Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,726 members, 7,816,984 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:09 PM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (1166) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2059220 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1163) (1164) (1165) (1166) (1167) (1168) (1169) ... (1692) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tsiriman(m): 8:38pm On Apr 26, 2022
NiyiOmoIyunade:
I have used both JBD and JK BMS - JBD BMS were originally targeted at medical devices so quite rugged build quality and plenty fail safe features built in.

If you want a pro product with plenty flexibility, ability to talk to inverters via RS485, up to 2A active balancing then choose the JK BMS - if you have multiple BMSs in your battery bank the JK also switches between BMSs far better and smoother than JBD.

I say the JK BMS is a pro product because it does not forgive wiring mistakes and also needs a special procedure to wake up the BMS - once you can handle these two aspects you are set to go forever.

Seplos too is a good BMS with active balancer and comms but very failure prone in real life use (we are told there is a bad batch with defective parts released into the market)

I would rank the Dalys and ANTs of this world behind all these BMSs above - typically these cost more and are more quirky but I have yet to see any reason to choose them over a JK or JBD BMS for example.

I have attached screenshots from my JK BMS (current favorite) and JBD BMS respectively - as you can see they each achieve good results and keep your pack happy - the JK is the better value product of the two in my opinion.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience, this will really help in guiding me to make an informed decision on my DIY battery bank.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by olopan(m): 10:36pm On Apr 26, 2022
The GUI of these BMS with parameters display is quite easy to understand and yet detailed.

NiyiOmoIyunade:
I have used both JBD and JK BMS - JBD BMS were originally targeted at medical devices so quite rugged build quality and plenty fail safe features built in.

If you want a pro product with plenty flexibility, ability to talk to inverters via RS485, up to 2A active balancing then choose the JK BMS - if you have multiple BMSs in your battery bank the JK also switches between BMSs far better and smoother than JBD.

I say the JK BMS is a pro product because it does not forgive wiring mistakes and also needs a special procedure to wake up the BMS - once you can handle these two aspects you are set to go forever.

Seplos too is a good BMS with active balancer and comms but very failure prone in real life use (we are told there is a bad batch with defective parts released into the market)

I would rank the Dalys and ANTs of this world behind all these BMSs above - typically these cost more and are more quirky but I have yet to see any reason to choose them over a JK or JBD BMS for example.

I have attached screenshots from my JK BMS (current favorite) and JBD BMS respectively - as you can see they each achieve good results and keep your pack happy - the JK is the better value product of the two in my opinion.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mctfopt: 6:32am On Apr 27, 2022
NiyiOmoIyunade:

Currently use JK with 2A balance current. Two years and it's still kicking grin

Used it in both 24v system and 48v. Pretty great BMS

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dam5reey(m): 7:37am On Apr 27, 2022
mctfopt:

Currently use JK with 2A balance current. Two years and it's still kicking grin

Used it in both 24v system and 48v. Pretty great BMS

What's your balance open voltage?
Balancing at below 3.3V is just creating unbalance cells.
From 3.4V or below 3.0Vper cell is where balancing is necessary.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bbally: 4:59pm On Apr 27, 2022
uniqUN:

The late response is no problems at all. As a matter of fact, I was just about going for the inverter and I thought I should check here one last time.

You got me smiling. I hope your buddies bought you a bottle of wine for showing them the road?

I must say that I'm caught in the same net as your friends on this inverter choice. I see a couple of people here saying the separate setup is better than the hybrid inverter for the fact that once the hybrid is faulty, everything goes out the window but for the separate setup, you can still salvage either of both CC and the inverter. Although, I considered the chances of both the separate setup also getting faulty at the same time - or even worse. I decided to JUMP on the bandwagon of "team separate" o.

I'm actually going for the 1.6KVA Pure Sine Wave. Wanted to go for the 2000w but the CC specification says it should not go beyond 1440w (which I believe I still have gone against if I go for this 1.6KVA) or you will have to buy either two 60A CC or an 80A which this particular seller does not have. I guess this is where the hybrid outplays this "manual" setup cheesy auto detection and adjustment and less cumbersome. I do not intend to use it for more than the things I have listed. In fact, when the time comes for upgrades, I'm just going to overhaul everything if I have familiarized myself with one or two about solar energy.

Thanks for the time and advice Sir. I honestly do appreciate it.

But is there anything else you think I might need besides these?

Hello bro, I will suggest you try out new pure sine wave inverter that kiekie just advertised instead of ordering from AliExpress and waiting for 3weeks. it has 2000w(1000w) and 2400w(1200w) in 12/24/48v variance.
I just got one from him too and as far as av tested it's good and the wave was smooth.

4 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Xmen149(m): 7:35pm On Apr 27, 2022
Guys,please whom has used Felicity charge controller here,80amps.

Will it pick system voltage first and come on on battery before solar connection.

Or solar and battery must be present(battery first) before it can come on.

Urgent!..anyone? Bcs am beginning to think the supplied device is defective
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by adrusa: 7:49pm On Apr 27, 2022
Xmen149:
Guys,please whom has used Felicity charge controller here,80amps.

Will it pick system voltage first and come on on battery before solar connection.

Or solar and battery must be present(battery first) before it can come on.

Urgent!..anyone? Bcs am beginning to think the supplied device is defective

I'm not sure what you are describing, but the good practice of installing charge controller is to connect the battery first and solar thereafter.
As for Felicity CC, it has this quirk that I later discovered, if there is no solar, the CC sleeps off, no sign of life. You need to tap the button on it for it to come alive. Once you connect the battery, the voltage will be automatically identified. You can then go ahead and do the settings.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by uniqUN(m): 8:38pm On Apr 27, 2022
bbally:

Hello bro, I will suggest you try out new pure sine wave inverter that kiekie just advertised instead of ordering from AliExpress and waiting for 3weeks. it has 2000w(1000w) and 2400w(1200w) in 12/24/48v variance.
I just got one from him too and as far as av tested it's good and the wave was smooth.

Oh wow. I wish you had mentioned it earlier. I already ordered for it. Nevertheless, since you recommend him, I might still get to buy something from him moving forward. Thanks for the reply.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bbally: 8:56pm On Apr 27, 2022
uniqUN:

Oh wow. I wish you had mentioned it earlier. I already ordered for it. Nevertheless, since you recommend him, I might still get to buy something from him moving forward. Thanks for the reply.

No prob baba, just bought from him on Monday and as far as it, everything is in order. I was about to order too before I saw his advert and decided to use my church mind to try it out.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 9:08pm On Apr 27, 2022
NiyiOmoIyunade:

I give the higher balance current to jk, but once cell is initially balanced everything should stay put subsequently. ANT BMS has been a good companion from my end

1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 9:32pm On Apr 27, 2022
bbally:

Thanks for the patronage Sir !
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 10:33pm On Apr 27, 2022
kiekie1:
HURRY GET YOURS NOW!!!

Brand new 1000 watts Pure Sinewave wall mount power inverter.

Feature :
-Pure sinewave output
-Sleek wall mount design
-2000w surge power

Normal Price: 60 - 75k
Flatrate Bonus Price : 40,000

Durable 150 VOC MPPT:
60a 12 - 48v .... 95,000
80a 12 - 48v .... 135,000

One year product warranty "terms & condition applies" .

Contact,
Smartcell global services
CALL:: 081-350-31951
WHATSAPP::: http://.us/w/?c=a46ea5

Limited stock! Quality product!!
Get yours now & join the league of pure sine wave power inverter users ... Distance is never a barrier as usual smiley

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tsiriman(m): 1:30am On Apr 28, 2022
Is Growatt SPF 5000 ES 5kVA inverter a good inverter to use with DIY lifepo4 batteries?

I was considering a victron quattro 48/5000 but I can seem to find any incountry and the price is too high?

Which is the next best thing after Victron to use with lithium batteries? Next best thing.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojeysky(m): 2:37am On Apr 28, 2022
tsiriman:
Is Growatt SPF 5000 ES 5kVA inverter a good inverter to use with DIY lifepo4 batteries?

I was considering a victron quattro 48/5000 but I can seem to find any incountry and the price is too high?

Which is the next best thing after Victron to use with lithium batteries? Next best thing.

Growatt is very good, if you can get Deye that is much better as well.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NpvnStar: 8:38am On Apr 28, 2022
Darediamond and all other Ogas on this space.

Abeg All I need is links from either AliExpress or Alibaba that's worked for you.

Just give me an inverter setup with Batteries for 800W load.

Abeg �

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ajabani4allah(m): 8:42am On Apr 28, 2022
I am planning to get solar panels and CC to charge my 12v 100Ah lifePo4 battery. Pls I need recommendation on the wattage, voltage and current rating of both the panel and the CC and how to connect them
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Equipmentpro: 8:56am On Apr 28, 2022
olopan:
Have you got a range of energy logger with high CT rating ....... interested in price range

Yes we have Energy loggers available,,
For more info on this please visit:
https://www.powerpro.ng/pages/contact-us
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Equipmentpro: 9:08am On Apr 28, 2022
Equipmentpro:
The Fluke digital clamp meter is a workhorse tool for everyday use. These amp clamp meters are designed for noise-free, reliable readings. With advanced performance, the current clamp line is designed to be simple-to-use, grab and go tools, perfect for tight, compact spaces or getting readings from panels that are out of reach or getting around extra-large conductors.
We have all Fluke Clamp meters in stop.

www.powerpro.ng

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by IYGEAL(m): 11:17am On Apr 28, 2022
olopan:
Let's assume your budget no dey shift and again your looking to make your equipments future upgradeable and expandable

1. A 3KVA 24V Hybrid Inverter - @Iygeal has one at dirty cheap price, being a season member, i am sure some months of performance can be guaranteed 180,000 ....... Future expansion compactible

2. 300W solar panels x 4 pieces for basic, 1800W is needed ideally while considering efficiency of solar panels and your loads been active 232,000 ... Or you can try the Tokunbo panels, if you into it. ....... Future expansion compactible

3. Flooded lead 12V 220Ah battery with 2 year warranty (Different varieties abound) - 240,000

At this stage now, you approximately have 48,000 or less

4. Battery rack, Solar PV cables, AC cable (shorter distance <5 yards, roof sealant, aluminum profile, mounting accessories all should finish the balance

5. With no "balance of system" i.e. SPD, circuit breaker, et. cetera needed are not yet considered

6. With a service charge for your installer and transport from your seller to your abode.

IMHO, you will need more than 700k to complete this job, but then again if you can mount or do it all yourself ......... then you save at lot of cash.

BTW a more cheaper option is to swap the inverter to hybrids like schneider electric 1500VA with PWM inbuilt controller, it will free up some cash for you, but it is not really future load expandable but you will at least have power at the needed time which is now.

Thanks for the mention
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by IYGEAL(m): 11:18am On Apr 28, 2022
olopan:
Please if you are seeing this and we spoke sometimes late last year on your solar project in Abuja, i didn't forget you ......... in fact your contact was misplaced when my phone was stolen .......... please try to reach out again

Sorry bro.

Save contacts in email addresses instead of SIM/phone; that way you can always have them in a new phone when you log in.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Xmen149(m): 1:39pm On Apr 28, 2022
adrusa:

I'm not sure what you are describing, but the good practice of installing charge controller is to connect the battery first and solar thereafter.
As for Felicity CC, it has this quirk that I later discovered, if there is no solar, the CC sleeps off, no sign of life. You need to tap the button on it for it to come alive. Once you connect the battery, the voltage will be automatically identified. You can then go ahead and do the settings.

Thanks man I have figured it out.
I think it's a new firmware on the their new devices(like energy saver).

So on your first connection of the battery the cc won't come on until you connect the solar cables,..after it dosnt detect supply from the pannel(say night)it goes off on its own.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by FireTheSun: 4:14pm On Apr 28, 2022
tsiriman:
Hello,

Please what is the best DIY BMS to buy, I have been researching JBD and also Seplos for the 16S 280Ah lifepo4 battery bank I am planning to build.

What has worked for most people here and which is the best to go for?

If we judge by Popularity and spread of use, l think the Daly BMS is the best and most used .

But they can be pricey, which ofcourse, you would expect from a product that have stood the test of time.
I also think they are about the easiest to connect.
A Noob like myself, connected Two units of 200A Daly BMS to 32 St`rings of 280Ah LiFePO4 Cells (16S 2P) and they without any hitch!

But there appears to be cheaper variants of the Daly BMS as well though l will rather use the "original", if l can afford it and that is a personal policy.

Edit: reading later, what @NiyiOmoIyunade wrote and knowing that he does this for as a Business, l will defer to his opinion since l have not used the other variants and his experience will be very valuable in that regard,
so far, l am enjoying both Dalys, without any issue with them

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by FireTheSun: 4:24pm On Apr 28, 2022
JUO:
worked for a while and stopped. Replaced with prag which still works till date

If it was still under Warranty, then it should have been replaced with a new One, depending on what caused it to stop working (I know some damages are not covered by Warranty) and if it was out of Warranty, then repairs should not cost almost close to the price of buying a New one!
It is good to hear that you are eventually sorted after that experience.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tsiriman(m): 8:45pm On Apr 28, 2022
ojeysky:

Growatt is very good, if you can get Deye that is much better as well.

Than you for the suggestion, my batteries are on the way, I'll check for Deye

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by duwdu: 8:48pm On Apr 28, 2022
NiyiOmoIyunade:

Oga Niyi;

This your post, singlehandedly, woke me up from a ~ 18-month(?) slumber of not logging into NL... The post has "forced" me to log in again, just to give my 2 Kobo on the JK BMS! Thanks for outing it here in your usual fat-free writing style. (It's my loss anyway when I sleep on this thread. Ha.)

So guys, my own JK BMS (JK-B2A24S15P) has been flawless. All Oga Niyi wrote about the BMS is factually correct in real life and balanced, so I can add only so much. I may end up fleshing out some points, though.

To start with, the build quality of this thing is superb... what with an all metal, sleek design. It just reels premium.

The idiot proof design of its firmware cum input settings and operations paradigm, is literally a [battery] life saver. For example, the unit automatically estimates and displays the resistance across each balance wire, in real time. In the process, it picks out and highlights any potentially disruptive — even dangerous — resistances across any balance wire and stops further operations, until the danger that threw up the symptom, is sorted.

For those of us who haven't already picked out where this is going, unusual resistance across a balance wire is a sign of trouble for the battery pack as a whole. Among other things, this symptom could mean that the sequential connection of the balance wire is wrong, or it has poor connections, or internal break(s) or is otherwise bad.

Thing is, these resistances are relatively tiny and could be easily missed even during due diligence while building a pack. So, for a BMS to not only estimate and display but actually act on them in real time or at anytime the BMS is on to help avert danger, is a big plus, IMO. It's certainly not a common feature in the top BMSes I know of.

Further as Oga Niyi touched on, the active balancing function in a JK is awesome in its effectiveness and is a joy to behold in operation. Of course it's almost lossless.

Now, some of our folks may say, "but active balancing — lossy or near lossless — is not altogether advantageous to the pack, since it would work all through the charging AND discharging range?" It's nice to be able to state here that on the JK, one can set the point (in the charging/discharging voltage range of the pack,) where balancing commences/stops.

And for me, the design of the passive white-green and active red-blue letterings on a dark background as shown on the UI, is very soothing. The only other interface design that is more so for me, is the shades of blue and gray on Victron Energy gear.

I can't afford those VE gears — not brand new or yet, anyways.

But why would Oga Niyi hold all the aces nau? grin

Of course there are quarks and a learning curve to using the JK in all it's glory. For me, it's all been worth it, and I'll purchase some more.

Sorry for the wordy epistle, my friends, and many thanks to all for the thread!

--------
P34c3

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tsiriman(m): 8:49pm On Apr 28, 2022
FireTheSun:

If we judge by Popularity and spread of use, l think the Daly BMS is the best and most used .

But they can be pricey, which ofcourse, you would expect from a product that have stood the test of time.
I also think they are about the easiest to connect.
A Noob like myself, connected Two units of 200A Daly BMS to 32 St`rings of 280Ah LiFePO4 Cells (16S 2P) and they without any hitch!

But there appears to be cheaper variants of the Daly BMS as well though l will rather use the "original", if l can afford it and that is a personal policy.

Edit: reading later, what @NiyiOmoIyunade wrote and knowing that he does this for as a Business, l will defer to his opinion since l have not used the other variants and his experience will be very valuable in that regard,
so far, l am enjoying both Dalys, without any issue with them

I have heard about all the other BMSs except JK till @NiyiOmoIyunade mentioned it and shared his experience, I have decided to go for JK majorly because of the active balancing.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Fapemz: 7:12am On Apr 29, 2022
felaliveson:
Hello gurus, I’m planning on getting a lithium battery powerbank 500watt inverter with 120,000mah lithium battery inbuilt … i was told it can be charged via 18v 200watt solar panel

My question is that, will it be a good buy Also does it mean a 12v solar panel can not charge it…. Also if I decide to switch my solar panel to lead acid battery with 12v inverter, can the 18v solar panel charge the lead acid 12v battery ?? Reachable via 08065..316307

…….

Buy Lithium battery or keep your money grin....avoid lead acid battery like plague. it is like using Symbian phone when android can serve better plus lead acid are like a drain on the pocket now as most users have to replace their battery every 3 year or less where Lithium can serve you for up to 10years. For your intended need, the Lithium battery will be just fine Sir. I assemble lithium battery as powerbank for laptop and inverter battery for homes and the customer review are amazing to say the least.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Namzy(m): 7:31am On Apr 29, 2022
Fapemz:

Buy Lithium battery or keep your money grin....avoid lead acid battery like plague. it is like using Symbian phone when android can serve better plus lead acid are like a drain on the pocket now as most users have to replace their battery every 3 year or less where Lithium can serve you for up to 10years. For your intended need, the Lithium battery will be just fine Sir. I assemble lithium battery as powerbank for laptop and inverter battery for homes and the customer review are amazing to say the least.
Are you sure lithium ion can last for 10 years?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Fapemz: 7:34am On Apr 29, 2022
Namzy:

Are you sure lithium ion can last for 10 years?

Sure Sir, a good example of that is the INEC Blue Battery that introduce many of us to LiFePo4 Battery. Some are still using them till date. They were imported for INEC voters registration of 2010 if memory serves me right!

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Namzy(m): 8:19am On Apr 29, 2022
Fapemz:

Sure Sir, a good example of that is the INEC Blue Battery that introduce many of us to LiFePo4 Battery. Some are still using them till date. They were imported for INEC voters registration of 2010 if memory serves me right!
I know but I meant lithium ion not LIFEPo4

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by MJ01: 10:19am On Apr 29, 2022
IYGEAL:

Still up for grabs

Contact details?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kola42: 11:19am On Apr 29, 2022
How much for 100 and 200ah?
Fapemz:

(1) (2) (3) ... (1163) (1164) (1165) (1166) (1167) (1168) (1169) ... (1692) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: TechGeek777, S4SOLOMON4(m), emmaniche and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.