Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,446 members, 7,826,717 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 07:07 PM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (1282) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2083999 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1279) (1280) (1281) (1282) (1283) (1284) (1285) ... (1705) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by crestedaguiyi: 11:35am On Oct 20, 2022
hello guys, its my first time on this thread.

is there anything like 20-30KVA solar system.

its needed for an office with about 30 computers and 30 cooling systems in each office

reach me on 08033033683

PH in the location for installation
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Valto(m): 11:48am On Oct 20, 2022
crestedaguiyi:
hello guys, its my first time on this thread.

is there anything like 20-30KVA solar system.

its needed for an office with about 30 computers and 30 cooling systems in each office

reach me on 08033033683

PH in the location for installation
hmm. a big project, would cost atleast 40m upwards.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by crestedaguiyi: 11:52am On Oct 20, 2022
Valto:

how about 10kva
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by crestedaguiyi: 11:57am On Oct 20, 2022
Valto:

how many KVA can 5m get
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by somebody02: 12:21pm On Oct 20, 2022
somebody02:
I need this type of charger or something better.
Anyone who has for sale should please quote me.

Thanks.

I need this, please.
Anyone
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Valto(m): 12:26pm On Oct 20, 2022
somebody02:

I need this, please.
Anyone
u can easily get that from sellers at jiji
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Sapiosexuality(m): 12:50pm On Oct 20, 2022
NiyiOmoIyunade:
So far as available in the local market, Amaron Quanta only have AGM and Flooded batteries (these are lead acid)

Lithium (LFP) cells you are looking at brands live EVE, REPT, CATL which you have to ship from China and usually setup into a battery pack yourself. You can also buy prefab/ready to use battery packs but good names cost a ton and el cheapos usually have capacity overstated.

Since this project is a DIY and learning opportunity for you, you may wish to go back in the thread and catchup on the wealth of information already posted over time.

The first part of this post confused me. grin. I tried reading but it was 2013 and I'm wondering if the information is still valid and has not changed. So I started from July but I didn't really get the basics. Is the information from 2013 still legit?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Sapiosexuality(m): 12:53pm On Oct 20, 2022
samir101ng:

1. Personally, i like buying my stuff online directly. AliExpress is a good online marketplace that ship your items directly to the nearest post office in your area. If your lucky, they might use Speedaf couriers for faster delivery. However, you can search on Jumia & Kongo for the brand name of Suoer for the inverter range i shared with you. I saw some sellers selling it there- during a recent search. Too many fakes in the nigerian market. You can buy an inverter and mppt direct from there but you will have to pay with a dollar card at black market rates. You also run the risk of being asked to pay duty on those items by NIPOST. But even at that, i prefer that unless i have a decent alternative. Oga Valto has a decent range of inverters he sells. Oga Odimbandi sells Powmr charge controller also.

2. Your budget will decide a lot of things and is a big variable in the type of things you can buy. Personally, i recommend a 24v system which is two 12v batteries in series. Now for the batteries, dem plenty for market with different characteristics. But though more expensive i prefer AGM batteries which are sealed and maintenance free even though GEL/tubular batteries can also do the job but my problem is they vent gas and so you don't install them indoors. Quanta & Ritar are the name brands of two AGM battery manufacturers. Luminous & Eastmann also manufacture and sell GEL/tubular batteries. If you want to do LifeP04, unless you want to DIY your better off buying a coupled system from someone. Again grin, check Valto's post and other sellers on the options they have. But do your own due diligence also.

3. The 450W Yingli panels are monocrystaline and budget friendly compared to other brands. Buying cheap chinese knock off panels will not give you decent yields from your solar setup. As suggested by Oga Valto, you might need to increase the panels to 4 if your going for a 24v system.

4. I am not an installer so i can't comment on the type or brand of cable you need. But just make sure that the correct size of wire is used and that it is original copper that's used.
Very well noted. This is good. I'm grateful.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Sapiosexuality(m): 12:54pm On Oct 20, 2022
Jefferyzz:
Surge protector
I forgot to mention charge controller too.. like 40a Felicity... 60k or buy 60a powmr 65k
The surge protector is for thunder, right? It seems I have to go through the page very well to note down all the solar jargon.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Obnoxious2001(m): 2:14pm On Oct 20, 2022
crestedaguiyi:

how many KVA can 5m get
Around 7.5kva system
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by jiday4(m): 2:30pm On Oct 20, 2022
Sapiosexuality:
The surge protector is for thunder, right? It seems I have to go through the page very well to note down all the solar jargon.

You might want to check the Icellpower inverter 1.5kva 12v. I just got one from their office yesterday and the price is reasonable.

We are both in same shoes but am gathering materials gradually. Naira is not smiling at all
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Sapiosexuality(m): 2:57pm On Oct 20, 2022
jiday4:

You might want to check the Icellpower inverter 1.5kva 12v. I just got one from their office yesterday and the price is reasonable.

We are both in same shoes but am gathering materials gradually. Naira is not smiling at all
That's nice. How much did you get it and is there an online or physical store?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by jiday4(m): 3:03pm On Oct 20, 2022
Sapiosexuality:
That's nice. How much did you get it and is there an online or physical store?

Yes they have online store. Though I paid to their account and went their to show evidence of payment. If you are living far they can waybill to you. Google Icellpower or better still
https://icellpower.com.ng/product/1-5kva-12v-inverter-icellpower/#1611514184842-d2bd4a3c-43c9
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by crestedaguiyi: 3:15pm On Oct 20, 2022
Obnoxious2001:

Around 7.5kva system

how many systems and air conditioner can that carry pls. Its for office use
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Sapiosexuality(m): 3:19pm On Oct 20, 2022
jiday4:

Yes they have online store. Though I paid to their account and went their to show evidence of payment. If you are living far they can waybill to you. Google Icellpower or better still
https://icellpower.com.ng/product/1-5kva-12v-inverter-icellpower/#1611514184842-d2bd4a3c-43c9
Thank you. I will check them out.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by somebody02: 4:15pm On Oct 20, 2022
Valto:
u can easily get that from sellers at jiji
Okay thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Sapiosexuality(m): 4:17pm On Oct 20, 2022
jiday4:

Just want to ask, will this 1.5kva be okay if the goal is to do 24 hours?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by jiday4(m): 4:36pm On Oct 20, 2022
Sapiosexuality:
Just want to ask, will this 1.5kva be okay if the goal is to do 24 hours?

I believe your battery bank and solar panel will do the job, the question now is how many solar panels and batteries with charge controllers do you need?
Am not an installer but DIY too but am sure the gurus will put you through

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dollarnaira: 5:01pm On Oct 20, 2022
jiday4:

I believe your battery bank and solar panel will do the job, the question now is how many solar panels and batteries with charge controllers do you need?
Am not an installer but DIY too but am sure the gurus will put you through

So u have been as silent member abi. grin
How u dey?
It has been a while.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by jiday4(m): 5:28pm On Oct 20, 2022
dollarnaira:

So u have been as silent member abi. grin
How u dey?
It has been a while.

Yes ooo my brother, learning from gurus like you.

Am fine sir, how you too?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Obnoxious2001(m): 5:49pm On Oct 20, 2022
crestedaguiyi:

how many systems and air conditioner can that carry pls. Its for office use

Around 10 laptops and 4 A/C assuming they are 1hp
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dollarnaira: 6:47pm On Oct 20, 2022
jiday4:

Yes ooo my brother, learning from gurus like you.

Am fine sir, how you too?
Guru kwa
Not bad

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 10:49pm On Oct 20, 2022
samir101ng:

Hehehe grin grin grin E dey enter your eye abi. Morning Star dey chook your eye abi. @Zeestone1 we have a propective convert o ! grin

I faced this same issue early in my research. Morning Star has now added all the other bells and whistles you might need to their refreshed charge controller lines and now have expanded their inverter range. My only issue with their inverter range is the lack of a 5kva 48v product. Their 48v inverter range tops out at 2.5kva which is a little too small for my energy needs. The Solax X1 G4 Hybrid inverter is topping my list right now. And a Morning Star setup of inverter and charge controller is going to be too expensive in my opinion for the 2.5kva inverter power you will be getting. Of course the GenStar 100amp charge controller is going to be a solid investment for those with large battery banks with brand agnostic inverters.

E b like we go sell ticket for all Dem new converts. Hw mch mk we put the ticket. grin
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 10:53pm On Oct 20, 2022
samir101ng:

I place Hyundai in the same category of products from manufacturers like LG, Sunpower, Panasonic, REC.

Premium solar panels with high efficiency but at a COST. Do they even have a reseller here in Nigeria ? I believe you will have to import them directly per crate which will come at another premium. For now sha, my top 2 panels in Nigeria Jinko Solar (Palette) and Trina Solar (solarpoweretal) who both have authrorised dealers in the country and sell panels above 500W in capacity. They are also both rater Tier 1 with high efficiencies above the 21% range.
We always get premium solar panels from time to time. I really don't post much cos they really go out of stock in a short while.
For now we have Qcells 340watts and 365watts brand new. Limited quantity
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Gr8teejay: 4:35am On Oct 21, 2022
Obnoxious2001:

Oh.
You can get a sachet inverter it's around 15k.
It should serve you.

Just curious, where did you purchase the 40ah battery
Thanks alot. I purchased it two years ago in January 2020 at a local shop in Owerri. It's a GBM battery
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by adrusa: 4:47pm On Oct 21, 2022
zeestone99:

E b like we go sell ticket for all Dem new converts. Hw mch mk we put the ticket. grin

I had a sad experience with the Morningstar MPPT Charge Controller. Two got destroyed in my early solar years because of battery disconnect issue. I swore for them since then. They appear to be the only one with that problem since I never had that issue with any other charge controller.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by SolnergyPower: 5:47pm On Oct 21, 2022
For Sale:

3kVA, 24V Zinox Inverter for sale.

It has never been used, though carton is bad.

Price: 110k.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 6:00pm On Oct 21, 2022
I strongly believe you had a 24v nominal system at this time? This would mean relatively high amps passing through the CC - any amps above the CC's clamp current rating and the battery disconnects for any reason (operator error, el cheapo breaker randomly tripping under load) the CC goes kaput immediately.

Truly the Morningstars are designed for industrial situations with heavy duty DC breakers that will not nuisance trip - someone here suggested a work around - use of a double pole breaker where you pass positive PV through one pole and positive battery through the other - if the breaker ever trips, both PV and CC disconnect together, a second breaker can be used for the actual PV disconnect.

Another way is to use a DC contactor (such as used for BMS ) with the contactor coil powered off battery voltage whereas the PV passes through the contactor's main contacts (common and Normally Open) any loss of battery immediately disconnects the PV too.

Finally I think MorningStar made firmware updates to help this problem - by now they may have upgraded their component spec to deal with such an issue.

adrusa:

I had a sad experience with the Morningstar MPPT Charge Controller. Two got destroyed in my early solar years because of battery disconnect issue. I swore for them since then. They appear to be the only one with that problem since I never had that issue with any other charge controller.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by samir101ng(m): 6:19pm On Oct 21, 2022
NiyiOmoIyunade:
I strongly believe you had a 24v nominal system at this time? This would mean relatively high amps passing through the CC - any amps above the CC's clamp current rating and the battery disconnects for any reason (operator error, el cheapo breaker randomly tripping under load) the CC goes kaput immediately.

Truly the Morningstars are designed for industrial situations with heavy duty DC breakers that will not nuisance trip - someone here suggested a work around - use of a double pole breaker where you pass positive PV through one pole and positive battery through the other - if the breaker ever trips, both PV and CC disconnect together, a second breaker can be used for the actual PV disconnect.

Another way is to use a DC contactor (such as used for BMS ) with the contactor coil powered off battery voltage whereas the PV passes through the contactor's main contacts (common and Normally Open) any loss of battery immediately disconnects the PV too.

Finally I think MorningStar made firmware updates to help this problem - by now they may have upgraded their component spec to deal with such an issue.

https://community.morningstarcorp.com/solar-charge-controllers/post/high-voltage-disconnect-hvd-and-battery-management-system-bms-LE9tzamr9tZKuob

Here's a link to a community post on their forums on the topic. There's a good comment there regarding lead acid batteries. I have found out that a lot of times following the instructions regarding the specs of a product saves a lot of headaches in the long run. That and proper installation according to those specs is key to getting your product to last long. Morning Stars have a high tolerance but even they are not bullet proof if not used correctly or installed.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by adrusa: 9:01pm On Oct 21, 2022
NiyiOmoIyunade:

True, I was using a 24V system at the time. Never realised that system voltage had a role to play in what was a major calamity.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DamianX: 4:19am On Oct 22, 2022
samir101ng:

You will have to do an energy audit of all the things you want to power. Check the rated power draw on the power supply and total it up times the number of hours you want to run them for. The figure you get will determine the system setup you will need. Do you intend to get a setup with charging from solar panels or do you want to charge from the grid alone ? Also for your budget LifeP04 or Lead Acid ? Since there are no major loads for you to run, a basic 3.5kva 24v system should be enough to do the job. If you add a 24v 280ah LifeP04 battery pack, you should be golden.
Alright thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by AshipaEk0: 10:25am On Oct 22, 2022
Please recommend a setup design for me.

Beginner.

Solar Panels may not be possible this time (due to location and cost) but would prefer a system where adding panels would be easy later.

Max Load:

Lights = 150 watts total (all won't be on at once)

Fans: 60W x 3 = 180 W total (not all at once)

1 HP Split AC (TUNDRA) = can't find rating. Spec sheet says 5.7A Max

1 TV. = 120 W Max

1 Decoders, 1 TV Box = 30 Watts

1 Laptop. = 65 Watts

Obligatory phones charging

1 Deep Freezer ***** ( I think this will only run at daytime if I install solar)

Major requirement:
Power AC and 2 security lights only through the night. 9 hours

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (1279) (1280) (1281) (1282) (1283) (1284) (1285) ... (1705) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: litaninja(m), Chikach, isnigeriadead and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.