Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,114 members, 7,811,134 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:51 AM

5 Costly Mistakes People Make With Business Investments - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / 5 Costly Mistakes People Make With Business Investments (15542 Views)

Poultry Farm Business INVESTMENTS - Acquired A Pure Practical Training Here ! / What Kind Of Investment Can One Make With 1.5 Million Naira In Nigeria. / 5 Costly Mistakes Entrepreneurs Make (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Costly Mistakes People Make With Business Investments by Opinionated: 2:25pm On Jul 06, 2017
It’s too easy to make costly mistakes with business investments, especially when you are not armed with the right information and knowledge to guide you. Jumia Travel, the leading online travel agency, shares 5 costly mistakes people make with business investments.

Investing Money They’ll Need Soon

Avoid these kinds of investments that are just based on speculation and market timing. If you are setting money aside for a goal, the money shouldn’t be considered or used for sudden and unplanned investments, especially those that are likely to keep your money on lockdown for a long period of time. You can easily end up regretting it when important and time-sensitive expenses come up.

Not Doing Their Homework

Before investing in any business, it is extremely important to do your homework and research to know the ‘ins and outs of the underlying business’. It is important to understand how the business grows, makes profits and basically, the rubrics of the business. Before engaging in any business investment, you should always remember Peter Lynch’s investment maxim, which states clearly that you should ‘Invest in what you know’.

Neglecting Legal Counse[/b]l

Neglecting legal counsel on business investments is a highly risky, and it can result in damaging consequences. A lot of first-time investors believe that lawyers are just out to get their money, and while that might be partly true, the legal counsel from these lawyers are also very valuable and vital in protecting your interests and resources in any business investment, especially if things unexpectedly go wrong. For example, consider the case of a designer that unknowingly signed a contract that gave her handbag company the trademark to her name. When investors eventually came in, her company name belonged to them, and she was pained by the fact that she could no longer use her own company name. She wished she had gotten a lawyer to give her proper legal counsel. Therefore, it is very necessary to get the right attorney who understands your business goals and can protect your interests well.

[b]Being Emotional With Investments

Mixing emotions with business or money can be very costly, you need to remain as focused, logical and rational as possible. Don’t be an investor that invests without tangible information or evidence, and don’t be an investor that invests based on a hope or desire that things will pull through or get better. Think well and be logical and rational about investments. The two most important emotions you should guard against in making business investments is fear and false hope. According to Aol Finance, basic signs of an emotional investor include: holding on to a failing stock thinking it will come back at some point; selling a stock at the first sign of a loss; and being glued to the financial news cycle.

Procrastinating Investments

Try to avoid not investing early enough because all it really results in is losing good opportunities to grow your money. Stop with the excuses that make you postpone investments, and just do it.

Source: http://www.opinions.ng/costly-mistakes-business-investments/

7 Likes

Re: 5 Costly Mistakes People Make With Business Investments by Franzinni: 3:49pm On Jul 06, 2017
I am FTC... Is this how d the thing sweet? I no even know what to write... Weda to begin curse all those that said I will never achieve anything in life?

Started from the bottom... Now we here!!!

Ehen make i come comment...

Well... I am guilty of many of those in that list... Aren't we all.

3 Likes

Re: 5 Costly Mistakes People Make With Business Investments by jaytime(m): 3:49pm On Jul 06, 2017
Noted. But that number 1 point; I believe after due cost-benefit analysis it is known that the expected ROI far outweighs whatever the money was kept for, it could be wise to jump in to invest the money instead of allowing to be redundant, waiting to be used in future.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Costly Mistakes People Make With Business Investments by Jaytecq(m): 3:49pm On Jul 06, 2017
nice piece
Re: 5 Costly Mistakes People Make With Business Investments by elog(m): 3:49pm On Jul 06, 2017
True. This is quite accurate.
Re: 5 Costly Mistakes People Make With Business Investments by Candybob(m): 3:49pm On Jul 06, 2017
On Point
Re: 5 Costly Mistakes People Make With Business Investments by pautex: 3:50pm On Jul 06, 2017
cheesy
Re: 5 Costly Mistakes People Make With Business Investments by Nobody: 3:50pm On Jul 06, 2017
hmm...

undecidedhmm...
Re: 5 Costly Mistakes People Make With Business Investments by Ekakamba: 3:50pm On Jul 06, 2017
Ba karya!!

You don't wanna get sick? Check my sig. grin
Re: 5 Costly Mistakes People Make With Business Investments by favelli(m): 3:52pm On Jul 06, 2017
Good to know.. nice info
Re: 5 Costly Mistakes People Make With Business Investments by fiftynaira(m): 3:52pm On Jul 06, 2017
Have u seen my beautiful (goldbim)baby??
Re: 5 Costly Mistakes People Make With Business Investments by Bern1992(m): 3:53pm On Jul 06, 2017
Very good and valid points.
Home work is the most important thing.
Re: 5 Costly Mistakes People Make With Business Investments by PointZerom: 3:53pm On Jul 06, 2017
Nigerian lazy youths and gamblers over to you.
Re: 5 Costly Mistakes People Make With Business Investments by whitebeard(m): 3:53pm On Jul 06, 2017
Being emotional with business, who does that... lol
Re: 5 Costly Mistakes People Make With Business Investments by phemsie(m): 3:54pm On Jul 06, 2017
fiftynaira:
R
Hier:
Bravo

anyway check this video out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmRSqGTLjug&itct=CBcQpDAYACITCLylsLLv9NQCFQmnVQodIq8JKlIWbXkgZmF0aGVyIG15IGxvdmUgMjAxNw%3D%3D&hl=en&gl=NG&client=mv-google
favelli:
K
Ekakamba:
Ba karya
netoc65:
hmm...
pautex:
cheesy
Candybob:
On Point
Franzinni:
grin

see them space bookers

1 Like

Re: 5 Costly Mistakes People Make With Business Investments by Hier(m): 3:54pm On Jul 06, 2017
Space for sell, wait, space as how
Re: 5 Costly Mistakes People Make With Business Investments by Hier(m): 3:55pm On Jul 06, 2017
phemsie:

see them space bookers
Looool, fastest finger and fastest network
Re: 5 Costly Mistakes People Make With Business Investments by Goldenheart(m): 3:57pm On Jul 06, 2017
cry

Re: 5 Costly Mistakes People Make With Business Investments by Franzinni: 4:05pm On Jul 06, 2017
phemsie:

see them space bookers
bros.. I had to book it.., you self come book, as space nor day... You come turn self appointed class captain... I day sip the alomo. For my FTC... Nor use your makosa. Spoil my hiphop. Abeg. Abeg... tongue
Re: 5 Costly Mistakes People Make With Business Investments by darlenese(f): 4:06pm On Jul 06, 2017
and also avoid being too spiritual.

separate your business money from your personal money. (that has helped me alot)

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Costly Mistakes People Make With Business Investments by Candybob(m): 4:11pm On Jul 06, 2017
phemsie:

see them space bookers

Lol.. As i see oportunity for FTC, I pounce like Tiger.
But these guys above me ehn! they no get chill at all
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: 5 Costly Mistakes People Make With Business Investments by Rick9(m): 4:14pm On Jul 06, 2017
Nice
Re: 5 Costly Mistakes People Make With Business Investments by Adegbe22: 4:15pm On Jul 06, 2017
Opinionated:
It’s too easy to make costly mistakes with business investments, especially when you are not armed with the right information and knowledge to guide you. Jumia Travel, the leading online travel agency, shares 5 costly mistakes people make with business investments.

Investing Money They’ll Need Soon

Avoid these kinds of investments that are just based on speculation and market timing. If you are setting money aside for a goal, the money shouldn’t be considered or used for sudden and unplanned investments, especially those that are likely to keep your money on lockdown for a long period of time. You can easily end up regretting it when important and time-sensitive expenses come up.

Not Doing Their Homework

Before investing in any business, it is extremely important to do your homework and research to know the ‘ins and outs of the underlying business’. It is important to understand how the business grows, makes profits and basically, the rubrics of the business. Before engaging in any business investment, you should always remember Peter Lynch’s investment maxim, which states clearly that you should ‘Invest in what you know’.

Neglecting Legal Counse[/b]l

Neglecting legal counsel on business investments is a highly risky, and it can result in damaging consequences. A lot of first-time investors believe that lawyers are just out to get their money, and while that might be partly true, the legal counsel from these lawyers are also very valuable and vital in protecting your interests and resources in any business investment, especially if things unexpectedly go wrong. For example, consider the case of a designer that unknowingly signed a contract that gave her handbag company the trademark to her name. When investors eventually came in, her company name belonged to them, and she was pained by the fact that she could no longer use her own company name. She wished she had gotten a lawyer to give her proper legal counsel. Therefore, it is very necessary to get the right attorney who understands your business goals and can protect your interests well.

[b]Being Emotional With Investments

Mixing emotions with business or money can be very costly, you need to remain as focused, logical and rational as possible. Don’t be an investor that invests without tangible information or evidence, and don’t be an investor that invests based on a hope or desire that things will pull through or get better. Think well and be logical and rational about investments. The two most important emotions you should guard against in making business investments is fear and false hope. According to Aol Finance, basic signs of an emotional investor include: holding on to a failing stock thinking it will come back at some point; selling a stock at the first sign of a loss; and being glued to the financial news cycle.

Procrastinating Investments

Try to avoid not investing early enough because all it really results in is losing good opportunities to grow your money. Stop with the excuses that make you postpone investments, and just do it.

Source: http://www.opinions.ng/costly-mistakes-business-investments/
True talk
Re: 5 Costly Mistakes People Make With Business Investments by opalu: 4:24pm On Jul 06, 2017
Hmmm
Re: 5 Costly Mistakes People Make With Business Investments by generaluthman: 4:46pm On Jul 06, 2017
NICE 1
Re: 5 Costly Mistakes People Make With Business Investments by Olibboy: 4:58pm On Jul 06, 2017
Call me investor
Re: 5 Costly Mistakes People Make With Business Investments by Olibboy: 5:00pm On Jul 06, 2017
darlenese:
and also avoid being too spiritual.

separate your business money from your personal money. (that has helped me alot)
Do not calculate your capital with interest. That's a separation technique

2 Likes

Re: 5 Costly Mistakes People Make With Business Investments by Jmodel: 5:16pm On Jul 06, 2017
jaytime:
Noted. But that number 1 point; I believe after due cost-benefit analysis it is known that the expected ROI far outweighs whatever the money was kept for, it could be wise to jump in to invest the money instead of allowing to be redundant, waiting to be used in future.

No matter what d ROI is u must not try it. Cos 70% if investment will turn out sour.
Even d bible said it in ecc11:1-2
Re: 5 Costly Mistakes People Make With Business Investments by goldbim(f): 6:56pm On Jul 06, 2017
fiftynaira:
Have u seen my beautiful (goldbim)baby??
grin grin no be small thing!goldbim is fine o.how's work and life generally?thanks for checking on her cool cool..you rock!!
Re: 5 Costly Mistakes People Make With Business Investments by fiftynaira(m): 7:07pm On Jul 06, 2017
goldbim:
grin grin no be small thing!goldbim is fine o.how's work and life generally?thanks for checking on her cool cool..you rock!!

Me rock?? I wan be stone

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

setting up a cooking gas home delivery service....profit Making Business. / Financial Markets Suffer After JP Morgan Index Expulsion / How To Develop A Savings Culture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.