Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,083 members, 7,818,240 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:59 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (1579) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2063964 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1576) (1577) (1578) (1579) (1580) (1581) (1582) ... (1694) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Mojavee: 2:00pm On Feb 16
This is Similar to my ongoing current solar situation.

The solar Engineer has already helped me get a New 2 (VACUNA) tubular battery. 220ah
I plan on running it with a 3.5va Inverter This has also been purchased by him

I had told him I would be getting the solar panels myself because the prices he gave on the quotation is actualy on the higher side. He suggested I purchase 12 solar panels (350waats/400watts),

Due to the fact that I said i would be running it with a chest freezer.

I am on the search for solar new solar pannels that would serve me

Are they anyone solar pannel brand you could recommend?

Or do you have relaible solar panel dealer

Thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Jefferyzz(m): 2:25pm On Feb 16
Buy original 550w jinko. 6 pieces is ok for ur 2.8kw setup. I hope u know there limit to the amount of current u can pull from ur tubular batteries so u don end up with a tired battery after just 1yr of use
U can buy from trusted distributor n sellers. Just don't buy anywhere
Mojavee:

The solar Engineer has already helped me get a New 2 (VACUNA) tubular battery. 220ah

I had told him I would be getting the solar panels myself because the prices he gave on the quotation is actualy on the higher side. He suggested I purchase 12 solar panels (350waats/400watts),

Thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Mojavee: 2:33pm On Feb 16
Jefferyzz:
Buy original 550w jinko. 6 pieces is ok for ur 2.8kw setup. I hope u know there limit to the amount of current u can pull from ur tubular batteries so u don end up with a tired battery after just 1yr of use
U can buy from trusted distributor n sellers. Just don't buy anywhere

How do i get a trusted distributor/seller.
I'm based in Lagos
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bassdow: 3:01pm On Feb 16
[quote author=Mojavee post=128484969][/quote]

Do you mean recommend a Solar panel brand or what exactly ?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bassdow: 3:05pm On Feb 16
Mojavee:

I'm based in Lagos

See eh, it's almost very difficult getting anyOne trusted. Even when you get the Trusted ones (very few importers), the prices they would quote would drive you away.

na when problem start we dey begin complain.

But there are lots of them in ojo-Alaba Lagos, & Arena @ Oshodi Lagos.

But all in all, you need have idea or rely on an installer that wouldn't eat your money so much it ends up affecting the job
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bassdow: 3:10pm On Feb 16
Mojavee:

Thanks

If you're in Lagos, Go to Arean @ oshodi Lagos, or Ojo Alaba also in Lagos.

There are both Genuine & anyHow dealers in those places. Forget about all those specifiic brands. Something like sunPower and the likes are more than enough for you.

Also, would suggest you go for the 12pcs your engineer suggested for you.

Don't forget, whenever you're buying more panels than capacity of your batteries, abeg, always go for MPPT charge Controller because PWM go dey do subtraction for you, instead of taking advantage of the extra excess power generated

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Mojavee: 3:18pm On Feb 16
bassdow:

Thanks for the response,

A charge controller was also included in the quotation he gave me.

Which I have paid him to get.

I would look into sunpower brands as you have suggested.

The jinko panels looks to be on the higher side. And they only have 435watts and above

I would be looking to by 12 of them if i am able to get them new.

-----------

There are both Genuine & anyHow dealers in those places. Forget about all those specifiic brands. Something like sunPower and the likes are more than enough for you.

Also, would suggest you go for the 12pcs your engineer suggested for you.

Don't forget, whenever you're buying more panels than capacity of your batteries, abeg, always go for MPPT charge Controller because PWM go dey do subtraction for you, instead of taking advantage of the extra excess power generated
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bassdow: 3:43pm On Feb 16
[quote author=Mojavee post=128486642][/quote]

You didn't specify if the charge Controller is of type MPPT or PWM. That's very important hence reason I suggested MPPT, especially for the capacity you're going for.

In other words, let the charge Controller be MPPT, and not PWM
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Drgreatone: 4:36pm On Feb 16
mvphenryeto5:

.bro can this inverter work on 12v setup
Ensure its the 12v version and not 24
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Drgreatone: 4:41pm On Feb 16
Jefferyzz:
If ur system is 24v up. Just buy 400w upwards jinko from fouani, gennex or other trusted suppliers on this platform and get an mppt to it. If ure using 12v get new 180/190w panels, that's with 18v 10a ratting on their sticker n get pwm CC.
But when he wants to upgrade later, u know the 180w panels and to some extent the pwm would become useless. In solar, u always want to prepare for the future in terms of expansion. I'd suggest he gets his 300w panels and a 60amp mppt charger if money isnt a problem. All he has to do later to upgrade would be adding panels +/- battery upgrade while still making use of the mppt.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Drgreatone: 4:42pm On Feb 16
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Drgreatone: 4:53pm On Feb 16
Mojavee:

Thanks
Curious, whats the lower consumption of ur chest freezer, it it the old school own?
Is the 3.5kva inverter standalone or hybrid?
Unless u using lithium which can tolerate high charging current, I feel using 12 350/400watt panels is an overkill unless of course you have other heavy loads u plan on putting on the inverter also that u didn't mention?
At 40% efficiency, u wud be getting abt 2kw/hr from the panels with good sun and max u can send to ur tubular batteries is abt 500 to 600watts/hr for charging. Just my little knowledge. The experts can add or discredit this

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by ojesymsym: 5:36pm On Feb 16
Please do you or anybody has a sure contact of some that can repair inverters and charge controllers in this Arena you have mentioned many times?
bassdow:

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Trippledots(m): 6:10pm On Feb 16
Trippledots:
New original JINKO 550w panels available. Tiger pro series...

10pcs and above #150k

Less than 10pcs #153k

Nationwide delivery available.

Still available...

Also, true labelled tokunbo panels, both mono and poly available...
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Jefferyzz(m): 6:13pm On Feb 16
bassdow:

See eh, it's almost very difficult getting anyOne trusted. Even when you get the Trusted ones (very few importers), the prices they would quote would drive you away.

na when problem start we dey begin complain.

But there are lots of them in ojo-Alaba Lagos, & Arena @ Oshodi Lagos.

But all in all, you need have idea or rely on an installer that wouldn't eat your money so much it ends up affecting the job
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Jefferyzz(m): 6:15pm On Feb 16
U can buy from fouani or gennex or buy from people dat advertise on this thread
Mojavee:

I'm based in Lagos
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Jefferyzz(m): 6:15pm On Feb 16
@Mojavee
Trippledots:
New original JINKO 550w panels available. Tiger pro series...

10pcs and above #150k

Less than 10pcs #153k

Nationwide delivery available.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Jefferyzz(m): 6:20pm On Feb 16
True
Drgreatone:

But when he wants to upgrade later, u know the 180w panels and to some extent the pwm would become useless. In solar, u always want to prepare for the future in terms of expansion. I'd suggest he gets his 300w panels and a 60amp mppt charger if money isnt a problem. All he has to do later to upgrade would be adding panels +/- battery upgrade while still making use of the mppt.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by isangjohnson: 6:28pm On Feb 16
Mojavee:

Thanks
I see 2 tubular batteries here (220ah 24v).
Why the 3.5kva 24v inverter. The highest capacity you should have gotten to safe cost and reduce the idle power consumption was 2.5kva. which would have still handled your loads conveniently.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by adrusa: 6:49pm On Feb 16
easyyoke:

Nice, you have been using them for how long and where did you purchase them

I bought the first one in November 2020, the second one is March 2023. The two are doing well.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Ithaca(f): 6:52pm On Feb 16
Hi All,

Since this recent issue with GasCos and GenCos, electricity supply has been pretty terrible, I now get around 5 to 6 hours of light. Luckily for me, I have an existing solar set up and I bought lithium batteries in October last year.

My existing set up is:
8 solar panels of 300w each
2.5kva, 24v inverter (it had an inbuilt solar charge controller which went bad and I had to get an external charge controller last year)
60A MPPT solar charge controller
2 100Ah 25.6v lithium ion batteries connected in series, which, if I am not mistaken, gives me about 5.12kwh of power (give or take efficiency losses)

Now to the load I put on it:
65 inch TCL TV
100w samsung inverter fridge (though I recently changed the compressor, so who knows if it is still consuming 100w)
An old 175w scanfrost deep freezer (always on, not sure it cycles on and off like the inverter fridge)
Lights
Fans (ceiling fans - I never even knew these consumed so much energy until this Nepa issue when I found out one fan consumes 75w,that's almost as much as my fridge!)

I am getting about 10-12 hours of power of mixed use. Two ceiling fans + fridge and freezer will run down the battery from 100% to 5% in about 8 hours based on my calculation/observation. This means I can't run both overnight, and so I pick and choose to ensure the battery power lasts till morning when the sun comes back up.

I have two questions/concerns:
1. Is this level of drain fair enough or do you think there could be a problem with my set-up?
2. How do I get to 12 hours of power with my major appliances (fridge and freezer) running constantly? Do I need to start thinking of inverter freezers (I guess technology has improved in recent years). Or will I need to get an additional battery?

Many thanks in advance and apologies if I have asked any questions for which the answers seem obvious - I have not really paid detailed attention to alternative energy until this year.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by easyyoke: 7:11pm On Feb 16
adrusa:

I bought the first one in November 2020, the second one is March 2023. The two are doing well.

Thats great. I will go for it then. Where did you buy them please?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by easyyoke: 7:15pm On Feb 16
Mojavee:

I'm based in Lagos

Go to any Foauni store or Gennex store.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bassdow: 8:16pm On Feb 16
ojesymsym:
Please do you or anybody has a sure contact of some that can repair inverters and charge controllers in this Arena you have mentioned many times?

it's just once I had reason to repair a charge Controller epEver TRIRON4210N but was unlucky because among the burnt components were 2 spider ICs which most Nigerian technicians have difficulty changing even if they happen to find a replacement BUT repairers full Alaba and Arena @ oshodi.

I just would suggest you don't pay a dime till they're done with repairs. Dem fit use style wan collect money to go look for so so so part hence it's left for you to decide how to handle such
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bassdow: 8:20pm On Feb 16
Ithaca:
Hi All,

Since this recent issue with GasCos and GenCos, electricity supply has been pretty terrible, I now get around 5 to 6 hours of light. Luckily for me, I have an existing solar set up and I bought lithium batteries in October last year.

My existing set up is:
8 solar panels of 300w each
2.5kva, 24v inverter (it had an inbuilt solar charge controller which went bad and I had to get an external charge controller last year)
60A MPPT solar charge controller
2 100Ah 25.6v lithium ion batteries connected in series, which, if I am not mistaken, gives me about 5.12kwh of power (give or take efficiency losses)

Now to the load I put on it:
65 inch TCL TV
100w samsung inverter fridge (though I recently changed the compressor, so who knows if it is still consuming 100w)
An old 175w scanfrost deep freezer (always on, not sure it cycles on and off like the inverter fridge)
Lights
Fans (ceiling fans - I never even knew these consumed so much energy until this Nepa issue when I found out one fan consumes 75w,that's almost as much as my fridge!)

I am getting about 10-12 hours of power of mixed use. Two ceiling fans + fridge and freezer will run down the battery from 100% to 5% in about 8 hours based on my calculation/observation. This means I can't run both overnight, and so I pick and choose to ensure the battery power lasts till morning when the sun comes back up.

I have two questions/concerns:
1. Is this level of drain fair enough or do you think there could be a problem with my set-up?
2. How do I get to 12 hours of power with my major appliances (fridge and freezer) running constantly? Do I need to start thinking of inverter freezers (I guess technology has improved in recent years). Or will I need to get an additional battery?

Many thanks in advance and apologies if I have asked any questions for which the answers seem obvious - I have not really paid detailed attention to alternative energy until this year.

Normally, most Solar owners (at least those without very Deep Pockets) hardly run their Fridges & Freezers more than 4 or 5 hours and that's mostly during the day when the Sun is on Duty. Sorry might come back later as I have to go back to work
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bassdow: 8:22pm On Feb 16
isangjohnson:

I see 2 tubular batteries here (220ah 24v).
Why the 3.5kva 24v inverter. The highest capacity you should have gotten to safe cost and reduce the idle power consumption was 2.5kva. which would have still handled your loads conveniently.

hmm 3.5KVA with 24-volts 220AH. Omo that battery go hear am
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Mojavee: 8:54pm On Feb 16
Yes, That's exactly what i meant. If you give a few names of solar panels brands you can recommend?

bassdow:

Do you mean recommend a Solar panel brand or what exactly ?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Mojavee: 9:08pm On Feb 16
The quotation i received was not specified if it was a MPPT or PWM,

He priced the charge controller @160k

Attached is a snipped quotation received

bassdow:

You didn't specify if the charge Controller is of type MPPT or PWM. That's very important hence reason I suggested MPPT, especially for the capacity you're going for.

In other words, let the charge Controller be MPPT, and not PWM

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Mojavee: 9:16pm On Feb 16
Thanks for the input I really appreciate.

I'm not really a too technical person, So i don't know how to calculate my chest freezer energy consumption.
But, its just a regular home use chest freezer

The idea of getting a 3.5kva is for possible future expansion,
I don't want to go down the lane of changing inverter if i am expanding, So I decide i just get a 3.5kva inverter.
I would only just have to add extra battery in the future, which i would definitely do. And if need be i would add extra panels too

Drgreatone:

Curious, whats the lower consumption of ur chest freezer, it it the old school own?
Is the 3.5kva inverter standalone or hybrid?
Unless u using lithium which can tolerate high charging current, I feel using 12 350/400watt panels is an overkill unless of course you have other heavy loads u plan on putting on the inverter also that u didn't mention?
At 40% efficiency, u wud be getting abt 2kw/hr from the panels with good sun and max u can send to ur tubular batteries is abt 500 to 600watts/hr for charging. Just my little knowledge. The experts can add or discredit this
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bassdow: 10:26pm On Feb 16
Mojavee:
The quotation i received was not specified if it was a MPPT or PWM,

He priced the charge controller @160k

Attached is a snipped quotation received

How many pcs of Solar Panels ?

Also, it's your duty to ask him the sort of Charge Controller (wether PWM or MPPT) he intends buying. you could equally ask of the brand gan sef if you like.

Also, using 2pcs of 200AH batteries for a 3.5KVA inverter go stres those batteries Ooo. Just my opinion though
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bassdow: 10:29pm On Feb 16
Mojavee:

Yes, That's exactly what i meant. If you give a few names of solar panels brands you can recommend?

Already mentioned sunPower, there also is another called Flames. There are others BUT those 2 I mentioned are readily available in the market (Ojo alaba to be precise)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1576) (1577) (1578) (1579) (1580) (1581) (1582) ... (1694) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: Emmypam(m), Edrizz(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.