Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,039 members, 7,818,073 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:56 AM

Why We Cannot Defend Osinbajo Over Nominees’ Confirmation – AGF, Malami - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why We Cannot Defend Osinbajo Over Nominees’ Confirmation – AGF, Malami (2096 Views)

Kingsley Otuaro And Timipre Sylva Meet Osinbajo Over Oil Shutdown Threats / Cabal Targets Osinbajo Over Actions Taken As Ag President / Saraki And Aisha Yesufu Blast Osinbajo Over Tradermoni (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why We Cannot Defend Osinbajo Over Nominees’ Confirmation – AGF, Malami by olajay86(m): 8:13am On Jul 06, 2017
http://www.titopeblog.com/2017/07/why-we-cannot-defend-osinbajo-over.html

The Federal Executive Council (FEC) on Wednesday, distanced itself from the comments of Acting President Yemi Osinbajo, on the confirmation of nominations made by the Executive.

In April, Osinbajo stated that he was in support of the view of human rights lawyer, Femi Falana, that the Executive did not need to send the name of Acting Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), to the Senate for confirmation.

But fielding questions from reporters after the FEC meeting today, Attorney-General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami, said the cabinet cannot defend what it did not decide on.

“Although the issue came up for discussion at the cabinet meeting, since the cabinet was not particularly connected, it cannot begin to defend what it did not decide on,” Malami said, according to TheCable.

“The fundamental consideration about the alleged statement is the fact that at no point ever did the federal executive council sit down to arrive at the decision in one way or the other as far as the issue of nomination or otherwise is concerned.

“So, I do not think it constitutes an issue for the federal executive council to make any clarification about because it has never been considered by the FEC.”

1 Like

Re: Why We Cannot Defend Osinbajo Over Nominees’ Confirmation – AGF, Malami by Nobody: 8:16am On Jul 06, 2017
Re: Why We Cannot Defend Osinbajo Over Nominees’ Confirmation – AGF, Malami by nwamehn: 8:16am On Jul 06, 2017
I don't think Osinbajo is really begging for their defence.
Re: Why We Cannot Defend Osinbajo Over Nominees’ Confirmation – AGF, Malami by taylor88(m): 8:17am On Jul 06, 2017
lol
Re: Why We Cannot Defend Osinbajo Over Nominees’ Confirmation – AGF, Malami by Pcharles2(m): 8:19am On Jul 06, 2017
Yea, we know he is on his own.

1 Like

Re: Why We Cannot Defend Osinbajo Over Nominees’ Confirmation – AGF, Malami by ImadeUReadThis: 8:20am On Jul 06, 2017
After setting that fool up with the Senate, the cabal withdraws from the war front.

If only osinbanjo can forget to be an argumentive lawyer for once and begin to assume the leadership role he was bestowed with.

Osinbanjo as I have rightly said is an educated illiterate at best but a fool for worse.

7 Likes

Re: Why We Cannot Defend Osinbajo Over Nominees’ Confirmation – AGF, Malami by gentlepraise(m): 8:21am On Jul 06, 2017
Very intelligent move

2 Likes

Re: Why We Cannot Defend Osinbajo Over Nominees’ Confirmation – AGF, Malami by Nobody: 8:26am On Jul 06, 2017
I don't understand angry

Next

1 Like

Re: Why We Cannot Defend Osinbajo Over Nominees’ Confirmation – AGF, Malami by Adekdammy: 8:31am On Jul 06, 2017
Vice president, beware of wolves in sheep clothing

1 Like

Re: Why We Cannot Defend Osinbajo Over Nominees’ Confirmation – AGF, Malami by CROWNWEALTH019(m): 8:32am On Jul 06, 2017
Ha shocked

It is happening

4 Likes

Re: Why We Cannot Defend Osinbajo Over Nominees’ Confirmation – AGF, Malami by ImadeUReadThis: 8:34am On Jul 06, 2017
GEJ will be enjoying his morning breakfast with freshly milked afonja tears

10 Likes

Re: Why We Cannot Defend Osinbajo Over Nominees’ Confirmation – AGF, Malami by Jombojombo(m): 8:36am On Jul 06, 2017
If it were to be Buhari that made that statement, will they not defend him?
This is the reason why we need a President and not Acting President....
#Fact: Osibanjo has a limited influence over the excos

4 Likes

Re: Why We Cannot Defend Osinbajo Over Nominees’ Confirmation – AGF, Malami by doubleportion: 8:39am On Jul 06, 2017
So, everything Buhari does must be discuss by the FEC? And we still regard him as president? I sense a civilian coup!

2 Likes

Re: Why We Cannot Defend Osinbajo Over Nominees’ Confirmation – AGF, Malami by pauljumbo: 8:48am On Jul 06, 2017
I trust the northerners they must surely support their own.

Just waiting for the sagacity of the west

2 Likes

Re: Why We Cannot Defend Osinbajo Over Nominees’ Confirmation – AGF, Malami by ImadeUReadThis: 8:56am On Jul 06, 2017
pauljumbo:
I trust the northerners they must surely support their own.

Just waiting for the sagacity of the west

Which useless West that stands for nothing and falls for every scam?

4 Likes

Re: Why We Cannot Defend Osinbajo Over Nominees’ Confirmation – AGF, Malami by dadexcel: 8:57am On Jul 06, 2017
... Hmmmmm interesting times.. When I spoke against this rather careless and unguided comment by the acting president yesterday one fellow by name duni04 came after me with insults and all manner... Offcourse there was no need to reply him, his defence of the reckless comments by osibanjo I a further proof of the point I made yesterday. We the youths of thus country need to start reading more, we need to devoid our minds of false hoods and out right lies these politicians feed us with and find out the true state of things. The Attorney General could not defend the acting president because the comments a part from not being correct is also careless and misleading. It ends up over heating the already tensed political space. The youths should wake up and read up so as to lead up..... God bless us

6 Likes

Re: Why We Cannot Defend Osinbajo Over Nominees’ Confirmation – AGF, Malami by HottestFire: 9:13am On Jul 06, 2017
ImadeUReadThis:
After setting that fool up with the Senate, the cabal withdraws from the war front.

If only osinbanjo can forget to be an argumentive lawyer for once and begin to assume the leadership role he was bestowed with.

Osinbanjo as I have rightly said is an educated illiterate at best but a fool for worse.

Beautiful nonsense you have written. If a Ph.d holder in Zoology can steer the ship of this country for 5 years with no good grasp of the constitution, how you think less of Prof. of Law who would have made wider consultations on issues like this baffles me.

Even if you sleep and and wake with titans of Nigeria Political scene, you should still know that educated illiterates will definitely pull the stunt that will crash your gigantic political pyramid of wisdom. I rest my case..

Re: Why We Cannot Defend Osinbajo Over Nominees’ Confirmation – AGF, Malami by bakynes(m): 9:24am On Jul 06, 2017
dadexcel:
... Hmmmmm interesting times.. When I spoke against this rather careless and unguided comment by the acting president yesterday one fellow by name duni04 came after me with insults and all manner... Offcourse there was no need to reply him, his defence of the reckless comments by osibanjo I a further proof of the point I made yesterday. We the youths of thus country need to start reading more, we need to devoid our minds of false hoods and out right lies these politicians feed us with and find out the true state of things. The Attorney General could not defend the acting president because the comments a part from not being correct is also careless and misleading. It ends up over heating the already tensed political space. The youths should wake up and read up so as to lead up..... God bless us
My friend you are as dull as Bleep, the legislative arm doesn't have the right to force the executive to remove any of its appointees or blackmail the executive, they can only recommend the removal. Only the Judiciary is the last deciding arm of all 3 arms.

If they don't want Magu they shd approach the Courts not blackmail the executive, the issue of Magu shd not stop the country from moving forward. The legislators are blocking other appointments that will move the country forward because they want to force the executive to remove Magu, if after they approach the courts and the courts decide Magu shd go and the executive refuse to comply then they can blackmail the executive.

1 Like

Re: Why We Cannot Defend Osinbajo Over Nominees’ Confirmation – AGF, Malami by duni04(m): 9:26am On Jul 06, 2017
dadexcel:
Here you are talking nonsense again and mentioning me. Do you know the law at all? Please speak factually and intelligently without making populist statements. You're just trying to sound like you're making sense while all you're saying is trash. Section 171 of the Constitution the Federal Republic of Nigeria is clear on the appointments a President can make. The EFCC act is inferior to the Constitution. What part of this don't you understand? Osinbajo is a Professor of Law! Itse Sagay is a Professor of Constitutional Law! Femi Falana is a respected SAN and author of Law reports! Are you more learned than they are on constitutional issues? What is wrong with you? angry
dadexcel:
Here you are talking nonsense again and mentioning me. Do you know the law at all? Please speak factually and intelligently without making populist statements. You're just trying to sound like you're making sense while all you're saying is trash. Section 171 of the Constitution the Federal Republic of Nigeria is clear on the appointments a President can make. The EFCC act is inferior to the Constitution. What part of this don't you understand? Osinbajo is a Professor of Law! Itse Sagay is a Professor of Constitutional Law! Femi Falana is a respected SAN and author of Law reports! Are you more learned than they are on constitutional issues? What is wrong with you?
Re: Why We Cannot Defend Osinbajo Over Nominees’ Confirmation – AGF, Malami by dadexcel: 11:30am On Jul 06, 2017
duni04:

Here you are talking nonsense again and mentioning me. Do you know the law at all? Please speak factually and intelligently without making populist statements. You're just trying to sound like you're making sense while all you're saying is trash. Section 171 of the Constitution the Federal Republic of Nigeria is clear on the appointments a President can make. The EFCC act is inferior to the Constitution. What part of this don't you understand? Osinbajo is a Professor of Law! Itse Sagay is a Professor of Constitutional Law! Femi Falana is a respected SAN and author of Law reports! Are you more learned than they are on constitutional issues? What is wrong with you? angry
Here you are talking nonsense again and mentioning me. Do you know the law at all? Please speak factually and intelligently without making populist statements. You're just trying to sound like you're making sense while all you're saying is trash. Section 171 of the Constitution the Federal Republic of Nigeria is clear on the appointments a President can make. The EFCC act is inferior to the Constitution. What part of this don't you understand? Osinbajo is a Professor of Law! Itse Sagay is a Professor of Constitutional Law! Femi Falana is a respected SAN and author of Law reports! Are you more learned than they are on constitutional issues? What is wrong with you?
------------he goes attacking and insulting yet again haba cant you just voice your opinion without insults_____again you go quoting your idols and mis interpreting the constitution____if indeed your interpretation is that straight how come ministers are still subject to national assembly scrutiny and confirmation__are they notpresidents appointees___please even if your indeed a lawyer kindly avoid trading ongrounds you have not properly researched on____and rely more on your in depth study of the constitution rather than what some politicaly avouched lawyers say to the media____also do well to study the functions of the three arms of government as well as seperation of powers___most importantly desist from insulting faceless social media contributors isnot civil___we are blessed

4 Likes

Re: Why We Cannot Defend Osinbajo Over Nominees’ Confirmation – AGF, Malami by duni04(m): 11:51am On Jul 06, 2017
dadexcel:
------------he goes attacking and insulting yet again haba cant you just voice your opinion without insults_____again you go quoting your idols and mis interpreting the constitution____if indeed your interpretation is that straight how come ministers are still subject to national assembly scrutiny and confirmation__are they notpresidents appointees___please even if your indeed a lawyer kindly avoid trading ongrounds you have not properly researched on____and rely more on your in depth study of the constitution rather than what some politicaly avouched lawyers say to the media____also do well to study the functions of the three arms of government as well as seperation of powers___most importantly desist from insulting faceless social media contributors isnot civil___we are blessed
If telling you that everything you're saying is trash constitutes "insulting you" then you must be a Lilly livered individual. Your response to the points I raised is "how come..." Imagine! You have no points or argument. You can't quote the law or the Constitution to back whatever your argument is and you're here saying nonsense to get likes and confuse the ignorant like yourself. Nairaland should find a way of weeding out ignorant and empty contributors like you, just like Facebook is doing.
Re: Why We Cannot Defend Osinbajo Over Nominees’ Confirmation – AGF, Malami by CharlotteFlair: 12:06pm On Jul 06, 2017
With all these going on, one wonders what time APC has for governance. This is your chanji Nigerians.

Caseless stop peeping and gerrahia!
Buharis coffin fall on all those who white washed this old sepulchre and foisted him on Nigerians!

2 Likes

Re: Why We Cannot Defend Osinbajo Over Nominees’ Confirmation – AGF, Malami by Danny287(m): 12:09pm On Jul 06, 2017
You better wake up before the unexpected happens VP

1 Like

Re: Why We Cannot Defend Osinbajo Over Nominees’ Confirmation – AGF, Malami by dadexcel: 12:12pm On Jul 06, 2017
duni04:

If telling you that everything you're saying is trash constitutes "insulting you" then you must be a Lilly livered individual. Your response to the points I raised is "how come..." Imagine! You have no points or argument. You can't quote the law or the Constitution to back whatever your argument is and you're here saying nonsense to get likes and confuse the ignorant like yourself. Nairaland should find a way of weeding out ignorant and empty contributors like you, just like Facebook is doing.
______again he goes calling names and still refrencing a constitution provision that he erroneously interpreted___once again I will still ask if you cannot state your opinion without attacks and name calling___I will not join issues with you on your erroneous interpretation of the constitution neither on your attacks and name calling because some of us still understand the rules of General discourse____so back to the topic the powers of the executive and the legislature as enshrined in the constitution are complimentry____the executive appoints while the legislature vets and confirms or rejects____there are well designated exceptions like the kitchen cabinets and personal assistants___theefcc chairman position does not fall into this category______until the executive lesrns to respect this seperstion there will always be palpable tension in the polity___if and when a presidential appointee flouts these rules the president is supposed to caution the appointee___thats why is pretty disturbing that an acting president Himself will have the time to make controversial statements that can heat up the polity___again please be more civil in your posts nairaland is not a motor park where vague and foul language is used randomly___you are blessed once again a

1 Like

Re: Why We Cannot Defend Osinbajo Over Nominees’ Confirmation – AGF, Malami by Caseless: 12:21pm On Jul 06, 2017
ImadeUReadThis:

una don start with osinbajo already. Why can't Nigerians quit being offensive always? Must you always curse? You said he's the 'messaiah' and here you're insulting him.
Re: Why We Cannot Defend Osinbajo Over Nominees’ Confirmation – AGF, Malami by jumobi1(m): 12:25pm On Jul 06, 2017
dadexcel:

The constitution Sec 147, states that Ministers should be confirmed by the NASS. The constitution Sec 171 implies that an EFCC chairperson doesn't need Senate confirmation as they are Extra Ministerial heads. The same section in the constitution which speaks on Extra Ministerial heads clearly states Foreign representatives require senate confirmation. Therefore, Magu doesn't need Senate confirmation since the constitution is superior to any legislative act.

The NASS should amend the Constitution if they want to screen EFCC bosses as I believe it's the right thing to do. Otherwise we risk turning an EFCC boss to the president's henchman.
Re: Why We Cannot Defend Osinbajo Over Nominees’ Confirmation – AGF, Malami by dadexcel: 12:38pm On Jul 06, 2017
jumobi1:

The constitution Sec 147, states that Ministers should be confirmed by the NASS. The constitution Sec 171 implies that an EFCC chairperson doesn't need Senate confirmation as they are Extra Ministerial heads. The same section in the constitution which speaks on Extra Ministerial heads clearly states Foreign representatives require senate confirmation. Therefore, Magu doesn't need Senate confirmation since the constitution is superior to any legislative act.

The NASS should amend the Constitution if they want to screen EFCC bosses as I believe it's the right thing to do. Otherwise we risk turning an EFCC boss to the president's henchman.
___well spoken it is indeed a constitutional issue but while it is particularly worrisome is the involvement of the highest level of the presidency____thats why the fec swiftly came up to dissociate it self from the comments____the acting president should not have allowed Himself to thread on such murky waters__the Attorney General should have interphased with the Senate on such issues so the presidency does not appear to be a judge in their own matters

1 Like

Re: Why We Cannot Defend Osinbajo Over Nominees’ Confirmation – AGF, Malami by jumobi1(m): 12:50pm On Jul 06, 2017
dadexcel:
___well spoken it is indeed a constitutional issue but while it is particularly worrisome is the involvement of the highest level of the presidency____thats why the fec swiftly came up to dissociate it self from the comments____the acting president should not have allowed Himself to thread on such murky waters__the Attorney General should have interphased with the Senate on such issues so the presidency does not appear to be a judge in their own matters

I just see loyalty issues with Malami. He didn't have to disassociate himself from a statement that is probably valid. He should have kept mum instead of making the executive look disorganized. What the NASS needs to do is add EFCC to the enumerated list I attached.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why We Cannot Defend Osinbajo Over Nominees’ Confirmation – AGF, Malami by MetaPhysical: 1:11pm On Jul 06, 2017
The AGF stepped out of line here. He works for the Presidency and his role is to give legal interpretation and defense to actions of the sitting President at all times, whether they were deliberate or spontaneous. He should not expect to be consulted on every issue and only defend those issues which he is in agreement of. He is not hired to agree or disagree with the Presidency.

On the Acting President side, I have criticized Mayor of Lagos each time he brought up the issue of image and branding for the VP. At this ppoint I am standing down my opposition to Mayor and agreeing that the Acting President indeed must be given an upscaled image, starting with his own wardrobe and that of those in close circle of his Office. It is imperative! He is small startured man, he appears even less equipped with his mode of dressing, which in cultural Yoruba standard is grossly informal. The Senate is opposing him, members in his own Cabinet are distancing from his opinion and actions....NOT GOOD! REBRAND THIS MAN QUICK!!

2 Likes

Re: Why We Cannot Defend Osinbajo Over Nominees’ Confirmation – AGF, Malami by Ogbuefi2020: 2:20pm On Jul 06, 2017
yorubas are busy quoting constitution, osinbajo better play the politics and lobby for loyalty, this is where yorubas should have needed other southerners most, unfortunately, they spoiled everything

1 Like

Re: Why We Cannot Defend Osinbajo Over Nominees’ Confirmation – AGF, Malami by duni04(m): 2:47pm On Jul 06, 2017
dadexcel:
______again he goes calling names and still refrencing a constitution provision that he erroneously interpreted___once again I will still ask if you cannot state your opinion without attacks and name calling___I will not join issues with you on your erroneous interpretation of the constitution neither on your attacks and name calling because some of us still understand the rules of General discourse____so back to the topic the powers of the executive and the legislature as enshrined in the constitution are complimentry____the executive appoints while the legislature vets and confirms or rejects____there are well designated exceptions like the kitchen cabinets and personal assistants___theefcc chairman position does not fall into this category______until the executive lesrns to respect this seperstion there will always be palpable tension in the polity___if and when a presidential appointee flouts these rules the president is supposed to caution the appointee___thats why is pretty disturbing that an acting president Himself will have the time to make controversial statements that can heat up the polity___again please be more civil in your posts nairaland is not a motor park where vague and foul language is used randomly___you are blessed once again a
Yet another nonsense post full of assumptions and with no reference to the Constitution or laws. If i erroneously quoted a section of the Constitution what is the correct interpretation? You're just talking and saying nothing at the same time! Only a deeply dogmatic person can pull this off.
Oga pls shut up and go and sleep. It's not by force to post on NL.
Re: Why We Cannot Defend Osinbajo Over Nominees’ Confirmation – AGF, Malami by Dlionsheart: 2:54pm On Jul 06, 2017
This Osibanjo guy is going down by the day.

I hope he realise and retrace his steps on time

GOD BLESS NIGERIA!

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Where Are The Cowards? / Southern Senators Blast Northern Senators Over Confab / Is Lagos Now The Dirtiest City In Nigeria Under Gov. Ambode?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.