Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,456 members, 7,816,061 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:40 AM

Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA - Satellite TV Technology (302) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA (2057102 Views)

UPS Back-up, Also A Complement To FTA / FTA Frequency / Cctv Installation A Complement To Fta And Solar Energy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (299) (300) (301) (302) (303) (304) (305) ... (1690) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dicksonadams(m): 8:47pm On Oct 25, 2017
Guys please I need your recommendation

I was previously using an mpower 200ah battery and after 2 year the guy man no dey last reach 1hr again.

Please can the guru in the house recommend a strong battery to buy

Thanks in advance
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 11:57pm On Oct 25, 2017
dicksonadams:

I was previously using an mpower 200ah battery and after 2 year the guy man no dey last reach 1hr again.

Thanks in advance
Try quanta, Whatapp 08117398294 for options nd price
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by earthrealm(m): 5:23am On Oct 26, 2017
dicksonadams:

Thanks in advance

if its just a 1 battery setup...then it will always fail within 1,2,or 3 yrs... as most users usually exceed the manufacturere recharge cycles soon enuff. 2 batt setup also suffers the same fate...
only way you can prevent such is if you have an intelligent inverter with dod switch..wch u will set to 40 or 50% so it stops draining your battery when it gets to that level.
a 12v 200ah battery contains roughly 2kwh energy factoring in losses and inefficiency, at 50% dod u now hv 1000w, so it can only power a 100w load for 10hrs, 200w load for 5hrs, 300w load for 3hrs etc

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by mcTrinity(m): 6:28am On Oct 26, 2017
dicksonadams:

Thanks in advance

Deka
Zenith
Gaston
Quanta
Ritar
Sukam
Safepower
Luminous
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Dam5reey(m): 7:30am On Oct 26, 2017
earthrealm:

if its just a 1 battery setup...then it will always fail within 1,2,or 3 yrs... as most users usually exceed the manufacturere recharge cycles soon enuff. 2 batt setup also suffers the same fate...
only way you can prevent such is if you have an intelligent inverter with dod switch..wch u will set to 40 or 50% so it stops draining your battery when it gets to that level.
a 12v 200ah battery contains roughly 2kwh energy factoring in losses and inefficiency, at 50% dod u now hv 1000w, so it can only power a 100w load for 10hrs, 200w load for 5hrs, 300w load for 3hrs etc
In addition...
If you discharge at higher amperage you get lower back up time 100w load will give you about 11 hours, 200watts 4 hours and 300watts about 2hours...

A 20HR rated 200AH battery should not be discharged at more that 130Watts (10A)
If your load is 300watts then recommended battery is 2* 200AH
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 12:05pm On Oct 26, 2017
dicksonadams:

Thanks in advance

Hello, if you are a flooded battery fan, contact me for USA trojan battery 12v 200a -N130,000.
If you are for agm SMF battery :
- Hoppecke 12v 90a N96,000
-Long battery 12v 200a N120,000
-Gennex 12v 200a N105,000

Note: USA trojan sealed agm batteries will soon be in stock !

Smartcell global services
081-350-31951

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 1:14pm On Oct 26, 2017
makavele:

hw mach ?

Sold

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 9:32am On Oct 27, 2017
NiyiOmoIyunade:
Oga Pranil, verily, verily, I say unto you, all Controllers are not created equal - you can safely oversize the Morningstar multiple times over the rated PV wattage - although anything over 200% overrating, I would struggle to see the benefit and call it inefficient design.

For the EP Solar E-Tracer series, the manual states the Maximum PV Array Size = LBatt * VmP where LBatt is the maximum battery charging current and VmP is the PV maximum power point voltage. For the 60a EP Solar eTracer used in a 48v nominal battery setup with the common MPPT 3 x 3 config (3 pieces 24v nominal panels in series), that would yield LBatt 60amps * VmP 115volts = 6,900w as the maximum PV array to use (I think the manual specs 6,300w sef) - because there is some play around what the VmP may be for different panels, to be safe I would stop around 6,000W PV array size .

I have no knowledge whatsoever of Midnite because I don't like it and have never used it - a pet beef you might say grin I will let the users and pros tell us what the maximum safe PV over size is if any.

Between, how do you paste pictures so that they stay in the body of the text? I have tried the [img] [/img] tags but only succeeded once - I want to paste an excerpt from the EP Solar manual just like you did.
Very true.
Try substantial oversizing with epSolar and one would soon be shopping for a new CC.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Saipro(m): 9:34am On Oct 27, 2017
pranil:

No amount of oversizing should fry a MPPT CC unless you exceed the VoC. The CC limits the output current to its max rating. Although it is not a good idea to run CC at max current rating as the ratings are usually 40 /45 DEG ambient. and in Nigeria, we can exceed that in closed spaces

The morningstar is notorious for frying on battery breaker trip as it's Transient surge rating is very low. The correct way to restore the system in such a situation is to trip the PV breaker - Allow the CC to cool down and dissipate the residual charge ( usually 5-10 min) switch on battery breaker wait for a minute and then PV breakers one at a time
It is also a good idea to set the battery voltage to fixed value instead of autodetecting especially for 24 and 48 V systems as the CC can be set to a wrong value if you switch on battery and PV in rapid succession

reference -- Quote "
https://www.morningstarcorp.com/advantages-morningstars-dc-coupling-vs-ac-coupling-whitepaper/

You can size Morningstar’s MPPT controllers well above the Maximum Nominal Solar PV Input rating without damaging the controller and without the charging current exceeding the maximum output current rating. The controller can limit output current and will run at 100% of rated current output and not higher. The controller was designed with this power-shaving capability and when oversized it does not void the warranty.” – Tech Article – “Morningstar’s TrakStar™ MPPT Technology & Maximum Input Power”

Trust Pranil for his fact-finding missions. As always, you dig deep for relevant info and share unabashedly. Personally, I love you.

5 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kianoe4400(m): 5:35pm On Oct 27, 2017
dicksonadams:

Thanks in advance

Kindly reach me on dis number for new telecoms battery, custom requested at very affordable price..pure inverter battery.. 08187293417 whatsapp
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pranil(m): 6:19pm On Oct 27, 2017
Saipro:

Trust Pranil for his fact-finding missions. As always, you dig deep for relevant info and share unabashedly. Personally, I love you.

Thank you. My primary aim to help people. and also get knowledge in the process. Nairaland gives a unique local perspective which no other forum can bring. I have made many friends here over the years some of them I have not even met in person.

1 Like

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by BlackBaron: 7:34pm On Oct 27, 2017
@Zeestone99,(Already chatted a bit yesterday) GeorgeD1 (has the most extensive SP project here I think)

Please, can I indulge your knowledge about building a good solar power project.

I have read and still learning about SP. I am looking for one in excess of 4KW plus or more (if needed)to run a bungalow or two. Items such as fridge, tv, low energy LED, washing machine(?), microwave (?)

Say I had the opportunity to purchase all I wanted from abroad at a fairly cheap price, would that make a lot of difference versus buying all from Nigeria?
I have possibilities of getting for example
solar panels
deep cycle batteries (from AGM to lead acid)
Inverter

Would just like to draw on your knowledge on what could be bought to make this set up a very good and worthy setup.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dicksonadams(m): 8:57pm On Oct 27, 2017
kianoe4400:

Kindly reach me on dis number for new telecoms battery, custom requested at very affordable price..pure inverter battery.. 08187293417 whatsapp

What brand do you sell?
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by Mozabo(m): 5:51am On Oct 28, 2017
Want uninterrupted power supply?
Here are just a few reasons why you should Stay connected to the world, be Comfortable at home, work efficiently, preserve perishables, give your loved once the best.
Getting results and taking charge of your life requires you cutting your own part despite the challenges.
stand out from the crowd , power generation is too expensive, constantly buying fuel and repair of generator ,waking up to change over when light comes ,the noise their just has to be a better way to save money on energy bills, be more productive ,have a better resting environment enjoy fun with family and loved ones.
We can imagine how inconvenient it is to generate your own power, coupled with the cost to maintain a generator and the problem of buying good fuel which isn’t readily available and then the noise ahhh!!!.
Mozabo Engineering has been working in the Energy sector since 2012 with a well qualified team and recently nominated as Africa’s Most Innovative Quality Electrical services provider of the year 2017 by AQAA
We would love to be the one you partner with when you decide to install a solar system
Call us today for our current rates as prices
Our solar installation can help you Save money on fuel and maintenance, No noise which means you sleep better at night and be more productive in the mornings , No change over wahala, your Food gets preserved ,Family can watch TV programs when they want ,Laptops and Mobile is always charged.
Little or not enough power supply can affect lighting visibility which can lead to domestic accidents, a sense of insecurity Low productivity, Lots of wasted perishables food and then the High cost of running a gen set, fuelling and maintenance
P/S
Here is a link to our blog on inverter and how it works
Perhaps a deeper understanding would help guide your choice
www.mozabo.com/wp/inverter/

1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by foonshur(m): 9:21am On Oct 28, 2017
Mozabo:

bros, no be car battery I dey see for una picture there?

6 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by liquidcrystal73(m): 12:37pm On Oct 28, 2017
My epever doesnt show battery SOC
How to fix this ?

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by liquidcrystal73(m): 1:57pm On Oct 28, 2017
And battery never enters FLOAT
Battery has been over 14.2v since 9am
and inverter is off but still showing BOOST

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by kiekie1(m): 2:22pm On Oct 28, 2017
liquidcrystal73:
And battery never enters FLOAT
Battery has been over 14.2v since 9am
and inverter is off but still showing BOOST

Your mppt has no issue.. It depends on your preset value & timing for charge hours . if you tamper with old boost/equalization setting of 60 min to 1 hr or above , it stays on boost for longer period of time before reaching float mode ! You can freely contact me for other enquiries ...

Smartcell global services
081-350-31951

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by liquidcrystal73(m): 4:42pm On Oct 28, 2017
Battery finally floated around 2.21pm

220W draw and still floating

Test run passed!!!

Kiekie, thumbs up! You too much !!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by JUO(m): 9:16pm On Oct 28, 2017
liquidcrystal73:
Battery finally floated around 2.21pm

220W draw and still floating

Test run passed!!!

Kiekie, thumbs up! You too much !!!
the cc will do better if you double/series the panel voltage. For you to achieve this on epever you have over 300w of panels
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by liquidcrystal73(m): 10:45pm On Oct 28, 2017
JUO:
the cc will do better if you double/series the panel voltage. For you to achieve this on epever you have over 300w of panels

Just a test run, Panels are quadruple that power.
i believe series/parallel don’t matter for mppt
because power cannot be created or destroyed
just converted from one form to another
if u do the calculation; it amounts to the same power whether via series or parallel
i might be wrong though.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dapsyra(m): 11:51pm On Oct 28, 2017
liquidcrystal73:

Just a test run, Panels are quadruple that power.
i believe series/parallel don’t matter for mppt
because power cannot be created or destroyed
just converted from one form to another
if u do the calculation; it amounts to the same power whether via series or parallel
i might be wrong though.

Yes, it amount to the same power at the point of generation, that is, Panel end but different at the CC end due to cable loss.

Parallel connections will result in higher current, lower voltage. The higher the current, the more the power lost in the cables

Series connection will result in lower current, higher voltage thereby minimising the power lost in the cable.

If you are not using appropriately rated cables for the installation, the cable loss can be very significant.

2 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 7:51am On Oct 29, 2017
dicksonadams:

What brand do you sell?

Quanta
Monbat
Long
Gaston
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 7:52am On Oct 29, 2017
BlackBaron:
@Zeestone99,(Already chatted a bit yesterday) GeorgeD1 (has the most extensive SP project here I think)

Please, can I indulge your knowledge about building a good solar power project.

I have read and still learning about SP. I am looking for one in excess of 4KW plus or more (if needed)to run a bungalow or two. Items such as fridge, tv, low energy LED, washing machine(?), microwave (?)

Say I had the opportunity to purchase all I wanted from abroad at a fairly cheap price, would that make a lot of difference versus buying all from Nigeria?
I have possibilities of getting via eBay or Gumtree for example
solar panels
deep cycle batteries (from AGM to lead acid)
Inverter

Would just like to draw on your knowledge on what could be bought to make this set up a very good and worthy setup.

It all depends on choice, u can buy here or import, jst get the right Materials, u ll b fine.
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by dicksonadams(m): 8:39am On Oct 29, 2017
zeestone99:

Quanta
Monbat
Long
Gaston

Great please how much is 200ah thanks
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 1:40pm On Oct 29, 2017
dicksonadams:

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by zeestone99(m): 1:48pm On Oct 29, 2017
dicksonadams:

Quanta 130k
Whatapp 08117398294
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by pranil(m): 3:23pm On Oct 29, 2017
Epever users I need tips and tricks

I just Got EPEVER Tracer 4210 A , SHI 1000 Pure inverter, Wifi Box , USB cable and temp sensor - all 24 Volts. In preparation for my wind turbine experiment, 12 V 150 AH AGM . The idea is to use my excess equipment to power BQ independently and feedback excess power to main house using Ac coupled grid-tied micro inverter

Two 300 watt wind turbines on their way

On first look, I am disappointed on multiple fronts

The Wifi box does not work with inverter but works with charge controller ( both have RS485 com ports)
The USB cable works with Inverter but not with charge controller ( explanation next point)
For PC there is no software for setting monitoring for charge controller ( only android - not even in play store )
For inverter, there is android software but since the wifi box does not work ( not even powers on) no way of checking
No back light on CC at all ! not even with a button

The whole software experience is clunky at best. The hardware looks nicely built through with proper heatsinks and terminals etc.
Managed to make 1.5 KWH from my old 600 watts Chinese no brand panels ( rebuilt junction box, corroded tracks etc.)
Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by liquidcrystal73(m): 5:02pm On Oct 29, 2017
Dead controller 24 hours into test-run . . .

Please advise

CC: Pranil, bigrovar, zeestone99, pranil, DMerciful, Saipro, Kiekie1

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by liquidcrystal73(m): 5:05pm On Oct 29, 2017
Controller just stopped working mid-day
and almost fried my 12v bank . . .. battery voltage went high as 16v
embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by DUNKA(m): 5:58pm On Oct 29, 2017
liquidcrystal73:
Controller just stopped working mid-day
and almost fried my 12v bank . . .. battery voltage went high as 16v
embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed
Bros sorry for the loss

3 Likes

Re: Solar Energy, A Complement To FTA by liquidcrystal73(m): 6:12pm On Oct 29, 2017
DUNKA:
Bros sorry for the loss

Just about 36 hours !

A "wonderful loss" it is !

Mr. K K; come and carry your CC

Tnx

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (299) (300) (301) (302) (303) (304) (305) ... (1690) (Reply)

FTA Live Football Matches Announcement Thread / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread

Viewing this topic: 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.