Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,736 members, 7,837,664 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 09:07 AM

Are You Sexualizing Your Children? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Are You Sexualizing Your Children? (20793 Views)

Increasing Suicide — Be Careful What Your Children Consume / Drug Abuse: When Last Did You Check Your Children’s Bags? – NAFDAC / When Your Children Eat From Your Neighbour's House...Your Experience! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are You Sexualizing Your Children? by TheEminentLaity: 1:40pm On Aug 14, 2017
Why don't you raise your children as you see fit and let others raise theirs. If you never needed facial make-up and artificial hair as a child/teenager, why use it now?
Mind your business and you will live long.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are You Sexualizing Your Children? by win2kwire: 1:43pm On Aug 14, 2017
obikirinoni:
All parents pls take your time and run thru this . REPOSTED:

YOUR CHILDREN ARE SEXY? ??

Few weeks ago, I was at the local airport and as I waited in the departure lounge, I noticed there were many children roaming about but it was understandable since it was summer holiday.

One other thing I noticed was the way most of the children were dressed. Most of them, especially the girls, were dressed in bum shorts, halter necks, cut off jeans, etc. The clothes in themselves weren't the issue per se; it was the overall look of the children that had me bothered. That was definitely not the first time I noticed it.

A few months before, I had taken my kids to a birthday party and found myself in what could easily have been a night club for kids. Scanty clothing such as tight or very short clothes, bum shorts, long weaves, etc, seemed to be the dress code. I noticed my son glancing around, probably wondering, "What in God's world are these other children wearing?" Or something like that.

Not long after, the kids were called out to dance to the hit songs of the season - these songs in my opinion should be rated PG 16. 4 - 6 year olds trooped to the dance floor, miming the sexually explicit songs and gyrating their bodies in the most sensual manner.
They could have given Beyonce a run for her money. They ran their hands over their bodies, shook their booties hard while their parents cheered them on. The boys had their upper shirts unbuttoned and rapped along perfectly to gangsta raps while doing flawless break dance.

Those who danced like actual children where shooed off the dance floor while the lewd ones were cheered on. As I watched, my child stared out of this circle looking longingly at the others dancing. I knew it was time to leave.

As we left, we went to an eatery where I bought them ice cream and gently explained to them the concept of decency and dancing with decorum.

Another time, at a game arcade for kids, I ran
into a lady who had made-up her kids' faces like they were mannequins for Tara or Mac beauty products. Their skirts were so tight, that running up and down the slide was uncomfortable for them.

So the question is, why are we sexualizing our kids? Why does your 4, 6 or 9 year old girl have to look like a chick? Why does she have to be hot or sexy? Should your 8 year old son go around with a comb in his hair and his pants sagged almost to his ankles?

If your child wears bum shorts out of the house at age 3, why should she
be expected to wear longer ones at 15? If she wears 2 rings and 12 bangles at 6, why won't she pierce a second ear hole at 17 and her bellybutton at 19? Why won't your son pierce his own ear at 15?

Are you setting your children up to be immodest and indecent? What trend are you starting them on? That all these are fashionable or trendy doesn't mean it's ok. What happened to children wearing dresses.
Children can look very nice and decent, they can be well covered and still look good.

In this age, when children are being abused. Is it wise to make your child an object of anyone's sexual attention? When I hear some children belt out sexually explicit lyrics, I ask myself how they became exposed to this songs!

As a parent, you can't play the CD of such songs and not expect your children to pick them up; the same goes for watching Mtv Base, Channel O, etc with your children. Studies have shown that children exposed to a high level of sexually explicit information tend to become sexually active early. Is that your goal as a parent?

Being a parent involves sacrifice. You will need to avoid listening to such music where your children are. Most of those lyrics demean women and teach your daughter that she's just a intimacy gadget and her body is for squeezing. It teaches the boys that money is everything and women are things to be used to satisfy their primal urges. These music introduces them to a degrading pop culture.

Our children have their lives ahead of them, let's set them on the right path by teaching them to dress decently and sing nice or age-appropriate songs. Let your children be children. Train up a child in the way that s/he should go and when s/he is old, s/he would depart from it.

By Smith Aderoju Folashade Abiola

Stop forcing unproven religions on them
stop making them dress like muslims
stop teaching them backward and primitive practices

better to have commonsense and self awareness than this yeye topic about sexualizing!

2 Likes

Re: Are You Sexualizing Your Children? by ostarlink: 1:52pm On Aug 14, 2017
I read this writeup in between the lines. It is appalling, condemnable, alien, regrettable, and mindboggling the way this satanic trend is dominating most families.
I wish every parent will know the consequence of this indecency on their children. We need to have more godly women in our society today than at any other time. This is because mothers have domineering bearing on the children than fathers.
We all should join hands to curtail this ugly trend before our society turns to Sodom and Gomorrah

2 Likes

Re: Are You Sexualizing Your Children? by absoluteSuccess: 1:57pm On Aug 14, 2017
Slay kids on the prowl everywhere you go.

Slaylettes.

1 Like

Re: Are You Sexualizing Your Children? by flex04(m): 2:02pm On Aug 14, 2017
obikirinoni:

A few months before, I had taken my kids to a birthday party and found myself in what could easily have been a night club for kids. Scanty clothing such as tight or very short clothes, bum shorts, long weaves, etc, seemed to be the dress code. I noticed my son glancing around, probably wondering, "What in God's world are these other children wearing?" Or something like that.

hw u take sure
Re: Are You Sexualizing Your Children? by flex04(m): 2:07pm On Aug 14, 2017
Anasko:
ISLAM MODE OF DRESSING IS THE BEST

jus for senceless point take am......

Re: Are You Sexualizing Your Children? by kkash: 2:13pm On Aug 14, 2017
Bitter truth is, no matter how hard u try to shield d kids from this, it wont work.....this is 21st century, there wld be influence from skl, neighbours, relations, internet, media etc.....bottom line, if u hv kids, just be prepared, it can only get worse, nd if u dnt hv kids yet, d world is already getting over-populated, sooo.......
Re: Are You Sexualizing Your Children? by Gerrard59(m): 2:14pm On Aug 14, 2017
tintingz:
One thing about we humans is, we don't share same ideology.

It's something majority of Nigerians don't understand. People evolve. Moreover, we live in the tropics.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are You Sexualizing Your Children? by flex04(m): 2:14pm On Aug 14, 2017
ekems2017:
Hmmmm. This is one topic I feel all parent should sit on the round table and brainstorm. I don't know what is happening to women now. Yes i said women cos they are the ones responsible for this. Men hardly have time to shop for their kids.
The men also are to be blame cos they are the head. If your wife buys bomb short for your little girl why not destroy it.
Well I know the men cannot take action cos that is what their wives put on and they are very comfortable with it.

For the music and dance when the parent are tweking what do you expect the children to do. It's whatever they see you do that they will do.

In summary TRAIN UP A CHILD IN THE WAY HE/SHE SHOULD GO AND WHEN HE/SHE IS OLD, THEY WILL NOT DEPART FROM IT.

The way you dress your bed, so you lie on it.

nt every one thinks like you, you hear....even christ preached to every one but thought only special twelve
Re: Are You Sexualizing Your Children? by sanpipita(m): 2:20pm On Aug 14, 2017
Giddyperson:
How would it result in rape biko. Anyone looking at children and getting sexually aroused should check himself into a mental health institution. I think shorts and tights are better suited for kids than they would ever be for adults. Ofcourse no show belle or show butt or makeup for children and I also agree with you about the dancing like strippers. It's ok if kids dress like the attached pictures

You underestimate the power of the mind and it's way, not everyone has same mind, a guy after seeing rihanna in bum shorts and seeing a kid in same might have same attraction, I'm not excusing rape but sexualized clothes can arouse minds, wearing sexualized clothes and dancing provocatively might give wrong impression these kids are ready, when a man starts seeing in kids what he sees in adults then the mind could go awry.

2 Likes

Re: Are You Sexualizing Your Children? by jaszplus12(m): 2:23pm On Aug 14, 2017
first I want to thank the OP for such rhoughtful topic.
then i want start by saying the men must first take the blame ...because its how they perceive rheir wifes appearance and approve that the wife transfers to her kids specially the daughters. if a man loves his wife in bum shorts no problem, but that should not become tradition to pass on to kids of tender age and this can be curtailed by the man, the woman understands and makes sure the kids are dressed as kids not kids in adult mode.
movies women watch also has great influence on them. telemundo series has captured and imprisoned our wives so much they no longer concentrate on basic chores. especially the spanish versions where sex and smooching always take centre stage. because the wives cant miss a serie they are weak in changing channels or watching in privacy. kids see all the erotic moves and why not? they do same or their bodies respond like it or not.
music is no longer the food for calmness and rest...lyrics are filled wit lewdness and the videos sell basically because hips are swayed and skin is exposed! its disheartening.
deal with the situations now else you will have a lot to regret in future no matter how you deny it.
fathers mothers work together and save yiurselves the embarrasment!

1 Like

Re: Are You Sexualizing Your Children? by ImaIma1(f): 2:48pm On Aug 14, 2017
I love this post. It is really happening especially at parties. I have made up my mind that my kids will be kids till they are adults. No hair extensions of any sort...no make up except lip balm during harmattan period. No watching musical videos that show lewd dance steps. No adult clothings. There are so many clothes that can be decentand beautiful on them.
I would rather promote reading,sports and kids activities.

2 Likes

Re: Are You Sexualizing Your Children? by oruma19: 2:49pm On Aug 14, 2017
tonyimadu:
Best article on nairaland in forever. thanks.
This article has been in circulation for a while now and most people who re-post it don't usually acknowledge the original writer (Mrs oluseye Igbafe) . I think this is wrong. If u must repost an article or any writeup whatsoever, please acknowledge the owner... The writeup deserves an award. Simple.

1 Like

Re: Are You Sexualizing Your Children? by Mpanyi: 2:52pm On Aug 14, 2017
Nice post. Unfortunately some people who can't tell good from bad will not see it like that.

1 Like

Re: Are You Sexualizing Your Children? by ImaIma1(f): 2:52pm On Aug 14, 2017
jaszplus12:
first I want to thank the OP for such rhoughtful topic.
then i want start by saying the men must first take the blame ...because its how they perceive rheir wifes appearance and approve that the wife transfers to her kids specially the daughters. if a man loves his wife in bum shorts no problem, but that should not become tradition to pass on to kids of tender age and this can be curtailed by the man, the woman understands and makes sure the kids are dressed as kids not kids in adult mode.
movies women watch also has great influence on them. telemundo series has captured and imprisoned our wives so much they no longer concentrate on basic chores. especially the spanish versions where sex and smooching always take centre stage. because the wives cant miss a serie they are weak in changing channels or watching in privacy. kids see all the erotic moves and why not? they do same or their bodies respond like it or not.
music is no longer the food for calmness and rest...lyrics are filled wit lewdness and the videos sell basically because hips are swayed and skin is exposed! its disheartening.
deal with the situations now else you will have a lot to regret in future no matter how you deny it.
fathers mothers work together and save yiurselves the embarrasment!

Very true. The kids are always a reflection of their mums. Men should keep that in mind when they pick a wife and mother of their kids.
And thank God Telemundo has not arrested me..lol. would rather watch supersports than do telemundo

1 Like

Re: Are You Sexualizing Your Children? by sanpipita(m): 3:06pm On Aug 14, 2017
ImaIma1:

Very true. The kids are always a reflection of their mums. Men should keep that in mind when they pick a wife and mother of their kids.
And thank God Telemundo has not arrested me..lol. would rather watch supersports than do telemundo

Are you literally saying men have no role to play in child upbringing, if a father smokes and his kids end up smoking whose reflection is it? this is a matter nobody should pass buck on, male kids are getting sexualized too not just the female ones.

1 Like

Re: Are You Sexualizing Your Children? by MusingsOfALady: 3:21pm On Aug 14, 2017
This article was written by Oluseye Igbafe on her blog www.themusinglady.com and published on several other magazines and even a national daily

It is plagiarism to claim someone else writeup.

Pls acknowledge the rightful author or take it down.

Thanks

obikirinoni:

Few weeks ago, I was at the local airport and as I waited in the departure lounge, I noticed there were many children roaming about but it was understandable since it was summer holiday.

One other thing I noticed was the way most of the children were dressed. Most of them, especially the girls, were dressed in bum shorts, halter necks, cut off jeans, etc. The clothes in themselves weren't the issue per se; it was the overall look of the children that had me bothered. That was definitely not the first time I noticed it.

Not long after, the kids were called out to dance to the hit songs of the season - these songs in my opinion should be rated PG 16. 4 - 6 year olds trooped to the dance floor, miming the sexually explicit songs and gyrating their bodies in the most sensual manner.
They could have given Beyonce a run for her money. They ran their hands over their bodies, shook their booties hard while their parents cheered them on. The boys had their upper shirts unbuttoned and rapped along perfectly to gangsta raps while doing flawless break dance.

Those who danced like actual children where shooed off the dance floor while the lewd ones were cheered on. As I watched, my child stared out of this circle looking longingly at the others dancing. I knew it was time to leave.

As we left, we went to an eatery where I bought them ice cream and gently explained to them the concept of decency and dancing with decorum.

into a lady who had made-up her kids' faces like they were mannequins for Tara or Mac beauty products. Their skirts were so tight, that running up and down the slide was uncomfortable for them.

So the question is, why are we sexualizing our kids? Why does your 4, 6 or 9 year old girl have to look like a chick? Why does she have to be hot or sexy? Should your 8 year old son go around with a comb in his hair and his pants sagged almost to his ankles?

be expected to wear longer ones at 15? If she wears 2 rings and 12 bangles at 6, why won't she pierce a second ear hole at 17 and her bellybutton at 19? Why won't your son pierce his own ear at 15?

Are you setting your children up to be immodest and indecent? What trend are you starting them on? That all these are fashionable or trendy doesn't mean it's ok. What happened to children wearing dresses.
Children can look very nice and decent, they can be well covered and still look good.

In this age, when children are being abused. Is it wise to make your child an object of anyone's sexual attention? When I hear some children belt out sexually explicit lyrics, I ask myself how they became exposed to this songs!

As a parent, you can't play the CD of such songs and not expect your children to pick them up; the same goes for watching Mtv Base, Channel O, etc with your children. Studies have shown that children exposed to a high level of sexually explicit information tend to become sexually active early. Is that your goal as a parent?

Being a parent involves sacrifice. You will need to avoid listening to such music where your children are. Most of those lyrics demean women and teach your daughter that she's just a intimacy gadget and her body is for squeezing. It teaches the boys that money is everything and women are things to be used to satisfy their primal urges. These music introduces them to a degrading pop culture.

Our children have their lives ahead of them, let's set them on the right path by teaching them to dress decently and sing nice or age-appropriate songs. Let your children be children. Train up a child in the way that s/he should go and when s/he is old, s/he would depart from it.

By Oluseye Igbafe
Re: Are You Sexualizing Your Children? by ImaIma1(f): 3:22pm On Aug 14, 2017
sanpipita:

Are you literally saying men have no role to play in child upbringing, if a father smokes and his kids end up smoking whose reflection is it? this is a matter nobody should pass buck on, male kids are getting sexualized too not just the female ones.

Men have a part to play but in most cases since the mum takes care of most aspects of the child's upbringing, she plays a major role. Things like dressing, body and hair products, courtesy(greeting and comporting themselves), manners,etc.
This doesn't mean the father does not play a role too

1 Like

Re: Are You Sexualizing Your Children? by sanpipita(m): 3:28pm On Aug 14, 2017
ImaIma1:

Men have a part to play but in most cases since the mum takes care of most aspects of the child's upbringing, she plays a major role. Things like dressing, body and hair products, courtesy(greeting and comporting themselves), manners,etc.

I have seen men who want their kids to be dressed provocatively against the wife's wishes, these men also protect their kids from any misbehavior, its easy to blame a woman but sometimes men contribute to this.
Re: Are You Sexualizing Your Children? by dfrost: 3:31pm On Aug 14, 2017
PaperLace:
The little boys are seen with dangerous haircuts, sagged jeans, chains and all that. Most adult clothes now have children version, so_ it's the season of fashion madness.

About the kind of songs they sing and the way they dance _ it's lack of parental control. Some parents are trying to be new school, in the process, they've lost it. I saw one singing "I go chook you chuku chuku" with her daughter, what happened to the "I love you and you love me ", we sang way back?

Paperlace you've killed me cheesy grin at the bolded. Honestly it's a repulsive situation. I only have Barney and Sesame street videos loaded on the media device. Not even cable tv is connected. If you are a visitor and you don't want it, o da bó.
Re: Are You Sexualizing Your Children? by Smartademu(m): 3:34pm On Aug 14, 2017
What do u expect from children of slay queens?
Re: Are You Sexualizing Your Children? by dfrost: 3:34pm On Aug 14, 2017
ImaIma1:

Men have bigger role to play because the Bible says "son listen to the discipline of your father and do not despise the instruction of your mother".
Re: Are You Sexualizing Your Children? by Nobody: 3:36pm On Aug 14, 2017
And when Islamic ladies dress in hijab,you people say they are extremists.
Re: Are You Sexualizing Your Children? by Nobody: 3:39pm On Aug 14, 2017
Wonderful article OP. Today's environment is something else for little children!
Re: Are You Sexualizing Your Children? by GOFRONT(m): 3:40pm On Aug 14, 2017
So many corrupt lines in music of nowadays........Banana fall on you
Chop banana tingoyo
She want big cassava
Shake up ur bum bum
All I want is yo waist
E dey pain u yes maka comot am no
Re: Are You Sexualizing Your Children? by FunspoT(m): 4:06pm On Aug 14, 2017
True talk,its become the norm for parents of this generation to dress their kids in the most inappropriate manner possible,which I think stems from the way they have lived their own lives,and probably are still doing. Its sad and disheartening that most don't see the bad in what they are doing and won't take to correction. When you listen to the lyrics of most of the songs and videos that's been played nowadays,and their sexually explicit contents,you wonder the direction this generation is heading.

I pray parents pay more attention to the negativity of this bad trend as these kids are the leaders of tomorrow and we must not fail them in guiding them in the right path. The Lord is our strength,Amen.
Re: Are You Sexualizing Your Children? by victorDanladi: 4:07pm On Aug 14, 2017
win2kwire:

Stop forcing unproven religions on them
stop making them dress like muslims
stop teaching them backward and primitive practices

better to have commonsense and self awareness than this yeye topic about sexualizing!

so indecent dressing is the exclusive right of the Christians.
Re: Are You Sexualizing Your Children? by Nobody: 4:11pm On Aug 14, 2017
Preach!!
Re: Are You Sexualizing Your Children? by ImaIma1(f): 4:30pm On Aug 14, 2017
dfrost:

Men have bigger role to play because the Bible says "son listen to the discipline of your father and do not despise the instruction of your mother".

Who spends the most time with the children...bringing them up?
Re: Are You Sexualizing Your Children? by irririchris(m): 4:36pm On Aug 14, 2017
I have been thinking am not normal thinking about this issue... Now with this post, I know who the abnormal one is... grin
Thanks Op for this write-up[color=#000099][/color]

obikirinoni:

By Smith Aderoju Folashade Abiola
Re: Are You Sexualizing Your Children? by 1Sharon(f): 4:48pm On Aug 14, 2017
obikirinoni:
These results into

Rape and Molestation

You are so naive!! And simple
Re: Are You Sexualizing Your Children? by win2kwire: 5:14pm On Aug 14, 2017
victorDanladi:

so indecent dressing is the exclusive right of the Christians.
define indecent, to a backward primitive 3rd world african m0ron normal dressing can be classified as indecent!
is it a against the law? unclothedness is - are they naked?

stop imposing your stupid ancient ideologies gotten from you illieterate ancestors on modern kids!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Unbelievable - My Mother Asked My Woman To Leave / New Study On How To Avoid Adultery In Your Marriage / What To Do If You Are Married To A Phlegmatic Husband Or Wife.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.