine
University
Algebra
etc.

Now I am not disputing that some of these things may not have been invented - Algebra for example. However, after reading a few of the claims made. It appears there are some sort of inconsistencies that may need further clarifications.  For example. A brief summary of one of the invention credited to Muslim states the following:

Flying Machine
"Abbas ibn Firnas was the first person to make a real attempt to construct a flying machine and fly," said Hassani. In the 9th century he designed a winged apparatus, roughly resembling a bird costume. In his most famous trial near Cordoba in Spain, Firnas flew upward for a few moments, before falling to the ground and partially breaking his back. His designs would undoubtedly have been an inspiration for famed Italian artist and inventor Leonardo da Vinci's hundreds of years later, said Hassani"

A quick check shows that the so called evidence was nothing more than an alleged reference to him in a book on his attempt at flight. I am not sure if there are any physical evidence. Yet the author of this book about Muslim inventions was quick to state that "In 9th century Spain, Muslim inventor Abbas ibn Firnas designed a flying machine -- hundreds of years before da Vinci drew plans of his own". In order words, Abbas beats Da Vinci to it. Yet on comparison, there are actual physical evidence - I.e Drawings and blue prints of Da vinci's invention.  So how does Muslim get credit for invention of a flying machine?

Another one that do not fit well is the claim and credit for Surgery. The Pharaohs kingdom pre-dates Islam and it is well documented as to how injured worker are amputated etc.  Surely amputation is a form of surgery and would have required a basic knowledge of some kind?

Anyway have a read, I am not entirely convinced. smiley
http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/meast/01/29/muslim.inventions/index.html
Re: Muslim "inventions" That Changed The World. by ayettymama(f): 12:26pm On Jan 30, 2010
muslims 'invented' cofee??
its no longer a chemical found in plants??
this is ajoke!

4 Likes

Re: Muslim "inventions" That Changed The World. by uwani(f): 12:26pm On Jan 30, 2010
Go post ur thread 4 CNN's website or go write ur own book.
Re: Muslim "inventions" That Changed The World. by vowiski(m): 12:29pm On Jan 30, 2010
very Sarcastic, This is politics dummy
Re: Muslim "inventions" That Changed The World. by kosovo(m): 12:32pm On Jan 30, 2010
moved!
Re: Muslim "inventions" That Changed The World. by ElRazur: 1:10pm On Jan 30, 2010
Feel free to move it anywhere, but not the Muslim section. It is clear post will be influenced by allegiance to the religion in question. That is not good for a healthy debate.
Re: Muslim "inventions" That Changed The World. by edoyad(m): 1:36pm On Jan 30, 2010
Black Man. May the forces guide our black ignorance.
Arab man create something, his civilisation take credit for it.
White man invents something, his civilisation takes credit for it.
Slave on the other hand is looking for a master so he align himself with and take credit.
As for edoyad and nok people, we were making bronze statues more than 500 years before Jeshua was born. In that case black people should worship Nok people as their gods so equation becomes balanced.

1 Like

Re: Muslim "inventions" That Changed The World. by ElRazur: 1:37pm On Jan 30, 2010
I am not sure I understand your post and its relevance to this thread.
Re: Muslim "inventions" That Changed The World. by edoyad(m): 1:53pm On Jan 30, 2010
You obviously brought this post here for a reason, but the fact of the matter is these so called muslim inventors were predominantly arabs. Which brings me to the question, what has the black nation of Nigeria got to with arab inventors ? May be we should tell Moderator that this should be in the foreign section cos i don't see what arab inventors have to do with the Nigerian socio-economy. What about black inventors or inventors of African origin ? For example, who invented peanut butter ?
Re: Muslim "inventions" That Changed The World. by ElRazur: 2:02pm On Jan 30, 2010
Again I am failing to see the relevance of your post.

I posted it here because I do most of my post in here or at the romance section. Quite frankly, this do not fit into the romance section. Secondly, I mentioned that this point are made in heated debate as to how muslim have invented a lot of things etc. Thirdly, I did not post this in the Islamic section because it will get a biased view. Fourthly, I posted this with the hope I will avoid your kind of post and mentality. But clearly, that is too late now.

This is about a claim made and me wanting to examine these claims. I have had a look at some of the claims and some do just not feel right hence my digging deeper. And with the hope more people can shed light or correct me if am wrong.

Your point as far as am concerned are not exactly relevant to this thread. If you want it moved, I have no objection to that - I mentioned this already.

In the mean time, please do not derail this thread further, if you cannot add to the discussion at hand.
Re: Muslim "inventions" That Changed The World. by vowiski(m): 2:03pm On Jan 30, 2010
@ElRazur
  People like you are the one's causing problems for the Moderator, what has the thread got to with Politics?, yet u rant everywhere about the Moderator's compitence. you even stated that it is not meant to he here and sould be moved, why do things just to punish the moderator, ? People like you should be banned, because u are neither here nor there,  this your useless thread has barred you from ever questioning the moderator.
Re: Muslim "inventions" That Changed The World. by ochukoccna: 2:42pm On Jan 30, 2010
[size=14pt]Suicide Bombing! shocked shocked grin grin grin grin[/size]
While they may not have originally invented it, they have modified & perfected it as an art form.

1 Like

Re: Muslim "inventions" That Changed The World. by ElRazur: 2:45pm On Jan 30, 2010
ochukoccna:

[size=14pt]Suicide Bombing! shocked shocked grin grin grin grin[/size]
While they may not have originally invented it, they have modified & perfected it as an art form.

Can we please not go into that. I am talking about actual inventions or as claimed in the link I provided. If you cannot prove or disprove, please avoid flame-baiting.
Re: Muslim "inventions" That Changed The World. by ochukoccna: 3:02pm On Jan 30, 2010
ElRazur:

Can we please not go into that. I am talking about actual inventions or as claimed in the link I provided. If you cannot prove or disprove, please avoid flame-baiting.
O ma se O! undecided undecided
Re: Muslim "inventions" That Changed The World. by Nobody: 4:09pm On Jan 30, 2010
edoyad:

Black Man. May the forces guide our black ignorance.
Arab man create something, his civilisation take credit for it.
White man invents something, his civilisation takes credit for it.
Slave on the other hand is looking for a master so he align himself with and take credit.
As for edoyad and nok people, we were making bronze statues more than 500 years before Jeshua was born. In that case black people should worship Nok people as their gods so equation becomes balanced.

Nok culture is extinct sweetie.

when did they resurrect?
Re: Muslim "inventions" That Changed The World. by Nobody: 4:15pm On Jan 30, 2010
I am yet to see any intelligence here!!
Re: Muslim "inventions" That Changed The World. by Ibrahimmrfish(m): 10:41am On Jul 08, 2013
Compase was invented by muslims,and about surgery,try to check the story of Ebnu sina,he is the father of surgery and also a muslim.Chemistry,is driven from arabe word che meya,they also contribute alot in,physics,astronomy,geography,and o yes Al gebra is also an arabic word.Even the numbers u use today,are have arabic origine.But coffe,is originally 4m ethiopia.The arabe only introduce it to europe.And the frist university on earth,was establish by muslims.The works of greek philosophers,were distroy in europe,during the dark ages.It was,the muslims that save the ones we have today,by taking and hiding it 4m the xtian,that were distroying it.

1 Like

Re: Muslim "inventions" That Changed The World. by Beaf1: 10:54am On Jul 08, 2013
Are you against the fact that these people are Muslims.....or?

How are you more 'informed' or bigoted than the CNN crew that posted that story?

Go and deal with your inability to read and comprehend simple facts. No one is 'helping' you out here.
Re: Muslim "inventions" That Changed The World. by gbadexy(m): 10:56am On Jul 08, 2013
This op is obtuse!
He said he only posts on politics and romance section and had to post here since it doesn't fit romance!
So if you want to reach across to people at the autos or property section who probably just go straight to the relevant section because of busy schedule, you would post it in romance or politics section anyway because those are the ones you post on!
Re: Muslim "inventions" That Changed The World. by Horus(m): 11:03am On Jul 08, 2013

[size=15pt]Muslim "inventions" That Changed The World[/size]

4 Likes

Re: Muslim "inventions" That Changed The World. by WarriPikin1: 11:17am On Jul 08, 2013
Muslim invention that changed the world is suicide bombing.

3 Likes

Re: Muslim "inventions" That Changed The World. by Ibrahimmrfish(m): 12:37pm On Jul 08, 2013
tpia.:

Nok culture is extinct sweetie.

when did they resurrect?
No my man,they live.They are people of the north,up to 1890.All the tribe of the north,are masters in black smiting and potry.
Re: Muslim "inventions" That Changed The World. by Ibrahimmrfish(m): 12:48pm On Jul 08, 2013
Warri _Pikin: Muslim invention that changed the world is suicide bombing.

Come see donky.Ignorant monky,try to do something call reading.That really cure ppl like u,with low brain power.
Re: Muslim "inventions" That Changed The World. by taharqa2: 12:59pm On Jul 08, 2013
@OP, you may want to move or create anoda thread in d Culture Section..... @topic, yes there were many inventions and innovations done by Muslims of diff continents and 'races', esp in d so-called 'Middle Ages'- from Optics to Medicine, Philosophy, Literature, Algebra, Astronomy, etc. As a mata of fact, Muslims were Masters of intellectual (or rather, Scholarstic) Excellence for centuries during this period as well as d Main transmitter of 'Western' knowledge to what later became Renaissance Europe. The height of intellectual width and depth of sm of them is Simply ASTONISHING- one wud only need to read d Work of Ibn Kaldun, Azeorres, etc to appreciate. Muslims pursued Knowlege THOSE DAYS!!... A lot of persons, including many Muslims themselves (ala, 'Boko is a Sin' and their many fans), are just almost completely ignorant

3 Likes

Re: Muslim "inventions" That Changed The World. by oyatz(m): 2:05pm On Sep 07, 2019
You are wrong.
The Chinese have been using Compass before the advent of Islam.

Islam started around 650AD but Surgeries we're carried out by Ancient Egyptians, Indians (the could do amputation, herniorrhaphy, cataract extractions), Israelites, Babylonians, Aethiopians and Assyrians at least 2000-30000 before the birth of the first Muslim.

The Arabs borrowed and improved the number systems from Indus Valley civilization, hence the name 'Indo-arabic' numerals.

Ibrahimmrfish:
Compase was invented by muslims,and about surgery,try to check the story of Ebnu sina,he is the father of surgery and also a muslim.Chemistry,is driven from arabe word che meya,they also contribute alot in,physics,astronomy,geography,and o yes Al gebra is also an arabic word.Even the numbers u use today,are have arabic origine.But coffe,is originally 4m ethiopia.The arabe only introduce it to europe.And the frist university on earth,was establish by muslims.The works of greek philosophers,were distroy in europe,during the dark ages.It was,the muslims that save the ones we have today,by taking and hiding it 4m the xtian,that were distroying it.

3 Likes

Re: Muslim "inventions" That Changed The World. by FarahAideed: 2:11pm On Sep 07, 2019
What flying machine ?

Coffee beans originated from Ethiopia where it was used for various things , the claim that Sufist of Yemen were the first drinkers of coffee has been disproved
Re: Muslim "inventions" That Changed The World. by Lonelypacifist6: 2:51pm On Sep 07, 2019
If Muslim invented coffee, what happened to the Tribesmen of the Amazon forest who eat Coffee seeds raw?
Re: Muslim "inventions" That Changed The World. by Lonelypacifist6: 2:54pm On Sep 07, 2019
ayettymama:
this is ajoke!
Wetin my mama names dey find for there na? Yetty and ajoke grin
Re: Muslim "inventions" That Changed The World. by ifyboy60(m): 11:45pm On Sep 07, 2019
ayettymama:
this is ajoke!

coffee first grown in Ethiopia as a wild plant, I guess the Muslims first started using it as beverage.

the westerners started using it after defeating Arabs in Europe.
Re: Muslim "inventions" That Changed The World. by ifyboy60(m): 11:45pm On Sep 07, 2019
Lonelypacifist6:
If Muslim invented coffee, what happened to the Tribesmen of the Amazon forest who eat Coffee seeds raw?
that was cocoa not coffee
Re: Muslim "inventions" That Changed The World. by ifyboy60(m): 11:52pm On Sep 07, 2019
Ibrahimmrfish:

many of ur statements are wrong.
algebra is arabic, correct.
the first university have been in existence before Islam.
the works of Greek philosophers were copied by monks and scribes, even some original copies exists.

numbers were not invented by Arabs but by Hindu Indians. it was derived from their native writing, the Arabs copied and introduced to the westerners just like they did coffee.

the Arabs pioneered in eye treatment and several medicines until the ulema and radical imams stared issuing fatwas ending up destroying Arab intellectuals in the Middle Ages.
thanks.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Rocket Launchers Recovered From Kidnappers In Lagos / List Of African Dictators / Chief Ralph Uwazuruike Housing Quarters For Ex Biafran Soldiers... Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.