Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,408 members, 7,819,459 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:39 PM

Super Eagles Assessment And Analysis : Players We Need For The World Cup. - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Super Eagles Assessment And Analysis : Players We Need For The World Cup. (1054 Views)

Mayweather Vs Pacquiao 5am Nigerian Time On Sunday- Event time and Analysis / This Is How The Next Super Eagles Team Should Be / Your Assessment Of Keshi's Team To The Confederations Cup? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Super Eagles Assessment And Analysis : Players We Need For The World Cup. by ahidjo: 8:41pm On Jan 30, 2010
My Overall Observations about our coaches, players and fans during the 2010 edition of the nations cup.

Technical crew: It is apparent (especially after the 3rd place team) that the super Eagles coaches are still uncertain about which players are good for each position in the team. It does appear that the team needs a reliable physical trainer to fish out players that are not fit for games. Psychologists are also needed in the team to help boost the morale of the players during crucial games as the one they needlessly lost to Ghana. Perhaps, they need a player motivator or ginger them in the field of play. At the end of the third place game, it is important and fair to say that Shuibu Amodu and his team have done their best. Whether their best was good enough (especially for the ever insatiable Nigerian fans) remains another issue. Qualification for the world cup and bronze medal at the nations cup cannot by any standard be said to be a bad result for a severely insulted and abused fellow local Nigerian coach.
It does appear to me that with the aforementioned confusion about who gets invited/selected, who plays what and where,  and so on, Nigeria needs a solid technical (Nigerian or expatriate) who must do better than Amodu. To do better than Amodu, the person must understand everything about Nigeria and her players before employment and must understand our mentality (of not doing the right things at the right time). We can not just get rid of Amodu for the sake of it or just because some irrational and illogical fans ( Nigerian fans have become the most vicious, unreasonably too demanding of their team and in the process become too insulting and abusive) have been asking for it. We must be thorough to avoid the mistakes of the past. (2002 world cup comes to mind)
FANS: Just like I said above, it is important that we differentiate between genuine supporters of the National team and those who take the slightest opportunity (mostly using forums like Kick off and nairaland to insult National team players and their coaches. Forums like these have always done poor job of regulating contributions).I will postpone further comments on this.

PLAYERS: Despite the public outcry from mostly uninformed fans, most of the players that participated in the Nations cup 2010 (maybe 60%) should still be in our world cup teams. I will dwell more on few controversial ones and few who should not be there but have constantly been criticized by fans (These analysis are being done after watching each game played by the eagles more than twice)
Vincent Enyeama: I had my doubt about Vincent after the Egypt game. I believed that he was not organizing his defense well(the same reason Vogts dropped him for Ejide). He also conceded two goals against Kenya (five goals in two matches). He however improved as the games progressed, climaxing with the game Vs Zambia. Should be in the team
Defence:
Taye Taiwo: It beats my imagination that the technical crew thought it wise to field Echiejile in place of Taiwo just because some people felt that “Taiwo overlaps too much”. One of the basics of soccer is that when a defender overlaps, another player covers for him. He is stronger and has some bullets packed in his legs and most importantly features regularly for his club. Should be in Nigeria’s world cup team.
Danny Shittu: Strong (land and air) But must sharpen his skills
Apam: Fights well and uses his brains
Yusuf Mohammed: High work rate. Needs to work on his skill level
Ordia: Skillful. Age not on his side. Did well against Algeria
Mikel: Arguably the best player in the team; Very strong on the ball but must work to add more urgency to his game. Unnecessarily slows down game. Must be in any country’s national team
Kanu: The most intelligent player in the team. Age not on his side but his experience can not be replaced yet in the team. Deft touches and killer passes. Needed at the world cup.
Obasi: Plays Nigeria style of game: fast and intelligent: proved himself in Holland 05, Olympics 08 and showed great guts during AFCON 2010. World cup bound
Martins: Currently best striker. Biggest problem: Inconsistency (did it against Ghana. Had avalanche of chances to nail the Ghanaians but missed all. Needs to be more consistent. World cup bound
Nsofor: There is no person that works as hard as Nsofor on the pitch any day. Must work on his shots. Shoots wide too often. World cup bound
Osaze: Has been described as the best player in the team due to his work rate. Needs to be more consistent. Gets tired easily. Makes some average decisions in the field: World cup bound
Yakubu: Very Intelligent but to heavy to attack. Does not mark well and fails to challende ball. Wastefull in front of goal. Doubt for world cup
Olofinjana: Intelligent but sluggish
Kaita: Works hard, sluggish
Yusuf Ayila: Works hard, sluggish. Age not on his side
Kalu Uche: Intelligent but sluggish on the ball
Those that must be tried for world cup:
Ramos Azeez: Under 17 left back:Intelligent, pacy, nice shots
Fortune Chukwudi: Under 17: Intelligent defender
Stanley Okoro: Pacy, skillful, nice shots
Sani Emmanuel: Goal scoring instinct
Lukman Haruna: Must be in the world cup bound team, intelligent. Good shots
Emmanuel Ekpo: Though playing in the US, good to try him. He looks good for our midfield
Others Solomon Okoronkwo. King Osanga, Kingsley Udoh, Rabiu Ibrahim

Please add those that I have missed
Re: Super Eagles Assessment And Analysis : Players We Need For The World Cup. by abadaba(m): 9:29pm On Jan 30, 2010
Players to be invited to fight for places in the South African bound plane are:
Victor Moses-Crystal Palace.
Nedum Onuoha-Manchester city.
King Osanga-Heartland.
Stanley Okoro-Heartland.
Dele Adeleye.
More to come soon.

(1) (Reply)

Portugal Vs North Korea On June 21 @12.30pm Nigerian Time / Soccer Or Football / World Richest Footballer Blames Pitch For Goal Drought ?( Picture)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.