Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,448 members, 7,816,036 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:11 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (1285) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2057008 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1282) (1283) (1284) (1285) (1286) (1287) (1288) ... (1690) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 11:31am On Oct 28, 2022
That there is a classic backfeed situation - you have been lucky so far that your inverter has some protection built in, regardless it may not survive repeated abuse.

The 'changeover' concept only speaks to the source of energy supply not the loads themselves. Ideally the sequence you want is Mains/Gen going into inverter input for charging then inverter output going into inverter loads to power them - necessarily your inverter loads must have been separated from your main DB loads. This is the scenario where you get uninterrupted/no break power supply to your inverter loads.

If you want to make the sequence either one of Mains or Gen or Inverter feeding all loads then you would need at least two changeovers and an isolated charging source for the inverter (to avoid backfeeds)

With your questions it is not certain you have indeed employed a qualified person to help you get this done as such a person would have supported you with various options and configs to get things done safely.

Drgreatone:
If i wasnt seperating any load for the inverter, is it possible to put a knife switch between the output from the changeover and the output from the inverter with the knifeswitch output goin into the mains? The charging point for the inverter would still come from where it is.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by haslaw(m): 4:22pm On Oct 28, 2022
Good evening gurus,

Please does anyone have or know where I can get any good 80A MPPT or 100A MPPT Charge Controller.

My location is Kaduna and Abuja
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Valto(m): 4:47pm On Oct 28, 2022
haslaw:
Good evening gurus,

Please does anyone have or know where I can get any good 80A MPPT or 100A MPPT Charge Controller.

My location is Kaduna and Abuja
order 80A fangupsun from @ JUO.. www.nairaland.com/JUO

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by luvlyoracle(m): 10:28pm On Oct 28, 2022
Soccer power 24v 1.5kva inverter available for sale

65k only
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by toyeoye(m): 5:18am On Oct 29, 2022
Good morning good people... I finalised the 24v setup and so far so good. I was trying to test the limits after the initial full charge and hooking it up so I switched off NEPA and was relying only on the solar and batteries.

I usually turn everything off at night leaving only the refrigerator, fence lights on 18watts (10) and CCTV (8 )

Last night I forgot to turn off the flood lights, these popular AKT 50watts (4) and I heard the inverter beep (low battery) for the first time.

I switched on NEPA to charge the inverter, turned off the flood lights and everything went back to normal.

Question is, what is the best way to maintain a healthy balance between nepa and this set-up?
Longevity is the goal.

I truly appreciate your inputs.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Valto(m): 8:16am On Oct 29, 2022
toyeoye:
Good morning good people... I finalised the 24v setup and so far so good. I was trying to test the limits after the initial full charge and hooking it up so I switched off NEPA and was relying only on the solar and batteries.

I usually turn everything off at night leaving only the refrigerator, fence lights on 18watts (10) and CCTV (8 )

Last night I forgot to turn off the flood lights, these popular AKT 50watts (4) and I heard the inverter beep (low battery) for the first time.

I switched on NEPA to charge the inverter, turned off the flood lights and everything went back to normal.

Question is, what is the best way to maintain a healthy balance between nepa and this set-up?
Longevity is the goal.

that is approximately about 600w overnight load, on a 24v system.
u should state the battery capacity though, so we know how to advice on.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 8:28am On Oct 29, 2022
You need to run an Energy Storage System with some battery self consumption built in.

Properly designed for your scenario an ESS system during day time prioritises usage of solar energy first, then battery energy next then grid last - the grid is essentially like a tap that can be opened up for faster rate of flow when solar is insufficient for the loads and closed down to trickles for a much slower rate of flow when solar is sufficient.

From sundown the system moves into self consumption mode and uses a predetermined % of battery to power the loads e.g drain battery from 100% SoC to 40% SoC and then default back to full grid usage - if grid fails the system will drain the batteries until 20% (user determined) and then auto start the Gen and run it for X hours or until battery SoC reaches X% (all user determined). If no Gen available to take up the energy insufficiency then lights out and the household will need to do manual intervention to restore power else the system does all I have described automatically.

You get a very robust and super flexible and configurable ESS system with super fine control with Victron equipment. You get something of ESS like behaviour with the Deyes, MPPs, Growatts and Axpert type inverters that have Solar and Battery priority features. You can also simulate ESS like behaviour with a mix of timer switches and battery voltage sensing relays or Battery Monitors energising/denergising a contactor to allow or disallow the grid supply - this is a crude method to use but can be made to work.

The key advantage of the Victron ESS implementation is the ability to finely control the grid usage like a tap - dynamically allowing more grid usage in case of solar insufficiency and less grid usage when solar is sufficient. One can even layer on a host of other assistants to allow more flexibility for your specific desires.

See below a screen grabs from two different ESS systems this morning.

Notice how all available solar energy and restricted/throttled grid are being used to power the AC loads simultaneously and any excess energy goes into battery charging and deficits discharge the battery.

toyeoye:

Longevity is the goal.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by toyeoye(m): 9:06am On Oct 29, 2022
NiyiOmoIyunade:
You need to run an Energy Storage System with some battery self consumption built in.

Properly designed for your scenario an ESS system during day time prioritises usage of solar energy first, then battery energy next then grid last - the grid is essentially like a tap that can be opened up for faster rate of flow when solar is insufficient for the loads and closed down to trickles for a much slower rate of flow when solar is sufficient.

From sundown the system moves into self consumption mode and uses a predetermined % of battery to power the loads e.g drain battery from 100% SoC to 40% SoC and then default back to full grid usage - if grid fails the system will drain the batteries until 20% (user determined) and then auto start the Gen and run it for X hours or until battery SoC reaches X% (all user determined). If no Gen available to take up the energy insufficiency then lights out and the household will need to do manual intervention to restore power else the system does all I have described automatically.

You get a very robust and super flexible and configurable ESS system with super fine control with Victron equipment. You get something of ESS like behaviour with the Deyes, MPPs, Growatts and Axpert type inverters that have Solar and Battery priority features. You can also simulate ESS like behaviour with a mix of timer switches and battery voltage sensing relays or Battery Monitors energising/denergising a contactor to allow or disallow the grid supply - this is a crude method to use but can be made to work.

The key advantage of the Victron ESS implementation is the ability to finely control the grid usage like a tap - dynamically allowing more grid usage in case of solar insufficiency and less grid usage when solar is sufficient. One can even layer on a host of other assistants to allow more flexibility for your specific desires.

See below a screen grabs from two different ESS systems this morning.

Notice how all available solar energy and restricted/throttled grid are being used to power the AC loads simultaneously and any excess energy goes into battery charging and deficits discharge the battery.

Thanks for the information. How can I get the ESS? How much? Please drop more info, I'm interested to know more.
In the mean time, you have not suggested how to balance the setup to rely less on nepa. I mean should it be left on auto meaning nepa is default and solar is backup when nepa seizes power? or I use solar during the day and auto at night? whats the best scenario?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by toyeoye(m): 9:08am On Oct 29, 2022
Valto:
that is appropriately about 600w overnight load, on a 24v system.
u should state the battery capacity though, so we know how to advice on.

Sure bro, I have six 220ah tubular batteries
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 10:42am On Oct 29, 2022
Choiiiii!!!! After all the turenchy I thought I spoke.

Your available options depends on the capabilities of your equipment - I gave an ideal case with all Victron equipment, a middle case with Hybrid inverters like Deyes, Axpert clones etc and a self created option using a combo of battery sensing relays, timers and contactors.

What kind of inverter(s) and charge controller(s) do you use?

toyeoye:

Thanks for the information. How can I get the ESS? How much? Please drop more info, I'm interested to know more.
In the mean time, you have not suggested how to balance the setup to rely less on nepa. I mean should it be left on auto meaning nepa is default and solar is backup when nepa seizes power? or I use solar during the day and auto at night? whats the best scenario?

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by alhasanalo: 11:16am On Oct 29, 2022
Good day house, please call me if you have this available.its from Felicity street light
0 8 1 2 6 5 5 6 0 0 6

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Valto(m): 11:22am On Oct 29, 2022
toyeoye:

Sure bro, I have six 220ah tubular batteries
chaii, after all the advice here, u still went ahead with this very wrong design. 6 tubular batteries on a 24v system. anyway the elders are coming to advise you.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by toyeoye(m): 12:44pm On Oct 29, 2022
Valto:
chaii, after all the advice here, u still went ahead with this very wrong design. 6 tubular batteries on a 24v system. anyway the elders are coming to advise you.

Be specific now! which advice are you talking about? No problem if you no get comments...I hope the elders pull through.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by toyeoye(m): 12:58pm On Oct 29, 2022
NiyiOmoIyunade:
Choiiiii!!!! After all the turenchy I thought I spoke.

Your available options depends on the capabilities of your equipment - I gave an ideal case with all Victron equipment, a middle case with Hybrid inverters like Deyes, Axpert clones etc and a self created option using a combo of battery sensing relays, timers and contactors.

What kind of inverter(s) and charge controller(s) do you use?

Maybe your turenchi was too much lol.
You still didn't give me information on how to get the solution you mention and the cost of purchase and installation (I assume you deal in vicrton products).
What I'm saying is that in the absence of the ideal scenario you paint, what can be done to maintain balance with the present setup?
I have a 5kva inverter (I think its Famicare) a 100a mppt (Yohako) charge controller, trina mono panels 300w (12)
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by gonkin(m): 1:54pm On Oct 29, 2022
haslaw:
Good evening gurus,

Pls I need advice. I have 6 units of 350Watt solar panels and I want to cut down my NEPA electricity bills buy buying this timer switch (from Aliexpress) to allow some selected loads like deep freezer and fridge come on only during the daytime

1) Is this a good idea or are there better ways of cutting down my electricity bills
2) Are these Chinese timer switches safe and reliable or are there better versions of such timer switches

Thanks

They are very reliable. The timer/clock on mine can stay ON of a month cuz it has a built-in battery and u dint have to reprogram due to memory loss. Ive been using mine for 2 years plus now as a light switch. Especially when im at work. As for rating, go for one with at least 50A for fridge. Works great for lighting, fans definitely not advisable for water heaters.

Heres mine

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by isangjohnson: 5:28pm On Oct 29, 2022
[quote author=toyeoye

From what you've said sir, your loads should be about 600w or thereabouts and I don't know why your fully charged battery bank can't power these loads (about 6.6kwh) for 11hrs.
Again, your CC isn't all that effective.... Sorry to say this.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by toyeoye(m): 5:51pm On Oct 29, 2022
isangjohnson:
[quote author=toyeoye

From what you've said sir, your loads should be about 600w or thereabouts and I don't know why your fully charged battery bank can't power these loads (about 6.6kwh) for 11hrs.
Again, your CC isn't all that effective.... Sorry to say this.

Thanks for the feedback brother, I appreciate. You might be right about the CC. I also think I stretched the limit a bit too thin because I was on solar power only for about a week until that happened.
Will change strategy to better maximize my usage and still rely less on NEPA.
Thanks again.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Nomyth: 5:59pm On Oct 29, 2022
Hello house.

Is there a work around for all these Sun King and Dlight solar systems that allows the use of electricity for charging them when it is cloudy?

You know they only come with the solar charging option.

I'm thinking of buying a charger to charge when electricity is available.

Does this work?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Penuelseun(m): 8:11pm On Oct 29, 2022
Nomyth:
Hello house.

Is there a work around for all these Sun King and Dlight solar systems that allows the use of electricity for charging them when it is cloudy?

You know they only come with the solar charging option.

I'm thinking of buying a charger to charge when electricity is available.

Does this work?

it should work if you can get a charger that fits the voltage and current range of the solar panel

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by haslaw(m): 8:22pm On Oct 29, 2022
gonkin:

They are very reliable. The timer/clock on mine can stay ON of a month cuz it has a built-in battery and u dint have to reprogram due to memory loss. Ive been using mine for 2 years plus now as a light switch. Especially when im at work. As for rating, go for one with at least 50A for fridge. Works great for lighting, fans definitely not advisable for water heaters.

Heres mine

Thanks so much for this information. I really appreciate it
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by haslaw(m): 9:48pm On Oct 29, 2022
Good evening gurus,

I have been looking for a good MPPT Charge controller and I came across this on AliExpress with the following parameters

Is this a good MPPT Charge controller as I am thinking of buying it but I need advice from the experts in the house.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by EPOMA(m): 10:17pm On Oct 29, 2022
toyeoye:

Maybe your turenchi was too much lol.
You still didn't give me information on how to get the solution you mention and the cost of purchase and installation (I assume you deal in vicrton products).
What I'm saying is that in the absence of the ideal scenario you paint, what can be done to maintain balance with the present setup?
I have a 5kva inverter (I think its Famicare) a 100a mppt (Yohako) charge controller, trina mono panels 300w (12)

Try and Use good CC please, not need to waste precious money on junk , if you had money to buy 6 Tabular , you should have gone for Lithuim.
Some of this products should be banned from Nigeria sef

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by toyeoye(m): 10:47pm On Oct 29, 2022
EPOMA:

Try and Use good CC please, not need to waste precious money on junk , if you had money to buy 6 Tabular , you should have gone for Lithuim.

Very insightful, thanks for dropping your comment
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Valto(m): 12:45am On Oct 30, 2022
EPOMA:

grin grin. the matter tire me, upon all the advise dished to him here, he still went ahead with the quote of the outdated installer. 24v 5kw famicare, with 6 túbular, 100A yohako CC and 2nd tier Trina alaba panels. who does that
even a 48v sorotec 5kva hybrid inverter with 100A mppt and 8pcs of yingli 450w and 48v real capacity 230ah/200ah lithium battery, will out perform. kiss

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by samnaija: 1:56am On Oct 30, 2022
toyeoye:

Longevity is the goal.

You are pushing your system to know it's weakness, that is how you will eventually have a better system.

First and foremost 48v system is more reliable than 24v system. If the system is new add extra battery to make it 48v.

Fence light and flood lights, all on why?
To avoid issues with security lights , I got the solar security light . They are even brighter and they are timed to come on , at sun down. They become dim when there is no movement around your compound, but bright once it senses movement.

Your fridge, whether it is a low energy consumption or high is a big no for 24hrs use.
Personally I will go for a deep freezer low consumption, use through out the day, on solar, switch it off by 5 or 6pm.
The chill within the freezer can carry you to next day you continue story .
I got rid of my big fridge, when I noticed issues.
In renewable energy, live like a king when the sun is up, avoid unnecessary load at night.
Also change your charge controller.

8 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by toyeoye(m): 5:09am On Oct 30, 2022
samnaija:

You are pushing your system to know it's weakness, that is how you will eventually have a better system.

First and foremost 48v system is more reliable than 24v system. If the system is new add extra battery to make it 48v.

Fence light and flood lights, all on why?
To avoid issues with security lights , I got the solar security light . They are even brighter and they are timed to come on , at sun down. They become dim when there is no movement around your compound, but bright once it senses movement.

Your fridge, whether it is a low energy consumption or high is a big no for 24hrs use.
Personally I will go for a deep freezer low consumption, use through out the day, on solar, switch it off by 5 or 6pm.
The chill within the freezer can carry you to next day you continue story .
I got rid of my big fridge, when I noticed issues.
In renewable energy, live like a king when the sun is up, avoid unnecessary load at night.
Also change your charge controller.

Brilliant! Thanks for the feedback, I will make some of these changes. What brand of charge controller should I get? God bless
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by toyeoye(m): 5:19am On Oct 30, 2022
Valto:
grin grin. the matter tire me, upon all the advise dished to him here, he still went ahead with the quote of the outdated installer. 24v 5kw famicare, with 6 túbular, 100A yohako CC and 2nd tier Trina alaba panels. who does that
even a 48v sorotec 5kva hybrid inverter with 100A mppt and 8pcs of yingli 450w and 48v real capacity 230ah/200ah lithium battery, will out perform. kiss

Thanks bro but what are you tired? Lol... a little bit late to be crying over spilt milk no? I'd be very fine! thanks for your comments.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by samnaija: 5:44am On Oct 30, 2022
toyeoye:

Brilliant! Thanks for the feedback, I will make some of these changes. What brand of charge controller should I get? God bless

Charge controller if cash dey Fangpuson, epever.

Budget friendly makeskyblue .
You are welcome.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by toyeoye(m): 5:58am On Oct 30, 2022
samnaija:

Charge controller if cash dey Fangpuson, epever.

Budget friendly makeskyblue .
You are welcome.

Noted! Many thanks, again!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Namzy(m): 7:10am On Oct 30, 2022
toyeoye:

Noted! Many thanks, again!

I don't think the yohako CC is bad. That is if it's really mppt. Infact I prefer it to makeskyblue. The major mistake you made is buying a 5kw 24v instead of 48v. Hope your cables are minimum 35mm2 or higher? Get solar flood lights that charge and come on @ night. You can monitor your CC and know the highest watts you have gotten from your installed panel capacity before changing your SCC.
Famicare really suprised me,as their 3.5kva 24v my bro bought has an idle consumption of 18 watts! Which is even better than my axpert 3kva. Also its power factor is about 0.95 (yea we measured) an impressive feat considering most Indian low freq inveter are pf 0.8.

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Deluxe8000(m): 7:42am On Oct 30, 2022
Deluxe8000:
Pls house, any experience on this pressing iron? I intend using it with my modified inverter.
No response yet or any suggestion. Pls any advice before taking wrong step.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by cluewebhost(m): 7:50am On Oct 30, 2022
Deluxe8000:

No response yet or any suggestion. Pls any advice before taking wrong step.

I won't iron with any type of inverter.

Except I have a lot of batteries

(1) (2) (3) ... (1282) (1283) (1284) (1285) (1286) (1287) (1288) ... (1690) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.