Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,776 members, 7,820,715 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:05 PM

Glow With Pride - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Glow With Pride (2185 Views)

GEJ, Swallow Your Pride And Allow UN/US Fighter Jets To Bombard Sambissa / Lesson In ‘african Pride’: Kenya Kicks Out Nigerians And All Hell Breaks Loose / Unlocking The Gridlock: Keep Lagos Moving With Pride. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Glow With Pride by BigB11(m): 2:50pm On Feb 05, 2007
OBJ AND THE GLO(WING) NEW FRIENDSHIP

EVEN the most ardent critic of the Obasanjo administration cannot fail to register and be elated at the new rapprochement between it and Globacom, a foremost telecommunications company and Nigeria’s second national carrier, as exemplified in recent events. It is like a gush of fresh air in a miasma.

WHEN Mr. Frank Nweke Jnr, the administration’s Minister of Information, recently paid a visit to the company’s corporate headquarters, he reportedly referred to himself as a stakeholder in Globacom. The Minister of Information identified himself with Globacom’s achievements. He said he patronised Globacom’s various products and expressed satisfaction and pride that a Nigerian company could excel in a field once viewed as the exclusive preserve of international companies.

APART from Mr. Nweke’s compliments, President Olusegun Obasanjo had only recently acknowledged the Globacom chairman’s magnanimous gesture in his various sponsorship efforts, the latest of which is the recruitment of a Technical Adviser for the Super Eagles and the offer to pay the Technical Adviser’s emoluments. For this, a letter of acknowledgement and gratitude was written by the nation’s authorities.

THESE two events cannot be overlooked by those who are sensitive to the developments in the country, especially the recent chilly relations between the Obasanjo administration and Dr. Mike Adenuga. The Globacom Chairman, to his credit, never allowed this to affect his elevated sense of patriotism.

DR. Adenuga was able to find the borderline between his personal emotions and responsible citizenship. It would have been easy for another person to use the reason of personal animosity not to do the right thing by hid country. And in Nigeria, such would have been understandable from the standpoint of an aggrieved person. In rising above his incommodation, Dr. Adenuga has taught a memorable moral: that nobody should allow his indignation to stand between him and his civic responsibilities.

THE Obasanjo administration has equally been quite open in recognising Dr. Adenuga’s good deeds by responding positively and responsibly. It probably would have been quite in character of the administration if it had shunned Dr. Adenuga’s help. But the official letter of gratitude and acceptance is a better way of encouraging other Nigerians who are of means to do similar things for their fatherland.

MR. Nweke’s eulogy of Globacom’s achievements is right on target. As a national carrier, Globacom’s entry into the telecommunications sector, undoubtedly, signalled the introduction of some outstanding and rewarding services for the subscribers. Globacom was the first to introduce the per second billing system which some companies had claimed before then was impossible. It also introduced the mobile internet facilities and it did well to bring both competition and efficiency to the tariff regime and operations in the telecommunications sector. It has, for instance, signed a deal worth $600 million with Alcatel to expand its network and improve the quality of its service delivery to its subscribers. This is not to mention the vast employment opportunities the company has generated for many Nigerians.

THE company has also been in the forefront of sports sponsorship in Nigeria. The Premier League is being sponsored by Globacom and for two years now, it has been sponsoring the CAF awards which is designed to recognise and reward excellence in soccer on the continent. It has also signed a new contract with the Nigeria Football League (NFL) for sponsorship that would see it committing 60 million dollars in the next four years.

ALL these are no little contributions by a patriot and we think that these should be celebrated. Such celebrations will send signals to other Nigerians who are also financially endowed to do similar things for Nigeria and the country can only be the better for it. We think Dr. Adenuga is a patriot who should be encouraged by any administration in Nigeria. When, as it would normally occur, there are misunderstandings, in the course of relationships, such should not be left to fester beyond both decency and expediency.
Re: Glow With Pride by BigB11(m): 2:53pm On Feb 05, 2007
It's not what you do, it's how is done:::::Style is a KING

Bravo!
Re: Glow With Pride by Afam(m): 3:06pm On Feb 05, 2007
Big B1:

It's not what you do, it's how is done:::::Style is a KING

Bravo!

BigB1,

Na wah for you. After posting a good piece you wentg ahead to praise it in a new reply.

Well, Adenuga has done well for Nigeria no doubt and should be encouraged.

However, when one decides to question the source of his wealth you should understand that it is equally in order so as to ensure that people do not take what belongs to everybody and return a token and expect to be applauded.
Re: Glow With Pride by BigB11(m): 3:27pm On Feb 05, 2007
@AFAM:

Please, take your time and check out all my posting regarding Adenuga, believe me, this is a decent Nigerian who is totally determined to turn his fatherland into a valuable GOLD.

A very serious business man with class and priceless competent strategies.

If half of the leaders in Nigeria have the same mentality, drive and determination, Nigeria as a country would have been a better place today.

As we all know, no-one is perfect, but let's give credit/ respect to the one that deserves it. Adenuga has been nothing, but a blessing to this country.

He's a man one should look up to without any averseness.

Bravo!
Re: Glow With Pride by Afam(m): 6:31pm On Feb 05, 2007
@BigB1,

Personally I do not have issues with Nigerians that invest in Nigeria rather than keep their money in foreign vaults but if/when issues come up that tend to ask questions as regards the source of wealth of these Nigerians, we should be ready to ask the hard questions and answers should be made available too.

Enjoy!
Re: Glow With Pride by BigB11(m): 6:55pm On Feb 05, 2007
@AFAM:
What does your comment got to do with Adenuga?

I don't get it.
Re: Glow With Pride by frenchman(m): 8:32pm On Feb 05, 2007
The source of Adenuga's wealth, to me is not dubious or questionable and he cannot be said to have taken public money to establish his empire.
Adenuga, like many other Nigerian businessmen are close to those in power which to me is a sensible thing for a businessman to do, because business and politics go parripassu. By virtue of being close to government, he was able to curry favour in form of securing contracts, licences etc legitimately which is fair enough.
We all know how our oil block allocations got into hands of mediocres during the Abacha regime.When our oil block allocations were being traded on the streets of Europe, but in Adenuga's case, he got the license and operated it. He could have sold it for a princely sum and walked away.

On the issue of the Glo license, the primary aim of a bank is to make money from depositors money by investing it, the PTDF money that was lodged with ETB, was repaid back with interest. So a curious mind would ask, if ETB paid back the money with interest and the other bank that the PTDF money was lodged could not even pay the money back not to talk of interest, why is EFCC not after the owners/managers of that bank?
So, the whole issue is politics. Adenuga is a shining example and a bastion of hope for many young Nigerians.
The developed economies of the world are private sector driven, the role of the govt is to provide an enabling environment for business to survive. This politically motivated attack on Adenuga to smear his reputation is a wrong signal to foreign investors who may feel insecure.
Of course, he must have been caught in the crossfire between two gladiators, but still, we should not fight dirty.
Re: Glow With Pride by BigB11(m): 8:59pm On Feb 05, 2007
Frenchman,
the Solomon of Nigeria.
Oh yes, you're truly full of wisdom and I truly admire the way you profoundly put it down.

I don't know what else to say, but you've made my day.
Re: Glow With Pride by Afam(m): 6:23pm On Feb 06, 2007
Big B1:

@AFAM:
What does your comment got to do with Adenuga?

I don't get it.

Since it seems you know Adenuga too well, can you tell us the source of his wealth?

That he is investing in Nigeria is one thing (and very commendable too) and the source of his wealth is another (and it should not be a mystery lest someone is using money meant for Nigeria to run a private business).
Re: Glow With Pride by Mamajama(m): 7:35pm On Feb 06, 2007
I've said it over and over again ADENUga is as corrupt as any of the past leaders we've had, Yes he is

investing back in Nigeria, but people don't be fool with all his stupid story of how he came to wealth from

selling stereo equipment after graduating for university in AMERICA. he was a cab driver, do you know how

many Nigerian cab driver we have in CHITOWN AND NYC? non of them can tell you you can build an empire like that from honest labor.

BIGB1 spear me all that hailling of ADENUGA.
Re: Glow With Pride by Mamajama(m): 7:39pm On Feb 06, 2007
This is an interesting script on ADENUGA and MARADONNA

There are warnings that the dethroned king might find more exposés coming his way. How times have changed! But it is not only the king who stepped aside who is facing fire these days. One of his acolytes and friends, Mr. Mike Adenuga is going through a very rough time. His empire (his or the empire he holds in trust?) is threatened and the guy is on the run. Men of the Nigerian Armed Forces are renowned for using fronts and sidekicks to siphon the nation's oil wealth and state governments' funds overseas. Now the doors are opened and every state executive is personally raking millions of dollars across the border to deposit in their foreign bank accounts a la the Governor General of the Ijaw nation.

http://nigeriaworld.com/feature/publication/babsajayi/082506.html
Re: Glow With Pride by BigB11(m): 8:19pm On Feb 06, 2007
Dude:

What a shame; it is unbelievable to me that you're still running around with this same old untrue story.

Get a life and stop this uncivilized way of thinking.

Few months ago, you even admitted that you did not know anything about this man.
Boy! please do not get me started.

I will not entertain you on this one; believe me, it will be a waste of time.
Re: Glow With Pride by Mamajama(m): 8:28pm On Feb 06, 2007
Boy let me tell you I've never said I don't know any thing about ADENUGA . I have my facts on this clown. you don't take a $1 from a baby and give him back 1 penny and think you are doing outstanding.

The reason Nigeria is backward today is because of crooks like ADENUGA. do you know how many government contractors are there in Nigeria? this people inflate the price tag and share the profit with the people who awarded the contracts. Boy come hang around me when I come to Abuja in March and see what this people are doing and stop kissing ass all the time.

Most people will sell their soul for kickbacks. not me. Adenuga can go some place else with his pity story
Re: Glow With Pride by BigB11(m): 8:54pm On Feb 06, 2007
I will try my best not to entertain you today.

It is obvious to me and to the rest that you're just as sloppy as your captain (OBJ); hence nothing from you is legit.

So, continue to discharge your baseless and irrational ways of thinking.

Have fun.
Re: Glow With Pride by Mamajama(m): 9:17pm On Feb 06, 2007
Dude you are one sick introvert. once someone opposes your barbaric views you run away from the challenge.

Valid question for you MR

WHO or where was MIKE ADENUGA BEFORE 85?
What was Mike ADENUGA doing before 1990?
and to finish remember we have Nigerian community in USA
there are people here who knows this cat 1st hand

the apple does not fall too far from the tree. No wonder you are a carbon copy of IBB
Re: Glow With Pride by BigB11(m): 10:31pm On Feb 06, 2007
I will never run away; definitely not from you, MAMAJAMA; and I'm sure you know better.

Since you wouldn't stop crying, here is some fact for you.

During the 80's/90's (do not quote me, because some of this info may be incorrect, but I will try my best as usual):
He was one of the distributors of tomato paste during those days
He sold imported wine
He was also a distributor for different types of beverages
He was a car dealer for few years
He was a contractor for many projects
He sold different types of imported African (clothing) materials
During this period, he also developed a company called (**********), which specialized in manufacturering and installing different types of building materials

The man did it all just like his ancestors; infact, his parents were also extremely successful during their time.

It is a shame, sad and uncivilized to continue to tarnish the images of great Nigerians just because of political differences and irrational reasons.

FYI @MAMAJAMA: the radio sale was from the very, very beginning; and don't get it twisted, he was also a cab driver when he was in college and it was by choice.

Furthermore, keep in mind that you don't have to be a policeman "venality" (just like some dead heads you and I know) to make it as a man or as a successful businessman in Nigeria; no disrespect.

Moreover, Nigeria is gradually being bought by foreigners and we can easily speed up this process if we continue to disrespect incredible people like Adenuga.
Re: Glow With Pride by BigB11(m): 3:37am On Feb 07, 2007
Continuation:
As a smart businessman, one of your best friends must always be the president; this is a known fact all over the world.

Yes, IBB was his friend, infact OBJ was one of his close friends as well. I believe both of them are from Ogun State.

The pot broke when he refused to support 3rd term.
According to reliable source, OBJ even gave him choices, but he refused to submit; unlike the rest.

And please, MAMAJAMA, don't you let me start naming folks, because you truly know what time is it, or do I need to remind you?
Re: Glow With Pride by Mamajama(m): 3:46am On Feb 07, 2007
BIGB1 I know you have good intentions and you love Nigeria so much.  The reason sensible people in this forum are disgusted with your bias views is because you refused to call a spade a spade.  I am sure If Tafa Balogun or ABACHA called you up today and give you some money or contracts, you will keep praising their names.  you know what I am talking about, but we won't go there.  We live in USA and we know what hard work and perseverance can get you.  Hoe did ADENUGA build an Empire without a loan?  boy you need to stop selling out and keep it real.

you can call it what you want, there wont be ADENUGA without IBB and his administration.  Let me give you an insight.  when this people are awarding all this shady contracts, there are other people that knows exactly what is going on, but because of the circumstances. they are compelled to hush hush.

You need to stop calling OBJ my boy. I can see you cant teach an old dog new tricks. believe what ever you want to about ADENUGA, I have better things to do.
Re: Glow With Pride by BigB11(m): 5:40am On Feb 07, 2007
MAMAJAMA:

Please, go catch some Zzz, you sound confused and very tired.
Re: Glow With Pride by McDoe(m): 1:02pm On Feb 07, 2007
When an issue like this is brought to this forum, we should try as much as possible to treat same without sentiments. As far as I am concerned, Mike Adenuga deserves our encomiums. Here is a guy that has provided employment to thousands of Nigerians. Don't forget that, he has not been indicted by anybody. What EFCC did recently by invading his home was politically motivated (one of the numerous prices to be paid for wealth).
As one of the early subscribers to glo (08055253036), I know the benefits I have been getting from the network. From glowing with pride, I now rule my world.
The Bull has empowered our local artistes such as Daddy Showkey etc. He introduced the idea of using our local artistes instead of rushing to South Africa to gather people for a simple advert. This is aside other invaluable contributions he is still making to his beloved country.
This man truely deseves all the accolades we can accord him. We cannot afford to pull him down
Re: Glow With Pride by Afam(m): 1:46pm On Feb 07, 2007
McDoe:

This man truely deseves all the accolades we can accord him. We cannot afford to pull him down

@McDoe,

Thanks for your post, no one wants to pull him down.

All his positive contributions to Nigeria are well documented but equally important is the need for Nigerians to know how he came about his wealth.

If he had for example stolen billions of naira and using it to run businesses that employ Nigerians with a total worth of less than N1B then he is robbing Peter to pay Paul and such should not be allowed to stand.

If on the other hand, his past or source of wealth is clear then he remains the best Nigerian businessman today for his investments and job opportunities created.

@BigB1,

Your posts are usually interesting until you get to talk about IBB and Adenuga and believe me, the bias and sentiments know no bounds.
Re: Glow With Pride by Mamajama(m): 2:00pm On Feb 07, 2007
Afam thanks, and since we are talking of Mike Adenuga, I cherish the idea of giving back to the comunity. Kudos on that, but the question here is what was his source of revenue before glo?

BIGB1 question for you since you know more about ADENUGA. What about the French Millionaire that he supposedly meet at the airport? can you tell us where that French guy is today?
Re: Glow With Pride by Mamajama(m): 4:31pm On Feb 07, 2007
continuation. MKO provided lots of jobs for Nigerian during his era, he was generous and a philanthropist, but we all know how he came about his money. ask Fela what happened between the ITT project.
Re: Glow With Pride by BigB11(m): 4:43pm On Feb 07, 2007
Firstly, McDoe thanks for your intellectual insight on this topic. It feels good to know that we still have people that think broadly.

Secondly, MAMAJAMA, what exactly are you asking me? It is very common for millionaires to meet; what is the big deal? And stop comparing apple to orange.

Finally, Afam, I hope I've answered all your questions.
And believe me, it isn't about IBB or anybody; I just hate when Nigerians start talking rubbish without deeply thinking.
They hear baseless info and they run away with it.

It isn't right.
Re: Glow With Pride by Mamajama(m): 5:40pm On Feb 07, 2007
Big B1:

Secondly, MAMAJAMA, what exactly are you asking me? It is very common for millionaires to meet; what is the big deal? And stop comparing apple to orange.

What I am asking you is to do your home work and research How MR MIKE ADENUGA supposedly meet a French oil Mogul who introduced him to the oil industry way before GLO. since you know too much about Mike . this is one of his stories right after her got out of college and stopped driving cab in NYC.

Trust me dude, I am for progression but at the same time are you saying if a bank rubber like Lawrence Anini rubbed from a bank and distribute his wealth to the poor, he should be seen as a hero?
Re: Glow With Pride by BigB11(m): 6:09pm On Feb 07, 2007
Dude:

I'm not here to justify anybody's story. I've given you what I have and what I know, it is now up to you, my man.
This is democracy, you're free to run away as usual with whatever makes you happy, but stop running your mouth about things you truly do not understand.

Believe me, it is obvious that you do not know or understand most of the things you tend to get yourself involved or attached to; may be it will be advisable and better for you to just spend more time reading discussion on this forum.

This is a forum, an environment to share and discuss credible issues; it isn't a beer parlor, my friend.
Re: Glow With Pride by Mamajama(m): 6:22pm On Feb 07, 2007
Talk about credibility boy? ain't you the same person talking about how trustworth IBb and his entourage are? boy you are disillusion, I'm done talking to you.
Re: Glow With Pride by Afam(m): 6:40pm On Feb 07, 2007
@BigB1,

You are boxing yorself into a very tight corner as regards credibility since you are ready to bet your life on the credibility of IBB and Adenuga.

I may not know the relationship you have with IBB and/or his friends but the way and manner you shrug off accusations (both real and percieved) against IBB on the one hand and always talking about a better tomorrow on the other hand and even more importantly always pointing out the shortcomings of OBJ led government shows that you are certainly far from honest in your submissions.

Enjoy!
Re: Glow With Pride by BigB11(m): 6:46pm On Feb 07, 2007
@MAMAJAMA:

CORRECTION:

I said currently Nigeria as a nation is very fragile and not united. Hence at this time we do not need a boy scout, we need an undaunted, well respected, strong and experienced leader, who can unite the nation and at the same time withstand the pressure under any circumstances.

I also stated that our problems are much bigger than IBB; the corrupt culture and system need to be adjusted, and then may be we can get somewhere.

IBB is desperate to redeem himself, he's determined to correct things and can not afford to do wrong this time; therefore he deserves another chance. And I truly believe that we have a better chance with him

And please keep in mind that this is nothing, but a mere recommendation; and of course, I may be wrong.

So, my man, please don't get things twisted. Trust me, I do not deal or get involved with issues that are not credible and substantial.
Re: Glow With Pride by BigB11(m): 6:55pm On Feb 07, 2007
@AFAM:

That is totally incorrect.

I have nothing, but respect for OBJ; even though I'm against some of his policies, but the man is still our president and I'm not sure if we all have any other choice but to respect him.

And believe me, he has done many wonderful things and I've given him KUDOS several times; infact, I was 100% OBJ fan till the 3rd term issue erupted.

Believe me, my man, I want nothing but the best for our lovely nation and I love this country to the bone.
Yes, I do get very sensitive sometimes, but that's me. I do not know how to be anything else.

Respect to all and may God bless sweet Nigeria.
Re: Glow With Pride by BigB11(m): 7:16pm On Feb 07, 2007
@MAMAJAMA:

I'm scheduled to be in CHITOWN middle of this month.

Are we still friends?
Re: Glow With Pride by Mamajama(m): 7:35pm On Feb 07, 2007
we are always friends, we may not agree, come on email me we can show you chitown finest. what day are you schdule to be here?

(1) (2) (Reply)

"dust-bin Estate" Governor Fashola must See this / Ibb Did Not Annul The Historic June 12 Presidential Election Alone. / What Is This Saying About Us As Nigerians?(pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.