Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,111 members, 7,828,958 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:33 PM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (1016) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2087690 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1013) (1014) (1015) (1016) (1017) (1018) (1019) ... (1707) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by litaninja(m): 6:20pm On Jun 28, 2021
I have not yet carried out a capacity test, maybe later in the week, i'd just turn of my Grid and solar input, then go from full charge and see how much energy the inverter records as output over the course of the day.
I'm currently using Bulk charging at 28.2v, Float at 27.2v, Max Charging Current at 40Amps, Equalization turned off on the MPP Solar. Any recommendations to improve on the settings are welcome biko.
I would have taken it apart just to see the insides, but the whole thing is riveted! angry angry, I'm sure this is to prevent warranty issues as well. Lmao.

From the ventilation silts, it appears it may be a Daly BMS inside it, although they seem to have sprayed their own name on it grin. Worst Case, I 'd rip it apart and install a BMS of choice, but do i really need to access the BMS? Not sure so far. Afterall, I was using Lead Acid before now.
So far though, I'd say not too bad for the price of a spleen @ #425,000, with a warranty of 5 years, not too bad at all.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 6:32pm On Jun 28, 2021
Awwwwwwn. The battery looks so cute grin grin grin

Can we have a more detailed breakdown of the internals please? Name/Brand of cells, rating, what BMS, compressed/clamped or not e.t.c

I had also reached out to them. Same out of stock issue so I just moved on and decided to do my own custom build.

I had been looking for a viable alternative to Felicity who also happen to go out of stock a lot.

There is some risk with a small player such as these - Will the battery stand the test of time? Will the company exist in 10 years? Will they keep the existing hardware and backward compatibility or will we suffer the pain of hardware revisions and upgrades where they drop support for the legacy product?

litaninja:
So, here is the story of how I decided that I really don't need all my internal organs;
Remember a few months back when this strange company came on the radar but no one really had much information....and we still don't sha.

Well, since someone else had an interesting discussion with them, maybe I could have an interesting visit to them? Na so I enter motor, face the ends of Lagos (i.e. Epe Expressway), to the address provided on their website. The idea was maybe if I get there and actually see the thing in real life, then answers will be provided.

Arrived there after many hours of lagos traffic and discovered a small team taking a break from prepping materials for the manufacture / assembly of said battery units. So I got to discussing with them and got some info.

So they have 2 variants currently, 25.6v & 51.2v, Approx 5KWh and 10KWh respectively. The batteries are made up of 32650 LiFePo cells in the typical parallel and series arrangements we are probably familiar with already. Enclosures are made of steel, they have a couple of CNC machines and other tools to round off, finish and add aesthetics to the final product.
Still not too much by way of technical details, I was interested in the 25.6v variant, so, max charging current is 50Amps, Max Charging voltage is 28.8V.
There is a BMS and active balancer, but unfortunately no form of external communication to both. On pressing for the reasons behind this, reason such as, most average users are not really interested in communicating with a BMS (na una DIY people dey always wan chook and press something), warranty issues from improper configurations and misuse by the users and most importantly, the cost of communication capable BMS. The manufacturer is trying to keep the price down so it remains affordable (or at least as affordable as LiFePo can be sha).
There's a small LCD screen that displays the voltage and SOC though, so....

Anyways, after a couple of minutes with them, I felt convinced enough to take the plunge on behalf of the FTA Solar forum. But alas, there were NO UNITS in stock at that time. Due to the costs of scaling, logistics and general nigerian problems sha, they are only able to get a few units out per month. I was informed that they are working hard to try to scale up, get investments and generally increase production output but for now, dem dey manage as the whole Nigeria dey manage.

I promised to keep in touch and also got a promise that they'd try to squeeze a unit for me from the next batch.
This was about 3 weeks ago, anyways, last thursday I got a call from them, informing me that a 25.6v unit was available for the taking if i wanted.....na so i go do the surgery o.

Ladies and gentlemen....I now have a Pelton LiFePo battery, it does exist and it does look like its as advertised.
There's a 5-year warranty on the unit and there is the promise of after warranty repairs and support for a fee of course.
Pictures attached!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 6:34pm On Jun 28, 2021
Ah I see you beat me to it.

You mean you gave up just your spleen to afford Lithium? Some of us had to give up 1 kidney and other vitals o grin

litaninja:
I have not yet carried out a capacity test, maybe later in the week, i'd just turn of my Grid and solar input, then go from full charge and see how much energy the inverter records as output over the course of the day.
I'm currently using Bulk charging at 28.2v, Float at 27.2v, Max Charging Current at 40Amps, Equalization turned off on the MPP Solar. Any recommendations to improve on the settings are welcome biko.
I would have taken it apart just to see the insides, but the whole thing is riveted! angry angry, I'm sure this is to prevent warranty issues as well. Lmao.

From the ventilation silts, it appears it may be a Daly BMS inside it, although they seem to have sprayed their own name on it grin. Worst Case, I 'd rip it apart and install a BMS of choice, but do i really need to access the BMS? Not sure so far. Afterall, I was using Lead Acid before now.
So far though, I'd say not too bad for the price of a spleen @ #425,000, with a warranty of 5 years, not too bad at all.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dollarnaira: 6:49pm On Jun 28, 2021
litaninja:
Really starting to Look like self-reviews if you ask me....

Hmmmm
In Swahili
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by litaninja(m): 6:54pm On Jun 28, 2021
Lmao @ awwwnnnnnn......make una no make me dey roll for ground abeg.
Yea, by the time I factored the cost, time and other things that'll come up for a custom build, I just decided to have some faith in them. Also, they were able to come through just in time for me. So I guess that worked out. I see you already responded about the internals, the thing is sealed up like CBN.
Regarding the test of time for both the company and battery itself, fingers crossed o. We just have to support them to support us as well.
Oh yes, in my conversation with them, I was also told they're trying to localize as many of the components as possible, including the BMS and balancer and then they'd work on comms too. So maybe there would be a hardware revision along the line, hopefully, it won't be too drastic and they would be able to retrofit their older units with the upgrades.
Tomorrow get belle sha.

NiyiOmoIyunade:
Awwwwwwn. The battery looks so cute grin grin grin

Can we have a more detailed breakdown of the internals please? Name/Brand of cells, rating, what BMS, compressed/clamped or not e.t.c

I had also reached out to them. Same out of stock issue so I just moved on and decided to do my own custom build.

I had been looking for a viable alternative to Felicity who also happen to go out of stock a lot.

There is some risk with a small player such as these - Will the battery stand the test of time? Will the company exist in 10 years? Will they keep the existing hardware and backward compatibility or will we suffer the pain of hardware revisions and upgrades where they drop support for the legacy product?

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by litaninja(m): 6:57pm On Jun 28, 2021
Me i be upcoming o.....this one don do.....for now. wink

NiyiOmoIyunade:
Ah I see you beat me to it.

You mean you gave up just your spleen to afford Lithium? Some of us had to give up 1 kidney and other vitals o grin

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 7:05pm On Jun 28, 2021
mcTrinity:

Hi mctfopt,
I doubt every member need migrate to email to be enlightened. It's a vital info that everyone need to have access to.

Kindly find attached (Pic 1) what should be his layout based on the details he provided. With the looping method ensure the battery bank cables for +ve and - ve sides are NOT taken from the same string. Take one from the 1st string and the other from the last string. The first string shows the connections for a typical HA02 Battery Equalizer (or Balancer). The blue dotted lines are the links to form the "one giant bank". It ensure a more balanced setup, as he's rightly said. It must not necessarily be same size as the battery serial interconnecting links. The battery serial interconnecting link cable can be 35mm.sq or 50mm.sq, whereas the parallel interlink cable can just 6mm.sq or 10mm.sq (in Efuro's case). I also use 10mm.sq or 16mm.sq

Please, credit should go to oga Niyi... Sometime ago, I was faced with a serious unbalanced issue in a new setup for a client and Niyi took out time to explain this interlinking between paralleled strings. I've seen it depicted in HA02 manual but never give it a thought, until Niyi made it easy.
Accordingly, you can use 1#, instead of 2#, HA02 for a 2-string battery bank.

Moreover, Pic 2 is a better method to parallel the strings. Each string is independently paralleled with same length and same size cable to a common busbar... Cheers

This is complex. I doubt a picture would've done it justice. Thanks a lot for taking out time to drop a schematic. It now makes it easier for anyone to accomplish same following this your detailed drawing. Thanks a lot. Man will just have to spend more on wires, the cost of which pales in comparison to that you'll incur if you use the traditional 48v connection.

Thanks to all y'all sharing premium info for free grin

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 7:18pm On Jun 28, 2021
litaninja:

I'm only glad you still have your heart after this payment grin

I like their packaging. Wish you can push more charging current into it. I guess you can't have it all. Please update the house when you have time to run a capacity test. I like the so many ways to kill the rat now available to Nigerians in the lifepo4 space.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by litaninja(m): 8:02pm On Jun 28, 2021
LOl. Yes, it does look nice and presentable. I'll update on the capacity test once done.
And it can take up to 50 Amps for charging, I'm only limiting to 40Amps on my end. I would like to believe the 51.2v model can do more amps for charging.

mctfopt:

I'm only glad you still have your heart after this payment grin

I like their packaging. Wish you can push more charging current into it. I guess you can't have it all. Please update the house when you have time to run a capacity test. I like the so many ways to kill the rat now available to Nigerians in the lifepo4 space.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tetralogyfallot(m): 9:33pm On Jun 28, 2021
High quality Samsung 18650 cells available. Check my signature for WhatsApp contact

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by generationz(f): 9:39pm On Jun 28, 2021
tetralogyfallot:
the mah is highly over bloated. I do sell good quality Samsung 18650 cells with average of 2500 to 3000mah sha

I don't know how to set it up.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tetralogyfallot(m): 9:44pm On Jun 28, 2021
generationz:

I don't know how to set it up.
we can build it for u.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by samnaija: 11:17pm On Jun 28, 2021
mcTrinity:

Hi mctfopt,
I doubt every member need migrate to email to be enlightened. It's a vital info that everyone need to have access to.

Kindly find attached (Pic 1) what should be his layout based on the details he provided. With the looping method ensure the battery bank cables for +ve and - ve sides are NOT taken from the same string. Take one from the 1st string and the other from the last string. The first string shows the connections for a typical HA02 Battery Equalizer (or Balancer). The blue dotted lines are the links to form the "one giant bank". It ensure a more balanced setup, as he's rightly said. It must not necessarily be same size as the battery serial interconnecting links. The battery serial interconnecting link cable can be 35mm.sq or 50mm.sq, whereas the parallel interlink cable can just 6mm.sq or 10mm.sq (in Efuro's case). I also use 10mm.sq or 16mm.sq

Please, credit should go to oga Niyi... Sometime ago, I was faced with a serious unbalanced issue in a new setup for a client and Niyi took out time to explain this interlinking between paralleled strings. I've seen it depicted in HA02 manual but never give it a thought, until Niyi made it easy.

Moreover, Pic 2 is a better method to parallel the strings. Each string is independently paralleled with same length and same size cable to a common busbar... Cheers

Thanks very informative, pls pics2. Is the outer parallel cable between the strings not necessary. Also if I get u correctly in this kind of setup one battery balancer can serve two strings . Thanks again.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by jamesid29(m): 11:29pm On Jun 28, 2021
litaninja:
So, here is the story of how I decided that I really don't need all my internal organs;
Remember a few months back when this strange company came on the radar but no one really had much information....and we still don't sha.

I tried to reach out to them via chat, but that didn't really give me the conviction that was needed. Also, put a call across to @Ojeysky which provided some feedback as well.

Well, since someone else had an interesting discussion with them, maybe I could have an interesting visit to them? Na so I enter motor, face the ends of Lagos (i.e. Epe Expressway), to the address provided on their website. The idea was maybe if I get there and actually see the thing in real life, then answers will be provided.

Arrived there after many hours of lagos traffic and discovered a small team taking a break from prepping materials for the manufacture / assembly of said battery units. So I got to discussing with them and got some info.

So they have 2 variants currently, 25.6v & 51.2v, Approx 5KWh and 10KWh respectively. The batteries are made up of 32650 LiFePo cells in the typical parallel and series arrangements we are probably familiar with already. Enclosures are made of steel, they have a couple of CNC machines and other tools to round off, finish and add aesthetics to the final product.
Still not too much by way of technical details, I was interested in the 25.6v variant, so, max charging current is 50Amps, Max Charging voltage is 28.8V.
There is a BMS and active balancer, but unfortunately no form of external communication to both. On pressing for the reasons behind this, reason such as, most average users are not really interested in communicating with a BMS (na una DIY people dey always wan chook and press something), warranty issues from improper configurations and misuse by the users and most importantly, the cost of communication capable BMS. The manufacturer is trying to keep the price down so it remains affordable (or at least as affordable as LiFePo can be sha).

Anyways, after a couple of minutes with them, I felt convinced enough to take the plunge on behalf of the FTA Solar forum. But alas, there were NO UNITS in stock at that time. Due to the costs of scaling, logistics and general nigerian problems sha, they are only able to get a few units out per month. I was informed that they are working hard to try to scale up, get investments and generally increase production output but for now, dem dey manage as the whole Nigeria dey manage.

I promised to keep in touch and also got a promise that they'd try to squeeze a unit for me from the next batch.
This was about 3 weeks ago, anyways, last thursday I got a call from them, informing me that a 25.6v unit was available for the taking if i wanted.....na so i go do the surgery o.

Ladies and gentlemen....I now have a Pelton LiFePo battery, it does exist and it does look like its as advertised.
There's a 5-year warranty on the unit and there is the promise of after warranty repairs and support for a fee of course.
Pictures attached!
I dey laugh as I dey read your write up grin.... Nice one bro.
I see all my ogas don dey ask for capacity test and component breakdown grin grin.
Make others self dey ready sell kidney ontop their battery be that. But this their low volume of production go be problem sha, it is well... Running a business (especially ones that involve hardware) in Nigeria is tough.

Just thinking out loud though, I think the fact that they riveted the whole thing down might mean they are not expecting any thing to break internally. Which is a good sign,I guess

Thanks for sharing with the house boss... please keep us abreast of how it performs in the wild, whenever you can.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by jamesid29(m): 11:36pm On Jun 28, 2021
mcTrinity:

Hi mctfopt,

Thanks for taking out of your time to explain boss. You the real MVP
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mcTrinity(m): 11:52pm On Jun 28, 2021
samnaija:

Thanks very informative, pls pics2. Is the outer parallel cable between the strings not necessary. Also if I get u correctly in this kind of setup one battery balancer can serve two strings . Thanks again.

Hi Samnaija,

The outer cable is the looping cable, to parallel all the strings together. For Pic 2 methodology, you longer need to loop. Each string is independently cabled to a common bus where they are paralleled. Hope it's clear

And YES, one Balancer can serve two strings, PROVIDED that both strings are interlinked as indicated by the dotted lines... Cheers
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 3:58am On Jun 29, 2021
litaninja:

I tried to reach out to them via chat, but that didn't really give me the conviction that was needed. Also, put a call across to @Ojeysky which provided some feedback as well.

Pictures attached!

Finally! Congratulations Sir, looks like they've done some remodeling of their battery pack, the packaging really looks sleek. It will really be great to know if the capacity checks out. Don't think I can afford to use any lithium back that doesn't talk to me so maybe asking them to provide a version with manageable BMS for perhaps a slight increase in price will be worth it. Meanwhile u missed an important part o, which is pricing wink

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ObabyObaby: 6:06am On Jun 29, 2021
tetralogyfallot:
we can build it for u.
how much will it cost to build 12v 100ah
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Namzy(m): 7:37am On Jun 29, 2021
ojeysky:

Finally! Congratulations Sir, looks like they've done some remodeling of their battery pack, the packaging really looks sleek. It will really be great to know if the capacity checks out. Don't think I can afford to use any lithium back that doesn't talk to me so maybe asking them to provide a version with manageable BMS for perhaps a slight increase in price will be worth it. Meanwhile u missed an important part o, which is pricing wink
I think he said ₦425,000

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Namzy(m): 7:44am On Jun 29, 2021
adrusa:

Oh hate oh Seven 14 hate two five 2
Missing one number
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 8:09am On Jun 29, 2021
Namzy:

I think he said ₦425,000

Good price if he gets 5kwh off it. Buying lead acid almost no longer look appealing because the only hurdle was price point of lithium which seem no longer to be the case.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by litaninja(m): 9:07am On Jun 29, 2021
Yea...price is #425,000

ojeysky:

Good price if he gets 5kwh off it. Buying lead acid almost no longer look appealing because the only hurdle was price point of lithium which seem no longer to be the case.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by litaninja(m): 9:09am On Jun 29, 2021
Yea, that might be possible. But with the way they sounded, not sure they'd still offer the 5 warranty with that. The idea was that the BMS and balancer installed are bulletproof tried and trusted.

ojeysky:

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojesymsym: 10:53am On Jun 29, 2021
Nice one you have here.
With regards to your setting, you may want to pay attention to Adrusa's comment on the issue. You can also decide to go through the highly enlightening back and forth between him and Niyi.
litaninja:

adrusa:

I don't know what else "lithium profile" on a charger mean other than setting bulk, absorption and float voltage to the same value and disable equalization. That is exactly what happens when I select "lithium profile" from victron charger. As to the fear of continuous float charges on the battery, the BMS usually does the remaining. When my lithium batteries enter "float" the current meters read zero.

So, if you have a perfectly good charger (inverter or Charge controller) on which you can modify the charging parameters, I don't see the need to waste extra money on any "lithium" profile, I honestly think it is a scam for manufacturers to make a little extra money on selling their inverters and chargers.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by adrusa: 11:17am On Jun 29, 2021
Namzy:

Missing one number

My apologies
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Kellyd2: 4:51pm On Jun 29, 2021
Hi guys. Check out this amazing offer.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Trippledots(m): 8:57pm On Jun 29, 2021
remizvxcq:
Also interested in 32pcs of the 280Ah LFP cells if price is USD99/pc
I got a (high?) quote of USD550 for 1CBM sea-shipping from China to Lagos port and excluding clearing.
1 CBM is apparently about 80pcs?

So the tally so far seems to be:
1. 48pcs Toluxa1
2. 64 pcs Barezzi
3 32 pcs Remizvxcq
Any one else, please indicate demand fast.

cc
valto
barezzi
toluxa1
saipro (you know you want some!)

To set up a 12v/280 bank, inclusive of the battery balancer (can't recall the name now). How much will that cost? Incl. Shipping.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by wilmaria14: 11:27pm On Jun 29, 2021
Namzy:
House help ac pump or dc solar pump which is preferable and which last longer? If dc name good brands please
where do u want to use it
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by samnaija: 1:50am On Jun 30, 2021
mcTrinity:

Hi Samnaija,

The outer cable is the looping cable, to parallel all the strings together. For Pic 2 methodology, you longer need to loop. Each string is independently cabled to a common bus where they are paralleled. Hope it's clear

And YES, one Balancer can serve two strings, PROVIDED that both strings are interlinked as indicated by the dotted lines... Cheers
Thanks for taking time..
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by samnaija: 2:00am On Jun 30, 2021
Namzy:
House help ac pump or dc solar pump which is preferable and which last longer? If dc name good brands please

It depends if it is for your personal use and you have a big enough system 2kva inverter upwards and adequate panels, then go for ac pump .
But if it is a community project by all means go for DC pump.

DC pump ain't cheap
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dam5reey(m): 8:27am On Jun 30, 2021
What to get into Lifepo4 cells with budget cheesy I have this 8 cells used as back up for 4 weeks, 105ah

You can customize to 12.8V 210Ah or 25.6V 105ah..

Sold

25k per cell (DIY Busbars and screws included) - slightly negotiable

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Namzy(m): 8:29am On Jun 30, 2021
wilmaria14:
where do u want to use it
Home use

(1) (2) (3) ... (1013) (1014) (1015) (1016) (1017) (1018) (1019) ... (1707) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.