Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,513 members, 7,816,244 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:10 AM

Thethe Rule Of Law Is Supreme By Sola Adeyeye - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Thethe Rule Of Law Is Supreme By Sola Adeyeye (401 Views)

Appeal Court Nullifies Dayo Adeyeye’s Election - Abiodun Olujimi Declared Winner / Disregard For Rule Of Law Worst Corruption Than Stealing Of Public Funds– Stuart / Saraki: Why I Want To Be President - Rule Of Law, Fairness & Justice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Thethe Rule Of Law Is Supreme By Sola Adeyeye by ridwanomooba: 8:19pm On Jul 05, 2017
TheThe Rule of Law is Supreme
By Sola Adeyeye

Despite a political atmosphere that looks so tempestuous, I remain quite optimistic. I strongly believe in the Buhari-Osinbajo government. The noise level from the flurry of endless analysts and commentators create more hoopla than are necessary. It is no big deal when a nominee is denied confirmation by a legislature.

So far, no one has said that the Nigerian Senate manufactured the DSS report that caustically scathed Magu. Would American legal luminaries have gone to press decrying the American senate for paying attention to an FBI report on a nominee requiring confirmation? Would an American President dare resubmit such a name to senate without first resolving the damning indictment of his nominee by the FBI? Nigeria does not have a monarchy; we have a presidential democracy. Alas, tension is a constitutive element of a virile democracy.

I am a strong (perhaps fanatical) supporter of Buhari-Osinbajo. But they are human; they have not handled some things right. Pundits bellowing as if the ongoing saga is purely a legal matter are wrong! Even if they are right, legal matters are not finalized by the opinions of the loudest lawyers; they are concluded by the ruling of a court of competent jurisdiction! Celebrated lawyers do not constitute a court! In any case, the issues at stake are as much matters of politics as they are of law. The earlier the frontline dramatis personae grasp and internalize this, the better.

For the avoidance of doubt, let me state here again that I was a strong supporter of Magu. I enthusiastically canvassed support for his confirmation. I shouted the loudest "Yea!" when the vote was taken on his confirmation.

However, once he has not been confirmed, it is my categorical view that a nominee whose nomination has been rejected by the senate cannot continue to function in that office. Otherwise, what was the essence of the legal provision for confirmation?

Sadly, rumors are being peddled that senators are being steered in a ploy to heighten a Saraki-Osinbajo conflict to a point where the Acting President can be impeached so that Saraki can take over as Acting President. I am not aware of such a ploy within the senate.

More importantly, I dare say that were such a ploy to exist, it would woefully and precipitously fail. What matters therefore is that Prof Osinbajo must not be misled into siding with those talking as if their own views are the views of the Supreme Court of Nigeria.

Furthermore, If the senate's rejection of a nomination is immaterial, why should the senate bother going through the exercise? Yusuf Ali was correct; the Nigerian Constitution does not envisage a ceremonial legislature that must rubbers-stamp every wish of the Executive.

A quick corollary to this firm opinion however is the very poor image and negative perception of the senate in the eye of the public. This pitches emotive issue of morality against the sanctity of the law. The balancing of these two perspectives remains a challenge for the senate and equally for a public that is obviously and justifiably angry.

One solution is to be diligent with the court process rather to then say that because of public anger at perceived misdeeds within the senate, the institution should be further weakened. Otherwise, let us weaken the military, the court or any agency because as with the legislature, there are misdeeds in these institutions too!

Osinbajo is God's gift to Nigeria at this time. His calm temperament and intellectual fecundity suit him for the challenges of his office. He has 100% of my support. And that means I must be courageous not to let him veer into needless battles. Moreover, as Attorney-General of Lagos State, Prof Osinbajo was the heart of the Tinubu engine that curtailed, on many occasions, the proclivities of the Obasanjo regime towards lawlessness. With such an icon at the helms of our republic's affairs, the Rule of Law must always be supreme. The republic must avoid procedural shenanigans and political rigmarole. That goes for the legislature as well as the executive.

We shall overcome. Rule of Law is Supreme
By Sola Adeyeye

Despite a political atmosphere that looks so tempestuous, I remain quite optimistic. I strongly believe in the Buhari-Osinbajo government. The noise level from the flurry of endless analysts and commentators create more hoopla than are necessary. It is no big deal when a nominee is denied confirmation by a legislature.

So far, no one has said that the Nigerian Senate manufactured the DSS report that caustically scathed Magu. Would American legal luminaries have gone to press decrying the American senate for paying attention to an FBI report on a nominee requiring confirmation? Would an American President dare resubmit such a name to senate without first resolving the damning indictment of his nominee by the FBI? Nigeria does not have a monarchy; we have a presidential democracy. Alas, tension is a constitutive element of a virile democracy.

I am a strong (perhaps fanatical) supporter of Buhari-Osinbajo. But they are human; they have not handled some things right. Pundits bellowing as if the ongoing saga is purely a legal matter are wrong! Even if they are right, legal matters are not finalized by the opinions of the loudest lawyers; they are concluded by the ruling of a court of competent jurisdiction! Celebrated lawyers do not constitute a court! In any case, the issues at stake are as much matters of politics as they are of law. The earlier the frontline dramatis personae grasp and internalize this, the better.

For the avoidance of doubt, let me state here again that I was a strong supporter of Magu. I enthusiastically canvassed support for his confirmation. I shouted the loudest "Yea!" when the vote was taken on his confirmation.

However, once he has not been confirmed, it is my categorical view that a nominee whose nomination has been rejected by the senate cannot continue to function in that office. Otherwise, what was the essence of the legal provision for confirmation?

Sadly, rumors are being peddled that senators are being steered in a ploy to heighten a Saraki-Osinbajo conflict to a point where the Acting President can be impeached so that Saraki can take over as Acting President. I am not aware of such a ploy within the senate.

More importantly, I dare say that were such a ploy to exist, it would woefully and precipitously fail. What matters therefore is that Prof Osinbajo must not be misled into siding with those talking as if their own views are the views of the Supreme Court of Nigeria.

Furthermore, If the senate's rejection of a nomination is immaterial, why should the senate bother going through the exercise? Yusuf Ali was correct; the Nigerian Constitution does not envisage a ceremonial legislature that must rubbers-stamp every wish of the Executive.

A quick corollary to this firm opinion however is the very poor image and negative perception of the senate in the eye of the public. This pitches emotive issue of morality against the sanctity of the law. The balancing of these two perspectives remains a challenge for the senate and equally for a public that is obviously and justifiably angry.

One solution is to be diligent with the court process rather to then say that because of public anger at perceived misdeeds within the senate, the institution should be further weakened. Otherwise, let us weaken the military, the court or any agency because as with the legislature, there are misdeeds in these institutions too!

Osinbajo is God's gift to Nigeria at this time. His calm temperament and intellectual fecundity suit him for the challenges of his office. He has 100% of my support. And that means I must be courageous not to let him veer into needless battles. Moreover, as Attorney-General of Lagos State, Prof Osinbajo was the heart of the Tinubu engine that curtailed, on many occasions, the proclivities of the Obasanjo regime towards lawlessness. With such an icon at the helms of our republic's affairs, the Rule of Law must always be supreme. The republic must avoid procedural shenanigans and political rigmarole. That goes for the legislature as well as the executive.

We shall overcome.
Re: Thethe Rule Of Law Is Supreme By Sola Adeyeye by shukuokukobambi: 8:54pm On Jul 05, 2017
Hmmm......this is what fela called "oro di huh, oro pa esi je, oro di huh". Meaning tori don get k-leg but Prof Sola Adeyeye is right.

There's no k-leg here at all if we all can treat this matter with some honesty. Confirmation of nominees is both legal and political like Prof Sola Adeyeye just said and its how its even done in our great example, the USA where we see the Republicans refusing to even entertain hearing the nomination of judge Neil Gorsuch till Obama left office.

Whether Magu is a saint or Saraki is a devil, its within the Senate's right to confirm or reject a nominee. Its for the presidency to play its politics well.

The elites playing and quarrelling again while the machinery of governance grounds to a halt. Nigeria we hail thee

2 Likes

Re: Thethe Rule Of Law Is Supreme By Sola Adeyeye by FeloniousFelon: 9:00pm On Jul 05, 2017
Afonjas remembering rule of law now when they need it most.

Where was your sense of justice when Buhari was breaking every rule of law?

Fool, know that osinbanjo will be impeached and there is nothing you fools can do to reverse it.

Idiocrats!

(1) (Reply)

Lady Claims A Baby Almost Drowned In The Lekki Flood Water / By God's grace, I Will Become President of Nigeria In 2019 – Fayose / Nigeria Has Been Turned Into A Jungle By Buhari And His Family

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.