Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,788 members, 7,817,276 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:16 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (1098) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2060273 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1095) (1096) (1097) (1098) (1099) (1100) (1101) ... (1692) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 12:13pm On Dec 22, 2021
guente02:

Omo, I ain't about to do all these DIY shiiiii, I'll call the installer to come replace these batteries with a 48v pack and pay the difference, I guess he doesn't know how inefficient series charging them would be.

Now you're talking sir. All the stress is not worth it.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 1:23pm On Dec 22, 2021
samnaija:

On my remote it is written 2 to 6 hour if u set it. but if you leave it on induction , it will come on at sun down, 6.50pm and by 2am it is off battery dead . So what I do, is on some then by 11pm switch it off then on others to morning. Most don't don't last 12hrs at a stretch at least my own and my neighbor. But because of my experience in solar I don't let them get depleted like my neighbor, that is why Mine is working while all is own has packed up

It seems yours isn't of the best stock. I have two solar lights that have functioned quite well for over one year. They light up with constant intensity from dusk till dawn. One started acting up about 3 weeks ago (it lights up thru the daytime when it's charging but goes off at night probably after the battery must have been depleted during daytime). It also became non responsive to the remote. What I did was simply to get a replacement circuit at less than 1k5 and fixed it.

The circuits are damn cheap on AliExpress and you an DIY these lights yourself with a cheap 6v 5w solar panel (around 3k on Konga/Jumia) and two or three pieces of 18650 (BMS protected) cells depending on the duration of lighting you want. The BMS you will need is 1s Li-ion which is also under 150 naira.

Another one I DIYed has two protected 18650s and lights up from dusk till dawn with constant intensity.

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mrmachine: 2:03pm On Dec 22, 2021
Gurus in the house, please someone introduced me to a new brand Xtrapower; they have inverters, lithium batteries , charge controllers and other renewable solar products. Please has anybody used any of their products or have a review of them . Please help me before I enter one chance. Thanks

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ewizard1: 3:33pm On Dec 22, 2021
gadgetplanetng:
Your lamp isn't good quality.

The one at my home was installed August 2017, comes on around 7pm and I still see it on by 5am.

Exactly my reason for questioning "2 - 6hrs"
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 3:36pm On Dec 22, 2021
smallsmall:

I was preparing to buy a few of the same Street Lights after the New Year festivities and would have trusted the Seller on his Warranty Claims but l guess he would also turn around to tell me It is just sheer deception designed to sell the product!

This does not speak well of the Seller at all, and all those who act like That.

Till our people know that business requires making some sacrifices. Ever since my Chinese seller did that warranty replacement, I've recommended their products to at least 7, out of which 5 actually made a purchase. Nothing beats knowing your seller got you covered should things go awry.

4 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 3:38pm On Dec 22, 2021
ceaser:

It seems yours isn't of the best stock. I have two solar lights that have functioned quite well for over one year. They light up with constant intensity from dusk till dawn. One started acting up about 3 weeks ago (it lights up thru the daytime when it's charging but goes off at night probably after the battery must have been depleted during daytime). It also became non responsive to the remote. What I did was simply to get a replacement circuit at less than 1k5 and fixed it.

The circuits are damn cheap on AliExpress and you an DIY these lights yourself with a cheap 6v 5w solar panel (around 3k on Konga/Jumia) and two or three pieces of 18650 (BMS protected) cells depending on the duration of lighting you want. The BMS you will need is 1s Li-ion which is also under 150 naira.

Another one I DIYed has two protected 18650s and lights up from dusk till dawn with constant intensity.

What's the name of this light? Please screenshot it
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by brightk(m): 4:00pm On Dec 22, 2021
can anyone recommend a charge controller with lifepo4 profiles? i am not comfortable with my current controller.......
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Valto(m): 4:10pm On Dec 22, 2021
brightk:
can anyone recommend a charge controller with lifepo4 profiles? i am not comfortable with my current controller.......
which one are u using presently and how many volts system
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Namzy(m): 5:29pm On Dec 22, 2021
ewizard1:

2 or 3hrs of operation?
Lol I was suprised too.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 5:53pm On Dec 22, 2021
gadgetplanetng:

The one at my home was installed August 2017, comes on around 7pm and I still see it on by 5am.

the solar lamps, doesnt it have specs written on the body?..like capacity of internal battery in ah, and energy consumption of the lamps/leds in watts. wattage of solar panels too.

from this a savvy person can calculate and deduce how msny hours the light should last averagely...
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 7:05pm On Dec 22, 2021
samnaija:

Controllers cant guaranty constant voltage, cloud effects , bad wheather and so on. You can carry out a little experiment charge with nepa only and discharge, also charge with controller and discharge. You will notice a difference in run time. The rule is once a while charge with nepa

I like to get the logic; are you saying if I charge a battery to full via either utility or solar PV the run time will be different with same load?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by gadgetplanetng: 7:28pm On Dec 22, 2021
ojeysky:

I like to get the logic; are you saying if I charge a battery to full via either utility or solar PV the run time will be different with same load?

I was waiting for another person to ask this because I've been confused
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by samnaija: 7:28pm On Dec 22, 2021
ojeysky:

So you did not get the part bad wheather you quoted
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 7:59pm On Dec 22, 2021
samnaija:

So you did not get the part bad wheather you quoted

The way you worded your message is what was confusing....PV planning is important hence things like weather condition needs to be put into consideration in your planning if you want to ensure your batteries are fully charge via sunlight.

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by samnaija: 8:15pm On Dec 22, 2021
ojeysky:

The way you worded your message is what was confusing....PV planning is important hence things like weather condition needs to be put into consideration in your planning if you want to ensure your batteries are fully charge via sunlight.

No you don't get, it was suggested that charging with grid is not necessary only panels is ok. And I suggested adding grid supply for back up in bad wheather. What fault is there. We are protecting our investment. I suggested an external charger since the inverter as issues. Batteries are the most expensive hardware in a set up.

Now you are opening another segment, adequate or large panel arrays is not enough for bad wheather, you also need a big battery bank .with this two you can smile. They work hand in hand .
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ceaser: 8:17pm On Dec 22, 2021
mctfopt:

What's the name of this light? Please screenshot it

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by brightk(m): 9:43pm On Dec 22, 2021
Valto:
which one are u using presently and how many volts system

i am currently using the epever tracer 3210an series.. the websites says it supports lithium even the manual says the same thing.. each time i try to change the battery type from the lcd display i only see sealed/gel/flooded/user-defined.... i dont know if i should get the interface cable to connect to pc and maybe use the software interface to see if i can change it from there. sad

i am using a 24v 200ah lithium setup.....
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Valto(m): 10:24pm On Dec 22, 2021
brightk:

i am currently using the epever tracer 3210an series.. the websites says it supports lithium even the manual says the same thing.. each time i try to change the battery type from the lcd display i only see sealed/gel/flooded/ user-defined . i dont know if i should get the interface cable to connect to pc and maybe use the software interface to see if i can change it from there. sad

i am using a 24v 200ah lithium setup.....
then use that user defined. edit it according to your battery charge specifications.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Mustiboy(m): 10:28pm On Dec 22, 2021
Good evening, experts and experienced users in the house. Please I need help.

I was on a budget and needed a setup that could power just a few appliances; namely, bulbs (25 wtts total), two fans ( 100 watts), and 55wtts TV once in a while. I didn't necessarily need to have the inverter on all the time. Just about 12hrs of usage was okay for me.

The Solar expert got two 260 watts panel, a 1.5kva inverter, and a 100amps battery, a pwm charge controller, totalling around 220k.

I wasn't impressed with the battery performance, but, I just needed to be able to charge my laptop and phones.

Now the problem is Nepa light charges the battery full, but the panels can't charge it. A really sunny day would barely give you an hour of usage at night with just the bulbs on and phones plugged in.

I complained and noticed he was dodging my observations that the panels might be bad. He later came and connected the panels directly to the battery and not through the charge controller. This didn't improve or fix the solar charging ish.

I've been depending on Nepa to charge the battery ever since. You can't even on the inverter when the battery had run down and the sun eventually rises. It'll scream battery low in no time.

Now, I just need a panel that can charge a 100amps battery full in the mean time. I just need to be able to charge my phones, laptop, and maybe on one 50w fan.

Will a 160w panel suffice, if yes, which?

Lest I forget, the battery lasts around 3 hours with 150w+ load. Surely, I'm upgrading to a better battery soon. Just need a panel to charge the current one in the meantime and allow usage during the day.

The 260w panels are literally useless for now. It was a scorching sunlight today, yet I couldn't even charge my phones

Please what panel can I manage in the meantime?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by brightk(m): 11:07pm On Dec 22, 2021
Valto:
then use that user defined. edit it according to your battery charge specifications.
it doesnt respond via the lcd interface.. My best bet is via the software interface
its a CC-USB-RS485-150U PC Communication Cable and i dont have it

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dishtech(m): 11:44pm On Dec 22, 2021
Mustiboy:

I was on a budget and needed a setup that could power just a few appliances; namely, bulbs (25 wtts total), two fans ( 100 watts), and 55wtts TV once in a while. I didn't necessarily need to have the inverter on all the time. Just about 12hrs of usage was okay for me.

The Solar expert got two 260 watts panel, a 1.5kva inverter, and a 100amps battery, a pwm charge controller, totalling around 220k.

I wasn't impressed with the battery performance, but, I just needed to be able to charge my laptop and phones.

Now the problem is Nepa light charges the battery full, but the panels can't charge it. A really sunny day would barely give you an hour of usage at night with just the bulbs on and phones plugged in.

I complained and noticed he was dodging my observations that the panels might be bad. He later came and connected the panels directly to the battery and not through the charge controller. This didn't improve or fix the solar charging ish.

I've been depending on Nepa to charge the battery ever since. You can't even on the inverter when the battery had run down and the sun eventually rises. It'll scream battery low in no time.

Now, I just need a panel that can charge a 100amps battery full in the mean time. I just need to be able to charge my phones, laptop, and maybe on one 50w fan.

Lest I forget, the battery lasts around 3 hours with 150w+ load. Surely, I'm upgrading to a better battery soon. Just need a panel to charge the current one in the meantime and allow usage during the day.

The 260w panels are literally useless for now. It was a scorching sunlight today, yet I couldn't even charge my phones

My Observations are as follows:
1. Your 260w x 2 is not efficient using pwm on 12v system he would have used 150w panels so change your charge controller to mppt. I think one is advertised here at 52k.
2. Check your panels orientation,
3. What size of cable use for your system.
In conclusion since you already have 520w panels already it is better to buy another mppt charge controller than to change the panels.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by IYGEAL(m): 12:00am On Dec 23, 2021
brightk:
it doesnt respond via the lcd interface.. My best bet is via the software interface
its a CC-USB-RS485-150U PC Communication Cable and i dont have it

That cable and the software are what you need. I have the triron series and once used it to charge lithium batteries. The settings have lots of voltage controls.

Order the cable from AliExpress or jumia
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 2:44am On Dec 23, 2021
[quote author=ceaser post=108731418][/quote]

Thanks man.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Penuelseun(m): 2:47am On Dec 23, 2021
Mustiboy:

It will be better to get another installer to check the installation for you, where is your location by the way?

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by smallsmall: 4:03am On Dec 23, 2021
gadgetplanetng:

Please, can you drop us the picture and name of the one youare using and probably where you bought them.
I want to buy a good one, and willing to pay a reasonable price for it too.

@everyone who have chipped in one word or two on the issue of "Seller not honoring Warranty", l thank you all.
I have learned a lot from you guys.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Mustiboy(m): 5:51am On Dec 23, 2021
Dishtech:

My Observations are as follows:
1. Your 260w x 2 is not efficient using pwm on 12v system he would have used 150w panels so change your charge controller to mppt. I think one is advertised here at 52k.
2. Check your panels orientation,
3. What size of cable use for your system.
In conclusion since you already have 520w panels already it is better to buy another mppt charge controller than to change the panels.

Thanks, Chief. I really appreciate your prompt response

1. By 12v system, do you mean the 1.5kva inverter I'm using? However, for me, MPTT is an overkill, since I have just two panels and a 100amps battery.
Moreover, the installer already connected the panels directly to the battery. So the PWM charge controller is not connected.

2. I'm not adept at this. Do you suggest I call another installer?

3. I'm don't the size of cables either. In conclusion, are you saying my panels might be good, and the problem is coming from somewhere else? I'd be happy if this is the case
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dollarnaira: 6:08am On Dec 23, 2021
Mustiboy:

My little experience here with a first time
190w panel(used Canadian solar) and 30A cc pwm.
First time I got just 1.2a charging current despite the downside of just 1pv and cc type, I was still convinced that I should still get sth better. Days passed by without improvement. Panel facing south with good Sun. Na so I carry panel put from fence to ground in order to open it up. I replaced all 3 diodes without improvement.

Since it is a DIY test project, I stood d the panel again on the floor but this time vertically in order to adjust its orientation while checking decrease and increase in voltage. To my amazement voltage shut up to 39.5v above spec. That was when it was clear that ORIENTATION was the problem. I do not like d idea of pv being on the roof though in case of cleaning and adjustments.

Right now my pv is resting on a fence. The rest position was tilted till I got 4.3A. I was shocked to see this and any further attempt to adjust its orientation with d mind to get above d 4.3A, it dropped again. Na so i quietly set am back to d original position.

If pwm can push me 4.3a, then mppt should do better i guess. Will definitely upgrade with mppt and 1 or 2 more pv to crown it all.

Pwm is a pulse cc, current no dey stable.
N.B :To OP, Pwm is bad for any set up above 400w.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dollarnaira: 6:14am On Dec 23, 2021
Mustiboy:

1. By 12v system, do you mean the 1.5kva inverter I'm using? However, for me, MPTT is an overkill, since I have just two panels and a 100amps battery.
Moreover, the installer already connected the panels directly to the battery. So the PWM charge controller is not connected.

2. I'm not adept at this. Do you suggest I call another installer?

3. I'm don't the size of cables either. In conclusion, are you saying my panels might be good, and the problem is coming from somewhere else? I'd be happy if this is the case

Are ur panels 12 or 24v?
Pv directly to battery? Clearly ur pv is not maxing out good voltage. If not, ur battery must had been fried by now. grin.

Are ur pv mono or poly?
What is the spec?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Valto(m): 6:18am On Dec 23, 2021
i see some problems resulting from the use of cheap pwm cc on this thread. grab this offers at heavily discounted prices
Suoer 12v Pure Sine Wave 1500VA Power Inverter with Built in 20A Battery Charger. with full editable charge settings and other parameter settings.
compatible lithium battery. can power any fridge or freezer comfortably. it is fitted with torodial transformer with incredible low energy consumption @ 80k.
brand new Epever 30A Mppt Charge Controller Tracer A Series 12v/24v for @49k

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojesymsym: 8:57am On Dec 23, 2021
Please go and disconnect this one by yourself right now. As in immediately.
Mustiboy:

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dam5reey(m): 9:13am On Dec 23, 2021
Mustiboy:

I don't understand why you should allow that in the first, in this age, if you are able to Comment on Nairaland, I feel you should be able to do simple research about Charge controller and why you should not Connect panels to batteries directly.. make use of Google my friend..

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (1095) (1096) (1097) (1098) (1099) (1100) (1101) ... (1692) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.