Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,814 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:28 AM

English Premier League Has Destroyed African Football - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / English Premier League Has Destroyed African Football (5204 Views)

Nigeria, Hope Of African Football / Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football / Why Does The West Dominate African Football? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

English Premier League Has Destroyed African Football by odumorun: 9:01pm On Jan 30, 2010
If there is one thing many Nigerians and Africans are very poor at is analysing trends, deciphering patterns, drawing seemingly separate strands together and forming a complete picture.

The last decade has revealed something that has been brutally confirmed at this Nations Cup and that is the decline of black African football. The last time a black sub Saharan team won the nation’s cup was in 2002. Even if Ghana wins it tomorrow, that would still be an 8 year gap, the longest ever period of North African domination in the tournament.

Apart from the dry statistics, the swaggering ease with which Egypt, the dominant North African nation has swept aside the most powerful Sub-Saharan sides even in the heart of the continent over the last 2 – 4 years, has been putting it charitably – cringe worthy. At the last nations Cup the Ivorians were crushed 4 -1, this year it was the Nigerian and Cameroonian sides swatted contemptuously aside 3 – 1, Algeria, a weak to average North African side beat what many regard as the continents strongest hope in the  world cup 3 -2, without hardly breaking sweat.

While poor coaching might be a problem, this is not in all the cases. One thing that is that is becoming clearer however is an acute deficiency of the main advantage the sub Saharan teams have always had over their more organised and probably professional northern rivals - Individual flair and technically gifted players with an easy, unruffled relationship with the ball, who keep it, caress it, not treat it as if it is a limpet mine, players who make love to the ball, not rape it, 

With the exception of Samuel eto, which other black African player really stands out as a supreme talent with the touch, poise, and technique to evoke memories of the Abedi’s, Milla’s Weah’s Kalusha’s Okocha’s Amuneke’s and many other lesser known but almost equally gifted players.

Drogba is good, but predictable, Essien strong, but not very skilful. , big, powerful and physically dominant players, like Mikel, functional, efficient, predictable, great engines, can run all day, human dynamos. Can knock down the door but can’t pick its lock. – So what happens when they are confronted with a door of unalloyed steel. Good players, but forgettable ones. They can be contained, they can’t do the unexpected. Respected, but not feared. In other words, they are built for the premier league – the league of the strongest players in the world, but not the most skilful.

A rich, high profile league that 5 centuries after the missionaries first landed on our continent, has colonised African football, more comprehensively and more surely than the church ever did.

But the problem is, unlike the English, who play a frenetic physical game to cope with the wind and cold, making it difficult to play a slow possession one; black Africans, natives of a hot, humid and languid climate are not programmed from youth to play that way. Like the Brazilians, Argentines and southern Europeans (Spain, Portugal, Italy) our natural game is the slow patient build up, maintaining possession, valuing individual invention, keeping the ball even under pressure, knocking it around with intent and assurance and patiently waiting for the openings that invariably come from drawing the opposition out of position by keeping the ball from them.

The threaded pass, the drag back, the sudden dribbling run,  the confident dash at the defence, the calm authority on the ball when under pressure, the anticipation that something was about to happen informed by the arrogant confidence of supreme ball players maintaining total individual and collective possession under pressure  in dangerous areas.

All that we’ve lost, the element of unpredictability that made teams like Ghana, Nigeria and Cameroun such dangerous opponents, as we’ve now become clones of a game whose basics are informed by a history and geography totally alien to our own.

How many players like shittu, big, brawny unskilful do you see playing in the slums of Mushin, how many players under the bridge in Lagos lob the ball 20 yards forward rather than creatively find a way through on the ground? That is our natural game but with the colonisation of it by the brawny, brainless frantic, English premier league, driven by the pretensions of a native aspirational educated class that clowns around in the white man’s attire to belong, a Chelsea badge adorning the windscreen of that new car, a Man U scarf around the office computer, we are on the steep road to decline.

We need to be true to our own values to win anything. The Spanish are, remaining faithful to their natural tenets and have produced small skilful ball players like iniesta, Xavi, david silva, david Villa, fabregas who have delighted the world producing perhaps the most exhilarating football seen, through their national team and Barcelona, since the Brazilian team of 1982; apart from the fact that this team unlike that of Zico, Socrates et all also wins things proving artistry can be combined with winning.

Our players now knock the bal forward at the first opportunity, even if there is no opening there, they squander possession with the frugality of a drunkard at the beer parlour on payday, the minute they are under pressure, their first instinct is to win a set piece (corner, throw in free kick) not keep possession and create something through open play. The day I heard some Nigerian fans cheering a corner kick in a restaurant in Lagos – I gave up.

They can’t dribble, can’t pass, and can’t keep the ball – they are prosaic, predictable, functional and mechanical – built to order for the premier league. While we the ‘market’ that keeps that over bloated, over rated money making machine afloat, cheer them al the way to the pit and their employers all the way to the bank

We celebrate a game that has succeeded in digging the grave of our own. Did colonialism ever succeed so completely?
Re: English Premier League Has Destroyed African Football by Mannylex(m): 9:24pm On Jan 30, 2010
@poster, well said bro, well said. Hmmm! This is just a time bomb waiting to explode. What is the way forward?
Re: English Premier League Has Destroyed African Football by deor03(m): 9:34pm On Jan 30, 2010
@ Poster

I was on my feet for about 1 minute clapping for you. Good analysis.

We now play  the type of soccer that we don't enjoy.  Imagine the effect of the EPL on the raw natural 2005 talent of Mikel Obi
Re: English Premier League Has Destroyed African Football by Akanniade(m): 11:04am On Jan 31, 2010
Great writeup poster.
I think a law should be passed dstv and hitv from showing foreign football league on our airwaves.
Re: English Premier League Has Destroyed African Football by vislabraye(m): 1:58pm On Jan 31, 2010
You made a good analysis but you conclusion is false,

Firstly, the reason no Sub Saharan Nation has lifted up the cup has nothing to do with EPL. It has everythig to do with game techniques, team work and enterprising play.

Secondly, I don't know of any influential Cameron player who plays in the EPL except Song who plays for Arsenal. Arsenal does not play the typical English football, its a club that develops great players. If Song had been in an African league, do you think he would be this good.The funny thing is that the EPL claim that the influx of forieigners is affecting the game.

Even if you say Europe league is affecting our game, you would still be wrong.
When Man U and Portsmouth played against Nigerian clubs, why didn't our club with the "robust players" at our disposal win the game. Europe especially the premiership has made a +ve impact in our game. The fact is that the players featured had pass their peak or they are not in form,

Lets tell ourselves the truth, you can't stop a player from playing in Europe or EPL if he has the offer. All over the world, great players desire to play in the EPL. Money is involved, ofcourse yes.
Re: English Premier League Has Destroyed African Football by JNdupu: 2:22pm On Jan 31, 2010
@OP

Kudos for a brilliant analysis.  It has led to some introspection from me because I was one of those hollering for "quicker play" during the recent SE games.  I also follow the Premier league avidly.

Maybe you are right, we can never replicate what that league emphasizes best and we need to build on our own strengths but we must match their levels of desire.  Too many of our players off the ball were strolling around or jogging, not getting into positions early enough to make the job of the current ballholder easier.  That really p**sed me off and that's something we've lost.  Rashidi Yekini used to set off on his runs before the ball gets to the midfielder he expects to lay the ball ahead of him.  Now, Yakubu just backs into the defender, falls down and complain to the Ref.
Re: English Premier League Has Destroyed African Football by MIKKY2: 11:46pm On Jan 31, 2010
TELL HITV AIT TO LAUNCH A NIGERIAN "ESPN" AND COVER ALL NUGA NIPOGA SHELL CUP MATCHES AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS. EPL IS ALL MEDIA HYPE LETS RECREATE.
Re: English Premier League Has Destroyed African Football by asha80(m): 11:58pm On Jan 31, 2010
@post

I thought i was the only one that was noticing what you are saying.

Despite what people might say of camerounian football (saying they are muscular and less skilful and all that) the camerounian team of italia90 despite being a bit on the rough sided have very good and skilful footballers and used that skill to great effect in that tournament.Aside from RogerMilla,players like Makanaky,Mfede,Massing,Emile Mbouh were very skillfull.
Re: English Premier League Has Destroyed African Football by joxiri: 12:41am On Feb 01, 2010
when nigerian and african players dont want to play quick football
Re: English Premier League Has Destroyed African Football by BizBooks(m): 1:17am On Feb 01, 2010
@ Vislabraye,

Secondly, I don't know of any influential Cameron player who plays in the EPL except Song who plays for Arsenal.

Assou-Ekotto of Tottenham is from Cameroun so also is Andre Bikey of Burnley.
Re: English Premier League Has Destroyed African Football by chelseabmw(m): 1:41am On Feb 01, 2010
yes poster, well said
Re: English Premier League Has Destroyed African Football by mamagee3(f): 1:47am On Feb 01, 2010
Nah, the Super Cows spoilt African Football.
Re: English Premier League Has Destroyed African Football by ladej(m): 2:27am On Feb 01, 2010
@ poster. wonderful analysis. we must stay true to our natural talents
Re: English Premier League Has Destroyed African Football by chidyke77(m): 6:41am On Feb 01, 2010
chelseabmw:

yes poster, well said
which side are u?
Re: English Premier League Has Destroyed African Football by smallboy2(m): 7:20am On Feb 01, 2010
Africans are poor. So they eat starchy food and carbohydrates, this makes them to be dull and weak. moreover why they make there first money they will feel the world has come to an end and will eat too much and be weak.
Re: English Premier League Has Destroyed African Football by An0nimus: 7:32am On Feb 01, 2010
Nice post.Remember however,that when pointing a finger the other fingers are in a way pointing back at you.
Re: English Premier League Has Destroyed African Football by princekevo(m): 7:42am On Feb 01, 2010
@OP.
In fact Mikel is a reliable case study to prove your analysis.
I thought i was the only one who discovered this.
Even on Naira here, you can hardly see any thread on NPL or their supporters. All you see are, all Man U fans Meet here, where are the blues show ur solidarity, Arsenal vs Chelsea, it makes front page, Chelsea vs Man U makes front page.
I was forced to opened a thread sometime last year on why we don't have any thread on NPL, supporters and our local players. Some people said there is nothing to talk abt Nigeria league. The funniest thing is that the moderator and who ever involved are accomplice to this. You can hardly see and any thread on NPL, news abt African football or sports on the front page, but we can have Man city vs Everton, Man U vs Bolton on the front page every weekend, even their FA cup makes front page on a Nigeria Site. It is really a sad thing, what does this tells us? That if they are in the position of our government they will also do less or nothing to promote and develop Nigerian League, coz they say Charity begins at ur respective corners.
Re: English Premier League Has Destroyed African Football by cheaphost: 8:42am On Feb 01, 2010
princekevo:

@OP.
In fact Mikel is a reliable case study to prove your analysis.
I thought i was the only one who discovered this.
Even on Naira here, you can hardly see any thread on NPL or their supporters. All you see are, all Man U fans Meet here, where are the blues show your solidarity, Arsenal vs Chelsea, it makes front page, Chelsea vs Man U makes front page.
I was forced to opened a thread sometime last year on why we don't have any thread on NPL, supporters and our local players. Some people said there is nothing to talk abt Nigeria league. The funniest thing is that the moderator and who ever involved are accomplice to this. You can hardly see and any thread on NPL, news abt African football or sports on the front page, but we can have Man city vs Everton, Man U vs Bolton on the front page every weekend, even their FA cup makes front page on a Nigeria Site. It is really a sad thing, what does this tells us? That if they are in the position of our government they will also do less or nothing to promote and develop Nigerian League, coz they say Charity begins at your respective corners.

You've said it all. I've never even found the EPL interesting because i don't like the kind of unskillfil football they play.
Re: English Premier League Has Destroyed African Football by chidichris(m): 9:47am On Feb 01, 2010
@topic,
very true but we must agree here that epl is an evil that we must embrace.
look at caf decission on togo. what is the joy of a soldier without rank?
in nigerian premier league, if eyimba is to host heartland, eyimba will take responsibilities of the officials that is flight ticket, hotel accomodation and feeding and at the end of the day, u see the ref paying back their caring manners on the pitch.
the truth is that we are not progressing.
while the nations cup was on, i told my friends that the best thing will be to scrap this competition or better still make it a competition for african based players.
look at the officiating - very poor and discouraging.
talk about the african yearly best player awards, they are given to europe based players who must have not done anything with the african football. how can the local players be encouraged? it is not even the epl, it is a case of europe football.
it offers everything about football while what we have back home provides political grounds for officials and organisers.
it is more political than sports.
Re: English Premier League Has Destroyed African Football by hollandis(f): 9:50am On Feb 01, 2010
Premiership is so overrated because of the influence of the English press.The English press controls a world wide audience because they are simply ''english'' ,english being the most official language is not helping matters. We should ask ourselves when last did england make it to the world cup semifinals or even lifted the UEFA cup?I think Its enough proof that the English league is poor.

If you witnessed the commentaries during the Nations cup, you will agree with me that ,the English commentators will protect everything English and the intergrity of their own,hence they went out of their way to support players like yakubu,Mikel,Kanu,Yobo and to a lesser extent Etuhu. Take the super eagles as a case example, the most celebrated players are non -premiership players ,Such names as Ikechukwu Uche(Spain),Obasi (Germany) and Osaze Odemwengie (Russia) just to mention a few.

Again during the Nations Cup,Shittu who himself is a premiership player ,proved that there are still many outstanding players in the premiership. By my analysis I am not in any way castigating players who play in the premiership,after all good players like Rooney and Giggs still play excellent football.My point is if a coach wants ''professional players'' and not ''local based players'' his eye must shift form the colourful and glamorous premiership to other league like spain and germany where excellent football is played.Afterall the much talked out premier players contributed to Nigeria's woeful outing at the concluded Nations Cup
Re: English Premier League Has Destroyed African Football by arshy(m): 10:45am On Feb 01, 2010
@Poster,
a very good analysis but i fault a lot of your argument. I think i strongly support the view below;

vislabraye:

You made a good analysis but you conclusion is false,

Firstly, the reason no Sub Saharan Nation has lifted up the cup has nothing to do with EPL. It has everythig to do with game techniques, team work and enterprising play.

Secondly, I don't know of any influential Cameron player who plays in the EPL except Song who plays for Arsenal. Arsenal does not play the typical English football, its a club that develops great players. If Song had been in an African league, do you think he would be this good.The funny thing is that the EPL claim that the influx of forieigners is affecting the game.

Even if you say Europe league is affecting our game, you would still be wrong.
When Man U and Portsmouth played against Nigerian clubs, why didn't our club with the "robust players" at our disposal win the game. Europe especially the premiership has made a +ve impact in our game. The fact is that the players featured had pass their peak or they are not in form,

Lets tell ourselves the truth, you can't stop a player from playing in Europe or EPL if he has the offer. All over the world, great players desire to play in the EPL. Money is involved, ofcourse yes.

While supporting the view above. How many of our players play in the EPL? they are not even upto half of the whole team. Two of the defenders (Yobo and Shittu), two in the midfield (Mikel and Ethuhu), and only Yakubu upfront. You can see that our problem is not the EPL, but our mentality.
Nigeria have brought politics into football. Gone are the days when coaches, players, and even NFF members were chosen based on merit and passion to serve the country, but now what do we see on the field of play. always having the wrong pegs in the wright holes.
Even a day old baby knows that Amodu has nothing in his head when it comes to football, so why appointing him as the coach?! (Abeg i no wan talk joo).
EPL is one of the major things guys are using to relax now, we look forward to every weekend to chat with guys, talk politics, talk babe (sef), even babes now join in the train.
To add to that, it is a source of living for those that know the business.
If it were to be days when Nigeria football is still being managed rightly, I tell you, i would still be mourning that defeat against Ghana. But, WTF! when Terry has nodded Chelsea back to the top of the league.
we need to be realistic here, and stop been unnecessarily optimistic
Re: English Premier League Has Destroyed African Football by omar22(m): 12:08pm On Feb 01, 2010
Look football has moved from the slow walking pace Brazilian father Tiko or Otto Gloria introduced us to in the 70’s “let the ball do the running” does not hack it anymore more, Brazil had to wait 24 years from 1970 before they won another world cup because they had to change their philosophy about the way the play, they had to mix their flair with the European speed! Brazil won the Copa America 2 years ago playing and ultra-defensive system and breaking fast on the counter attack. Am sorry but Nigeria still thinking about the walking pace football which is associated to the Super Eagles, the flying eagles or eaglets play with speed and power!!!! The super eagles are just a bunch of lazy so and so, who thinks posing on the football is more important to them, whereas a Swedish or S Korean player do the simple thing to the best of their ability. Danny Shittu doesn’t have the Skill but his job is to defend first and he puts his heart into it compared to Austine Eguavon who dwindles on the ball at the 1994 world that led to Italy’s equaliser… The Northern African players play in a league that has a professional setting, so they believe they don’t need to play in the European league, its easy for them to gather the players for the national team. So blaming the Premier league sub Sahara countries in ability to lift the nations cup in ludicrous… Theirs a reason why Benny Macarty couldn’t care less about playing for South Africa whereas an Egyptian player would give an arm to play for the national team,
Re: English Premier League Has Destroyed African Football by otokx(m): 12:45pm On Feb 01, 2010
Egypt Al alhy lost to Kano pillars yet al alhy contribute more players to the National squad than all the local teams in Nigeria. The problem is we ourselves and not even the EPL. Lets improve our facilities and make our league to be lucrative. Also let us ensure that our players don't say they are 18 when they are 36. Let only the fit and healthy engage in our sports then we shall see some progress. Most of our boys cannot run 1500m and yet you want them to win a match without moving around the pitch.
Re: English Premier League Has Destroyed African Football by omar22(m): 1:13pm On Feb 01, 2010
Egypt Al alhy lost to Kano pillars yet al alhy contribute more players to the National squad than all the local teams in Nigeria. The problem is we ourselves and not even the EPL. Lets improve our facilities and make our league to be lucrative. Also let us ensure that our players don't say they are 18 when they are 36. Let only the fit and healthy engage in our sports then we shall see some progress. Most of our boys cannot run 1500m and yet you want them to win a match without moving around the pitch.

Exactly!!!!!

Todays footballer should be able to cover between 7 - 10 miles every game even during the 1986 world in the heat of Mexico the players covered an average of 4 miles per game, compared to the South Korean's who covered between 8-12 miles during the 2002 WC,

I feel for Nigeria at South Africa
Re: English Premier League Has Destroyed African Football by Willyblinks(m): 1:30pm On Feb 01, 2010
@ poster
I'm sure you no longer watch soccer through a black & white TV is it b'cos it no longer displays output ? No but there are now better ways to enjoy watching, {thats a change} thus the type of soccer admired, loved, played and watched by people today has also changed. I w'll nt blame the EPL on our performance at the Nations cup, like a poster said just a few of them plays the EPL its rather on the FG{politics in nff }- NFF{wrong coach}- COACH{using out of peak players} Ghana showed that young players can be used, get them from the national league mix them with experienced ones from outside league and let these outgrown players alone, playing together like the Egyptians showed can also help thus more friendlies and those who responded to them be used in actual competition
Re: English Premier League Has Destroyed African Football by RecentPost: 1:49pm On Feb 01, 2010
Hmm! a situation where the HOME TEAM must win? the main reason for the decline in nigeria football is CORRUPTION,imagine a situation where there is no centre referee from nigeria in the Nations cup and you are here talking about EPL,people want to watch good football just yesterday i was busy watching , KINDERGHARTEEN VS MANYOO while nations cup final was going on,a country where there is no sanction for beation up a referee? abeg leave this country alone.NIGERIA IS GOING BACKWARD EVERY SEC and remember they are watching EPL in tunisia,south africa,egypt,usa,russia,brazil,australia and they still watch their own league
Re: English Premier League Has Destroyed African Football by asha80(m): 1:52pm On Feb 01, 2010
Another dimension to this is that fooball of the 70s,80s and early 90s was more of skill and technique while football of these days is more of pace and power which somehow makes football former much more aestethic to the eye than the later.

I mean players in the mold of Rui Costa,Relquilme,Zidane or what you might want to call quentisential playmaker is now a dying breed.
Re: English Premier League Has Destroyed African Football by Chrisbenogor(m): 2:10pm On Feb 01, 2010
Very well said, very well said.
Re: English Premier League Has Destroyed African Football by honeric01(m): 4:58pm On Feb 01, 2010
e go better one day one day
Re: English Premier League Has Destroyed African Football by mastalee(m): 5:12pm On Feb 01, 2010
@ Poster

I can't believe that this is your
first ever post in this forum?

You are so good , I think you
should be on TV. Really!
Re: English Premier League Has Destroyed African Football by duduspace(m): 5:20pm On Feb 01, 2010
Typical lazy post of the escapist African who sees everyone else as been responsible for his problems except himself? so many assumptions but little proven, an attempt to kill off a whole army of problems with a single silver bullet of an unproven hypothesis. A couple of questions for the poster:

1. Do all black sub saharan team consist only of players playing in the PL? please supply details of the Ivorian squad who I know to have a lot of players playing in the French league. Even our own team had players from Spain, Germany and France. Would you in the name of misplaced nationalism now enlarge the net of your hasty analysis to include these other leagues?

2. Must we play using these English PL players? if we really have developed our own leagues or youth system, shouldn't we be able to use local players as the Egyptians do (despite also using players in other leagues such as Zidan).

Your post has nothing to do with colonialism apart from that which exists in your imagination, it rather has more to do with a society of people unable to chart the best path for themselves by utilising the various synergies that exist within an increasingly globalised world where regional, national and ethnical barriers are increasingly being broken down and people are only interested in what serves up the "best" (depending on what your parameters are for defining what the best is).
Instead of always playing the victim card, it is time for Nigeria to learn how others have done it to synergise between their external exports and internal initiatives towards achieving success, the PL has come to stay, there is nothing anyone can do about it but I do recall Clemence Westerhof not using the likes of John Fashanu from the PL when he was the National coach. Nigerians should find out what works for them and stop complaining about what they have no control over, it is the easiest thing to do but the one that has no chance of resolving anything whatsoever.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Torgah Defends Nigeria Masters Title, Earns 2nd White Jacket / Nigeria Vs Senegal 2 - 0 (WAFU CUP FINAL) / Siasia Team List For Guinea And Ghana Encounter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.