Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,814 members, 7,817,360 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:56 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (297) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2060461 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (294) (295) (296) (297) (298) (299) (300) ... (1692) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bigrovar(m): 1:46am On Oct 12, 2017
Obimind1:

The batteries that went bad were Gel batteries, but presently my batteries are AGM.
Ahhhhh.. No wonder they died in 8 months. Of all the lead acid battery type. Gel is the most finicky when it comes to charging. Gel batteries are notorious for having low rate of charge and discharge and are very choosy of the type of charger u use and can be damaged with high voltage has you have experienced. In fact most gel batteries cycles between 13.2-14.1 and they tolerate no form of equalization whatsoever.

Let your experience be a cautionary tale for everyone reading this. Research matters alot. If you can't so the research get a competent installer to do it for you. The downside of jumping into solar is getting your hands and pocket burnt. The problem is not mppt or pwm its the fact that u didn't have enough knowledge on battery types and their recommended charge profile. I sold my first controller because it was not capable of properly equalizing my batteries. I got one which had adjustable change profile settings. If u want to go DIY u have to know and understand every single aspect of the game. Battery type and their charge profile, controller Pv cabling load type of inverters every single thing a mistake in one aspect can leave your system failing u in a short time. The 2 batteries I got when I started my offgrid journey are still running going 2 years now and they are doing very great. All those readings did pay off

9 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 8:36am On Oct 12, 2017
Call us for your neat solar and inverter installations @affordable price, we also sell renewable energy products such as inverters, battery rack, batteries, charge controller and solar panels.
You can also check out our previous installations on facebook.com/monzpowersolutions

Call 08117398294 nw for enquiries.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by SolnergyPower: 10:00am On Oct 12, 2017
Sunshine Solar Panels For Sale (Wholesale Price)

Sunshine Solar Panels

Mono Price List

300w mono: ₦60,000
250w mono: ₦50:000
200w mono: ₦41,000
150w mono: ₦32,000
130w mono: ₦...
120w mono: ₦25,000
100w mono: ₦23,000
80w mono: ₦19,000

Poly Prices List

300w poly: ₦53,000
250w poly: ₦48,000
200w poly: ₦39,000
150w poly: ₦29,000
130w poly: ₦21,000
100w poly: ₦...
80w poly: ₦18,000

Call/WhatsApp: 0803-334-3911. Calls: 0803-860-4143, 0705-315-7206.
eMail: Solar@SolnergyPower.com
Facebook: https://web.facebook.com/SolnergyPower/

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by adewasco2k(m): 10:38am On Oct 12, 2017
My setup and advise on improvement or do good maintenance?

PV array: 2 piece of 130w mono
30ah CC
250ah 12v battery - Lifepo4 battery
1kva Inverter

So far everything works great!

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by foonshur(m): 12:10pm On Oct 12, 2017
brethren... I don come with my questions again o
pls can the charging state of a cc affect the charging state of the inverter.
I ask becos a friends TriStar45 will normally indicate high voltage disconnect just after about 3 hours of charging and about 15mins later, the inverter stops charging too(meaning ba3 is full). Nw jst after 8 months, doz ba3s r gone. So I'm thinking maybe d cc is sending wrong info to the inverter or d ba3s r not good to begin with.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by efuro(m): 5:58pm On Oct 12, 2017
adewasco2k:

30ah CC
1kva Inverter

Congratulations
Let's celebrate with pictures of ur instalation too

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by efuro(m): 6:28pm On Oct 12, 2017
foonshur:
brethren... I don come with my questions again o
pls can the charging state of a cc affect the charging state of the inverter.
I ask becos a friends TriStar45 will normally indicate high voltage disconnect just after about 3 hours of charging and about 15mins later, the inverter stops charging too(meaning ba3 is full). Nw jst after 8 months, doz ba3s r gone. So I'm thinking maybe d cc is sending wrong info to the inverter or d ba3s r not good to begin with.

I have not used TriStar 45 but I know it is a powerful CC and it should have GT Mode function.

I will advice u state the type of ur inverter or snap both cc & inverter so dat those with similar type can assist you with settings.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pranil(m): 8:33pm On Oct 12, 2017
zeestone99:
Call us for your neat solar and inverter installations @affordable price, we also sell renewable energy products such as inverters, battery rack, batteries, charge controller and solar panels.
You can also check out our previous installations on facebook.com/monzpowersolutions

Call 08117398294 nw for enquiries.

It looks like the electrician in the picture is using his pliers to twist two solar cables together. Correct me If I am wrong . There is nothing else with the solar installation which requires pliers.
I have long frowned on such practice. The correct way to do is use MC4 connectors and couplers with their low price there is really no excuse

4 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pranil(m): 8:35pm On Oct 12, 2017
adewasco2k:

30ah CC
1kva Inverter

Are u not using a BMS with Lifepo4 is the CC and inverter capable of handling LIfepo4? Otherwise, you are reducing the life of the battery . Lifepo4 charge and discharge have to be adjusted based on battery temperature
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pranil(m): 8:37pm On Oct 12, 2017
efuro:

I have not used TriStar 45 but I know it is a powerful CC and it should have GT Mode function.

I will advise u state the type of ur inverter or snap both cc & inverter so dat those with similar type can assist you with settings.

If the Tristar was started with Solar PV first before the battery was connected it might have registered wrong battery type of voltage specially with the discharged battery.

Check the dip switch settings for battery type and voltage as Auto settings sometimes get fooled

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 9:55pm On Oct 12, 2017
Obimind1:
Its been over a month now, I lost my batteries and my charge controller(60ah mppt) all at the same time under 8months of usage. It was a tough time for me though, but the truth was that I had no one to run to. I managed to get a set of new batteries which will clock one month on the 19th of this month. I also had to fall back to my 30ah and 20ah pwm charge controller which I dumped sometime ago. Now this are my findings: I noticed that my pwm seem to have an effective cut off strength compared to my mppt cc. My pwm does not exceed 28.2v at peak Sun periods and even when I'm charging my batteries with national grid power(Phcn), but when I was using my mppt I noticed that at peak periods my cc voltage rises up to 30v and every 28 day of the month it shows that its equalizing at this point my battery voltage rises to 32v during peak Sun hours. To cut the long story short I lost my batteries and my precious 60ah mppt cc under eight months. My charge controller started showing (battery OVD). Now I'm starting all over again. I must say I learnt my lessons the hard way. Had I known I would have maintained my pwm which I was using conveniently for over a year b4 going mppt. If I am to go the mppt way again, I have to do a lot of research to know what capacity of mppt cc will be efficient for my 24v set up.

A good reason first-timers are advised to use starter batteries. The learning curve can be steep. And quite expensive, literally and figuratively. Thank God you didn't have a fire nor any of the other possible hazards.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by foonshur(m): 10:44pm On Oct 12, 2017
efuro:

I will advice u state the type of ur inverter or snap both cc & inverter so dat those with similar type can assist you with settings.
pranil:

If the Tristar was started with Solar PV first before the battery was connected it might have registered wrong battery type of voltage specially with the discharged battery.

Check the dip switch settings for battery type and voltage as Auto settings sometimes get fooled
downloaded and read the manual for the TriStar 45 and to my amazement, it was stated categorically that there are no set charging settings for the sealed maintenance free ba3s as they are "unreliable". guess we'll have to go with custom settings and please what voltages would u recommend for the bulk, absorb and float charging states.
And my question still remains, even if the cc is confused as to how to charge the ba3s effectively, is that suppose to affect how the inverter charges the ba3s too? (its a SKG inverter, 1.5kva 24volts)
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 11:04pm On Oct 12, 2017
kiekie1:
HURRY ! DiSCOUNTED PRICES !!!

Yachi solar panels

MONO-
310w. N60,000
260w. N53,000
150w. N32,000
140w. N31,000
100w. N25,000
80w. N22,000

Must Powerstar inverters (VIL series)

1000w 12v. N85,000
1500w 12v. N95,000
3000w 24v. N150,000
4000w 48v. N220,000
5000w 48v. N250,000
6000w 48v. N300,000

EP Solar itracer 60amps mppt N130,000

Order now 0.8.1.3.5.0.3.19.5.1

Promo still ON smiley ... Thanks for your patronage Sir's !

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pranil(m): 1:14am On Oct 13, 2017
foonshur:

downloaded and read the manual for the TriStar 45 and to my amazement, it was stated categorically that there are no set charging settings for the sealed maintenance free ba3s as they are "unreliable". guess we'll have to go with custom settings and please what voltages would u recommend for the bulk, absorb and float charging states.
And my question still remains, even if the cc is confused as to how to charge the ba3s effectively, is that suppose to affect how the inverter charges the ba3s too? (its a SKG inverter, 1.5kva 24volts)

I am a bit confused about ba3 . is it a type of battery or manufacturer name- A quick google search revealed only OLX ads and Nairaland. What is the make of battery? you may find the recommended settings on the manufacturer's web page
Knowing battery chemistry is important before making the settings

see this link on morningstars webpage - https://www.morningstarcorp.com/morningstar-best-practices-battery-chemistry/

another excellent source is - http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_the_lead_acid_battery

I am doubtful if the SKG has temperature compensation or four stage adaptive charging looking at the picture.
Good settings in morningstar should keep your battery at peak performance
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Chuckdee(m): 1:50am On Oct 13, 2017
pranil:

I am a bit confused about ba3 . is it a type of battery or manufacturer name- A quick google search revealed only OLX ads and Nairaland. What is the make of battery? you may find the recommended settings on the manufacturer's web page

see this link on morningstars webpage - https://www.morningstarcorp.com/morningstar-best-practices-battery-chemistry/

another excellent source is - http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_the_lead_acid_battery

I am doubtful if the SKG has temperature compensation or four stage adaptive charging looking at the picture.

Laughing real hard at the bolded grin grin. ba3=battery (the present indomie generation has sworn to create an acronym for every conceived word )

4 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by idsolar(m): 5:15am On Oct 13, 2017
Hello house. I still have these 2 charge controllers for sale.

1.Roysolar charge controller 12/24v 60amp

2. Roysolar 12/24v 20amp

Interested? Call/sms/whasapp 08033735359.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by foonshur(m): 6:38am On Oct 13, 2017
pranil:

thanks for the links, will definitely check them out. Battery make is Okaya.
And I'm also sorry for the confusion caused. Ba3 = Battery.
Mr Chuckdee, walahi I no be indomie generation.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 6:57pm On Oct 13, 2017
pranil:

It looks like the electrician in the picture is using his pliers to twist two solar cables together. Correct me If I am wrong . There is nothing else with the solar installation which requires pliers.
I have long frowned on such practice. The correct way to do is use MC4 connectors and couplers with their low price there is really no excuse

Sumtymes d cutter can b far away, We use pliers to peel and cut also.. Thnks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Obascoetubi: 8:25pm On Oct 13, 2017
Obimind1:

The batteries that went bad were Gel batteries, but presently my batteries are AGM.
how good is gel battery vs Agm battery?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 8:40pm On Oct 13, 2017
Obimind1:

good choice. some agm batteries can actually take up to 50c charging current.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Obascoetubi: 8:55pm On Oct 13, 2017
GeorgeD1:

good choice. some agm batteries can actually take up to 50c charging current.
which one are u using?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 9:22am On Oct 14, 2017
Obascoetubi,

i'm using agm batteries. quite rugged, i tell u.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pranil(m): 5:13pm On Oct 14, 2017
foonshur:

thanks for the links, will definitely check them out. Battery make is Okaya.
And I'm also sorry for the confusion caused. Ba3 = Battery.
Mr Chuckdee, walahi I no be indomie generation.

smiley Okaya is Indian Brand but the website does not inspire confidence - NO datasheets or charge curves. I have sent them a message for datasheet. Let's see if they respond

https://www.okayapower.com/shop/smf/ob-200-12-2/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by foonshur(m): 9:10pm On Oct 14, 2017
pranil:

smiley Okaya is Indian Brand but the website does not inspire confidence - NO datasheets or charge curves. I have sent them a message for datasheet. Let's see if they respond

https://www.okayapower.com/shop/smf/ob-200-12-2/
I can't thank you enough
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Valto(m): 10:06am On Oct 15, 2017
RE: pls house. i have 2pcs 200w(sunshine) and 1pc 150w(focus) mono panels. i want to buy one more panel to make it 4 pcs, to be connected to a 30amps mppt cc with a 24v pure sine inverter. whats the best option for me? should i buy 1 more 150w or 200w panel? whats the best series connection for me?

Oshomo12:

Upload the specs of the two panels, stating all voltages and the currents u see at back of the panels.
i av gotten the spec of the 150w panel
current at pmax (IM) =8.20A
voltage at pmax (VOC) =18.30V
short circuit current (ISC) =8.72A
poen circuit voltage (VOC) =22.40V

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JohnKester: 12:05pm On Oct 15, 2017
Suppliers/Dealers/Engineers etc in the house.

I am in need of a Pure Sine Wave Inverter (inverter only). I do not need the charger as I live completely off-grid and charge my batteries with my PV arrays only. I have a backup generator, but I do not charge the batteries with it. It is purely for backup. The capacity of the Pure Sine Wave Inverter only should be between 6KW and 8KW, and able to power submersible pumps, refrigerators, air conditioners, pressing irons, washing machines, dryers and other household appliances and office equipment. It should also be able to power small power tools such as drilling and cutting machines

The inverter should be a low self-consumption inverter.

Cheers
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by israelpalatoe(m): 6:29pm On Oct 15, 2017
What is your battery configurations. Volts and Ah.
What is the solar array capacity?
Do you intend to run all the mentioned loads simultaneously?
Thanks.
JohnKester:

I am in need of a Pure Sine Wave Inverter (inverter only). I do not need the charger as I live completely off-grid and charge my batteries with my PV arrays only. I have a backup generator, but I do not charge the batteries with it. It is purely for backup. The capacity of the Pure Sine Wave Inverter only should be between 6KW and 8KW, and able to power submersible pumps, refrigerators, air conditioners, pressing irons, washing machines, dryers and other household appliances and office equipment. It should also be able to power small power tools such as drilling and cutting machines

Cheers
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 8:15pm On Oct 15, 2017
JohnKester:

Cheers

For detailed enquiries - 0.8.1.3.5.0.3.1.9.5.1

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mcTrinity(m): 9:43pm On Oct 15, 2017
JohnKester:

Cheers

Hmmmmm... all the loads has "s" to them. Not just one of each but many of each.

why not kukuma use the inverter and power the generator too

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mcTrinity(m): 9:44pm On Oct 15, 2017
idsolar:

2. Roysolar 12/24v 20amp

prices please... and picture too if possible
thanks
cheers

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by tsmall(m): 11:07pm On Oct 15, 2017
tsmall:
Hi guys, The following inverter spare parts or board are available :

Schneider Inverter

Xantrex Inverter

Outback Inverter

Magnum Inverter.

Call Deji 07033311179.

Thank you.

Thanks for the calls.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by idsolar(m): 7:38am On Oct 16, 2017
mcTrinity:

prices please... and picture too if possible
thanks
cheers

- N35,000

2. Roysolar 12/24v 20amp - N5,000

(1) (2) (3) ... (294) (295) (296) (297) (298) (299) (300) ... (1692) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: Polaris1, damilonya(m), sintolord(m), alosbaba007(m) and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.