Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,634 members, 7,809,385 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:35 AM

Lesson In ‘african Pride’: Kenya Kicks Out Nigerians And All Hell Breaks Loose - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lesson In ‘african Pride’: Kenya Kicks Out Nigerians And All Hell Breaks Loose (2728 Views)

Lufthansa Kicks Out Nigerian Amnesty Students / Lagos-ibadan Expressway: FG Kicks Out Bi-courtney, Award Contracts To Berger, RC / Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lesson In ‘african Pride’: Kenya Kicks Out Nigerians And All Hell Breaks Loose by Inik(m): 6:57am On Jun 20, 2013
Even by Africa’s very high standards for the bizarre, the saga over Kenya’s deportation two weeks ago of controversial Nigerian businessman Anthony Chinedu takes the biscuit.

The Nigerian authorities have said Chinedu, two other Nigerians with whom he was deported, the crew of the chartered plane — which includes a Swedish pilot — used to take the Nigerian trio back home, can only leave if they take the deportees back with them to Kenya.

Chinedu is talking big, saying things like the chartered plane is now his, and that unless the Kenya Government compensates him the money he has lost, it will not return.

He is wrong if he thinks any of this is about him. It is about how Nigeria sees itself in Africa and the world.

It is Africa’s most populous nation at 150 million, and has produced some of the most world renowned Africans — Chinua Achebe, Wole Soyinka, name it.

It has some of Africa’s most educated people. In a few years, it will overtake South Africa to become Africa’s largest economy.

Though its international image has been tarred by its rank corruption, its 419 fraudsters, and more recently, by extremist violence at home, Nigeria still expects to be treated with respect.

In fact, precisely because of those negatives, it has become more sensitive to what it considers national humiliation.

And no country in Africa is as unafraid to retaliate in these matters as Nigeria is (I guess followed by Rwanda and Ethiopia, in that order).

Last year South Africa deported 125 Nigerians for allegedly possessing fake yellow fever certificates.

A few hours later, a South African Airlines flight landed at Murtala Muhammed International Airport in Lagos. Nigeria promptly bundled the 28 South Africans who were on board back to Johannesburg.

In one incident alone in May last year, it deported 45 Chinese for allegedly being involved in “economic scavenging” (only the Nigerians would come up with a crime like that).

And what is that? Engaging in petty trade.

It is understandable why Nigeria would want to be taken seriously. Kenya’s economy is smaller than that of Lagos.

By the end of this year, Lagos will surpass Cairo as Africa’s largest city. It has nearly 120 million mobile phone subscribers, almost the entire population of East Africa.

A friend who deals in mobile phones tells me he went into a shop in Dubai to buy about 50 phones, when a Nigerian dealer entered.

He was kicked out, and the shop put up a “Closed” sign. The Nigerian had ordered “all” the phones on display and in the shop’s stores.

Last year, the BBC reported, Nigerians almost single-handedly saved London’s High Street retailers.
They plunked hundreds of millions of Pounds on everything from clothing to perfumes, with the average Nigerian shopper spending $700 per transaction.

With property prices still reeling from the global financial crisis, the Nigerians rode to the rescue. In just the first half of 2012, they splashed more than $50 million on property in Dubai.

But there is more. Being among the most authentically African people, Nigerians do actually believe in this “African pride” thing, and often are puzzled that other Africans find them loud and insufferable.

Increasingly, some African countries are beginning to figure out that dealing with the pride issue is the best way to reach into a Nigerian’s wallet.

Nigerians gripe that it is difficult to get transit visas at Jomo Kenyatta International Airport when en route to or from places like Dubai when they arrive on those Kenya Airways (KQ) flights to Nigeria.

Rwanda, which is hoping to grow RwandaAir’s business by stealing some West African traffic from KQ, decided to remove pre-departure visa requirements for all Africans.

The Nigerian press has several reports of Nigerian travellers praising Rwanda for its spirit of African brotherhood in recent months. Word has it that RwandaAir’s flights to Dubai are overflowing with Nigerians.

Nigeria, though, must still do its part. It needs to spend its diplomatic capital fighting for the “right” type of Nigerian. Kenyans, and indeed, the world, must rightly wonder whether a chap like Chinedu is worth all the trouble.
http://www.nation.co.ke/oped/Opinion/-/440808/1888362/-/item/0/-/engp5sz/-/index.html

[img]http://www.nation.co.ke/image/view/-/1886516/medRes/529741/-/maxw/600/-/csm7hm/-/Anthony+Chinedu+px.jpg[/img]
Deported Nigerian Anthony Chinedu
Re: Lesson In ‘african Pride’: Kenya Kicks Out Nigerians And All Hell Breaks Loose by shizzle11(m): 7:03am On Jun 20, 2013
Hmmmmm! Could this be an aftermath of the Nigeria/Kenya world cup qualifier in March that preceded the #somebodytellNigeria beef that became a buzz on the social media. All of sudden, Kenyans deporting Nigerians, no respect for big brother again....smh

4 Likes

Re: Lesson In ‘african Pride’: Kenya Kicks Out Nigerians And All Hell Breaks Loose by Inik(m): 7:21am On Jun 20, 2013
shizzle11: Hmmmmm! Could this be an aftermath of the Nigeria/Kenya world cup qualifier in March that preceded the #somebodytellNigeria beef that became a buzz on the social media. All of sudden, Kenyans deporting Nigerians, no respect for big brother again....smh
The whole thing is political. The newly elected kenyan president Uhuru kenyatta believes that Nigeria was backing his rival Raila odinga in the presidential election earlier this year so he is taking it up on Nigerians. Raila odinga sent some members of his campaign team to meet T.b Joshua for prayers. Also africans are envious of the successes of Nigerians in their own countries and tend to generalise all nigerians as being corrupt drug dealers cos of the actions of a few nigerian bad eggs. If you join Kenyan forums you will be amazed at the level of hatred they have for Nigerians.
Re: Lesson In ‘african Pride’: Kenya Kicks Out Nigerians And All Hell Breaks Loose by shizzle11(m): 7:33am On Jun 20, 2013
Inik:
The whole thing is political. The newly elected kenyan president Uhuru kenyatta believes that Nigeria was backing his rival Raila odinga in the presidential election earlier this year so he is taking it up on Nigerians. Raila odinga sent some members of his campaign team to meet T.b Joshua for prayers. Also africans are envious of the successes of Nigerians in their own countries and tend to generalise all nigerians as being corrupt drug dealers cos of the actions of a few nigerian bad eggs. If you join Kenyan forums you will be amazed at the level of hatred they have for Nigerians.
@bolded, you don't say! No doubt this is a new found hatred, cos I know Kenya has always loved and respected Nigerians, its amazing how they're now beginning to treat Nigerians this way. I quite agree its political. So Raila Odinga coming to TB Joshua's SCOAN for spiritual assistance has now made Uhuru Kenyatta to begin to treat Nigerians living in Kenya with disdain, smh!

This insult and intolerance should not be taken lightly by the Nigerian government. Every Pr1ckk, joystick and Dickson now maltreats Nigerians almost at will. Imagine kenya throwing spit at Nigeria....Chai. The Kenyan president needs a serious talking too honestly, insult...mtcheww!

1 Like

Re: Lesson In ‘african Pride’: Kenya Kicks Out Nigerians And All Hell Breaks Loose by Nobody: 8:15am On Jun 20, 2013
Lol, another deluded naijan.

1 Like

Re: Lesson In ‘african Pride’: Kenya Kicks Out Nigerians And All Hell Breaks Loose by Rossikk(m): 8:19am On Jun 20, 2013
I was once treated disdainfully by this South Sudanese woman in London whose dad I'd gone to see on business in their house. She probably suspected I was trying to dupe her dad, being a Nigerian. Meanwhile, she was blasting Nigerian music non-stop in their kitchen. Tuface, PSquare etc. It is a complicated relationship we have with these Africans.
Re: Lesson In ‘african Pride’: Kenya Kicks Out Nigerians And All Hell Breaks Loose by Inik(m): 8:31am On Jun 20, 2013
Rossikk: I was once treated disdainfully by this South Sudanese woman in London whose dad I'd gone to see on business in their house. She probably suspected I was trying to dupe her dad, being a Nigerian. Meanwhile, she was blasting Nigerian music non-stop in their kitchen. Tuface, PSquare etc. It is a complicated relationship we have with these Africans.
Really complicated relationship. They like our investments in their countries, they like our culture, our movies, our music, our pidgin english but they dislike us.
Re: Lesson In ‘african Pride’: Kenya Kicks Out Nigerians And All Hell Breaks Loose by Nobody: 8:35am On Jun 20, 2013
Inik:
Virus
Re: Lesson In ‘african Pride’: Kenya Kicks Out Nigerians And All Hell Breaks Loose by Vansnickers: 8:35am On Jun 20, 2013
Rossikk: I was once treated disdainfully by this South Sudanese woman in London whose dad I'd gone to see on business in their house. She probably suspected I was trying to dupe her dad, being a Nigerian. Meanwhile, she was blasting Nigerian music non-stop in their kitchen. Tuface, PSquare etc. It is a complicated relationship we have with these Africans.

I feel you Bro. Why be Pan-Africanist, when the rest of Africa despise my Country? I might just abandon this my Pan-Africanist philosophy.

1 Like

Re: Lesson In ‘african Pride’: Kenya Kicks Out Nigerians And All Hell Breaks Loose by OneNaira6: 8:42am On Jun 20, 2013
Antony chinedu should blame noone else but himself. why invest all your money in a nation or home that is not your home. This is a lesson for all, especially umu igbo,there is something called " 2nd choice" or what my father calls "incase something happens". Even now at my age, i know to take half or majority of my property and secure at my home state. Chinedu, you have noone to blame but yourself. You're an 1diot. why invest everything you had in a country you MIGRATED to. you're an 1diot. earlier i felt sorry for you, now i care little. hope more are learning from this.

5 Likes

Re: Lesson In ‘african Pride’: Kenya Kicks Out Nigerians And All Hell Breaks Loose by Nobody: 8:51am On Jun 20, 2013
One_Naira: Antony chinedu should blame noone else but himself. why invest all your money in a nation or home that is not your home. This is a lesson for all, especially umu igbo,there is something called " 2nd choice" or what my father calls "incase something happens". Even now at my age, i know to take half or majority of my property and secure at my home state. Chinedu, you have noone to blame but yourself. You're an 1diot. why invest everything you had in a country you MIGRATED to. you're an 1diot. earlier i felt sorry for you, now i care little. hope more are learning from this.

Even though you are little harsh on him, I do understand totally how you feel. This is a lesson to all diasporans, Invest 90% of your income in your home country, cos anything can happen in your second home even if you hold that country's citizenship and passport. Be wise.

1 Like

Re: Lesson In ‘african Pride’: Kenya Kicks Out Nigerians And All Hell Breaks Loose by Nobody: 9:03am On Jun 20, 2013
Billyonaire:

Even though you are little harsh on him, I do understand totally how you feel. This is a lesson to all diasporans, Invest 90% of your income in your home country, cos anything can happen in your second home even if you hold that country's citizenship and passport. Be wise.

Lol, Invest what? Do you want drug dealers to setup their trade in Nigeria, seems these guys can only commit their crimes outside Nigeria.
Re: Lesson In ‘african Pride’: Kenya Kicks Out Nigerians And All Hell Breaks Loose by Abagworo(m): 9:11am On Jun 20, 2013
zetdee:

Lol, Invest what? Do you want drug dealers to setup their trade in Nigeria, seems these guys can only commit their crimes outside Nigeria.

Chinedu is not a drug dealer. If you had followed his case carefully, you should have known.
Re: Lesson In ‘african Pride’: Kenya Kicks Out Nigerians And All Hell Breaks Loose by IGBOSON1: 9:20am On Jun 20, 2013
shizzle11: Hmmmmm! Could this be an aftermath of the Nigeria/Kenya world cup qualifier in March that preceded the #somebodytellNigeria beef that became a buzz on the social media. All of sudden, Kenyans deporting Nigerians, no respect for big brother again....smh

^^^Heheheheheh grin grin grin Methinks they're still smarting over the comprehensive thrashing we gave them in march. wink
Re: Lesson In ‘african Pride’: Kenya Kicks Out Nigerians And All Hell Breaks Loose by IGBOSON1: 9:24am On Jun 20, 2013
One_Naira: Antony chinedu should blame noone else but himself. why invest all your money in a nation or home that is not your home. This is a lesson for all, especially umu igbo,there is something called " 2nd choice" or what my father calls "incase something happens". Even now at my age, i know to take half or majority of my property and secure at my home state. Chinedu, you have noone to blame but yourself. You're an 1diot. why invest everything you had in a country you MIGRATED to. you're an 1diot. earlier i felt sorry for you, now i care little. hope more are learning from this.

^^^I share your sentiments up to a point......our diasporans should learn from Indians and Lebanese in Nigeria (though i have to concede that the Lebanese have invested a bit more, especially those of them that have taken up Nigerian citizenship).
Re: Lesson In ‘african Pride’: Kenya Kicks Out Nigerians And All Hell Breaks Loose by dasparrow: 10:06am On Jun 20, 2013
zetdee: Lol, another deluded naijan.

You will suffer from high blood pressure very soon deluded south african. I have told you already to stop being a delusional hypocrite. You don't like Nigerians yet you are always shamelessly on this forum. I know that you are an illiterate because if you were not, you will read where it states on the home page that this forum is for Nigerians and friends of Nigerians. You don't belong in any of the two categories so its time you bounce. Remain on Nairaland and your hatred for Nigerians will make you burst an artery very soon.

6 Likes

Re: Lesson In ‘african Pride’: Kenya Kicks Out Nigerians And All Hell Breaks Loose by Nobody: 10:10am On Jun 20, 2013
dasparrow:

You will suffer from high blood pressure very soon deluded south african. I have told you already to stop being a delusional hypocrite. You don't like Nigerians yet you are always shamelessly on this forum. I know that you are an illiterate because if you were not, you will read where it states on the home page that this forum is for Nigerians and friends of Nigerians. You don't belong in any of the two categories so its time you bounce. Remain on Nairaland and your hatred for Nigerians will make you burst an artery very soon.
*claps hands endlessly for you*

1 Like

Re: Lesson In ‘african Pride’: Kenya Kicks Out Nigerians And All Hell Breaks Loose by Nobody: 10:53am On Jun 20, 2013
dasparrow:

What are you on about? I don't hate Nigerians, I have Nigerian friends ( really ) so the forum is for me.
Re: Lesson In ‘african Pride’: Kenya Kicks Out Nigerians And All Hell Breaks Loose by Nobody: 10:58am On Jun 20, 2013
zetdee:

What are you on about? I don't hate Nigerians, I have Nigerians friends ( really ) so the forum is for me.
REALLY?!?!

friend is different from friend tho. tongue
Re: Lesson In ‘african Pride’: Kenya Kicks Out Nigerians And All Hell Breaks Loose by akpomeme(m): 11:04am On Jun 20, 2013
Kenyan girls are lovely by the way. wink wink wink wink hit a couple of them in London while studying and they all make funny noises in strange languages, like they are talking to some god ... grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Lesson In ‘african Pride’: Kenya Kicks Out Nigerians And All Hell Breaks Loose by goldfish80(m): 12:30pm On Jun 20, 2013
akpomeme: Kenyan girls are lovely by the way. wink wink wink wink hit a couple of them in London while studying and they all make funny noises in strange languages, like they are talking to some god ... grin grin grin
They might be raining curses at your fada grin grin grin

6 Likes

Re: Lesson In ‘african Pride’: Kenya Kicks Out Nigerians And All Hell Breaks Loose by Nobody: 12:39pm On Jun 20, 2013
goldfish80:
grin grin grin I yaff die grin

1 Like

Re: Lesson In ‘african Pride’: Kenya Kicks Out Nigerians And All Hell Breaks Loose by Nobody: 2:25pm On Jun 20, 2013
goldfish80:
grin Laugh wan rumple my intestines!

1 Like

Re: Lesson In ‘african Pride’: Kenya Kicks Out Nigerians And All Hell Breaks Loose by goldfish80(m): 2:31pm On Jun 20, 2013
dozzybaba: grin Laugh wan rimple my intestines!
laff no fit do that kin thing. Park well there grin
Re: Lesson In ‘african Pride’: Kenya Kicks Out Nigerians And All Hell Breaks Loose by Nobody: 2:44pm On Jun 20, 2013
goldfish80: laff no fit do that kin thing. Park well there grin
u be fake mopol, no be- 'park well' na CLEAAAAR! grin
Re: Lesson In ‘african Pride’: Kenya Kicks Out Nigerians And All Hell Breaks Loose by dasparrow: 2:48pm On Jun 20, 2013
zetdee:

What are you on about? I don't hate Nigerians, I have Nigerian friends ( really ) so the forum is for me.

LOL grin

I give up! undecided
Re: Lesson In ‘african Pride’: Kenya Kicks Out Nigerians And All Hell Breaks Loose by dasparrow: 2:51pm On Jun 20, 2013
babe_online:
*claps hands endlessly for you*

Thank you babe online. Someone has got to tell Zetdee the truth. The guy never says anything positive about Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Lesson In ‘african Pride’: Kenya Kicks Out Nigerians And All Hell Breaks Loose by dasparrow: 2:53pm On Jun 20, 2013
goldfish80:

LOL grin grin

1 Like

Re: Lesson In ‘african Pride’: Kenya Kicks Out Nigerians And All Hell Breaks Loose by cjrane: 4:11pm On Jun 20, 2013
The question is if these deported Nigerians are truly innocent or guilty as alleged.
They should have allowed them to be tried and convicted in a Kenyan court if they broke their law.

[size=13pt]The fact they are "Nigerians" should not deny them the right to fair a trial[/size].

Afterall, Nigerians caught 4 Lebanese men of Amigo stores with tons of weapons and just didn't rush to deport them back to Lebanon,but giving them a right to fair trial.

1 Like

Re: Lesson In ‘african Pride’: Kenya Kicks Out Nigerians And All Hell Breaks Loose by Nobody: 7:18pm On Jun 20, 2013
cjrane: The question is if these deported Nigerians are truly innocent or guilty as alleged.
They should have allowed them to be tried and convicted in a Kenyan court if they broke their law.

The fact they are "Nigerians" should not deny them the right to fair a trial

Afterall, Nigerians caught 4 Lebanese men of Amigo stores with tons of weapons and just didn't rush to deport them back to Lebanon,but giving them a right to fair trial.
That's maturity for you.. Something most African countries lack
Re: Lesson In ‘african Pride’: Kenya Kicks Out Nigerians And All Hell Breaks Loose by Nobody: 7:20pm On Jun 20, 2013
Re: Lesson In ‘african Pride’: Kenya Kicks Out Nigerians And All Hell Breaks Loose by OneNaira6: 6:13am On Jun 21, 2013
Billyonaire:

To be honest, I wasn't being harsh. If I was, it wasn't my intention. That is just how I am

(1) (2) (Reply)

WARNINGS: Aso Rock Auras Spell Doom For Jonathan - Revelation / Madam Kemi Omololu-olunloyo Speaks (Live From Radio Biafra) / Meet The YOUNGEST LAWMAKER, Hon. Engr Obinna Onwubuariri.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.