Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,462 members, 7,843,407 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 03:06 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (22) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2115513 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (1725) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pdozie: 11:56am On Sep 18, 2012
Thanks guys. I havent got a replacement battery for now. If I remove the dead battery will it not affect the setup since I have 4 batteries in series? Can I still remove it and leave the other 3 in series? Not sure if that works.

Please advice
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pdozie: 11:59am On Sep 18, 2012
idsolar: Kai this is a direct hit. sorry. d lowest in volt will drag d others to quick grave. discard. check inverter charging system. all d best

Please how do I check the charging system? Can I use a meter to check it? The technician that promised to come check the inverter didnt turn up as agreed, so I might as well check it myslef (if I can)

Cheers
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by olenyi: 12:16pm On Sep 18, 2012
George_D: all,
the much awaited upgrade to my solar installation finally kicked off over the weekend.

battery bank has been totally overhauled.

pictures coming soon as earlier promised cool

@Oga George_D.

Though i haven't gotten enough logistics together for now to plunge into this alternative power source. I know i'll one day do so. Dats why i keep abreast of innovations here on this thread. Welldone keep the good work up. We cant wait to see d pictures of ur new setup. More power to ur elbow!!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 12:38pm On Sep 18, 2012
olenyi,
thanks for the kind words. my battery bank overhaul has been long overdue. after 5yrs of
faithful service i thought it was the right time to go up higher.

indeed, not by might. not by my own strenght.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 12:45pm On Sep 18, 2012
pdozie,
four (12v) batteries in series make up 48v. if you remove one of them you end up with 36v.
your inverter was designed to operate at a minimum of 48v and will not function if one
battery is out. if you still insist on using the batteries as they are, the only other
solution is to change to either a 12v or 24v inverter. but of course that may mean
spending money in purchasing a new inverter. money that you could have invested in buying
a new set of batteries.

i sometimes wonder why they don't make inverters much like solar charge controllers where
you can configure them to accept whatever system voltage you want them to operate on. just
my thoughts.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pdozie: 11:01am On Sep 19, 2012
@George,
My question was based on the suggestions that i should remove the weak battery. I know of course that the inverter was designed for 4 x 12V batteries.
I may end up changing both the inverter and the batteries. The inverter itself, though working before the batteries damaged, was giving other uncomfortable signs. E.g.
1. Most often than not, the LED displays either shows blank or displays jargons (like codes)
2. Almost everyday if you switch on the inverter, it goes off and on - sometimes upto 6 times before it stabilizes. I've expereinced occasions also when it power cycled after many hours in operation, which would have killed my fridge compressor had no one been around.

I had asked my cousin to take the inverter to Sukam service center in Surulere but he was not attended to due to crowd. There were so many people. I have been looking for inverter technicians but no success yet (seems like a good area for some people to invest in -> talk of self employment opportunity)

I share your thoughts on "Inverter Charge conterollers". If I have to change my inverter, I will definitely go for same capacity - 3.5. But it also means I must buy 4 x 200aH batteries. If there was "Inverter Charge conterollers", I could start with few batteries and regulate the controller till I have the required 4.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Akanniade(m): 1:37pm On Sep 19, 2012
pdozie: @George,
My question was based on the suggestions that i should remove the weak battery. I know of course that the inverter was designed for 4 x 12V batteries.
I may end up changing both the inverter and the batteries. The inverter itself, though working before the batteries damaged, was giving other uncomfortable signs. E.g.
1. Most often than not, the LED displays either shows blank or displays jargons (like codes)
2. Almost everyday if you switch on the inverter, it goes off and on - sometimes upto 6 times before it stabilizes. I've expereinced occasions also when it power cycled after many hours in operation, which would have killed my fridge compressor had no one been around.

I had asked my cousin to take the inverter to Sukam service center in Surulere but he was not attended to due to crowd. There were so many people. I have been looking for inverter technicians but no success yet (seems like a good area for some people to invest in -> talk of self employment opportunity)

I share your thoughts on "Inverter Charge conterollers". If I have to change my inverter, I will definitely go for same capacity - 3.5. But it also means I must buy 4 x 200aH batteries. If there was "Inverter Charge conterollers", I could start with few batteries and regulate the controller till I have the required 4.

Like George D, I know many who use your same brand without issues. What I can deduce from all your posts, is that nepa fluctuation destroyed your inverter/battery system. If you take time to read your a.c voltage from nepa, you see the rapid change. Most distribution is not properly managed by nepa. Most people switch phases when the fuse cut at the xformer. Eventually everyone is on just one phase. A 230v a.c phase will now be reduced to about 170v a.c with extreme fluctuations. It could also be the reverse case; too few people on a phase and you can be reading as much as 255v a.c. Also, gen may not be the best way to charge your inverter batteries except it is of large capacity. Reason is, it cannot push as much current as nepa (higher internal resistance).
In your case I suspect the charging circuit is damaged. Your best bet for repairs is still the Sukam people. The solution most of the times is board replacement, which they wont sell. My advise is, get a good stabilizer to properly regulate your nepa. If you can afford it, a PRAG 10KVa servo motor stab. costs 45K. It regulates better than the relay switch types.
All the best.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pdozie: 5:06pm On Sep 19, 2012
@ Akanniade,
Good insight. I had bought two different 5KVA relay stabilizers - both didnt last. The PRAG servo motor stab may worth trying. But that will be after replacing the basic systems smiley

Many thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 9:02am On Sep 20, 2012
pdozie,
to buttress what akanniade said, your inverter charging system seems to have been affected. i'm using the same sukam model with no issues at all.
also like he said, and which you also confirmed, this 5kva relay stabilizers seem not meant for applications such as ours. i have also had cause to change my stabilizer not long ago. just yesterday while doing my inverter installation, i discovered my binatone 5kv stabilizer which i bought less than a year ago has started over-supplying. same reason i changed the african master stab now the binatone is going the same route. i am already planning to get a better stabilizer and co-incidentally was thinking of getting the prag servo 10kva before i even read akanniade's post.

@akanniade,
it's been quite a while. looks like you forgot to reply my last mail?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 9:09am On Sep 20, 2012
all,
as promised here are some pics from my system upgrade works.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 9:10am On Sep 20, 2012
out with the old:

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 9:10am On Sep 20, 2012
welcome to the new:

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 9:12am On Sep 20, 2012
installation works in progress:

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 9:13am On Sep 20, 2012
the 3 string 'combiner'. equal cable length means equal charging current under all conditions:

1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 9:16am On Sep 20, 2012
same old morningstar charge controller puffing away. more load to charge now.

1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by olenyi: 9:27am On Sep 20, 2012
^^^^
Speechless. Welldone. With this setup, its bye bye to PHCN wahala. Big ups.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Nobody: 10:13am On Sep 20, 2012
George_D: installation works in progress:
I don't understand this your system, are there 3 inverters in it?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Akanniade(m): 10:42am On Sep 20, 2012
George_D: all,
as promised here are some pics from my system upgrade works.
Bros congrats. This na total overhaul.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zoboizee: 9:01am On Sep 21, 2012
Great. What is the total bank of your batteries. Guess u r getting closer to beating akanniade in battery size. What is the total bank of your batteries. Guess u r getting closer to beating akanniade in battery size.grin
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 8:50am On Sep 24, 2012
blink182: I don't understand this your system, are there 3 inverters in it?

there are only one inverter powering the house.
presently i'm still using the sukam but eventually i plan to change over
to the cyberpower.

still testing as you can see.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 8:51am On Sep 24, 2012
Akanniade:
Bros congrats. This na total overhaul.

my brother, no be small thing oooo!
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 8:55am On Sep 24, 2012
zobo-i-zee:
Great. What is the total bank of your batteries. Guess u r getting closer to beating akanniade in battery size. What is the total bank of your batteries. Guess u r getting closer to beating akanniade in battery size.grin

total battery bank size is 780ah comprising 12pcs zenith 260ah batteries.
and, no it's not about competition. rather its about pushing the limits of alternative power.
if you've been following my posts on this forum, you'll see that i been contemplating this upgrade
for close to two years now. well, i just felt the time was right to take the plunge.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bing(m): 11:12am On Sep 24, 2012
@george, greetings....as a starter can i use 1 zenith battery (260ah) and a 1.5 kva inverter to power 1 lcd, 1 decoder, 1 home theatre, 2 ceiling fans. If yes like how many hours will it serve me if fully charge...
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 1:48pm On Sep 24, 2012
hello bing,
yes, technically you can use a 260ah battery and a 1.5kva inverter to power what you just listed here.

the problem is without actual nameplate power ratings for these equipment i cannot give you an accurate
run time which is what you want.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 2:29pm On Sep 24, 2012
all,
over the weekend i completed phase two of my systems upgrade. added 8 more panels to boost output.

below are some of the installation pix.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 2:35pm On Sep 24, 2012
preparing to install:

brackets ready.

1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 2:36pm On Sep 24, 2012
panels ready:

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 2:37pm On Sep 24, 2012
more

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 2:37pm On Sep 24, 2012
confirm nameplate: suntech

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 2:42pm On Sep 24, 2012
on the roof: installation in progress.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 2:47pm On Sep 24, 2012
array power, old meets new!

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 2:50pm On Sep 24, 2012
away from public glare, tying up the currents!

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (1725) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.