Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,873 members, 7,813,974 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:07 PM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (294) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2053183 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (291) (292) (293) (294) (295) (296) (297) ... (1686) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by fogechi: 9:38am On Oct 01, 2017
Pls i need digital battery level indicator
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dam5reey(m): 10:34am On Oct 01, 2017
fogechi:
Pls i need digital battery level indicator

Something like this?

This was a small set up for 3 (5W 5V bulbs), also 1 charging point for phones..

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by fogechi: 12:16pm On Oct 01, 2017
Dam5reey:

Something like this?

This was a small set up for 3 (5W 5V bulbs), also 1 charging point for phones..

something that can show me in %age the level of my battery
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Barezzi(m): 1:29pm On Oct 01, 2017
fogechi:

Contact JUO. He's got a BMV 700 victron energy.

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 10:07pm On Oct 01, 2017
DMerciful:
Oga GeorgeD1,

Battery replacement has been the biggest cost in offgrid systems for most people but somehow you have managed to draw appreciable longevity from your batteries. kindly educate us how you do this as well as telling us the configuration, brand, and maintenance strategy for these batteries.
I know you use Zenith but fake zenith abound now and i also know your previous batteries lasted long before replacement with 260AH zenith.
We need to learn as i got frustrated from premature failures and went lithium.

hello dmerciful,
the secret to battery longevity is spread over a range of factors. it has everything to do with the battery type, charge
controller type, inverter type and usage habits. like i said in my last post, having a high end inverter which incorporates
a battery monitor system (bms) certainly has helped preserve my batteries by ensuring they never get depleted beyond
a preset value - and this works regardless of whether i'm home or not. with my previous inverter, i had to leave specific
instructions for my folks to follow whenever i'm going out of town. and this was always subject to abuse.
besides the bms and high end inverter, my wiring configuration also plays a huge role. i have four batteries wired in series
to make up 48v and three of these joined together with equal length of cable to make 12 batteries. in effect its like having
3 separate battery banks operating independently. this configuration ensures each bank receives an equal amount of
charging current from the cc while charging and also gives out equal amount of load current while discharging.
as for cc, i guess the saying that you get what you pay for is true especially for solar. in my experience, a large number of
the so-called cheap and pocket friendly controllers flooding the market these days are nothing but battery killers. they
either consistently undercharge or overcharge your batteries leading to premature failure. i have been using the tristar for
over seven years now and over this period i'm happy to see best in class performance in terms of charging algorithm. until
recently of course when i was forced to incorporate the midnite classic due to my solar array upgrade exigency.
lastly, i carry out yearly turn around maintenance on my battery bank. by this i mean battery rotation. i load test them to
confirm each battery's condition of health.

9 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 8:17am On Oct 02, 2017
Thanks....will definitely reapply these.
GeorgeD1:

hello dmerciful,
the secret to battery longevity is spread over a range of factors. it has everything to do with the battery type, charge
controller type, inverter type and usage habits. like i said in my last post, having a high end inverter which incorporates
a battery monitor system (bms) certainly has helped preserve my batteries by ensuring they never get depleted beyond
a preset value - and this works regardless of whether i'm home or not. with my previous inverter, i had to leave specific
instructions for my folks to follow whenever i'm going out of town. and this was always subject to abuse.
besides the bms and high end inverter, my wiring configuration also plays a huge role. i have four batteries wired in series
to make up 48v and three of these joined together with equal length of cable to make 12 batteries. in effect its like having
3 separate battery banks operating independently. this configuration ensures each bank receives an equal amount of
charging current from the cc while charging and also gives out equal amount of load current while discharging.
as for cc, I guess the saying that you get what you pay for is true especially for solar. in my experience, a large number of the so-called cheap and pocket friendly controllers flooding the market these days are nothing but battery killers. they either consistently undercharge or overcharge your batteries leading to premature failure. I have been using the tristar for over seven years now and over this period I'm happy to see best in class performance in terms of charging algorithm. until recently of course when I was forced to incorporate the midnite classic due to my solar array upgrade exigency.
lastly, i carry out yearly turn around maintenance on my battery bank. by this i mean battery rotation. i load test them to
confirm each battery's condition of health.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by idsolar(m): 8:53am On Oct 02, 2017
Hello house. I still have these 2 charge controllers for sale.

1.Roysolar charge controller 12/24v 60a

2. Roysolar 12/24v 20a

Interested? Call/sms/whasapp 08033735359.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JUO(m): 10:02am On Oct 02, 2017
JUO:
Flex max 80a fangpusun 165k
Flex max 60a fangpusun 145k
50a-12/24v 45k. 60k with remote
30a-12/24v 35k. 47k with remote
epever 30a+MT50 12/24v (CN) 46k
epever 30a 12/24v 43k
epever 40a 12/24v 56k
BMV 702 FANGPUSUN 42K
PROGRAMMABLE Digital timer 15/16a 5k din rail
PROGRAMMABLE Digital timer 25a 6k din rail/wall mount
Midnite Classic 96a 12-72v hybrid 300k
MidNite Solar MNSPD-300-DC 45k
080-987-337-09
First come first served
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 10:30am On Oct 02, 2017
fogechi:

Hello, Dam5reey sent u a simpler version which accurately reads battery voltage and you can always deduce SOC & DOD LBCO volt of your system ! I use same for years & it rarely dissapoints .. Cheers!!

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Talibanis: 11:49am On Oct 02, 2017
idsolar:
Hello house. I still have these 2 charge controllers for sale.

1.Roysolar charge controller 12/24v 60a

2. Roysolar 12/24v 20a

Interested? Call/sms/whasapp 08033735359.
Why not state ur price here so we will know if its necessary to put a call thru? undecided

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by curvilicious: 9:01pm On Oct 02, 2017
RipVanWink:

Maam.u don waka reach here..
In addition to what the other fellow said.
U need to itemize all loads u intend to put on the system..determine how many hours they run.state the wattage also..so we can hv a clearer pic of ur setup....thats the proper way to do it...so u hv a well designed and balanced system.

The solar is also tied to the assignment above.
How many hrs of phcn do u get daily?

I reach here o.
The terms got me confused
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JohnKester: 8:50am On Oct 03, 2017
DMerciful:
Nicely put. Interesting to know you are now offgrid, this i wanted badly but due to space consideration in my current location i am still stuck with 1000W.

Regarding premature battery failure, sometimes there are many factors other than load why battery fails. for instance under-utilizing a battery might cause memory effect so it may be necessary to discharge appreciably once in a while and also equalize including AGM except gel. also there are a lot of fake batteries out there. Many inverters in the market have poor charging systems that cuts of before the batteries are fully charged thereby loosing capacity progressively.

but a general challenge is the high susceptibility of lead acid to failure especially if not well managed and maintained and this know-how might be too much for the average user and as such i strongly recommend the rugged lithium iron phosphate with upto 80% DOD with negligible capacity loss as well as absence of memory effect and acceptable high current draw. Mine is delivering like kilode!

DMerciful

From what I read from Trojan literature regarding their flooded batteries, they were very emphatic that their flooded batteries DO NOT develop any form of memory at all. Is there a new development contrary to their assertion. Please let us know!

Cheers

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by harveyspec: 12:06pm On Oct 03, 2017
kiekie1:

Hello, Dam5reey sent u a simpler version which accurately reads battery voltage and you can always deduce SOC & DOD LBCO volt of your system ! I use same for years & it rarely dissapoints .. Cheers!!

pls can I see a picture of this
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 9:31am On Oct 06, 2017
harveyspec:

Its exactly same Dam5reey posted above ... It actually reads DC voltages (120vdc max) .. I have few units remaining if interested !

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DMerciful(m): 9:47pm On Oct 06, 2017
Dont know about trojan but lead acid generally has been said to suffer from memory effect.
JohnKester:

DMerciful

From what I read from Trojan literature regarding their flooded batteries, they were very emphatic that their flooded batteries DO NOT develop any form of memory at all. Is there a new development contrary to their assertion. Please let us know!

Cheers
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by abunafiu(m): 11:39pm On Oct 06, 2017
kiekie1:

Its exactly same Dam5reey posted above ... It actually reads DC voltages (120vdc max) .. I have few units remaining if interested !

Me Frank, I dey imagine the speed at which you will wake up from bed if you just that led volt meter display 23.0v by 2am.
I bet you you develop all kinds of fever.
Lol.
I love the monitoring device sha. The location you kept is just funny to me.

Been a while Bro. I am good sha. Trust you're as well. Cheers.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by efuro(m): 7:32am On Oct 07, 2017
harveyspec:

Are you running DC volts AC?

And do you have idea of the difference BTW
Low voltage AC and inverter AC(compressor-less AC).

angry angry angry

Anyway any independence Awuoof sales?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by harveyspec: 8:47am On Oct 07, 2017
efuro:

And do you have idea of the difference BTW Low voltage AC and inverter AC(compressor-less AC).
angry angry angry

don't see how these questions apply to me o
na DC battery monitor I request to see o
i nor see how compressor con enter the matter

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by harveyspec: 8:49am On Oct 07, 2017
efuro:

And do you have idea of the difference BTW Low voltage AC and inverter AC(compressor-less AC).
angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 9:01am On Oct 07, 2017
abunafiu:

Me Frank, I dey imagine the speed at which you will wake up from bed if you just that led volt meter display 23.0v by 2am.
I bet you you develop all kinds of fever.
Lol.
I love the monitoring device sha. The location you kept is just funny to me.

Been a while Bro. I am good sha. Trust you're as well. Cheers.

Hello Sir, quite a while ! My oversized set-up rarely drops to that volt as I use (1hp-1.5hp split AC only when batt bank SOC is 100%) . Moreover, inverter has same DOD feature as George D magnum 4348 .. My battery bank comprises of 24v 600a"2×3 strings copper busbar connect" USA batteries & 2400kw solar module array"300w×8 looped on PV combiner box " ... Mppt floats daily and no issues for 2-3 years counting even when I leave my Samsung inverter compressor fridge ON 24hrs wink .. Sure you are doing great , Cheers !!!

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by efuro(m): 11:29am On Oct 07, 2017
harveyspec:

harveyspec:

kiekie1:

grin just referencing the "AC" under DC meter as shown by sir Frankie.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by oneshowguy: 7:15pm On Oct 07, 2017
Saipro:

Hi saipro ,

You can contact me on 08123329521

Thank you

Can I have your local contact details?

GSM: zero-eight-zero-39612147
WhatsApp: zero-eight-zero-23902305
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by oneshowguy: 7:34pm On Oct 07, 2017
Wow 5 years , that's really a catch for me.

I think most of the battery failures are caused as a result of neglect from the users . many people expect solar installation setups to operate like phcn without any form of maintenance.

GeorgeD1:

barrezi,
high end inverters like magnum come with a battery monitor system (bms) as an add-on. this carries out the lvd function among others thereby protecting your system.
i can't count the number of times the bms has intervened to protect my batteries so far and in hind sight, maybe its another reason my batteries have gone nearly five years and still performing as new.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by oneshowguy: 8:02pm On Oct 07, 2017
A system you can count on

The ALMADEN 60-cell module offers reliable and durable energy generation for your home or business.

The heat strengthened dual-glass design enables lower degradation rates and higher annual and lifetime energy production that is ~25 percent higher than traditional framed modules.

Combined with its industry-leading 30-year linear power warranty, the ALMADEN enhanced performance leads to greater and quicker energy savings and faster ROI than standard solar panels.

NOW AVAILABLE IN 265W ......75,000 NAIRA

For enquiries ..... 08123329521 or michael@back2back.ae

https://www.back2back.ae

1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by idsolar(m): 11:59pm On Oct 07, 2017
Who say sun no good. My modest upgrade to 1040w early august with rain/cloud overhang just clock cummulatv delivery of 100kw. Chai how much i for pay nepa for this? Solar is d way jo

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by idsolar(m): 5:14am On Oct 08, 2017
Who say sun no good. My modest upgrade to 1040w early august with rain/cloud overhang just clock cummulatv delivery of 100kw. Chai how much i for pay nepa for this? Solar is d way jo.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Barezzi(m): 6:03am On Oct 08, 2017
idsolar:
Who say sun no good. My modest upgrade to 1040w early august with rain/cloud overhang just clock cummulatv delivery of 100kw. Chai how much i for pay nepa for this? Solar is d way jo.

At about N24 per kwh, na only N2,400.
Barely enough for a bottle of wine.

How much your upgrade cost you? tongue

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by idsolar(m): 6:04am On Oct 08, 2017
Who say sun no good. My modest upgrade to 1040w early august with rain/cloud overhang just clock cummulatv delivery of 100kw. Chai how much i for pay nepa for this? Solar is d way jo

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by efuro(m): 8:05am On Oct 08, 2017
Barezzi:

For most of us here, lowering electricity cost is just a bonus of going solar. I believe the independence to use or the freedom to use electricity at will (not just rationed by an inefficient provider) is inspiring us.

Congratulations on your harvest, i know on this forum ur feat is just 4-5 days harvest of some. What am congratulating u for is generating ur needs whether it's 4.5kw/day or 21.9kw/day both ways ur covering ur electricity consumption - ur independence, ur freedom from regimented life.

So Oga idsolar, like Barezzi mentioned earlier, buy urself a fine bottle of wine and well sauced chicken suya for celebration at least that would have been the money pocketed by disco.

I will join ur celebration from here!

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by bodejohn(m): 8:34am On Oct 08, 2017
Barezzi:

Electricity is rediculously cheap in Nigeria.
One of the reasons why availability and stability will continue to elude us. Several years ago...I told a friend in Czech Republic how much I pay in a month for power, he couldn't believe it until I added that I only get a few hours supply each day, even at that, he was so so surprised.

Imagine how many investors will invest here with this slim profit margin. Many of the discos would have been out of business if we had strong regulatory bodies.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by GeorgeD1(m): 12:21pm On Oct 08, 2017
Barezzi:

barrezi,
cost is only a tiny fraction of what comes into play when going for renewable energy.
let me flip the question the other way round: what is the cost of staying in darkness?
i guess the answer is zero naira? so if cost is our only consideration we might as well
decide to save the huge amount we have invested so far and remain in darkness while
waiting for the elusive phcn to supply us power whenever they deem fit. however, will
that be a good option? no?
so here comes the fuel guzzling, noisy generator to fill in the
gap for those long hours almighty phcn decides to keep us in darkness. and this is where
it gets really interesting: if mr idsolar had been running his generator for this length of
time (august till date) commensurate with the up-time of his charge controller, he
certainly would have spent enough money on fuel to buy his solar system all over again.

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pranil(m): 1:16pm On Oct 08, 2017
GeorgeD1:

barrezi,
cost is only a tiny fraction of what comes into play when going for renewable energy.
let me flip the question the other way round: what is the cost of staying in darkness?
i guess the answer is zero naira? so if cost is our only consideration we might as well
decide to save the huge amount we have invested so far and remain in darkness while
waiting for the elusive phcn to supply us power whenever they deem fit. however, will
that be a good option? no?
so here comes the fuel guzzling, noisy generator to fill in the
gap for those long hours almighty phcn decides to keep us in darkness. and this is where
it gets really interesting: if mr idsolar had been running his generator for this length of
time (august till date) commensurate with the up-time of his charge controller, he
certainly would have spent enough money on fuel to buy his solar system all over again.

I agree. I may only one of the few who is praying for cost of NEPA to go up so more people see the light and invest in solar ( not as a replacement of generator but something which makes commercial sense)

A diesel generator on average will cost 60 NGN/KWh considering diesel at 200 NGN/ltr. This is independent of diesel. Small diesels in the rage of 5 to 40 KVA will cots on top of that approximately 30 to 50 NGN /KWH depending on the load factor.
Considering with 3 KWH /KW of solar panel on average it takes 3-4 years before your investment starts making the profit . With correctly sized lithium this period dramatically reduces to 2 years a or less due to efficiency of Lithium

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (291) (292) (293) (294) (295) (296) (297) ... (1686) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: Valto(m), Elkrypto(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.