Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,520 members, 7,816,264 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:28 AM

Anyone Doing An MBA In A Top School Without Work Experience? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Anyone Doing An MBA In A Top School Without Work Experience? (3627 Views)

How To Build 3 Years Work Experience In A Single Year As A Fresh Graduate / Please Narialanders I Need Your Help And Advice.(doing An Mba, Acca Or Ican). / Graduate Cv Without Work Experience/ How (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Anyone Doing An MBA In A Top School Without Work Experience? by Spanishfly(f): 12:00am On Jan 31, 2010
Ok not sure where to really post this that would attract more opinions but does anyone know about the GMAT exam and doing an MBA in a good and top school without any work experience?
Re: Anyone Doing An MBA In A Top School Without Work Experience? by Jaylon(m): 1:46am On Jan 31, 2010
I think you'll have better luck with responses if you post this thread in the Education board.
Re: Anyone Doing An MBA In A Top School Without Work Experience? by DisGuy: 12:39pm On Jan 31, 2010
Why will you wanna do a Masters or even an MBA without work experience?
I'm always amused by people rushing for more paper qualifications without experience
only to come out and fight for entry level roles, in some career it is required but in many you will be
playing catch up with the guys already in the system (those already working)

moved to career
Re: Anyone Doing An MBA In A Top School Without Work Experience? by Spanishfly(f): 7:41pm On Jan 31, 2010
Dis Guy:

Why will you wanna do a Masters or even an MBA without work experience?
I'm always amused by people rushing for more paper qualifications without experience
only to come out and fight for entry level roles, in some career it is required but in many you will be
playing catch up with the guys already in the system (those already working)

moved to career

What is wrong with doing a Masters or an MBA without work experience? Is it a bad thing and if so why? That's why I'm asking. What if one does not get a job immediately graduating what next?
Re: Anyone Doing An MBA In A Top School Without Work Experience? by DisGuy: 1:55pm On Feb 01, 2010
Most if not all MBA required people with good working experience as you will be doing a lot of case studies; ordinarily you should be able to just read and make suggestions but yours will be weak

In my final year in uni, for some modules we had to mix with students from other course and most of them were mature part time student working in industry, trust me we just felt like fish out of water when some discusssion came up basically went to sleep and some lecturers were really caught up with the mature  students forgetting some of us were still collecting pocket money  cheesy

Another reason why I think it's almost a waste of time is that you are meant to come out looking for middle management or atleast supervisory positions, I wouldnt employ someone with all the papers qualifications in the world over someone with experience
Re: Anyone Doing An MBA In A Top School Without Work Experience? by DisGuy: 2:31pm On Feb 01, 2010
Most of you know that the average number of years of full-time work experience has risen dramatically at the top B-schools. Schools that only recently averaged two or three years now average five. And that number keeps rising.
You don't want to apply too early. I have many ambitious students in my GMAT classes who insist on taking their shot at the brass ring with only two years of full-time work experience. (And that's by the time they would enter school, not when they plan to apply.) Although some of them are exceptionally bright and do well on the GMAT, very few of them make it into top-tier programs. Most end up "trading down" to a backup school or getting rejected altogether.

I have to admit that I agree with admissions officers who reject inexperienced applicants. The whole objective in assembling a business school class is to put together people who can share unique experiences from their industries. If you have two years in your industry and another applicant has five years in the same business, I'm going to take the more experienced candidate over you, even if his GMAT score is a little lower than yours.

http://www.mbaapplicant.com/5_experience.htm
Re: Anyone Doing An MBA In A Top School Without Work Experience? by DisGuy: 2:39pm On Feb 01, 2010
Spanishfly:

What is wrong with doing a Masters or an MBA without work experience? Is it a bad thing and if so why? That's why I'm asking. What if one does not get a job immediately graduating what next?

Depends on where you are, If you are in the UK there are quality work experience programmes for graduates now on; you can even work 25hrs/week for 6months for some top firms (very competitive though), many volunteering opportunities around as well where you can atleast get good working experience with updated reference

If you are in nigeria, you should consider networking just keep digging for uncle/brother/aunty-someone who knows someone that works somewhere dont limit yourself to one city/state or you can attached yourself to a proper NGO with structure so you can get something relevant doing
Re: Anyone Doing An MBA In A Top School Without Work Experience? by Spanishfly(f): 5:42pm On Feb 01, 2010
Dis Guy:

Most if not all MBA required people with good working experience as you will be doing a lot of case studies; ordinarily you should be able to just read and make suggestions but yours will be weak

In my final year in uni, for some modules we had to mix with students from other course and most of them were mature part time student working in industry, trust me we just felt like fish out of water when some discusssion came up basically went to sleep and some lecturers were really caught up with the mature students forgetting some of us were still collecting pocket money cheesy

Another why I think it's almost a waste of time is that you are meant to come out looking for middle management or atleast supervisory positions, I wouldnt employ someone with all the papers qualifications in the world over someone with experience

Ok thanks for the info. I guess I don't have to prepare for the GMAT any time soon and I am in the US. Just wondering what one could do after graduation and no job immediately.
Re: Anyone Doing An MBA In A Top School Without Work Experience? by DisGuy: 5:49pm On Feb 01, 2010
Spanishfly:

Ok thanks for the info. I guess I don't have to prepare for the GMAT any time soon and I am in the US. Just wondering what one could do after graduation and no job immediately.

Please dont let me discourage you!! Wait for more experienced members especially those in the US
and always consult your career advisors about your opyions

What did you study?
Re: Anyone Doing An MBA In A Top School Without Work Experience? by Spanishfly(f): 5:53pm On Feb 01, 2010
Dis Guy:

Please dont let me discourage you!! Wait for more experienced members especially those in the US
and always consult your career advisors about your opyions

What did you study?

Finance and Economics
Re: Anyone Doing An MBA In A Top School Without Work Experience? by mikedanza(m): 12:43pm On Feb 05, 2010
To write the GMAT u need like 250 dollars for registration (Only two centres in Nigeria, the last time i wrote- Lekki and Abuja). U also need to buy books (GMAT books like Kaplan etc) to prepare. Then do online tests.

U also need to start online applications to the schools u want. U can update your scores later.

Top schools like Wharton, INSEAD, Yale, Cambridge, Harvard, IMD, etc usually require work experience except, if u can score a very ridiculous mark in your GMAT (600+ and above can do)!

Usualy when u score very high, top schools will begin to write u on their own (selcet the option to allow sharing of your scores with partners etc)

The total score (called a perfect score) is 800. But if you can click 600 and above then there is hope for you. Else your chances for a very top school is limited. (other lower MBAs might)

I went to Hult Int'l Biz School (BOston, London, Dubai (was here) and Shanghai Campuses). But I left after a short stay due to the world economic meltdown. The essence of an MBA is to get a high paying job after graduation (around 70-100k dolls or more is the usual target- but to get that high u generally need to have been exeperienced).

U can mail me on for more info. No fees required, thank you! (pls do not flood my mail box with spam O! I jus wan help)

(1) (Reply)

Electronics Manufacturing Companies In Nigeria / Can One Be Called An Engineer After Registering With ImechE? / How To Start A Career In Public Speaking In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.