Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,778 members, 7,820,718 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:11 PM

Medicine, Pharmacy, Nursing, Medical Laboratory Science, Or Physiotherapy? - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Medicine, Pharmacy, Nursing, Medical Laboratory Science, Or Physiotherapy? (64017 Views)

Ogungbemi Tolulope, Best Graduating Student UNILAG, Physiotherapy Department / 21 Universities That Offer Medical Laboratory Science In Nigeria / Help Me With Universities That Offers MEDICAL LABORATORY SCIENCE(MLS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Medicine, Pharmacy, Nursing, Medical Laboratory Science, Or Physiotherapy? by Wishaky(f): 9:25pm On Sep 18, 2017
Bigsteveg:

Okay.
Which side if I may ask?

Same place naa ni
Re: Medicine, Pharmacy, Nursing, Medical Laboratory Science, Or Physiotherapy? by Bigsteveg(m): 10:20pm On Sep 18, 2017
Wishaky:

Same place naa ni
Okay. But it was just an innocent question.
Re: Medicine, Pharmacy, Nursing, Medical Laboratory Science, Or Physiotherapy? by Catalyst001(m): 1:54am On Sep 19, 2017
hemmagiz:

No,being a pharmacist is good.....He will just spend 9 yrs.. How first going for pharmacology..then going for pharmacy.... 4yrs + 5yrs.. He could work for the federal government or state government...open his own pharmacy store..and can build his own pharmaceutical company where he can produce his own drugs...a pharmacologist can produce drugs but not licensed to sell the drugs...so they distribute it to a pharmacist to sell.. .a pharmacist just sells....drugs...they don't produce....so that is a piece of cake bro...
9 years
Hope u know what u are saying and from where do u get this info

Nest time,try and find out very well before u say something on what you dont know

Smh
Re: Medicine, Pharmacy, Nursing, Medical Laboratory Science, Or Physiotherapy? by Catalyst001(m): 1:55am On Sep 19, 2017
eleojo23:

Wow...I said I will not comment but I have to tell you that you are mixing things up...
really mixing it up
Re: Medicine, Pharmacy, Nursing, Medical Laboratory Science, Or Physiotherapy? by Wishaky(f): 7:59am On Sep 19, 2017
Bigsteveg:

Okay. But it was just an innocent question.

Yeah Bro, mine was also a virgin answer.
Meet me in the other room.

1 Like

Re: Medicine, Pharmacy, Nursing, Medical Laboratory Science, Or Physiotherapy? by Bigsteveg(m): 10:41am On Sep 19, 2017
Wishaky:

Yeah Bro, mine was also a virgin answer.
Meet me in the other room.
Time and address.
Re: Medicine, Pharmacy, Nursing, Medical Laboratory Science, Or Physiotherapy? by Wishaky(f): 11:34am On Sep 19, 2017
Bigsteveg:

Time and address.

Same time and same venue
Re: Medicine, Pharmacy, Nursing, Medical Laboratory Science, Or Physiotherapy? by giusjr(m): 6:59pm On Oct 11, 2017
poyebad:

Thanks olusegxz. I received a mail from a pharmacist this morning sharing his personal experience. Based on what he wrote (quoted below) I believe you have a wrong information about pharmacists, and I even think may be earning so much more than doctors.

"Hello poyebad.
I came across a post initiated by you on Nairaland and I decided to share my personal experience to encourage your brother. This experience is not just mine, similar pattern is experienced by pharmacists all around the country. Pharmacists who are ready to work and not the ones who are comfortable with the meagre salaries being offered them both in the public and private sectors. Even if you're receiving #300k monthly as a pharmacist, it still qualifies as a pharmacist. The pharmacist is trained to function as a healthcare provider and at the same time as a businessman. I make bold to tell you that you cannot find a pharmacist who satisfies both aspects of his training that is not outstandingly wealthy. I worked briefly in a hospital and after just six months I decided to work as a pharmaceutical rep where my monthly target was in excess of #30,000,000 monthly. That's what set me thinking: why help another to make #30,000,000 monthly when I have all it takes (except the capital at the time) to make the same for myself. I built a little capital from working for the company from salaries and commissions. After three years working for the company and about seven years ago, I set up my own community pharmacy. Right now I have an allied production industry that produces about 23 products. My average cumulative daily sales (from the community pharmacy and from the production company) is approximately #57,000,000 (calculated for the first half of the year 2017). While I am not going to give you an idea of how much of that I pay myself as income, I believe this information should help you convince your friend.

Let me conclude this way: very few professions have the capacity to make you super rich in Nigeria. One of them is agriculture, the other one is pharmacy. Make no mistake about it, medicine can not provide you this kind of financial edge, except few exceptionally business savvy doctors who have learnt to step outside the comfort of their meagre comfortable salaries and into the world of medical business. In the end it makes not much difference what your friend decides to study. The more important factor is the kind and quality of person he is. If he is the salary type, then medicine is good for him. But if he is the type interested in building financial empire, then pharmacy is what he should go for.
"

God bless you bro... You really make my day.
Re: Medicine, Pharmacy, Nursing, Medical Laboratory Science, Or Physiotherapy? by olusegxz: 9:33pm On Nov 05, 2017
Jman06:
@olusegxz, stop the LIES, pharmacists function without doctors!

You said pharmacists cannot function until doctors tell them what to do? That's a fallacy of the highest order. Even in hospitals, pharmacists are there to ensure that the right kind of medications are dispensed to patients ie they check the doctor's prescriptions and make corrections when needed. This is because they have better knowledge of drugs than MDs, haven put in more years learning pharmacology than MDs aside the knowledge of pharmaceutical chemistry and pharmaceutics which the doctors don't have. They also prepare extemporaneous formulations which are drug preparations or physiological fluids intended for immediate use in the hospital and not for long term storage. They go on rounds to help correct prescription errors and to ensure proper use and administration of drugs to IN-patients.

The process of discovery and manufacture of drugs is a lot of WORK. What comes out as MEDICINE goes through a lot and Pharmacists are in charge here

This is a rather late post so don't know if a reply is appropriate. Are you really a pharmacist though? And where did you train. There is a difference between an emotional remark and status quo fact. No one is disputing that there is hard work in studying pharmacies. In fact pharmacy had a bitter reputation back then in Med school. But emotion never thrived where there is organisation, levels of dispensation and discipline as there is in the health field. This is done all over the world. The pharmacist cannot prescribe and is not trained to. All a pharmacist is licensed to do is dispense. That is why the doctor is the top of the health chain. Where a prescription is written for a pharmacist to dispense. If you don't know this then you are either not in practise or never trained. This is not to bring any health professional down, no we are all working towards the same goal neither is it a power play. This is the health modus of operandus world over. And yes by you cannot function I mean what are you dispensing if you don't have a prescription. Even over the counter medications your capacity is to 'advise' the patient and refer to the doctor if the patient needs a proper diagnosis.

Ofcourse all this is where professional conduct is practised. As it is well known the abuse of the drug system and trade is bastardised in nigeria. And even a tom, dick or ikenna can dispense drugs.

I also clearly stated if you went into sales or company reps you have a better 'lucrative' chance which only a very few get. #fact
Re: Medicine, Pharmacy, Nursing, Medical Laboratory Science, Or Physiotherapy? by olusegxz: 10:03pm On Nov 05, 2017
poyebad:

Thanks olusegxz. I received a mail from a pharmacist this morning sharing his personal experience. Based on what he wrote (quoted below) I believe you have a wrong information about pharmacists, and I even think may be earning so much more than doctors.

"Hello poyebad.
I came across a post initiated by you on Nairaland and I decided to share my personal experience to encourage your brother. This experience is not just mine, similar pattern is experienced by pharmacists all around the country. Pharmacists who are ready to work and not the ones who are comfortable with the meagre salaries being offered them both in the public and private sectors. Even if you're receiving #300k monthly as a pharmacist, it still qualifies as a pharmacist. The pharmacist is trained to function as a healthcare provider and at the same time as a businessman. I make bold to tell you that you cannot find a pharmacist who satisfies both aspects of his training that is not outstandingly wealthy. I worked briefly in a hospital and after just six months I decided to work as a pharmaceutical rep where my monthly target was in excess of #30,000,000 monthly. That's what set me thinking: why help another to make #30,000,000 monthly when I have all it takes (except the capital at the time) to make the same for myself. I built a little capital from working for the company from salaries and commissions. After three years working for the company and about seven years ago, I set up my own community pharmacy. Right now I have an allied production industry that produces about 23 products. My average cumulative daily sales (from the community pharmacy and from the production company) is approximately #57,000,000 (calculated for the first half of the year 2017). While I am not going to give you an idea of how much of that I pay myself as income, I believe this information should help you convince your friend.

Let me conclude this way: very few professions have the capacity to make you super rich in Nigeria. One of them is agriculture, the other one is pharmacy. Make no mistake about it, medicine can not provide you this kind of financial edge, except few exceptionally business savvy doctors who have learnt to step outside the comfort of their meagre comfortable salaries and into the world of medical business. In the end it makes not much difference what your friend decides to study. The more important factor is the kind and quality of person he is. If he is the salary type, then medicine is good for him. But if he is the type interested in building financial empire, then pharmacy is what he should go for.
"

Yes I totally agree, I did say the good thing about pharmacy is it's very diverse. Clinical pharmacy is what my post was majorly about. Community pharmacy is different and more lucrative. Even emeka has become a millionaire from drug sales. So I agree on that. But how many people will have that business success, I personally know many pharmacies who opened stores and had to close down due to the drug mafias who sell at wholesale price you possibly cannot compete with. Or the agbo sellers who have taken 60% of the lower income earner market. It's easy to state numbers bro but trust me I know many people in this trade and lots are in red, and complaining. I myself partnered in a chemist store in Anthony village some years back and while it was doing ok it was also struggling like most other small stores who are honest will tell you. It's not a easy field, it has a mafia so be warned.

1 Like

Re: Medicine, Pharmacy, Nursing, Medical Laboratory Science, Or Physiotherapy? by olusegxz: 10:37pm On Nov 05, 2017
Blacquin:
what about medical biochemistry

Not lucrative. Not a clinical field so you have to work in production. Tough job to get. Good luck
Re: Medicine, Pharmacy, Nursing, Medical Laboratory Science, Or Physiotherapy? by olusegxz: 10:40pm On Nov 05, 2017
Jman06:
@olusegxz, stop the LIES, pharmacists function without doctors!

You said pharmacists cannot function until doctors tell them what to do? That's a fallacy of the highest order. Even in hospitals, pharmacists are there to ensure that the right kind of medications are dispensed to patients ie they check the doctor's prescriptions and make corrections when needed. This is because they have better knowledge of drugs than MDs, haven put in more years learning pharmacology than MDs aside the knowledge of pharmaceutical chemistry and pharmaceutics which the doctors don't have. They also prepare extemporaneous formulations which are drug preparations or physiological fluids intended for immediate use in the hospital and not for long term storage. They go on rounds to help correct prescription errors and to ensure proper use and administration of drugs to IN-patients.

The process of discovery and manufacture of drugs is a lot of WORK. What comes out as MEDICINE goes through a lot and Pharmacists are in charge here

Plus I said technically. Ofcourse no one needs anyone to function. I was referring to prescription and dispension of drugs.
Re: Medicine, Pharmacy, Nursing, Medical Laboratory Science, Or Physiotherapy? by Jman06(m): 11:08pm On Nov 05, 2017
olusegxz:

Plus I said technically. Ofcourse no one needs anyone to function. I was referring to prescription and dispension of drugs.
Your saying that doctors tell pharmacists what to do was wrong,because though the doctor generates the prescription,the pharmacist vets such prescriptions and make corrections where necessary due to his superior knowledge of drugs. In the developed countries, doctors go on ward rounds with the pharmacists so that they could help ensure that drugs are properly administered to patients by checking and correcting doctors prescription errors. That was the reason for the introduction of the pharm.D program.

So considering the above scenario, who tells who what to do?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Medicine, Pharmacy, Nursing, Medical Laboratory Science, Or Physiotherapy? by poyebad: 7:15pm On Apr 20, 2018
Pharmacists and even some selected nurses now prescribe. I asked around and that's what I got. That the health systems of many countries are progressively moving towards allowing the true expert on drugs to write prescription. For two reasons, 1) this frees doctors to attend to more serious cases, and 2) reduces the rate of errors medical doctors make in prescription writing.

I think this makes sense.

I personally have always trusted the judgement of pharmacists when it comes to medications. I am always very impressed with how approachable they are, and they take time to listen and explain to you. You could ask them anything relating to drugs and they are always so forthcoming and polite. I have seen a few doctors who actually got offended when questions were asked concerning the prescribed drugs. I was like, "Shooo!!! I should have right to know the drugs my pops was being given now". The guy just offhandedly told me I should let him do his job. Before I could protest he had called the next person.

1 Like

Re: Medicine, Pharmacy, Nursing, Medical Laboratory Science, Or Physiotherapy? by poyebad: 11:28pm On Oct 07, 2018
Thanks all. Reading through the contributions here I learned so much about different health professions in Nigeria. We also had to do consultations with individual professionals, Pharmacists, MBBS, and MLScientists, both those doing very well and those that are not doing so well (most of them never really admitted they weren't doing so well)... And I am happy to inform you that my brother is now in 100L Obafemi Awolowo University, studying pharmacy.

And he is very excited studying the course. He seemed to have had his path outlined before him now: study pharmacy and go into private practice where he will get to engage patients directly and at the same time build the business.

My advice is for individuals looking for admission to put in a lot of thought and question-asking before choosing a course. The process of seeking information and understanding alone is very enriching. We met and interacted with awesome scientists, doctors and pharmacists... I must also say that none of them was rude like some of those that contributed in this thread. (I still do not know why Nigerians are so darn angry on Nairaland)... In the end, I have gained fresh perspectives about an area I didn't know much about.

Thank you Nairaland.

4 Likes

Re: Medicine, Pharmacy, Nursing, Medical Laboratory Science, Or Physiotherapy? by Eligant1: 5:33pm On Aug 31, 2019
poyebad:
Thanks all. Reading through the contributions here I learned so much about different health professions in Nigeria. We also had to do consultations with individual professionals, Pharmacists, MBBS, and MLScientists, both those doing very well and those that are not doing so well (most of them never really admitted they weren't doing so well)... And I am happy to inform you that my brother is now in 100L Obafemi Awolowo University, studying pharmacy.

And he is very excited studying the course. He seemed to have had his path outlined before him now: study pharmacy and go into private practice where he will get to engage patients directly and at the same time build the business.

My advice is for individuals looking for admission to put in a lot of thought and question-asking before choosing a course. The process of seeking information and understanding alone is very enriching. We met and interacted with awesome scientists, doctors and pharmacists... I must also say that none of them was rude like some of those that contributed in this thread. (I still do not know why Nigerians are so darn angry on Nairaland)... In the end, I have gained fresh perspectives about an area I didn't know much about.

Thank you Nairaland.

You’re an intelligent person. We are in a bit of a situation right now because my 16year old brother is fighting to get into Pharmacy school, because he changed his mind at the last minute.

One lucky student will take his place in Med school, as he passed the cut off point for UNIBEN Medicine, but he doesn’t want it anymore.

He chose Medicine earlier because he wanted to join me in the US and practice here, during his visits I took him on a tour at the hospital where I work. Now he’s changed his mind and want to only visit the US and practice in Nigeria as a Pharmacist instead.

By the way, Nigerians get angry when their pride is wounded.
Re: Medicine, Pharmacy, Nursing, Medical Laboratory Science, Or Physiotherapy? by Eligant1: 5:50pm On Aug 31, 2019
ensamy:
They are alot of Frustrated Doctors, Pharmacist, Med.lab.sct, Nurses and radiographers now in Nigeria.
Success in any field of study is determined by your personal determination, hardwork and God's favour. The most successful people in Nigeria did not study any of the above courses.
The only little advantage the above courses can give you is that atleast in any harsh economy you eat three Square meal, build a bungalow and buy a car that's all.
Besides any Business man can own a pharmacy, hospital or diagnostics centre and then employ the professionals to work for you.
So no course is better than the other. MBBS,MLS, B.Pharm, Nursing and B.Rad are not better than B.A in Igbo,B.A yuroba, B.A Eng, B.Sc Zoology etc. grin

You’re 100% correct. I keep saying it, Business is the King of all careers.

1 Like

Re: Medicine, Pharmacy, Nursing, Medical Laboratory Science, Or Physiotherapy? by Jman06(m): 6:05pm On Aug 31, 2019
Eligant1:

You’re 100% correct. I keep saying it, Business is the King of all careers.
Don't let anybody deceive you! Some courses like pharmacy even prepare you for the business aside the professional aspect. They have a very rich curriculum that is far richer than your BA, BSc and what have you. The difference is very wide bro!!!
Re: Medicine, Pharmacy, Nursing, Medical Laboratory Science, Or Physiotherapy? by PublicHealthNig: 2:17pm On Sep 01, 2019
Medicine..... See UNIBEN Courses and Their Cut off Marks

if You are already a student this is How To Register Uniben Courses Online
Re: Medicine, Pharmacy, Nursing, Medical Laboratory Science, Or Physiotherapy? by Dannonye(f): 9:41pm On Dec 01, 2019
Depends Biomedical engineering sounds suitable if he wants to do all
Speaking from experience
Re: Medicine, Pharmacy, Nursing, Medical Laboratory Science, Or Physiotherapy? by Michano22: 10:02pm On Apr 17, 2020
adepeter26:
udusok
hello, pls can 312 get me MLS in udusok? I'm from non catchment area
Re: Medicine, Pharmacy, Nursing, Medical Laboratory Science, Or Physiotherapy? by Mallamsahoo1: 4:24am On Apr 18, 2020
Yes.. You're good to go.
Re: Medicine, Pharmacy, Nursing, Medical Laboratory Science, Or Physiotherapy? by opera1(m): 6:59am On Apr 18, 2020
Michano22:

hello, pls can 312 get me MLS in udusok? I'm from non catchment area
Can GET MLS in any approved university in Nigeria.
Re: Medicine, Pharmacy, Nursing, Medical Laboratory Science, Or Physiotherapy? by Starkid3010(m): 1:56pm On Apr 18, 2020
jaajaa:
Op am a medical doc, I will strongly advice against being a doctor!!
Pharmacy is far better even, Radiography buh medicine no no in naija
Unless he wants to earn 100k to 120k nd read for the rest of his God given life.
...that you earn 100k monthly doesn't mean all Med docs earn that... And it also depends
Re: Medicine, Pharmacy, Nursing, Medical Laboratory Science, Or Physiotherapy? by Starkid3010(m): 1:57pm On Apr 18, 2020
poyebad:

Thanks for your contribution.

Two medical doctors in my family right now have no job. That is a sufficient clue for us to have a rethink.

@the bolded: how will the doctor survive in the meantime while he/she is rendering free services. I understand the concept of rendering free services but for how long, and how do you get fed in the meantime?
maybe they're not qualified t9 get the job or they're only deceiving you....
Do more researches
Re: Medicine, Pharmacy, Nursing, Medical Laboratory Science, Or Physiotherapy? by iaamxavier(m): 7:13pm On Apr 18, 2020
poyebad:

Thank you Nairaland.

Congratulations to your brother, this thread also opened my eyes alot and I'm very happy I chose to study pharmacy

As men of honour?
Re: Medicine, Pharmacy, Nursing, Medical Laboratory Science, Or Physiotherapy? by DonJ7(m): 1:58am On May 04, 2020
Hello guys.

Pls i need ur advice, which one should i go for :

200L Dentistry or 100L Medicine.

Ur answers is highly required !!!
Re: Medicine, Pharmacy, Nursing, Medical Laboratory Science, Or Physiotherapy? by Bapy(m): 7:18pm On Jun 18, 2020
iaamxavier:

Congratulations to your brother, this thread also opened my eyes alot and I'm very happy I chose to study pharmacy

As men of honour?
we join elbow cheesy
iaamxavier:

As men of honour?
Re: Medicine, Pharmacy, Nursing, Medical Laboratory Science, Or Physiotherapy? by vhuqnl(m): 3:10pm On Jul 22, 2020
Maxvasia:
Yes but i assume that as a man, he would naturally strive to the height of any career he chooses and my point is....given that as a constant, MEDICINE is obviously the best of them. U get?
be like say u just graduated that time. but I am sure say ur eyes don clear now. best ko, buhari ni
Re: Medicine, Pharmacy, Nursing, Medical Laboratory Science, Or Physiotherapy? by vhuqnl(m): 3:32pm On Jul 22, 2020
olusegxz:
It's on the 4th page now but will still put in my two kobo as a doctor trained in Nigeria and now working as a Aesthetic surgeon in Australia. Firstly what qualifies a good health degree. In the health field like the military there is a strict hierarchy. This is to ensure orderliness in the business of saving lives. Top is the medical doctor/dentist, followed by pharmacist, pharmacologists, physiotherapists etc. Then nurses.

So in terms of which is best in the health field obviously a medical doctor or dentist. A pharmacist technically cannot function without a doctor as doctors tell them what to dispense for the patients. Pretty boring career. Nurses, well, dirtiest of the list and least paid also but vital to the health field probably the most vital you will be surprised what a primary health nurse can do in the absence of a doctor.

So which is best economically. Well the health field in Nigeria is not lucrative. None of them are. If he is after money he should find greener pastures now before it's too late. But then in Nigeria of today which occupation really pays well. I think we are all in the same economic downturn boat. But should he insist on the health industry he should be humble and ready to serve with brain, time and compassion.

Doctors generally earn about N150k to about N270k, and that salary scale drops rapidly for the rest of the list.

Pharmacists usually don't feel compelled to work in hospitals so they have a wider job reach without the usual question 'But you are a doctor why are you working in a bank'. So that gives pharmacists an edge. However no matter where they work I won't expect them to earn more than the 130 to 200k margin on average.

Medical lab guys don't earn a lot at all. Some big diagnostic centers like Mecure pay their lab scientists about 100k. If you get this offer as a Med lab scientist you are doing ok.

Nursing is bottom but you can work in private hospitals and earn about 70k. And you can do private home care for some rich folks. So if you are smart you can actually be smiling home more than the doctor. If you are a pretty nurse then the gods are smiling at you. Those private jobs will come in flocks.

Radiography is also good salary scale between 70k to about 120k. Lots of jobs in diagnostic centers.

Abroad

Nursing is best if you can travel, followed by medicine, then dentistry and etc. Pharmacists don't earn a whole lot abroad.

Conclusion

If your brother is smart enough to pass fellowship exams and foreign board exams he should do medicine or dentistry and secure a future abroad he can return to nigeria as a visiting surgeon or consultant and demand 3million per elective surgery depends on procedure. While working abroad he can earn between $6k to $15k a month. This goes up as you advance your career.

yen yen yen. people like you are CNA abroad but lying to people you are doctor. might even be a physician assistant. no offience

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Meet Bukola Alada, Best Graduating Student At The Nigerian Law School 2021 / Successful Nigerian Academics In The Worlds Top Universities. / Lady Who Turned A Stripper To Pay Her School Fees Celebrates Graduation (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.