Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,270 members, 7,815,453 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:41 PM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (217) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2055852 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (214) (215) (216) (217) (218) (219) (220) ... (1689) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JUO(m): 6:35pm On Mar 01, 2017
abunafiu:
For over a week now.
Ilorin sun has been smiling at me. My daily harvest is now 14 to 15.5kwh daily with my 4kw @250w poly panels.
2 weeks ago, I will shout if I hit 12kwh. I almost felt my panels are going down.

Saipro how far ur side?

Finally ve united my Trojans. Back to 48v set up now.
So I now discharge gently.
Since I am 100% off grid. Saving for additional 1kw to hit 5kw PV strength.
After then start saving for battery replacement.
Not sure if I would love to have a repeated flooded experience.
What about you?
bros no be me and flooded again oh
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by efuro(m): 6:45pm On Mar 01, 2017
abunafiu:
For over a week now.
Ilorin sun has been smiling at me. My daily harvest is now 14 to 15.5kwh daily with my 4kw @250w poly panels.
2 weeks ago, I will shout if I hit 12kwh. I almost felt my panels are going down.

Saipro how far ur side?

What about you?

Am happi ur system has bounced back. It seem our solar community is having good tidings from north to south.

My regards to all.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by efuro(m): 7:17pm On Mar 01, 2017
JUO:
bros no be me and flooded again oh

Na wa oooo
Wen those of us with SLA batteries see you people with flooded batteries as big boys (which you are).

No wonder LifePo batteries is gaining favour
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 8:41pm On Mar 01, 2017
Yes o....LiFeO4 ti take over grin
efuro:

Na wa oooo
Wen those of us with SLA batteries see you people with flooded batteries as big boys (which you are).

No wonder LifePo batteries is gaining favour
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 9:40pm On Mar 01, 2017
DMerciful:
Yes o....LiFeO4 ti take over grin
Show some mercy. Ejawasi oooo.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 7:42am On Mar 02, 2017
abunafiu:
For over a week now.

What about you?

Flooded is it for me oh although AGM has a advantage in terms generally having a higher charge and discharge rate compared to flooded. The ability to equalise and replace lost electrolyte for a flooded battery, ability to check SG and see how each battery cell are doing, and the general longevity of FLA if *properly used and maintained* wins it for me. With AGM or other sealed batteries, its very hard to tackle the issue of voltage divergence between the batteries and cell within a battery. especially when running multiple batteries in series (or parallel) some have mitigated this problem by getting a battery balancer (additional cost) With flooded you just need equalise once a month and you are good to go

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Penuelseun(m): 8:11am On Mar 02, 2017
Pls who among my Ogas can sell any extremely cheap & used solar panel to me here, will really appreciate coz PHCN never remember our side for 1 week plus now & I am tired of charging my battery with generator. You can also dash me as the spirit leads you. Thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 10:31am On Mar 02, 2017
Penuelseun:
Pls who among my Ogas can sell any extremely cheap & used solar panel to me here, will really appreciate coz PHCN never remember our side for 1 week plus now & I am tired of charging my battery with generator. You can also dash me as the spirit leads you. Thanks
Your location? I might have a used but very efficient 220w solar panel for sale. I am selling for the need to upgrade my array to 1kwa, I already have 3 250w panels but the 220w is the bringing down the general power of my array to sub 900w
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Penuelseun(m): 12:34pm On Mar 02, 2017
bigrovar:
Your location? I might have a used but very efficient 220w solar panel for sale. I am selling for the need to upgrade my array to 1kwa, I already have 3 250w panels but the 220w is the bringing down the general power of my array to sub 900w
Akure, how much is it
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chris81964(m): 2:05pm On Mar 02, 2017
abunafiu:
For over a week now.

Saipro how far ur side?

What about you?
I have had the same experience with my batteries multiple times. It happens the same time every. When I am away and Nepa goes with me. You can't be off grid and not have a generator, you will damage your batteries.
Run an equalization charge twice the first week and then every week for a month. Make sure you fully charge your batteries every day. They will recover. Mine took much longer this time than the last.
I am doing a video on it. You will see it on my YouTube channel next week.

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 2:11pm On Mar 02, 2017
Penuelseun:
Akure, how much is it
ahh too bad... I really can't be bothered with the logistics. I hope to sell for around 40k, so I can add and procure a 250w panel.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 2:13pm On Mar 02, 2017
chris81964:

I have had the same experience with my batteries multiple times. It happens the same time every. When I am away and Nepa goes with me. You can't be off grid and not have a generator, you will damage your batteries.
Run an equalization charge twice the first week and then every week for a month. Make sure you fully charge your batteries every day. They will recover. Mine took much longer this time than the last.

Exactly why I like FLA for all their perkiness they are tough to kill and even when they die, like Iron Islanders, what is dead sometimes can raise again harder and stronger

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 2:50pm On Mar 02, 2017
kiekie1:

Eco mode LED TV's are generally energy efficient .. 55inch full hd android LED TV in my sitting room consumes 91w(42a) max , and 87w min operating watts .. While the smaller bedroom 24inch full hd LED TV's consumes 20-22w(10a) max. This results are far better than plasma TV energy consumption ! In situations like this whilst on solar , get a watts meter for accurate load watts reading and size up your battery bank properly for longer battery LIFE ..

47" LG 3D SMART LED TV
32W at lowest consumption. My best TV investment ever.

32" Sony Bravia LCD TV
47W at lowest consumption

LED wins, always (the 47" is almost twice the size of the 32" even though the figures don't make it apparent)
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 3:00pm On Mar 02, 2017
abunafiu:
For over a week now.

Saipro how far ur side?

What about you?

I think I might have too many panels. Despite maxing out my opportunistic loads, I still hit [b]Absorb[/b]by midday and begin wasting power by 1pm latest. If I manage to max out from dawn, I get up up to 12kWh. That's a 3kW PV array. Yours is a notch higher. Means if you max out your loads, I'd expect no less than 15kWh from you. Means you're doing great.

On a brighter side, I can leave my cooling systems on from 10am till 4pm. From then till dawn, the fans take over but the walls would have cooled sufficiently to make fans a bliss. And my gas cooker is suffering some disuse atrophy since my acquisition of induction cookers.

Sadly, I haven't been able to restore my bank to a 48V nominal run. Still using a 42V bank. How/where did you get batteries?

PS: Unless you'd be assisting your neighbours, me thinks a 5kW PV array is an overkill. Even on cloudy days, I now do great. I have exceeded the 10 - 13% cost efficient charging capability and pushed my limits to 19.4%. At times makes me sad seeing that extra power going to waste.

6 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bobojoshua(m): 4:02pm On Mar 02, 2017
chris81964:

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by jukeblam(m): 9:43pm On Mar 02, 2017
bigrovar:

Exactly why I like FLA for all their perkiness they are tough to kill and even when they die, like Iron Islanders, what is dead sometimes can raise again harder and stronger

abunafiu:

Any idea what the expected life of a Trojan flooded battery with discharge to 30% and 80% recharge cycles (rough estimate)?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 1:26am On Mar 03, 2017
HURRY ! DISCOUNT SALES !!

Perlight mono panels
Hoppecke 12v 250a monobloc deep cycle sealed batteries
Solar world modules
Genus batteries
Solar roof mount accessories
Mppt solar charge controllers
Solar panel cables
Solar panel installation accessories;improvised combiner boxes,programmable timer switches,watts meters,mnspd surge protectors,DC breakers etc
Prag products rebate prices
Must power inverters(arriving soon)
Yachi panels (arriving soon)
My home panels. (arriving soon)

See signature or profile for contact number !
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 8:21am On Mar 03, 2017
kiekie1:
HURRY ! DISCOUNT SALES !!

Perlight mono panels
Hoppecke 12v 250a monobloc deep cycle sealed batteries
Solar world modules
Genus batteries
Solar roof mount accessories
Mppt solar charge controllers
Solar panel cables
Solar panel installation accessories;improvised combiner boxes,programmable timer switches,watts meters,mnspd surge protectors,DC breakers etc
Prag products rebate prices
Must power inverters(arriving soon)
Yachi panels (arriving soon)
My home panels. (arriving soon)

See signature or profile for contact number !

Prices?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Trippledots(m): 10:00am On Mar 03, 2017
Any one with an idea where to get NiFe batteries.both local seller or foreign.....
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 10:13am On Mar 03, 2017
I was on the phone with w nairalander yesterday morning. I was shocked when he told me about the sudden death of 3 of 16 units of his flooded L16 Batteries.
Is it that we are doing something wrong.
Sir Chris, I appreciate your feedback. Let's see the video once it's ready.
I just feel we need to identify what we are doing wrong so we can improve on our past error.

Anyway, if those batteries were sold for the prices we got them in 2014, one would have replaced them all without hesitation.
Na recession cause all these talk talk.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 10:37am On Mar 03, 2017
abunafiu:
I was on the phone with w nairalander yesterday morning. I was shocked when he told me about the sudden death of 3 of 16 units of his flooded L16 Batteries.
I just feel we need to identify what we are doing wrong so we can improve on our past error.

Anyway, if those batteries were sold for the prices we got them in 2014, one would have replaced them all without hesitation.

I don't really think so. As you are aware, 3 of my 8 batteries were defective ab initio. The one with the worst defects gave up first. From extensive reading and conference with people who've been using solar since the 80s, I would say we're doing everything right. We need better batteries.

I am yet to receive a single complain from any of my US Battery users/clients. Fresh stock for each one. Me thinks:

1. Our Trojans spent a wee too long in the warehouse. We have no idea of how they were maintained or bulk charged (3 of mine came with swollen terminals and buckled plates).
2. No need to reach float everyday so long as you can hit 90% daily. 100% charge twice a week is adequate.
3. Do not keep them under 50% charge for any length of time.

Golden rules:
4. Single string rules! If you must use multiple strings, connect them all to a busbar. More than 3 strings is considered poor practice.
5. For FLA, be mindful of electrolyte levels
6. For FLA as well, check SG at least once a month for the first 6 - 9 months so you get a feel of which batteries might give issues.
7. Routinely check terminals for dirt, corrosion and loose connections. How often is up to you

Finally:
8. Learn your charging voltages for your batteries. Overcharging is nearly as lethal as undercharging.
9. If you wouldn't be using your batteries for a while, find a way to trickle charge them to maintain them in float. Or since Nigeria is smack in the middle of the tropics, bulk charge them every 30 - 60 days.
10. Oh, I almost forgot: if you your batteries are constantly warm to hot, there's a problem. True, you get more kick out of warm batteries. They also die almost twice as fast. Shorts, overcharging, loose connections, etc. Whatever the case, investigate fast, especially if a single battery or two are warmer than the others.
11. I have been told that it's also good practice to occasionally take your batteries down to about 50% and bring them back up soon afterwards. There's supposedly another that of hard sulphation which occurs with frrquent shallow cycles. Do that perhaps every 2 - 6 months. At least once a year. You stand to gain a lot more than you stand to lose. If you routinely discharge 30 - 50% of your capacity, this advice isn't for you.

What else? Let everyone else contribute. I'm sure there are a lot of "green scholars" here.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chris81964(m): 1:56pm On Mar 03, 2017
abunafiu:

I will load it soon. I have some of the issues that Sapiro mentioned with mine as well. However they have performed well. We have one of the batteries that has a discharged cell. The specific gravity in that cell indicated that what we have is water relative to the others. We will continue to run equalization till we correct it or ditch it
Update 851 pm. For the first time since I returned to Lagos my batteries are holding above 25 volts at night. They are at 25.44 with my freezer and lights on. Changed my charger settings and the batteries got hot. You could make tea with the electrolyte. All the cells boiled and burbled except one. It got hot but no gas or burbling.
We will do it again tomorrow. Brute force from my AC charger and my charge controller seems to do it. They cool down today and tomorrow we give it another try.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by EnigmaticEnigma(m): 8:43pm On Mar 03, 2017
Why is spam bot banning me Shoooo
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by EnigmaticEnigma(m): 8:46pm On Mar 03, 2017
Maybe my post was too long undecided

Anywho, I was talking about building a diy air conditioner using ice, a pump and a radiator.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by EnigmaticEnigma(m): 8:48pm On Mar 03, 2017
The goal of this project would be:

-to get air conditioning for under 100watts of power.

-to dehumidify the air.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by EnigmaticEnigma(m): 8:53pm On Mar 03, 2017
This will entail moving heat from one room to the next, since ice will be the major driver.

The blueprint is simple, get a container for the ice/water, then isolate that container from the environment so that you are not adding humidity back into the room.

Next, pipe the water in the cooler through the radiator using a small aquarium type pump. The roadiator should now become ice cool since its a good thermal conductor.

Lastly, a fan would be run across the radiator, to chill the air coming in from the intake.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by EnigmaticEnigma(m): 8:58pm On Mar 03, 2017
Now since the radiator is ice cool, air that passes over it, that is warmer should condense on the surface of the radiator.

Just like how condensation happens on a cold soda can removed from the fridge and allowed to sit in a room at room temperature.

So, this condensation on the radiator should assist in dehumidifying the room, further adding to comfort.

Only drawback I can think of would be making the ice, but I think that isn't a big deal as long as you already have a freezer running in a different room.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by chris81964(m): 8:58pm On Mar 03, 2017
EnigmaticEnigma:
This will entail moving heat from one room to the next, since ice will be the major driver.

The blueprint is simple, get a container for the ice/water, then isolate that container from the environment so that you are not adding humidity back into the room.

Next, pipe the water in the cooler through the radiator using a small aquarium type pump. The roadiator should now become ice cool since its a good thermal conductor.

Lastly, a fan would be run across the radiator, to chill the air coming in from the intake.
There is a YouTube video showing just that.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by EnigmaticEnigma(m): 9:05pm On Mar 03, 2017
chris81964:

There is a YouTube video showing just that.

Yes, I know.

Which is why I wanna do it and record the data first hand, or at least have someone here pull it off and record the data for us.

I only saw one guy on YouTube get it right by using a radiator, the others were just adding humidity back into the room by blowing air directly over ice.

Another reason I'm mentioning it here is for the power consumption benefits if indeed it can be pulled off well. That would be a huge savings to the inverter /solar community here, cause just for 100watts, you can at least have spot cooling, many more times better than an ordinary fan.

(1) (2) (3) ... (214) (215) (216) (217) (218) (219) (220) ... (1689) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: ewizard1, ojeysky(m), Mrreed(m), hollaryincar(m), Hero2t and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.