Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,655 members, 7,816,683 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:10 PM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (281) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2058282 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (278) (279) (280) (281) (282) (283) (284) ... (1691) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 1:31pm On Aug 16, 2017
I would recommend 48v over 96v for these reasons.

1) Available technology and support systems - Most high end inverters and charge controllers are configured for 48v - the ones that can do the range from 12v to 48v are usually at their peak performance at 48v.

2) Ease of management - If you had 8 12v batteries to play with and had them setup as 96v, the failure of just one battery out of 8 would bring your system performance down very noticeably - if however you had gone with a 48v system with two 48v strings in parallel, you could afford to have one and even up to four batteries fail and still have a useable system and buy enough time to attempt battery recovery or save up for their replacement.

3) Safety - As you play with DC voltages above 60v, it is possible to sustain a fatal or at the very least painful electrical shock - so you need to know what you are doing at voltages like 96v and above.

Notwithstanding there are certainly benefits e.g savings in inverter copper/transformer windings, ability to use thinner and therefore cheaper DC cables [(given thesame power output, higher voltage means lesser current/amps)] in a 96v system vs 48v amongst other benefits but by and large I would advice you go for 48v except your circumstances clearly indicate otherwise.

pitodenz:
Hi I need advise between 48v n 96v inverter which one will be better for 5KVA (products from Prag)

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 2:00pm On Aug 16, 2017
bigrovar:

I don't know anyone who has come here seeking knowledge and has left empty handed. Its just that of late we have seen less DIY people and more of people who just want their system to just "work" without putting in the needed time to make it work. DIY is not for everyone and it is not easy, if it were everyone would be doing it. It takes time patience and lots of learning which most are not ready to do. What people do here nowadays is problem dump. Dump their solar problems here and expect people to fix them often time they provide very little information. Its hard enough trouble shooting a problem from post from a forum. whats worse is trouble shooting without little to work with. In most cases the best thing for some persons is to seek professional assistance. If you are not ready to read and learn and get your hands dirty. DIY is not for you.

You know, I'd say you're on to something. Perhaps it's time to stop encouraging complacency and mediocrity. Help would still be rendered if the request is sincere with showing of committment but if all you're after is to patch up an existing system, I'd go with bigrovar and suggest you get a professional. No more free lunch. Well, there's free lunch at the table but you first have to make your way to the table.

We're talking high current systems here. People could really get hurt. Or worse.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 7:54am On Aug 17, 2017
Saipro:

You know, I'd say you're on to something. Perhaps it's time to stop encouraging complacency and mediocrity. Help would still be rendered if the request is sincere with showing of committment but if all you're after is to patch up an existing system, I'd go with bigrovar and suggest you get a professional. No more free lunch. Well, there's free lunch at the table but you first have to make your way to the table.

We're talking high current systems here. People could really get hurt. Or worse.

Exactly. many of us here came on as complete Jambites. But we was ready to learn and went to great effort. Bros nothing is free. I know how much I spent on calls and data watching youtube videos, calling tracking down and calling experienced hands on here to pick their brains. All in quest of knowledge. Many are not ready for all that, they just want to throw their problem over the fence and expect a one line solution. When you commit to helping by asking for basic information or asking them to perform basic task. They just go silence. For those people get a pro.. we have many here. If you want knowledge and want to do with your hands. Then roll your sleeve and be ready to learn. No free lunch here. but we have recipe on how to prepare a great meal. If you want fast food, enter MrBiggs

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 8:02am On Aug 17, 2017
Kai, Sun is literally not smiling in my neck of wood. I had to roar the Gen back to live last night no thanks to 3 days of diabolically dark clouds. I had to cut down on powerful loads like fridge and freezer hence my turning on the gen before all frozen food go to waste. I think it is time we really look to diversify our source of renewable energy and start to look into Wind Turbine as an addition complementary to solar. especially for times like these and also to help with night load. For am just looking for a 600w wind turbine setup. Even if I can get 200w from it from an average day wind is a win for me because that should be more than enough to power the freezer and cover the night load (at all at all na him bad)

anyone here has any experience with wind turbine generators?

4 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by aweso: 11:21am On Aug 17, 2017
Promo on

CROWN BATTERY
Model CR-235
6v 235aH DEEP CYCLE BATTERY

₦ 60,000

₦50,000

CC:
GeorgeD1
abunafiu
Akanniade
chris81964
richmon74:
pranil
DMerciful
kiekie,
mctrinity,
obimind,
earthrealm,
babaegun,
bigrovar,
mcci,
juo,
saipro,
dmerciful,
barezzi,
efuro,
dunka
dapsyra

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by jazzman2(m): 11:25am On Aug 17, 2017
bigrovar:
Kai, Sun is literally not smiling in my neck of wood. I had to roar the Gen back to live last night no thanks to 3 days of diabolically dark clouds. I had to cut down on powerful loads like fridge and freezer hence my turning on the gen before all frozen food go to waste. I think it is time we really look to diversify our source of renewable energy and start to look into Wind Turbine as an addition complementary to solar. especially for times like these and also to help with night load. For am just looking for a 600w wind turbine setup. Even if I can get 200w from it from an average day wind is a win for me because that should be more than enough to power the freezer and cover the night load (at all at all na him bad)

anyone here has any experience with wind turbine generators?

Hi Bigrovar,
Will increasing your PV production capacity help your situation? Like doubling or tripling ur current PV capacity?

Regards
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 2:13pm On Aug 17, 2017
jazzman2:

Hi Bigrovar,
Will increasing your PV production capacity help your situation? Like doubling or tripling ur current PV capacity?

Regards

won't be as efficient as diversifying to something like wind. over sizing should have it's limits especially considering the really tough months are July-August. if you overtly oversize your PV beyond your load, your system would be under utilised for the most part of the year

4 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Barezzi(m): 5:51pm On Aug 17, 2017
bigrovar:

won't be as efficient as diversifying to something like wind. over sizing should have it's limits especially considering the really tough months are July-August. if you overtly oversize your PV beyond your load, your system would be under utilised for the most part of the year
Store the excess in water tongue
Water is a very good solar storage system, and you get the added benefit of a guaranteed hot bath.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 7:28pm On Aug 17, 2017
bigrovar:

hello bigrovar,
you're very much on point. the july-august rain belt is proving to be an especially hard one to swallow most especially
with the weather pattern this year. some days even with my over 7kw solar array i'm barely able to generate 5kwhr
total production. i'm only now beginning to realize that i actually need more panels to tide me through the dark days.
but again, like you said, oversizing has its limits.
i was talking to someone early this afternoon and i said putting out more panels on a dark cloudy day with zero sun is
akin to lining up empty plastic buckets to fetch rain water. even if you have 1000 buckets lined up, if there is no drop of
rain you realize nothing at the end of the day. same thing goes with solar. a million panels stretched out on your roof
with zero sunshine will yield zero kilowatt-hours!

5 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 8:08am On Aug 18, 2017
GeorgeD1:

hello bigrovar,
you're very much on point. the july-august rain belt is proving to be an especially hard one to swallow most especially
with the weather pattern this year. some days even with my over 7kw solar array i'm barely able to generate 5kwhr
total production. i'm only now beginning to realize that i actually need more panels to tide me through the dark days.
i was talking to someone early this afternoon and i said putting out more panels on a dark cloudy day with zero sun is
akin to lining up empty plastic buckets to fetch rain water. even if you have 1000 buckets lined up, if there is no drop of
rain you realize nothing at the end of the day. same thing goes with solar. a million panels stretched out on your roof

We're luckier in Ilorin. The sky was overcast throughout yesterday as it rained/drizzled from the previous night all the way to yesterday night giving me just 3.1kW. Still got My least sunny day this year has yielded about 2.9kW (3kW of panels). I've had as low as 1.3kW on some days (paradoxically very sunny days) due to minimal use, not lack of sunshine.

My polycrystalline (not to be confused with the older but now distinct multicrystalline) PV modules seemingly now outperform my monocrystalline modules in low light conditions. Replicated the results over the past year.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Oshomo12(m): 8:37am On Aug 18, 2017
Saipro:

We're luckier in Ilorin. The sky was overcast throughout yesterday as it rained/drizzled from the previous night all the way to yesterday night giving me just 3.1kW. Still got My least sunny day this year has yielded about 2.9kW (3kW of panels). I've had as low as 1.3kW on some days (paradoxically very sunny days) due to minimal use, not lack of sunshine.

My polycrystalline (not to be confused with the older but now distinct multicrystalline) PV modules seemingly now outperform my monocrystalline modules in low light conditions. Replicated the results over the past year.

Ilorin is a good place for solar even around this period. Anybody complaining should come to Akure and see worse! I am thinking of small wind turbine for this period (around 400W). The ones I ve seen so far on aliexpress, the feedback not good (imagine 400w not producing even 100w).
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 2:15pm On Aug 18, 2017
Half joking and half seriously, consider revolutionary new technology - been researching some sort of 'perpetual energy machine' which is supposed to be impossible per the laws of physics. Jury is still out though - still summoning the courage to buy a unit and test - might be easier if I can see a live demo when next I go state-side.

See link below - Si-Graphite Power Cells - kindly note I am not a (re)seller or affiliated to the website in any way - just posting the link to broaden the knowledge base on renewable energy.

http://www.quantamagneticstore.com/si-graphite-expansion-modules.html

Oshomo12:

Ilorin is a good place for solar even around this period. Anybody complaining should come to Akure and see worse! I am thinking of small wind turbine for this period (around 400W). The ones I ve seen so far on aliexpress, the feedback not good (imagine 400w not producing even 100w).
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by life707: 2:19pm On Aug 18, 2017
GeorgeD1:

hello bigrovar,

In Jos where I stay, even when there is no rain, there will be no sunshine for up to 3days, so for most of us that live off grid, we use two systems with an automatic change over running a 14/10hr shifts.

The rationale is to rest one set and get better charging while the other set manages d little daylight to power the house.
We observed that no matter how many kwatts of PV u have, as long as d system runs for 24hrs, during this period, the battery drains faster because the depth of charge is not sufficient to make the batteries float.

Thus necessitating two system up.

The PV I bought from you were to augment my second system.

With ur 7kw system, a split into 4.5kw and 2.5kw will be helpful.
U will be surprise what the 2.5kw system can do at night when it has all the time to charge all day with little sunlight and settle before coming on to take over from the 4.5kw system that charges and work at the same time during the day.

Just thought to share my experience.

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 3:22pm On Aug 18, 2017
Oshomo12:

oshomo,
wind turbines would be an attractive proposition down here in the south-south
especially for the period between july-august. if i can lay hands on an efficient and
reliable one with a cut-in speed suitable for the prevailing wind characteristics, what
a boon that would be.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 3:49pm On Aug 18, 2017
life707:

In Jos where I stay, even when there is no rain, there will be no sunshine for up to 3days, so for most of us that live off grid, we use two systems with an automatic change over running a 14/10hr shifts.

The rationale is to rest one set and get better charging while the other set manages d little daylight to power the house.
We observed that no matter how many kwatts of PV u have, as long as d system runs for 24hrs, during this period, the battery drains faster because the depth of charge is not sufficient to make the batteries float.

U will be surprise what the 2.5kw system can do at night when it has all the time to charge all day with little sunlight and settle before coming on to take over from the 4.5kw system that charges and work at the same time during the day.

there was a time i gave serious thought to such a setup but later decided against it for
various reasons. my experience these past few weeks may force me to give it a re-think.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pranil(m): 5:19pm On Aug 18, 2017
GeorgeD1:

there was a time i gave serious thought to such a setup but later decided against it for
various reasons. my experience these past few weeks may force me to give it a re-think.

I considered the wind here in Abuja for my House few years back - Even got an Anemometer ( wind speed measure). I could hardly get 1-3 m/s best times of the day.

if you look at wind speed versus power ratio for most of the turbines you will realize that best speeds are above 6 ms normally 10 -14 m/s

At low wind speeds, the cost per KWh was working out to be outrageous

Wind speeds throughout Nigeria on average are 4-8 m/s unless very near to coast or on top of hill

Below is a very good site for Nigeria wind in case you are considering wind energy

http://www.neenigeria.com/html/wind_energy.html

5 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pranil(m): 6:28pm On Aug 18, 2017
In the interest of sharing pls. find attached my comparison of LIon batteries ( which can be leaglly imported into Nigeria) and lead acid

The transport costs are approximated to the higher side. All battery prices are from manufacturers with direct quotes

Conclusion - Unless NERC increases unit rates of makes net metering legal. LEAD ACID comes out winner

The only exception is Smplifi USA who claim to have more than 10,000 Cycles life at rated capacity

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by babaegun(m): 7:59pm On Aug 18, 2017
pranil:

I considered the wind here in Abuja for my House few years back - Even got an Anemometer ( wind speed measure). I could hardly get 1-3 m/s best times of the day.
if you look at wind speed versus power ratio for most of the turbines you will realize that best speeds are above 6 ms normally 10 -14 m/s
At low wind speeds, the cost per KWh was working out to be outrageous . Wind speeds throughout Nigeria on average are 4-8 m/s unless very near to coast or on top of hill Below is a very good site for Nigeria wind in case you are considering wind energy http://www.neenigeria.com/html/wind_energy.html

I sighted a small Wind Turbine near the Ship House (opp US embassy area) in Abuja few days ago. Don't really know how efficient it is and was unable to take pictures in a place like that..

The rain has not been friendly to renewable energy enthusiast lately. My generation has not exceeded. 4kwh in the past few days but today seems better as I was able to hit 9kWh which surprised me sef.

We need a solution that will compensate for these sunless days.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 2:07am On Aug 19, 2017
life707:

I have been toying with this idea (in my head) seems a great now that am reading your implementation. It's a nice way to expand especially someone like me who wants to increase overall system capacity without falling into the danger of mixing batteries.

I just need to setup a smaller night mode system which is used for relative light night load and turned off during the day where it does only charging. While the main system runs opportunity loads during the day and goes off at night. This would be an efficient way and even ensure shallow discharge of batteries.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 7:30am On Aug 19, 2017
babaegun:

We need a solution that will compensate for these sunless days.

Often the most economical fallback position is to use your generator for a few hours to tide you over those cloudy no/low sunlight days - if your inverter is slow charging (under 30amps DC), then consider getting a transformerless DC power supply (aka Telecomms charger) - you might need to modify it though to put out a higher than preset voltage suitable for proper battery charging in sync with your inverter.

A better alternative if money is not an object is the Axpert type e.g Zinox IpowerPlus inverter often showcased here by Pranil - the 48v version can put out up to 60amps DC- we use it in our family house to recharge a depleted 48v 200ah bank within 5 hours to battery float/nearly 100% full and the inverter is under 300k - this plus a solid mid size petrol generaror under 200k will give you a reliable backup/fall back position under 500k - even better if you already have a good diesel/petrol/gas powered generator at home.

In my experience I prefer the transformerless DC charging sources because they are more power efficient and appear to put a ligher load/less strain on small/mid size generators. I vividly remember my 8kw generator groaning painfully under the weight of my transformer based mustpower inverter trying to charge at 40amps meanwhile it carries the Zinox transformerless at 60amps without any hiccups.

Hoping to hear from the house if there are other solid transformerless DC chargers capable of >=60amps DC and sufficiently high voltage to charge a flooded battery bank.

5 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 8:12am On Aug 19, 2017
NiyiOmoIyunade:

Often the most economical fallback position is to use your generator for a few hours to tide you over those cloudy no/low sunlight days - if your inverter is slow charging (under 30amps DC), then consider getting a transformerless DC power supply (aka Telecomms charger) - you might need to modify it though to put out a higher than preset voltage suitable for proper battery charging in sync with your inverter.

A better alternative if money is not an object is the Axpert type e.g Zinox IpowerPlus inverter often showcased here by Pranil - the 48v version can put out up to 60amps DC- we use it in our family house to recharge a depleted 48v 200ah bank within 5 hours to battery float/nearly 100% full and the inverter is under 300k - this plus a solid mid size petrol generaror under 200k will give you a reliable backup/fall back position under 500k - even better if you already have a good diesel/petrol/gas powered generator at home.

In my experience I prefer the transformerless DC charging sources because they are more power efficient and appear to put a ligher load/less strain on small/mid size generators. I vividly remember my 8kw generator groaning painfully under the weight of my transformer based mustpower inverter trying to charge at 40amps meanwhile it carries the Zinox transformerless at 60amps without any hiccups.

Hoping to hear from the house if there are other solid transformerless DC chargers capable of >=60amps DC and sufficiently high voltage to charge a flooded battery bank.

You are on point k.. I see lot of Emerson/vapel telecoms
Chargers 60a but programming them to higher volts to suite flooded isn't easy and it also draws lot of current from normal sumec / elepaq generators . My alternative old school transformerless charger is 24v 40a which dosnt draw much from my 6kva Gen on cloudy days alone ... I rarely use them as I am not totally OFFGRID , my battery bank is oversized likewise my poly crystalline solar system and this compensates for upto a week dull-bad weather ...! Pranil made good points on wind turbine analysis in Nigeria .. Most you see in houses are underperforming.. Its best you use at hill top crescents , sky scrappers, beside the sea or islands & not in the tropics.. Cheers !

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by efuro(m): 8:39am On Aug 19, 2017
NiyiOmoIyunade:

Thanks to this thread, my citizens gen set has been on holidays for 15 months counting and want it dat way. Wot has been helping nowadays is 4-5hrs grid and appliances load shading.

For three months or so, I have download tons of YouTube videos of real alternative energy stuff including the self run graphite cell which voltage output i intend to use another CC to tender batteries as alternative to panels.

The need to power A/C and the cost of my vrla battery bank (which i may need to replace in a year or so is almost 500k ) is giving me a thought of moving from renewable energy to real alternative energy through assembling a self power generator comprising an alternator & driving motor as shown on various videos. However, the units I have seen so far are noisy.

Anyway, I have up to a year to work on it. in one of my post last year I made reference to batteries as the bane of solar power. Now I know consistent poor irradiance is the real culprit.

Update on the project to come soon.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by NiyiOmoIyunade(m): 1:34pm On Aug 19, 2017
For now, I believe 'perpetual energy machines' are firmly in the realm of myth akin to the "philosopher's stone" or experimental technology at best.

In converting one energy source to another, there will always be losses due to heat and system inefficiencies - and this is the bane of self powered machines - what will you feed into the system to make up for the inevitable losses during energy conversion

The 'inventor' in the link below has been soundly criticised as a scammer - curiously, he himself has not made any claims about his creation other than that it has the potential to auto run and create power indefinitely and invites people to buy and experiment with it and incorporate into their own power generation builds.

Please share some of the links you have so we can go do our own research as well - if one could get a self sustaining energy generator to work or even something that uses an infinitely available source such as fresh air or magnetic flux to create power, it would be a great breakthrough indeed.

http://www.quantamagneticstore.com/si-graphite-expansion-modules.html

efuro:

....For three months or so, I have download tons of YouTube videos of real alternative energy stuff including the self run graphite cell which voltage output i intend to use another CC to tender batteries as alternative to panels.

....giving me a thought of moving from renewable energy to real alternative energy through assembling a self power generator comprising an alternator & driving motor as shown on various videos. However, the units I have seen so far are noisy.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Nkdave: 1:39pm On Aug 19, 2017
Good day Uncle George, happy weekend.

Going by ur advice, I went to see my seller, and he told me he has 200w Belgium Mono panels for me at #33,000 each, and a PMW 12v/24v charge controller for #27,000.
Now my issue is that the panels are 24v, while my setup is a 12v setup, I'm worried the panels won't fit/work well with my 12v setup, but my seller insists that panel voltage does not have direct linkage/impact to battery or inverter voltage as long as the charge controller is 12v/24v.
How true is the above statement and please do you think Belgium panels can match up to current day china brand new.? And are those prices reasonable for the panels and the charge controller.? .... And I stay in Kaduna.
Regards.
GeorgeD1:

nkdave,
welcome on board. even though its not really advisable using trailer batteries
for inverters, since you say its a temporary solution, no problem.
to incorporate solar power for your setup, here is what you need:

170ah multiplied by 1.2 (to account for system losses) will give you: 204ah
this gives a total power output of 2448w (assuming you are draining down to
a dod of 80 to 100 percent - which may not be practical.
for a 5 hour average daily insolation, you can get by with a solar panel array
of between 400w to 600w depending on cloud cover.

as for your brother, you need to get back to us with actual nameplate power
ratings for all the equipment mentioned in your list if you want proper system
sizing advice and cost.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tivta(m): 1:53pm On Aug 19, 2017
The ultimate battery so far but at an initial price...

Simpliphi

Pros:
Extended cycle life:
SimpliPhi LFP batteries have an expected cycle life of 5000 – 10,000+ cycles. This is up to 27 years of daily deep cycling.
Lead Acid batteries typically have a maximum of 3500 cycles. This assumes the lead acid battery is only cycled to 35% Depth of Discharge (DOD) and always kept at 75ºF. The expected life cycle for most tropical installations is about 1500 cycles, or 4 years
Higher efficiency:
SimpliPhi LFP batteries are 98% efficient. This means that when you put 100 amp hours into SimpliPhi LFP batteries, you get about 98 AH back out
Lead acid batteries (flooded, GEL, AGM) are only about 80% efficient. This means that when you put 100 amp hours into lead acid batteries, you get about 80AH back out.
Very short absorb time:
SimpliPhi batteries only need to reach the absorb voltage for a few minutes before LFP batteries are fully charged. (The Absorb time should be set to 1 hour)
Lead Acid batteries need between 4 and 12 hours of absorb time. This can be difficult to achieve on solar electric systems.

Not damaged by Partial State of Charge (PSOC):
SimpliPhi batteries do not need to reach 100% State of Charge (SOC) on a regular basis.
Lead acid batteries need to be regularly charged up to 100% SOC. If not, they degrade. This may lead to starting up a generator during rainy season, and because of the 4 hour Absorb time, this can result in using a large amount of fuel.

Long shipping times, furloughs, and extended absences:
SimpliPhi batteries will not, under normal circumstances, suffer from long shipping times. The SimpliPhi batteries can also be stored unused for up to 6 months with no maintenance.
Lead acid batteries will degrade after only 3 months in shipping. Furloughs and extended absences can also damage lead acid batteries
High temperature operation:
SimpliPhi batteries can be operated at any temperature between 32ºF and 120ºF, with no degradation.
Lead acid batteries cycle life will degrade quicker at higher temperatures. For every 15ºF above 75ºF the cycle life of a lead acid battery is reduced by half.

Lightweight:
At 33lbs each, a typical SimpliPhi battery bank (6) will weigh about 200lbs.
A typical lead acid battery can weight 180 lbs. each, and a battery bank can weigh over 650lbs.

Add Additional Batteries:
Additional SimpliPhi LFP batteries can be added at any time.
You cannot add new lead acid batteries to an existing battery bank, all lead acid batteries should be the exact same size and age.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pranil(m): 5:36pm On Aug 19, 2017
NiyiOmoIyunade:

I am doing, in fact, the same a more advanced version

1- 5 x 2 10 KVA Ipower in parallel on battery bank for 4 AC's +Washing machine and dryer Charged with power gen 2.5 KW 3 phase charger - plus 3 KW Solar through built-in MPPT - rarely more than 2 Ac's are on but the peak capacity is designed when children or house help unknowingly will switch on W/C , dryer, and AC - The system simply switches off on Battery low voltage ( set at 49.5 V)

The other set is Victron 5 KW/ 2.5 KW solar with supplying critical load, fridge plus lighting computer TV etc. - Since the bank is shared the critical loads are backed up till as the battery is never depleted below 50 % due to charger and gen combo When battery is full the Ipower inverters kick in again

the gen is on AUTOstart with Victron Venus GX and self-made ATS switch control panel

My research for LIon is to change Victron to its independent bank. But looks like I will have to wait till prices drop. ( no space for Lead acid)

I have 3 chargers 48 V -20/ 50 Amp single phase in case somebody is interested in buying. I bought a high-efficiency charger and hence three are redundant - I am using this now The PowerGen charger - http://www.batterychargerpowergen.eu/en/prodotti-alta-frequenza/ - 90 % efficiency and available up to 200 amps

In case somebody wants to buy - current price links are below - make a reasonable offer

One is with pulse and battery recovery 48 V 20 Amps perfect for 200 AH - https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6716059717.html

Another is pure taper charging which works also as power supply - perfect for 400 AH or higher - similar to this - but 50 Amps with normal cable and UK plug was 268 USD when I bought it last year
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Lead-acid-Battery-Charger-48-Volt-10-Amp-EU-plug-with-XLR/32693316126.html

The third is actually from a reputed manufacturer - mean well ( expertize in electronics is needed for this as It has control and set point pins which need to be wired)
https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/7786307566.html

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DUNKA(m): 6:09pm On Aug 19, 2017
Good day house,

I currently have a 60 inch LG Plasma TV which is a wattage guzzling monster.

In the market for a more energy efficient model of any brand sized 50 inches and above.

Any advise /pointer would be really appreciated.

Regards
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tivta(m): 6:45pm On Aug 19, 2017
DUNKA:
Good day house,

In the market for a more energy efficient model of any brand sized 50 inches and above.

Regards

The best would be oled (but very expensive) followed by led(full led) third is lcd. The issue is the larger the screen the more power it consumes (oled however manages to reduce power consumption).
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by sgtponzihater1(m): 7:03pm On Aug 19, 2017
DUNKA:
Good day house,

Regards

What's its year of production?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DUNKA(m): 7:40pm On Aug 19, 2017
sgtponzihater1:

What's its year of production?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by xij38580: 9:53pm On Aug 19, 2017
Good evening all,

I'd like to dispose the following items . Location GBAGADA , Lagos. Delivery can be made to outside lagos also.
1)iCell 12V 1.5KVA Inverter (50k) AVAILABLE
2)Two 200W CSUN solar panels(25k each) AVAILABLE
3)Circuit breaker (2k each) AVAILABLE
4)Epever MPPT solar charge controller (35k) SOLD
5)Kilowatt-Hour Energy Meter (5k) SOLD

Thank you.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JUO(m): 5:26am On Aug 20, 2017
DUNKA:
Good day house,

Regards
if you are not bothered about picture quality get android tv they are energy efficient. If you are get LG or Samsung 4k less than 600k for 50-65" or get a toks for around 200-350k. Oled is the most efficient but price is over 1m for the bigger size or get a toks for 400-600k. If your budget is less than 300k look for any Chinese 4k. Please note if you getting toks be sure is not more than 2 years old, that is 2015 upward

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (278) (279) (280) (281) (282) (283) (284) ... (1691) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: prestige2013, HeavenlyBang(m), ksmart027(m), Debroslink, alstacs(m), tsiriman(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 138
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.